Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
This entire paragraph more or less outlines the truth that so much of GT7's entire gameplay loop is predicated on micro-transactions, and that people saying 'oh, well I never bought any, so what's the issue?' are effectively lying to themselves, and ignoring the fact that other weaker willed people will be compelled to buy micro-transactions (specifically for Legendary cars, but also Used Cars) and that many of GT7's worse aspects are built around micro-transactions.
Why are we supposed to feel this way about microtransactions? Am I not allowed to say that it doesn't bother me? Or is that illegal? Yes I understand how it can be a problem but don't start insulting those who aren't phased by it because it shows us that you don't care about the other side of the coin. Yes, the game may very well be considered predatory and I'm not suggesting for one second that it is right, but don't suggest that those who are happily playing it are "lying to themselves". No, we're not, we just like the game.

These really are unrealistic expectations. All of them? For many cars it isn't even possible, but even if we include cars that they could still get, it's just too many to model in such high quality. The only way they could manage it is to continue the "standard cars" garbage. We really don't need PS2 car models on PS5. Alternatively, they could upscale the models like Forza has done up to this point, but it's still too many cars to do that with in one game. As for tracks, it's still too many. Yes, there should have been more returning tracks, but some just could not be added, and the quantity would make it an incredibly huge task. Players also expect plenty of new cars and tracks, which... well, they didn't even manage one, so people are disappointed anyway.
GT Sport launched with low content, Just 168 cars and 39 tracks (at 17 locations), yet the game was a complete rebuild, new physics engine, new graphics engine (HDR Rec.2020) meaning it had 168 cars build from the ground up and 39 tracks build from the ground up.

GT7 is using the same physics engine, same graphics engine (with a bit of RT on top) and managed 4 'new' tracks and about 90 new cars. What has PD been doing all this time? They did add dynamic weather but only on some tracks (11) and 24 hour day/night cycle is also only available on select tracks.

Did 2/3rds of the people get fired at PD? GT7 feels like it was made by a skeleton crew on autopilot.

GT Sport launched with low content, Just 168 cars and 39 tracks (at 17 locations), yet the game was a complete rebuild, new physics engine, new graphics engine (HDR Rec.2020) meaning it had 168 cars build from the ground up and 39 tracks build from the ground up.

GT7 is using the same physics engine, same graphics engine (with a bit of RT on top) and managed 4 'new' tracks and about 90 new cars. What has PD been doing all this time? They did add dynamic weather but only on some tracks (11) and 24 hour day/night cycle is also only available on select tracks.

Did 2/3rds of the people get fired at PD? GT7 feels like it was made by a skeleton crew on autopilot.
Perhaps you should go over there and tell them what you really think and get the plane back on course!

Assuming they didn't just give up making the game at some point, it's probably all being saved to be added in later. That's the GaaS way, unfortunately.

They have tracks and cars coming for sure. Menu books with new races are pretty much guaranteed. Even dynamic weather and time cycles could be a late inclusion for some tracks, as it was for Spa. We have no idea what their plans are or what's been arbitrarily held back. But really, they should've seen this coming. 3 months in and the game still barely has anything over GT Sport. Of course people will feel that the game is unfinished... because it is. They know it is. Because either they released the game early and this future content isn't finished yet, or it is finished and they've decided to wait to add it in.

Perhaps you should go over there and tell them what you really think and get the plane back on course!
I don't think they would listen, and it seems people agree with me...

I posted my ideas early in GT Sport's lifecycle on the official PS blog, fixes for the SR and penalty system and it got removed lol.

@AutumnalGlow PD is already behind the update schedule GT Sport had. We had a complete new track by now (Monza) and many more new cars, plus the start of GT League. GT7 has added less races and a pit lane change on Spa with a couple flood lights added in for night racing.

GT Sport used to add a new track / variation every other month until December 2019
I know there is a pandemic, yet 2020 passed, 2021 passed, game launched in March. 27 months after the last new track was added to GT Sport, or at their pace prior to the pandemic, 13 new tracks. We got 4...

No idea why PD can't communicate an update schedule like every other GAAS title. It would help a lot to at least know where the game is going. Yet they can't even give us a timeline for something as simple as selling cars... The delete button is already there, all it needs is add some credits to your balance when you 'delete' a car. Why is it so hard? Cause it goes against MTX profits is all I can think of.

