La Sarthe and Spa ,weather report and other " stuff "

Had only time for a single race today. And since I enjoyed the Rally car a lot yesterday I chose Walter Röhrls legendary Audi today, in completly stock condition.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20231206190715.png

Gran Turismo™ 7_20231206190724.png

Started on FM4 which is good for almost exactly 3 laps. Rain started at the end of lap 3 but I didn't want to pit cause I knew I wouldn't be able to do a five lap stint. So I drove the 3rd lap on RH in light rain. No problem. Rain stopped at the end of lap 3, I refueled and renewed my tires and did the remaining 4 laps on FM6 with a little bit of fuel management.

The car is indeed very enjoyable. Rather low top speed (~260) but acceleration feels amazing, even on FM6. This car never heard about turbo lag. You hit the throttle and the car pulls and revs like crazy. And the "vroom vroom, vroom" sound somehow is extremely satisfying🙂

The car isn't the most easy to drive. Have to admit I had my mind somewhere else today and couldn't really concentrate, so I crashed a few times. The car doesn't like heavy braking when going into a corner and is not so easy to recover when it gets out of control.
So while this car is not among the most rational choices for this race, it's very fun and satisfying to drive. And hey, it's Walter Röhrls car!😎

Gran Turismo™ 7_20231206190551.png

Last edited:
Since I found out recently that you always get CRB unless you ignore yellow flags, I finally started to do this race for grinding.

My observations & findings so far:

I don't wanna do more than one pitstop, so many cars I like can't be used here. For example, the Testarossa (with Praianos tune) eats tires like crazy, the Porsche GT3 RS can't do 3 laps even on FM6, and so on.

So I quickly figured out that I have to use lightweight cars, which are easy on tires and fuel.

I started with the Honda 2&4 and it's amazing for this race! Tyre wear is no issue at all, RS easily last the whole race.
Fuel economy is good and the power is ok even on FM6!
(I also tested the KTM X-Bow and the Radical. Both are easy on tires also and have good fuel economy but I had to limit output to 90% on both cars and even remove the racing exhaust and manifold on the X-Bow to get below 700pp. As a result they both feel rather dull at FM6)

Back to the Honda: As I said, fuel economy is very good. You can easily do 3 laps at FM1 without short shifting or coasting. Maybe even the whole race on FM6, but I'm not sure about this since I haven't tested this yet. 6 laps shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure about 7.

So I was quite happy with the 2&4 but I soon found the one huge downside this vehicle has. On multiple occasions the weather looked ok at the end of the second lap (weather radar clear), still it started raining heavily early in lap 3. Depending on how early and heavily it started raining I made it past the first or second chicane on the straight but after that it was game over. The car is just too light and there's a point where you just can't drive more then 5 meters without spinning, while the AI with the more heavy cars can still drive (slowly) on racing tires. If this happens, there's no way to win and all you can do is quit the race.

To prevent this I usually do the first laps on RS and FM1 but as soon as there's the slightest hint of possible rain (usually at the end of lap 2 or 3) I pit, change to wets and, no matter if it really rains or not, I finish the race on wets and FM2 to FM4.

Yesterday I bought the Red Bull Junior and this one is also a good option for this race although it's considerably less powerful (and therefore more boring) than the Honda. But fuel economy is even better and I could do a whole race on Intermediates without a pit stop.

Are there any other cars that can do the race with just one pitstop even if you use wets or intermediates and rain doesn't come? I remember when I tried the Testarossa it looked like rain so I switched to wets. Well, rain didn't come and the car completely destroyed the tires within one(!) lap, lol.

And BTW, what's up with the penalties on this track? Sometimes I get one for going over the track limits slightly but then I sometimes miss my brake point and go right across the chicane and don't get any penalty whatsoever....
The Honda is a really good car for this race 1 of my favorites and its able to do 8 laps easy.

The red bull is just boring but its also able to do 8 laps.

@smoothbore12 : I'm a bit confused. You do 300+ while I barely reach 250. You said you're on stock gearbox, I was on stock gearbox also. Does the turbo make that much difference without effecting PP? Do I overlook something here?

Will test your settings over the weekend and see how it goes.
The turbo always affect pp , the same does and the aero settings.
You have only 338 hp while mine is at 490hp plus you're heavier.
All that is because your aero settings are higher and doesn't allow to have more hp at same pp.

One basic rule to gain pp in cars that has aero both ends is to put higher in the rear and gain pp cause produce lower top speed and lower in the front which again gains pp due to smaller speed on curves and front grip efficiency.
Its a compromise that you have to do all the time and find a golden spot.
Better aerodynamics settings, always mean lower hp in power and vice versa.
Every race with pp limitation especially in race cars requires that short of compromise between aerodynamics and power .
Thats why the difference.
Try my settings and you will realise that the difference is night and day .
The only part you could be faster with your set up is the last part ( after Porsche bridge) that higher aero in front allows you to go flat out .

