Is GT7 fast becoming the worst of the GT Series?

• Thread starter Tuono_GT
  • 882 comments
I did something I would have never imagined: I uninstalled GT7 within 3 months of play. I made space on my ps4 for Battlefront 2.
And yes the other 2 titles are pretty bad, but still fun (something GT7 doesn't provide).
People should watch that video in your signature to remind themselves of how good GT5 was and why GT7 is so disappointing.

FWIW GTSport was really GT7 IMHO. I don't believe their official line that they meant to depart from the norm. I believe they planned for a normal numbered title, but the soft sales of GT6 forced them to cut back, so they stuck to their core focus. Maybe the initial popularity will get them more people to implement more features.

🤞

People should watch that video in your signature to remind themselves of how good GT5 was and why GT7 is so disappointing.

FWIW GTSport was really GT7 IMHO. I don't believe their official line that they meant to depart from the norm. I believe they planned for a normal numbered title, but the soft sales of GT6 forced them to cut back, so they stuck to their core focus. Maybe the initial popularity will get them more people to implement more features.

🤞
12 years ago, my God. Yeah I can't believe I was so fond of GT when I made it. But the magic is gone and certainly not because of the fanbase.
PD didn't deliver, it's really that simple.

My view on GT Sport was, is, and always will be as follows: it was GT7 Prologue. A limited game.
But as a limited game, it had something going on and it was teasing us what we could expect from the real, "full" GT7.
300+ cars at the end of its life cycle? People were expecting something between 500 and 700, if not more, for GT7. GT5 and GT6 had over 1000 cars, so it wasn't unrealistic to believe that GT7 would surpass that.
Same for the tracks.
Multiplayer... GT Sport has 3 different daily races, well that's a start. It is normal that people expect a lot more daily races from GT7.
Those extra daily races never came.
And the user created lobbies? Awful. I don't see any difference between these and those we had 12 years ago. Completely useless.
Penalty system is still a mess. AI is a mess. B-Spec isn't there. Economy system is outrageous. And so on.
I mean...what did PD expect from us other than bashing this underwhelming title? Is this really the best Sony can do?

Last edited:
CBH
New cars & tracks to make it interesting yes, but waiting for cars & tracks from previous numbered games to come in is a huge let down, on what supposed to be a numbered game. PD latest numbered one is a mockery because of adding things from previous numbered games, and also the designed of this latest game.

You say It can still be the best and keep getting better, for what content from previous numbered games to come in and make it better. These thing should be already in the game and not DRIP FED from previous games, it is totally ridiculous on what PD is doing to this latest game, that once was a good numbered game up to now.

In theory GT7 should have been the best numbered game out of all of them, but we got short-change by the designed of the game and the content in a big way. Thame on PD to released a game in 2022, and waiting for content like cars & tracks from previous numbered games is a real big blunder from them.
The cars and tracks from old games were so low resolution and poorly modeled in comparison to GT7 they can't even be called the same cars or tracks. The difference is a gulf as wide as the ocean. GT7 is tremendous and it will just keep getting better. The old games get worse every year as their limitations become more obvious.

Last edited:
12 years ago, my God. Yeah I can't believe I was so fond of GT when I made it. But the magic is gone and certainly not because of the fanbase.
PD didn't deliver, it's really that simple.

My view on GT Sport was, is, and always will be as follows: it was GT7 Prologue. A limited game.
But as a limited game, it had something going on and it was teasing us what we could expect from the real, "full" GT7.
300+ cars at the end of its life cycle? People were expecting something between 500 and 700, if not more, for GT7. GT5 and GT6 had over 1000 cars, so it wasn't unrealistic to believe that GT7 would surpass that.
Same for the tracks.
Multiplayer... GT Sport has 3 different daily races, well that's a start. It is normal that people expect a lot more daily races from GT7.
Those extra daily races never came.
And the user created lobbies? Awful. I don't see any difference between these and those we had 12 years ago. Completely useless.
Penalty system is still a mess. AI is a mess. B-Spec isn't there. Economy system is outrageous. And so on.
I mean...what did PD expect from us other than bashing this underwhelming title? Is this really the best Sony can do?
Not much else to say, PD can't hide anymore, they've been exposed many times now