These really are unrealistic expectations. All of them? For many cars it isn't even possible, but even if we include cars that they could still get, it's just too many to model in such high quality. The only way they could manage it is to continue the "standard cars" garbage. We really don't need PS2 car models on PS5. Alternatively, they could upscale the models like Forza has done up to this point, but it's still too many cars to do that with in one game. As for tracks, it's still too many. Yes, there should have been more returning tracks, but some just could not be added, and the quantity would make it an incredibly huge task. Players also expect plenty of new cars and tracks, which... well, they didn't even manage one, so people are disappointed anyway.
As @GTboyz said all the premium cars from GT5 and GT6 should have been already in, but more cars & tracks would be nice for GT7.

GT7 should not be about waiting for content from previous numbered games to come in, this is why GT7 is so disappointing game and are going in the wrong direction with it, which is heading over a cliff.

Because of members like you, I use the ignore function extensively - one side effect of this, is that many, many threads, and posts don't show up for me (unless I click the little linky) - so you may well be right, I may well have missed a lot of discussion on the topic - but, that doesn't change the fact, I'm playing the game as PD intended (i.e. no grinding, no AFK etc. etc.), and have not felt compelled to use MTX's at any stage. It's unfortunate that you have, what else can I say?
Then you haven't played GT7 as PD intended.
The game is designed and created around pushing people to MTX, if you haven't purchased any, you haven't played the game as intended.
But it's clear that your arrogance won't see this.

Gt7 is full of great features... loads of them in fact... for the most part, better than any previous GT's.
But Gt7 is the worst GAME... The GAME itself is designed in such a horrible way that most feel (including myself) that all the great features are worthless and therefore makes this the worst title in the series.

IE: Great cars, physics, graphics, livery editor, car customization and sounds.... but all of that is an absolute waste of money if the game is built in the way it is... its more of a MTX generator than a GT game

Last edited:
CBH
That's right. I still can't understand why PD wants to add thing from previous numbered games like cars & tracks for, really them things should be there at the start of the game not slowly drip fed. I don't think selling cars is going to be a game changer, even if it was already in at the start of the game. For selling cars you mostly likely to get peanuts for them anyway, so your better of winning races if you want more credits.
It still puzzles me to why we don't we get online type seasonal races like in GT6 in every 2 weeks, they were good with big credits payouts due to the login bonus.

GT7 should have had all cars from previous numbered games already in.
GT7 should have all track from previous numbered games already in.
GT7 should have had online seasonal type races like from GT6 every 2 weeks.
If all of the thing I mentioned were in the latest GT game well I would be given PD a lot heaps of praise for their effort, but the effort PD has put into GT7 is very poor compared to previous numbered games.
No, but GT7 should have been at least as complete in terms of feature as all the previous games combined. Some features have come and gone over the years. On top of my mind, the fact that we could export the telemetry in GT6, why is it not there ? It's a niche feature but it's really cool, and I mean they've already done it..

These really are unrealistic expectations. All of them? For many cars it isn't even possible, but even if we include cars that they could still get, it's just too many to model in such high quality. The only way they could manage it is to continue the "standard cars" garbage. We really don't need PS2 car models on PS5. Alternatively, they could upscale the models like Forza has done up to this point, but it's still too many cars to do that with in one game. As for tracks, it's still too many. Yes, there should have been more returning tracks, but some just could not be added, and the quantity would make it an incredibly huge task.
Not ALL the cars, but the "premium" cars from the Ps3 era is totally feasible. Most devs have exporting tools that do the basic setup for a car to convert it from an in game model to a game model. PD likely does this, because doing it manually would be an enormous amount of work.

The VGTs, for instance, and not new models. The VGTs that lacked interiors in GT6, still lack interiors. The Ferrari F430 is just the GT5 car. The 69Z28, the 70 Challenger, etc. There are a few cars, like the Dino, that was lackluster in GT6 and was redone somewhat for GTSport.

It's 100% feasible for them to include all those missing GT5 and GT6 premiums. I want those pretuned cars from Prologue.