The problems are two.
First thai rain aren't always the same type and second depends where wil catch you .
In the pic i post lately heavy rain caught me out during 3rd lap and slow me down ( can see the time over 5 minutes) but if i was keep going and not stop perhaps i could do 8 laps but i don't remember what times can bring in intermediate tyres on dry or close to dry conditions.
Tyres doesn't bother so much even if they get all red .
One way that is certainly doable if you start on intermediates and change them on 4th lap.
The trick is to do only one stop ( i guess ).

The problems are two.
First thai rain aren't always the same type and second depends where wil catch you .
In the pic i post lately heavy rain caught me out during 3rd lap and slow me down ( can see the time over 5 minutes) but if i was keep going and not stop perhaps i could do 8 laps but i don't remember what times can bring in intermediate tyres on dry or close to dry conditions.
Tyres doesn't bother so much even if they get all red .
One way that is certainly doable if you start on intermediates and change them on 4th lap.
The trick is to do only one stop ( i guess ).
Agree but its worth a try.👍

Also the 962C maybe dethrone by the 787B I just ran a 3.55 with a opt time of 3.53 and I'm hitting 195+ mph.
Gran Turismo® 7_20231207000639.jpg

Now to wait for a dry race.

Last edited:
Agree but its worth a try.👍

Also the 962C maybe dethrone by the 787B I just ran a 3.55 with a opt time of 3.53 and I'm hitting 195+ mph.
View attachment 1309536
Now to wait for a dry race.
92CP and 787 are prity close in lap times ,my fastest was on 92CP at 3.49 ( once ) .
Nissan and Mazda are definitely faster than 962 ,they have more hp and less added weight.
787 is the most fuel efficient of all.

Last edited:
92CP and 787 are prity close in lap times ,my fastest was on 92CP at 3.49 ( once ) .
Nissan and Mazda are definitely faster than 962 ,they have more hp and less added weight.
787 is the most fuel efficient of all.
Yup I think we have proof the point that the group c cars are no dogs in this 700pp le man race there the best in this race. 👍

Yup I think we have proof the point that the group c cars are no dogs in this 700pp le man race there the best in this race. 👍
In fact they are dogs, bad ass ones 😂
They are reasonable fast and have great fuel consumption and tyre wear .
Also they are easy on driving, what else you can ask for ?

Yesterday i did Spa one hour with the exact settings in my 962 changing only aero settings.
Was about 743 pp with RH on.
I didn't even write a faster lap , my laps was above 2.20 on dry but his fuel consumption and tyre wear gave me the victory 1 lap Infront the second.
Was at hard level .

The turbo always affect pp , the same does and the aero settings.
You have only 338 hp while mine is at 490hp plus you're heavier.
All that is because your aero settings are higher and doesn't allow to have more hp at same pp.

One basic rule to gain pp in cars that has aero both ends is to put higher in the rear and gain pp cause produce lower top speed and lower in the front which again gains pp due to smaller speed on curves and front grip efficiency.
Its a compromise that you have to do all the time and find a golden spot.
Better aerodynamics settings, always mean lower hp in power and vice versa.
Every race with pp limitation especially in race cars requires that short of compromise between aerodynamics and power .
Thats why the difference.
Try my settings and you will realise that the difference is night and day .
The only part you could be faster with your set up is the last part ( after Porsche bridge) that higher aero in front allows you to go flat out .
Lol, thx man, didn't think about aero at all. I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm not that much into race cars😄 Maybe that's also the reason I just can't get good times in F1 23🤔 I always use the default setup there.

Lol, thx man, didn't think about aero at all. I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm not that much into race cars😄 Maybe that's also the reason I just can't get good times in F1 23🤔 I always use the default setup there.
Tuning isn't for everyone, hopefully at the tuning section you can find people who share their tunes and the most well known @praiano63 who became a " Legend " and a valuable element for the majority of the GT series

Of course you can make your settings with his " guide" and bring cars to what you prefer the most or what suits you.
Am waiting for your impressions when you rerun the 962 .

Yup its possible to do 8 laps with the 962C even in a race with heavy rain.

Heavy rain started in lap 4 and didn't end till lap 5.:lol:

I didn't cross the finish line since I didn't wanna do 8 laps but its possible as you can tell. Sick car.
Gran Turismo® 7_20231207152235.jpg

@smoothbore12 I almost got to lap 7 with light rain still falling if I had been a few seconds faster.:(:banghead:
Gran Turismo® 7_20231207214711.jpg

Also the R92CP can run 5 laps on FM1 and with 555HP which is more then the 787B at 524 so making it more fuel efficient then the 787B.
Also 8 laps at 32:35.:lol:
Gran Turismo® 7_20231207215518.jpg

I was very tired yesterday, just did the weekly races and nothing more .
In the last one needed an intermission not to fall asleep 😂
Damn i need holidays asap.

