Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
would be good for the series if they pulled a COD and had PD and a different studio trading off on each release while sharing assets/engine. This series needs fresh blood.
Sadly won't happen. Kaz whenever it's suggested another Dev works on a GT game:

Magic No GIF by Morphin

He resisted even outsourcing car modelling for way too long.

Sadly won't happen. Kaz whenever it's suggested another Dev works on a GT game:

Magic No GIF by Morphin

He resisted even outsourcing car modelling for way too long.
Oh, I know it. just injecting my unwarranted opinion

You can add God of War: Ragnarok to the list of major AAA titles delayed from this year. Place it on the list with Breath of the Wild 2, Starfield, Suicide Squad, Pragmata, Test Drive and goodness knows how many others. I’m sure many more will be announced soon.

The problem with anecdotes is we all have ‘em and they tend to confirm our own biases. In my case all of my GT group are enjoying themselves. Even a streamer friend, who has his issues, is on everyday. More surprising are casual gamer friends deep into GT7 who I’d never imagine playing a sim. A stark contrast to my GT Sport experience.

Forums do have a tendency to become echo chambers. Especially now social media is used for general chat and news discussion.
Games always get delayed and always have, that's not a new phenomenon that started in 2020.
So what's your point? That GT7 should have been delayed into 2023? If so I couldn't agree more. I still don't think it would be a complete game by then, but maybe we'd at least have had an actual GT career mode as opposed to a tutorial dressed-up to initially appear to be a career mode.

Yes, you've got your anecdotes, and why am I not surprised that every single person you know is a complete convert to GT7, lol. Had I ever seen you criticize the game I might believe you but every post seems to be a deflection of the issues onto some nebulous culprit that affects the industry writ-large, and not PD themselves. However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but check back in with those people when they're done with the menu books and see how enthusiastic they are to play the game at that point. The first 30-50hr is great, I've said that multiple times. The driving experience is great (in a vacuum). It's everything after that point that sucks donkey balls, and I'm guessing your friends will either a) uninstall the game and never play it again b) start bitching about not having any content or the poor lobbies/degradation of Sport mode like everyone I know that has nothing left to do but tediously grind WTC events in order to buy the cars they want.

Last edited:
Depends on who you ask, those that play the game on a daily basis are enjoying themselves, even with the obvious shortcomings.
Those that spend more time bitching about the game and posting in month old threads going in circles about how bad the game is instead of actual playing the game might prefer to travel back in time and relive GT5 and 6

Each to his own.
I’m enjoying it. Best GT yet, I haven’t played anything else since release.

The game is broken in so many ways… But the biggest one is micro transactions… Kaz did a bad job in implementing high pay out races across the board instead of just 4 which will cause you to grind just those races…Also its terrible that even if you can afford to buy the overpriced cars majority of them you can’t use in a race unless it’s a custom race…Also its sad how some people go hard on these forums saying all we do is complain which is crazy because the game is far from perfect and its inferior compared to the older games 5-10 years older which is inexcusable… Isn’t that the point of being on a message board to have discussions/debates about the game which is legitimate arguments? Why even go on a message board if you’re not ready to handle people’s opinions
This - Kaz said when the Fisherman's Ranch grind got nerf'd that he didn't want people grinding the same events over and over. Fast forward 2 months and there's only a few more events, and everyone's grinding them still.

I'm definitely enjoying it more than GT6. For me GT6 was the original GT formula beginning to go stale. It all felt the same. It didn't help that it came at the end of the PS3's lifecycle, that made it feel dated too.

On the whole GT7 is a much better game, but times have changed and PD's usual approach of arrogant silence isn't doing them or the game any favours.

I'm curious what makes you say this, beyond trolling.

What exactly does GT7 have that makes it "the best yet"? It demonstrably has less for the player to do than any game before it (with the exception of Prologue).
Hey fella, cut it with the trolling comment to anyone who doesn’t agree with you. Magogs post pretty much covers all the reasons I believe this is the best GT yet.