It's one of the reasons the new pricing is frustrating. The F40 is the same car since GT5, I've bought in 3 times already, and now I have to spend 6x the credits (3mil vs 450k)
Players also expect plenty of new cars and tracks, which... well, they didn't even manage one, so people are disappointed anyway.
I think this is a factor of youthfulness. I for one, being a little more ... ahem...vintage, prefer when they add the older cars like the CSL twins and such. I draw the line at the prewar stuff because those seem quite pointless (at least the ones the selected).

It's one of the things that I think they do well. Here is my widebody GT40 that I made into a LeMans winning replica

There are three very similar threads. This one, the one about GT7 being demotivating, and the one about gt7 "failing" to be a true GT.

Although the titles and topics are polarizing, the positives and negatives are not mutually exclusive.

At it's core, the game is decent. Good graphics. Good physics. Good car selection. Good tracks.

Could it be "the worst" - I say yes, because it doesn't really bring a new hook to the game or a new evolution of any feature. Is it strictly the worst gameplay wise, no, but it should have brought something new to the table, and that "new" thing should not have been a soul crushing economy.

Is it demotivating - Yes. Again, it doesn't need to be terrible to suck away your motivation to play. I mostly farm credits in the hope that they update key elements to make these soul crushing purchases more useful. The single player events are tedious and repetitive, and that's a fairly universal sentiment. Again, this speaks to evolving the core features and making them more engaging, which should be the core task of any game's design.

Is it "failing" to be a true GT - That seems to be the trend. GT6 stumbled on lacklustre art quality (likely from a poor outsourcing partner) and no real "hook". It was basically GT5 with some extra tech. GTSport, well, that's been covered to death. GT7 is essentially GtSport at this time. Putting the used cars and GT Auto back in doesn't really put it back on track. They'd have to really change things up to right the ship.

GT1 to GT2. GT3 to GT4. Looks like it takes 3 years or so to get the car count, track count, and content numbers up to where people want them. GT Sport day 1 vs Gt 7 day 1. Clearly online functionality takes up content space as well.

Assuming they didn't just give up making the game at some point, it's probably all being saved to be added in later. That's the GaaS way, unfortunately.

They have tracks and cars coming for sure. Menu books with new races are pretty much guaranteed. Even dynamic weather and time cycles could be a late inclusion for some tracks, as it was for Spa. We have no idea what their plans are or what's been arbitrarily held back. But really, they should've seen this coming. 3 months in and the game still barely has anything over GT Sport. Of course people will feel that the game is unfinished... because it is. They know it is. Because either they released the game early and this future content isn't finished yet, or it is finished and they've decided to wait to add it in.
I don’t know about the PDLogic. Kaz didn’t know the players would be upset about burning GT to the ground? He didn’t even know players are still playing the old games. They didn’t see the backlash coming with the lack of GT/solo play events. He/still didn’t see the backlash that would spawn from MTX.
Matter of fact, his answer to backlash from Licence tests for veteran players was:

Having said all of that, Yamauchi acknowledged how that might come across to franchise’s long-term, hard-core fans, and directly acknowledged recent criticisms. “Some of the core users of Gran Turismo might feel a lot of this stuff that’s appearing in the game to be kind of redundant and explaining too much. There will be characters appearing in car dealerships, in the tuning shops, and at the races, explaining all these different things to them, and I’m sure some of them will be like ‘Oh, just skip all this, we don’t need this’.

“But I want them to kind of remember the feeling they had when they first started playing these games, when they first discovered all of these things for themselves, and imagine how this will get across to the new generation.”

That’s a bit oxymoronic. Discover these things for themselves. That doesn’t mean being force fed as what GT7 has done.
If I recall from all my years of playing, there were no talking heads telling me how to play GT1-GT4. Only the later games, with Jeff Gordon, Vettel and somewhat, Hamilton(which was optional anyway).