And the user created lobbies? Awful. I don't see any difference between these and those we had 12 years ago.
GT5 was objectively the pinacle of the series when it came to open multiplayer lobbies. A bit worse in GT6, dramatically worse in GTS and now it's just a tragedy with GT7 being the low point of any online capable (full) GT game.
Maybe you have some general struggle to acquire a taste for player created lobbies, which is fine, but GT5 offered a lot of great tools, many of which are completely absent in the (as advertised) "most complete" GT aka GT7.

Last edited:
The cars and tracks from old games were so low resolution and poorly modeled in comparison to GT7 they can't even be called the same cars or tracks. The difference is a gulf as wide as the ocean. GT7 is tremendous and it will just keep getting better. The old games get worse every year as their limitations become more obvious.
Graphically speaking, GT7 is beautiful.

The GAME is rubbish though.

GT7 is on track to becoming a complete game in 2025... only then will it be worth spending full price on it... which ironically, is when its likely to have a rrp of less than half its current value

The cars and tracks from old games were so low resolution and poorly modeled in comparison to GT7 they can't even ve called the same cars or tracks. The difference is a gulf as wide as the ocean. GT7 is tremendous and it will just keep getting better. The old games get worse every year as their limitations become more obvious.
You say GT7 is tremendous and it will just keep getting better, but it should have been better at the start of the game with cars & tracks from previous numbered games. I never said cars & tracks from old games should be in the game all I said cars & tracks from previous numbered games, means upscale cars & tracks.

Again how can people say GT7 it will just get keep getting better, it is not better it's the worst for supposed to be a numbered game. A numbered game from the series, should not get better with cars & tracks from previous games over time. A numbered game should have nearly all the content from previous numbered games, like cars & tracks to enjoy the game.

Fancy having a Gran Turismo racing numbered game with a menu book that force you to buy cars, this is how low PD can be really get in designing a numbered game, which is the worst designed game ever.

GT7 is on track to becoming a complete game in 2025... only then will it be worth spending full price on it... which ironically, is when its likely to have a rrp of less than half its current value

I’d be interested to know what people consider value for money these days. Most AAA games on the market can be completed in 25-30hrs. You’d be hard pressed to complete GT7’s single-player content in 40hr’s. With all other activities I struggle to think of many GT fans who will put in less than 60hrs. That’s not factoring in (potentially) years of DLC.

CBH
You say GT7 is tremendous and it will just keep getting better, but it should have been better at the start of the game with cars & tracks from previous numbered games. I never said cars & tracks from old games should be in the game all I said cars & tracks from previous numbered games, means upscale cars & tracks.

Again how can people say GT7 it will just get keep getting better, it is not better it's the worst for supposed to be a numbered game. A numbered game from the series, should not get better with cars & tracks from previous games over time. A numbered game should have nearly all the content from previous numbered games, like cars & tracks to enjoy the game.

Fancy having a Gran Turismo racing numbered game with a menu book that force you to buy cars, this is how low PD can be really get in designing a numbered game, which is the worst designed game ever.
I can list here a dozen Le Mans prototype cars from GT5. All will use the same generic engine sample and a basic physics engine that only altered weight & downforce levels. In effect they where the same cars reskinned with a different 3D model.

That’s not for me in 2022. I want cars that are exact replicas of the real thing. That’s what makes such models worthwhile to collect in a title like GT7.

Last edited:
I can list here a dozen Le Mans prototype cars from GT5. All will use the same generic engine sample and a basic physics engine that only altered weight & downforce levels. In effect they where the same cars reskinned with a different 3D model.