I'm curious what makes you say this, beyond trolling.
That's uncalled for.
What exactly does GT7 have that makes it "the best yet"? It demonstrably has less for the player to do than any game before it (with the exception of Prologue).
Can you back that statement up, remembering that events aren't the only thing that make up a game?

I'm not sure how you can say GT 1 has demonstrably more to do when it has less cars, less tracks, no online modes, no livery editor, no scapes and probably a few more things I can't remember.

That's uncalled for.

Can you back that statement up, remembering that events aren't the only thing that make up a game?

I'm not sure how you can say GT 1 has demonstrably more to do when it has less cars, less tracks, no online modes, no livery editor, no scapes and probably a few more things I can't remember.
Right. If many are saying GT7 is the worse. What was the worse before then, to those same people?
Also, if sales don't tell the whole story about a game's worth, why isn't GT7 arguably NOT the worse?

Last edited:
That's uncalled for.

GTSport contains the same single player as GT7. events, license tests, missions, and circuit experience. GTSport adds in game achievements for photos, drifting, liking other liveries, etc, etc. GTSport also has player growth through the XP System. So, although not a massive difference, it is, strictly speaking, more for the player to do, besides events.

@CHEN255 @FPV MIC

Where to begin?

GT4 and GT5 are both widely considered the best GTs so far. I think you'll find little support around here to the contrary.

GT4 had true endurance events:
  • Nürburgring 24h Endurance
  • Circuit de la Sarthe 24h
  • Motegi 8hr Endurance
GT5 also had 24 hour races (they are a month of game play all to themselves)

Gt4, Gt5, and GT6 had B spec, which essentially doubles the game. (super cool B-spec racing the 24 hour races)

GT5 Bspec allowed you to nurture your drivers, which was an interesting meta game in itself.

GT2 had 650 cars, which is more (Gt5 had more, but we all know about the premium standard thing, so I won't count it)

Gt5 and GT6 had track editors

GT6 had 100 tracks

So, in terms of just content and features and play time, it's less than the others. There's still, for the first time in it 25 year history, no ability to load your ghost.

It might be on GTSport (personally, I prefer Sport so far).

The statement that Gt7 is somehow the "best ever" when it's demonstrably inferior in terms of content, and for many, in terms of experience, seems like it needs some qualification. So, ya, what makes you say it's "the best yet" beyond being new?

GTSport contains the same single player as GT7. events, license tests, missions, and circuit experience. GTSport adds in game achievements for photos, drifting, liking other liveries, etc, etc. GTSport also has player growth through the XP System. So, although not a massive difference, it is, strictly speaking, more for the player to do, besides events.

@CHEN255 @FPV MIC

Where to begin?

GT4 and GT5 are both widely considered the best GTs so far. I think you'll find little support around here to the contrary.

• Motegi 8hr Endurance

Gt4, Gt5, and GT6 had B spec, which essentially doubles the game. (super cool B-spec racing the 24 hour races)

GT5 Bspec allowed you to nurture your drivers, which was an interesting meta game in itself.

GT2 had 650 cars, which is more (Gt5 had more, but we all know about the premium standard thing, so I won't count it)

GT6 had 100 tracks

So, in terms of just content and features and play time, it's less than the others. There's still, for the first time in it 25 year history, no ability to load your ghost.

The statement that Gt7 is somehow the "best ever" when it's demonstrably inferior in terms of content, and for many, in terms of experience, seems like it needs some qualification. So, ya, what makes you say it's "the best yet" beyond being new?
I specifically said GT1 and you've mentioned every game except GT1. And you've just cherry picked bits and pieces out of every other game, like GT2 having more cars. What about online, livery editor and scapes?

This is your statement I asked you to back up.

Please show me this in regards to GT1.

Edit: Oh and FYI, I hated B-Spec and found it pointless and boring so it did little to add to the games for me.

Last edited:

@CHEN255 @FPV MIC

Where to begin?