Last edited:
Because of members like you, I use the ignore function extensively
That's rude. He didn't even say anything about how hideous the new 7 series is.

one side effect of this, is that many, many threads, and posts don't show up for me (unless I click the little linky) - so you may well be right, I may well have missed a lot of discussion on the topic - but, that doesn't change the fact, I'm playing the game as PD intended (i.e. no grinding, no AFK etc. etc.), and have not felt compelled to use MTX's at any stage. It's unfortunate that you have, what else can I say?
I don't see why you think lying about the subject makes you look any more clever. You're ignoring it because it's convenient for the glass house you've constructed to ignore it; just like that time you were banned for it. Since you can't ignore members of the moderation staff, several of which have been quite vocal about the topic of the microtransaction implementation and one of which has done so in this thread, you're certainly not ignoring it because you've not seen any posts talking about it.

Last edited:
I'm having a Mandella effect moment. I looked it up and you are correct, but I totally remember them being an acquisition after Omega Boost came out and Sony wanted them dedicated to Gran Turismo...crazy how memory works. I would have bet my life on it.
You're probably thinking of when they rebranded from Polys Entertainment to Polyohony Digital, which was after GT1.

I actually sold my ps5 2 days ago...

Enjoy boys.
I haven't touched mine in well over a month now. Just used it once to confirm daily races are still worse on ps5 and now just sticking to GT Sport on ps4. My oldest is the lucky one, uses it to play Rust mainly.

The Series X is a nice replacement and Forza 7's campaign is keeping me engaged. Looking forward to Forza 8, but Turn 10 can no doubt also go the GAAS way with MTX at every screen.

The Series X is a nice replacement and Forza 7's campaign is keeping me engaged. Looking forward to Forza 8, but Turn 10 can no doubt also go the GAAS way with MTX at every screen.
GaaS, almost definitely. With Game Pass, Microsoft has plenty of reason to push their developers into this. However, after entirely abandoning MTX years ago, I think the odds are pretty low of MTX being a problem.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft was willing to step into that mess again after having to completely redesign Forza 7 following the backlash it got on release before they were even able to monetize it.
The only thing they really redesigned were the loot boxes, which was very needed, but it was never monetized and probably never would have been. They just replaced it with a rotating shop with all of the loot box items appearing randomly.

100% certain to add more cars and tracks to keep it interesting it can still be the best and keep getting better.
New cars & tracks to make it interesting yes, but waiting for cars & tracks from previous numbered games to come in is a huge let down, on what supposed to be a numbered game. PD latest numbered one is a mockery because of adding things from previous numbered games, and also the designed of this latest game.

You say It can still be the best and keep getting better, for what content from previous numbered games to come in and make it better. These thing should be already in the game and not DRIP FED from previous games, it is totally ridiculous on what PD is doing to this latest game, that once was a good numbered game up to now.

In theory GT7 should have been the best numbered game out of all of them, but we got short-change by the designed of the game and the content in a big way. Thame on PD to released a game in 2022, and waiting for content like cars & tracks from previous numbered games is a real big blunder from them.

GaaS, almost definitely. With Game Pass, Microsoft has plenty of reason to push their developers into this. However, after entirely abandoning MTX years ago, I think the odds are pretty low of MTX being a problem.
Also, the Forza games since FM7 have stuck pretty closely to "traditional" DLC - car packs and expansions. And they've got to that point by dialing it back from more aggressive monetisation schemes, so there's no reason to think that the trajectory is towards worse monetisation. It might be, but it would be a big surprise for everyone.

It does for me.
Really?

So, in your opinion, if GTSport had a GT Auto and a used car lot, that was all it would have taken for it to be GT7?

Never mind that GT Auto is just a menu feature, because liveries and tuning was in GTSport. And, the "used cars" are just cheaper new cars that are not always available.

Well, ok, easy to please I suppose

I'm still pleased with my decision to refund the game soon after launch. I check in here occasionally to see the same complaints, same disappointment, same bemusement that PD are entirely ignorant of their consumer base.

Yes GT7 is far and away the worst of the series. I am so glad I broke even with it.

I'm still pleased with my decision to refund the game soon after launch. I check in here occasionally to see the same complaints, same disappointment, same bemusement that PD are entirely ignorant of their consumer base.

Yes GT7 is far and away the worst of the series. I am so glad I broke even with it.
I did something I would have never imagined: I uninstalled GT7 within 3 months of play. I made space on my ps4 for Battlefront 2.
And yes the other 2 titles are pretty bad, but still fun (something GT7 doesn't provide).

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_200630~2.jpg
    IMG_20220612_200630~2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 16
Back