That’s not for me in 2022. I want cars that are exact replicas of the real thing. That’s what makes such models worthwhile to collect in a title like GT7.
GT7 starts where GTS left off. In GTS, every LMP1H car has its hybrid system faithfully recreated. It's a completely different experience to drive the Porsche, the Audi and the Toyota.

Im not sold on this game graphically, I play it on an oled 48cx.

Its PD, by the time it IS 2025, we will have cars from 2020.

Last edited:

Maybe if you're looking at online which I haven't done lately. As far as the single player the physics, controller accuracy and feedback, sound, menu speed, track quality, car quality and overall level of polish is the best in any GT ever for me.

Maybe if you're looking at online which I haven't done lately. As far as the single player the physics, controller accuracy and feedback, sound, menu speed, track quality, car quality and overall level of polish is the best in any GT ever for me.
I know you’ve had this explained to you a thousand times already but I’ll give it another go.

Hardly anyone is disputing those things you say. All those things you list, we’d mostly all agree they’re better, it’d be weird if they weren’t. The technology has moved on from previous games. Yes, the ‘polish’ is top-notch. A PS5 game will look more polished than a PS2 game, that’s not rocket science.
However, the GAME, the content, the things to actually do and how much there is to do, that’s what’s substandard compared to previous games. Please try to ‘get’ this, in most cases it’s simply a matter of counting. but yes, the ‘polish’ is good, superb, it all looks great.

To me, GT7 is like a Tarantino movie, or like French cuisine, whatever the analogy it’s a triumph of style over substance.

Last edited:
The game looks great , I love the buying / tuning aspect , but Im bored of it. Im bord of grinding the same race to get credits. im bored of faffing on with custom races selecting cars from my garage for a road car ive bought / tuned because there is no BOP for road cars.

The game is stale. The only saving grace for me is that i play in a league with friends we do every year on a racing game. This year its GT7 , other than that I may well have traded this game in. The single player content is shallow at best

I know you’ve had this explained to you a thousand times already but I’ll give it another go.

Hardly anyone is disputing those things you say. All those things you list, we’d mostly all agree they’re better, it’d be weird if they weren’t. The technology has moved on from previous games. Yes, the ‘polish’ is top-notch. A PS5 game will look more polished than a PS2 game, that’s not rocket science.
However, the GAME, the content, the things to actually do and how much there is to do, that’s what’s substandard compared to previous games. Please try to ‘get’ this, in most cases it’s simply a matter of counting. but yes, the ‘polish’ is good, superb, it all looks great.

To me, GT7 is like a Tarantino movie, or like French cuisine, whatever the analogy it’s a triumph of style over substance.
You can literally make any custom race you want. Try that. My wife died in January after 15 years of being best friends. Coming back to GT has been a nice bit of stability and a comforting routine for me. Sorry if you're not enjoying it as much as me but there is literally an unlimited amount of content if you make your own.

Dunno. There were a couple of rough ones in the PS3 era, but that was also a rough console.

I´d say GT7 is the most infuriating one yet ;)

That said - all it takes for GT7 to become the best GT ever is a super robust VR mode for PSVR2.

EDIT: Sorry for your loss @Magog

Last edited:
literally an unlimited amount of content if you make your own.
It's quite literally a finite amount of content you can make, the number of combinations may be stupidly high, but it's most certainly finite.

That aside, while custom events are great, they do not excuse a developer from being light in terms of curated content, nor do they excuse the lack of ability to save custom events (reducing the usability of such a tool), nor the utterly nerfed pay-outs from them.

I applaud PD for including it, but it doesn't excuse them for failing in terms of curate single player or the poor design and implementation of the custom events.

Last edited:
The single player is atrocious.

Yes, as your follow up post mentioned, the custom events are a great addition, but they aren't very helpful at progressing in the game and affording the cars you want to race in those custom events.