• Motegi 8hr Endurance

GT6 had 100 tracks

GT7 has larger grids and better ai than most of those titles. It has online multiplayer, as did GT Sport. The audio and graphics are now also leaps and bounds ahead. We have changeable weather and time of day too. And which title was it that had premium and standard cars (disgraceful!)? I haven’t played any of my other games since GT7 released. That was never the case with any previous GT title (or any other game), so yes, for me this is unequivocally the best GT to date.

Last edited:
Hey fella, cut it with the trolling comment to anyone who doesn’t agree with you. Magogs post pretty much covers all the reasons I believe this is the best GT yet.
This new GT game it is the worst ever designed game because it is not even a proper GT numbered game, all the game is a GT Sports type game. People saying GT7 is the best game yet are kind of sick, because they no nothing about how a proper GT numbered should be designed and played.
I say it's a very poorly designed game because it's way different than what a Numbered game should be about, and it has nothing that make me what to play it anymore, and this is someone who knows and been playing only GT numbered games for many many years. If PD kept to the way like other GT numbered game were made, then I would totally be playing this game.

Really GT7 is no more than a GT Sport type game, and it is definitely not like a true numbered one. This is why so many people are very disappointed in this game and the way it was designed, and it is very poorly designed game by PD.

Kaz must have smoked plenty of weed to produce such trash like a game called GT7, and he did not smoke any weed at all we might have had a proper NUMBERED GAME.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss. That joke aside, it speaks volumes that GT7's current state — a game that was a "return to form" or whatever the official marketing jargon claimed — makes even GT Sport look like a better game.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss. That joke aside, it speaks volumes that GT7's current state — a game that was a "return to form" or whatever the official marketing jargon claimed — makes even GT Sport look like a better game.
C'mon, T. GT Sport can't even do the WTC 800 at Spa and the WTC700 at Le Mans.

It doesn't have the customisation like GT7.

It doesn't have the custom race options like GT7.

For the solo player that does not venture to Sport Mode, the Missions, World Championships and Custom Race options, make GT7 better than GT Sport.

What's worse than not having the options available to us in GT7?

Defo the worst launch GT.
I felt like GT6 had a shoddy launch, purely because it was released on PS3 after I had purchased a PS4... but the game itself was pretty solid... It felt like an expansion of GT5 more than a new game but overall it was solid.

Gt7 seemed great on launch but as soon as those cafe missions were finished, the game was over. The cafe menu felt like a tutorial mode and I was expecting it to unlock a series of events that you could freely go between at the end of it but there was nothing.
The fact that PD released 3 new menu books x2 updates ago makes the dream of a series menu being unlocked far more unlikely that it already was.

The only fun left in this game for me is a weekly race meet up with a bunch of mates but even that is riddled with the broken lobbies and a couple of players seem to be incompatible to play with each other... This is something that should never of been as issue and somehow its still being ignored by PD 3 months in (Note that it isn't mentioned under "known issues")

Kaz makes statements about the game but the actions don't back up those statements. Currently I have no faith in PD and believe Kaz to be a lier.

As others have mentioned, this is really annoying because the game was marketed to be amazing but its just not what a full priced, full release of GT should be. The main problem here is that this game has all the bones to be the best GT but PD seem intent of dumbing down the content and making it a MTX generator. Plus drip feeding content so slowly that this game will always feel incomplete to the day 1 adopters but may feel complete to anyone who purchases the game in 2-3 years.

This game is one decent update away from being a great GT, it would only take a month at most for the programmers to make this happen

Last edited:
That joke aside, it speaks volumes that GT7's current state — a game that was a "return to form" or whatever the official marketing jargon claimed — makes even GT Sport look like a better game.
I completely disagree with this. GT Sport was not the GT game we asked for and it was particularly frustrating as a result. The physics were screwed over for no reason, the so-called "GT League" was a waste of space because it didn't have any prize cars, you couldn't modify your car in GT Auto, there wasn't a tuning shop, you couldn't upgrade your brakes, the track and car list was pathetic at launch, there wasn't a used car dealer, you couldn't create custom races from cars in your garage and you didn't have any championships.
A game that doesn't feel like I'm being held over the barrel to dump time or especially money into it, in order to get anywhere.
You aren't. Honestly, you can play the game without spending money on microtransactions.

You aren't. Honestly, you can play the game without spending money on microtransactions.
The very fact that Polyphony instituted the micro-transactions on day one of general release, and the fact that they have spoken (and indeed, instituted) raising prices on vehicles, specifically Legendary vehicles, blows a hole in this theory. Likewise, the fact that every action that requires you to spend credits has a redirect to buy micro-transactions speaks highly that Polyphony wants you to top up your credits with micro-transactions, which flies in the face of the belief that you can play the game without spending money.

The very fact that Polyphony instituted the micro-transactions on day one of general release, and the fact that they have spoken (and indeed, instituted) raising prices on vehicles, specifically Legendary vehicles, blows a hole in this theory. Likewise, the fact that every action that requires you to spend credits has a redirect to buy micro-transactions speaks highly that Polyphony wants you to top up your credits with micro-transactions, which flies in the face of the belief that you can play the game without spending money.
I've literally played the game without spending a single dollar on microtransactions. It's not like Clash Of Clans.

Last edited:
C'mon, T. GT Sport can't even do the WTC 800 at Spa and the WTC700 at Le Mans.
I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke that's poking fun at GT7 or not.
It doesn't have the customisation like GT7.
I mean, yes, customization is a thing in GT7. It's a bit one-dimensional though as there aren't any races to take a fully upgraded car into, unless said fully upgraded car already falls into one of the PP tiers. Or you race online, and I have no idea what the restrictions are there.
It doesn't have the custom race options like GT7.
I'm seeing this used more and more as a supplement for GT7's blatant lack of content. It's a great feature but it shouldn't have to carry the weight of the game around it, all the while not being anywhere near as rewarding.
For the solo player that does not venture to Sport Mode, the Missions, World Championships and Custom Race options, make GT7 better than GT Sport.

What's worse than not having the options available to us in GT7?
A game that somehow has more races in it than the game marketed as a complete experience and a return to form; form that GT Sport somehow has...more of. I don't understand.
I completely disagree with this. GT Sport was not the GT game we asked for and it was particularly frustrating as a result.
And GT7 is?
The physics were screwed over for no reason
I'm unsure of what you mean here. If you mean the cars weren't sliding across the tarmac as if the tires were perpetually bald, that's a good thing. Race cars do not handle the way the game portrayed them as in vanilla GT7.

If you mean something else, please, elaborate.

the so-called "GT League" was a waste of space because it didn't have any prize cars
Granted. Still more than GT7 has though.
you couldn't modify your car in GT Auto, there wasn't a tuning shop, you couldn't upgrade your brakes
Also granted. Though, again, this plays back into the lack of events issue to make this worthwhile.
the track and car list was pathetic at launch
"At launch" isn't the qualifier here. We're comparing GT Sport as it is in June 2022 to GT7 as it is in June 2022.

I've literally played the game without spending a single dollar on microtransactions.
And so have I. That doesn't take away from the fact that Polyphony, through no fault of their own, wants you to spend money on micro-transactions, and that the only way to make significant money and buy the Legendary cars they expect you to collect, is either by giving in and buying them, giving them direct profit, or playing the game, mechanically, trying to find the best grinding strategies, which makes play time look better for stock holders. Instead of, you know, playing the game naturally.

And GT7 is?
Yes!
I'm unsure of what you mean here. If you mean the cars weren't sliding across the tarmac as if the tires were perpetually bald, that's a good thing. Race cars do not handle the way the game portrayed them as in vanilla GT7.
The cars were given way too much understeer and it got soo bad for me that I had to stop playing the game. When I played GT7 for the first time, it felt much closer to that of Assetto Corsa and I was very pleased.
"At launch" isn't the qualifier here. We're comparing GT Sport as it is in June 2022 to GT7 as it is in June 2022.
GT Sport is still worse.

CBH
This new GT game it is the worst ever designed game because it is not even a proper GT numbered game, all the game is a GT Sports type game. People saying GT7 is the best game yet are kind of sick,
And here we are. This is the inevitable end point when you have a platform that tolerates such ****posting.