You are forced to either grind the inadequate single player experience or buy MTX's to get to the cars you want to drive, a number of which cost a lot of in game credits.

There's nothing wrong with having to progress in a game and work your way up to buying new and better and more desireable cars, but you have to make that journey enjoyable and sadly GT7 does not do that. For me at least.

Last edited:
You can literally make any custom race you want. Try that. My wife died in January after 15 years of being best friends.
Can we just acknowledge the absolute tonal whiplash these two sentences have?

Sorry if you're not enjoying it as much as me but there is literally an unlimited amount of content if you make your own.
If we're playing a game ostensibly built around single player (which, we are, Polyphony made that crystal clear during the initial lead up to GT7's release) then frankly, it should not be up to the player solely to create custom events in order to extend the game's shelf life because they didn't bother adding in more events that could have extended the end game out much longer then it has been at this very moment. That they didn't is a failure on PD's part, and no amount of your bleating that the custom events are 'an unlimited source of content' can take away from that.

The single player is atrocious.

Yes, as your follow up post mentioned, the custom events are a great addition, but they aren't very helpful at progressing in the game and affording the cars you want to race in those custom events.

You are forced to either grind the inadequate single player experience or buy MTX's to get to the cars you want to drive, a number of which cost a lot of in game credits.

There's nothing wrong with having to progress in a game and work your way up to buying new and better and more desireable cars, but you have to make that journey enjoyable and sadly GT7 does not do that. For me at least.
The grind could be massively improved. All races should pay out as well per minute as the 800pp one at Sardegna.

I've played the gt franchise my whole life. Still have my PS2 for gt4. Every gt has been worst then the last. Kaz is lucky he has a boss more dumb then him, nobody should be in charge of anything for 20 years. I prob would have bought gt7 if trial mountain and deep forest were identical to what they have always been. They look like crap now. Gt also has no real tracks, to cheap to pay for the rights even though gt franchise was prob most profitable. They should re open the servers for all gt games from 5, see what gets played most. Call of duty has 10 year old games still going strong online!! People involved in gt are terrible at their job and greedy imo

GT5 was objectively the pinacle of the series when it came to open multiplayer lobbies. A bit worse in GT6, dramatically worse in GTS and now it's just a tragedy with GT7 being the low point of any online capable (full) GT game.
Maybe you have some general struggle to acquire a taste for player created lobbies, which is fine, but GT5 offered a lot of great tools, many of which are completely absent in the (as advertised) "most complete" GT aka GT7.
Shuffle races were great!!

Last edited:
After running the script for a few weeks so I don't have to have the "am I using my time efficiently?" voice in my head, I am having a bit of fun with custom races, but that's just underscoring the missing potential to me even more. FWIW I think it is a genuinely cool feature, but if PD wants to make it a mainline feature (which it could be), then it needs to be both more streamlined and way more powerful in terms of tweaks.

Let me set specific cars with specific tunes as the AI roster, without having to have those in my garage. Let me tell the AI to pick the opposition's cars, but with requirements (e.g: 1990s Japanese FR). Most importantly, let me save custom race presets so I don't have to go through the tedium of remaking it all over again, and let me share my custom races with others and vice versa, like we can with liveries, because you just know there's some people in the community both willing and able to make some great experiences others could benefit from. This seems like a pretty easy way to overcome the content gulf for singleplayer overnight, and something other racers do.

Easily the worst when you factor in potential. Playing through it again on an alt account and there's nothing to look forward to for an offline player. It's all crap. Sport Mode is crap too as is lobby racing. It needed to be a game filled with all the things they removed through the decades, not an empty shell. The metacritic user rating score is close to accurate, any other score much over that from websites and streamers is wrong and at least duplicitous.

Bought everything in ucd, now no point checking till they announce there will be a few added. nearly at that state in legends , not buying 20 mill cars i have no interest in, and just doing money making races gets boring real quick. Total disaster for what is 25th anniversary.