Attempts to railroad those who have a different view over a videogame. This is not representative of the wider community. I know plenty of latent GT Planet posters who have stepped away because of the toxicity. I’m seeing a few more people speaking up and putting forward a more balanced view. Which is good to see.

This is factually untrue. I haven’t spent a penny on credits, had no inclination too, and have no plans too.

In past GT’s I’ve always collected cars over the lifespan of the game through regular play. That won’t change. The only real money I will pay is if we get a DLC pack like Pikes Peak.

I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke that's poking fun at GT7 or not.

I mean, yes, customization is a thing in GT7. It's a bit one-dimensional though as there aren't any races to take a fully upgraded car into, unless said fully upgraded car already falls into one of the PP tiers. Or you race online, and I have no idea what the restrictions are there.

I'm seeing this used more and more as a supplement for GT7's blatant lack of content. It's a great feature but it shouldn't have to carry the weight of the game around it, all the while not being anywhere near as rewarding.

A game that somehow has more races in it than the game marketed as a complete experience and a return to form; form that GT Sport somehow has...more of. I don't understand.

And GT7 is?

If you mean something else, please, elaborate.

Granted. Still more than GT7 has though.

Also granted. Though, again, this plays back into the lack of events issue to make this worthwhile.

I asked, in an earlier post, what was the worse GT before GT7?

Look at the creations and photos you yourself take. How is that worse than GT Sport ?

The cars we all create, can be used in whatever race they are regulated to. How does that hat make it the worse and/or coming to be the worse in the GT Series?

I've said the worse PD have done, is actually give us the b st tools out of any GT game, but executed poorly. This game IS bad. Linearly. From the Standpoint of those wanting to be lead through an organised progression. Yes. It's bad. It's not the worse and/or becoming the worse.

How worse it than GT5 & 6? I can't recall because I was happy to just a race cars I liked.
Same with pretty much all the GT games.

Last edited:
This is not representative of the wider community. I know plenty of latent GT Planet posters who have stepped away because of the toxicity. I’m seeing a few more people speaking up and putting forward a more balanced view. Which is good to see.
Then raise it with the moderators instead of trying to tut-tut people.

This is factually untrue. I haven’t spent a penny on credits, had no inclination too, and have no plans too.
You and others on this forum, myself included, may not, but others will. Micro-transactions are a predatory practice, one built upon wringing weaker willed players out of their money based around FOMO. You can make arguments that the practice can be mitigated and accepted around things like cosmetics, but the fact of the matter is that GT7 was built upon using micro-transactions, and many of the game's features are also built around MTX's, and the fear of missing out. The entire Legendary and Used Car Dealership racket being the prime examples, both features that have incredibly little purpose other then to drive people to either grind, or more preferably, spend actual money to get the cars they want from these two specific portions of the game.

Or playing the game, mechanically, trying to find the best grinding strategies, which makes play time look better for stock holders. Instead of, you know, playing the game naturally.
You say this as if nobody has ever done this before.

Yes!

The cars were given way too much understeer and it got soo bad for me that I had to stop playing the game. When I played GT7 for the first time, it felt much closer to that of Assetto Corsa and I was very pleased.

GT Sport is still worse.
PD must have screwed it up then, as after going back to GT Sport this week, the first thing I noticed is that my cars turn much better. Less understeer without spinning out, at least in GR.3. At launch GT7 many GR.3 cars were undriveable on controller. I tried a few at Daytona and the slightest steering input at T1 made many simply spin out, some not turn at all. (The couple I could afford that is, no rent option yet and low on credits. Takes over 10 hours of online races to earn one GR.3 car)

They patched it too much the other direction though, now GT7 feels rather dull to drive. Especially since grass and kerbs are still much more forgiving, which makes online racing quite a lot worse. People are far less careful not to go off track. In GT7 the track often feels like a suggestion than where you need to keep your car inside the lines.

GT Sport is still better. GT7 still has many problems with the road cars while BoP is much worse for the daily races.

Last edited:
Back