Last edited:
Total disaster for what is 25th anniversary.
You know, this is something I keep coming back to.

Gt6, the 15th anniversary, gave us a bunch of 15th anniversary cars. Even if they could be reproduced in the editor, they would be a cool addition from the team.

As @Scaff said,a lack of curated content at launch, and I would add for multiplayer and single player.

You can literally make any custom race you want. Try that. My wife died in January after 15 years of being best friends. Coming back to GT has been a nice bit of stability and a comforting routine for me. Sorry if you're not enjoying it as much as me but there is literally an unlimited amount of content if you make your own.
First, very sorry for your loss, I doubt it matters much to you to hear it from people on the internet you’ve never met irl, but anyway, very glad the game is helping you pull through. We’re all just giving opinions on a game after all and your post helps put things into perspective.

Regarding your suggestion to create custom races to expand content, I might do that after I’ve finished a full and satisfactory single-player campaign, I’m not gonna touch it until then. After all the pre-launch hype (most complete most comprehensive blah blah) they owe us more.

First, very sorry for your loss, I doubt it matters much to you to hear it from people on the internet you’ve never met irl, but anyway, very glad the game is helping you pull through. We’re all just giving opinions on a game after all and your post helps put things into perspective.

Regarding your suggestion to create custom races to expand content, I might do that after I’ve finished a full and satisfactory single-player campaign, I’m not gonna touch it until then. After all the pre-launch hype (most complete most comprehensive blah blah) they owe us more.
Actually I do appreciate it, thanks. In 6-12 months I expect 60ish menu books and a lot of additional championships/races.

Last edited:
Shuffle Racing. That is all I'm going to say on this matter.

PD are... weird for getting rid of that. We have 400+ cars, that's plenty enough for that feature.

How does any developer come away after testing custom races for months not think about, it would be a great idea to add a save feature to the settings,
so I don't have to constantly go back and re-select all the custom settings and go back and pick all the garage cars again and again.

Last edited:
I don't get your response.

I agree with regarding the "physics, controller accuracy and feedback, sound, menu speed, track quality, car quality and overall level of polish" but mentioned the GAME is rubbish with no mention of online.

What you seem to be failing to grasp is that GT is a GAME. It's so more than just looking, feeling and sounding good.
The numbered GT games are all about the career (going on your own path to earn cars and race them in appropriate series) and GT7 has failed miserably here. Its extremely short and linear with a horrid economy built around pushing people to MTX. It's missing hundreds of hours worth of content compared to previous GT games and doesnt make use of earning of licences and GT7 was clearly released incomplete.

GT7 was advertised as a "return to form" etc etc and it clearly doesn't live up its predecessors in terms of the career mode and currently is fails even more so in its online mode.

Proof of this is how the GT series existed before all of your above points were possible in GT7. The GT series has built up a huge following and is loved by many. For a majority of the user base - its not because of the sound and graphics. The GAME was fun to play, the career mode made sense and was varied, awesome cars were obtainable without spending months of gameplay to get them all, or without spending thousands on them to avoid the grind.

If you enjoy the game then that's awesome. I'm genuinely happy that a few people can find joy in this game but I cannot understand how people can justify it to be the best GT game to date

You also seem adamant to defend the series on future content. I agree, its great the more free content is coming out regularly. The problem here is that the full priced game was not released with enough content. Custom races are great but PD dumbed down the payouts to stop people using rubber bands on ovals that would mitigate their MTX earnings... these races do not help you gain the cars that people paid full price to drive.

My point is and always has been... this game could be the best GT ever and its only one decent update from PD to make it such.
But PD do not want to do this. They want to drip feed content over the coming years and I'm sure it will only feel complete and become the greatest GT in several years time... and this is unacceptable when they have charged us full price now and expect users to keep them afloat with serveral moer MTX purchases over this time

Last edited:
Back