" Billionaire " for me 92CP is the best package for 700 and 800 pp .
And the most easy to drive is Bugatti VGT gr1 .

Ok, so today I tried @smoothbore12 's settings. Looks like I did something wrong 'cause I get "just" 483HP instead of 490?

1000010004.png

1000010005.png

But whatever, yeah, this indeed feels like a different car and is much more fun to drive!

Didn't have any good lap and lots of rain but still I was quick enough to overlap a lot of my competitors.

1000010007.png

After this I wanted to know if I am able to match the lap times of you guys, so I did a few rounds in time trial with "realistic" settings (no TCS, no ABS) but the best I managed (without abusing track limits) was 4:01.933.

1000010006.png

Of course I blame this on the lower HP and not my driving skills😄
But jokes aside, you guys are really fast!👍

Last edited:
Ok, so today I tried @smoothbore12 's settings. Looks like I did something wrong 'cause I get "just" 483HP instead of 490?

View attachment 1309825

View attachment 1309826

But whatever, yeah, this indeed feels like a different car and is much more fun to drive!

Didn't have any good lap and lots of rain but still I was quick enough to overlap a lot of my competitors.

View attachment 1309827

After this I wanted to know if I am able to match the lap times of you guys, so I did a few rounds in time trial with "realistic" settings (no TCS, no ABS) but the best I managed (without abusing track limits) was 4:01.933.

View attachment 1309828

That's not true mate at least for me , am not fast am " average " , other guys are fast but not me.
Who says that am not using ABS and TC ?
Of course and and i use them both , ABS is at what game has as standard ( never try to use other settings) and TC is at 1 or 2 depending on the car.
Its the other assistance that i don't use .

When i go home ill check what is wrong ( if it is ) on your settings.
Some times you need to go back and forth the aero digits chek pp and put it in the same value to take them " right ".

Glad you like it and you times are pretty good right now , just think :
I have made about 10k khm only in 962 at that track ( i have 2 cars that i use ) not to mention the other griding mules i used .
So is fair enough to be little faster than you considering how many times i run at this track .
Must be way over than 600 times till now and took me a long time to put down my lap times but now i know what to do or not to do and i have collected All the possible penalties that exist 😂

Don't worry you're in good way.

Edit

To add some spice in the boring procedure of griding and when i was on good mood, i was trying to get the best possible lap , that's mean Push it , penalties or not Push it , it's the only way.

Last edited:
Who says that am not using ABS and TC ?
Nobody. I use both in the race also but I do this race just for grinding, not for lap times. I don't even look at my lap times there.
But when I go for a good lap time I always try to keep it as real as possible. If the car has ABS IRL I use it, if the car doesn't, I turn it of. Same for TCS, which, if the real car has it, I usually set to 1.

And yeah, I'm sure you know the track much better than I do. It takes a lot of practice to really be fast on any track. I don't know how many laps on Nordschleife (my favorite track) I already did, but I'm still finding little details that improve my times there.
And ofc it's the car also. You have to get used to it 'cause every car is different.

Le Mans has some tricky corners where you can loose a lot of time if you don't hit them the right way 'cause your speed after the corner will suffer.
And that final chicane is a nightmare to drive clean.
How do you tackle this one? 1st gear? 2nd gear? Or down to 1st and shortshift?

Last edited:
Nobody. I use both in the race also but I do this race just for grinding, not for lap times. I don't even look at my lap times there.
But when I go for a good lap time I always try to keep it as real as possible. If the car has ABS IRL I use it, if the car doesn't, I turn it of. Same for TCS, which, if the real car has it, I usually set to 1.

And yeah, I'm sure you know the track much better than I do. It takes a lot of practice to really be fast on any track. I don't know how many laps on Nordschleife (my favorite track) I already did, but I'm still finding little details that improve my times there.
And ofc it's the car also. You have to get used to it 'cause every car is different.

Le Mans has some tricky corners where you can loose a lot of time if you don't hit them the right way 'cause your speed after the corner will suffer.
Depends on the car , usually am on AT gears and is 2nd gear most of the times.
I choose MT only in rain and definitely when rain caught me out on dry tyres.

Other than that and after did more than 200 races on that track ,my approach when i use my favourite " mules " is : Shoot to kill , when weather allows it.
I search for tunes , made changes etc. etc.
And after all is always a great feeling when you surpass your self .
Brings that " solo excitement " and it's nice believe me on this.

Grid with a " cause " , always made things more interesting whatever the cause might be 😏 .

I also don’t really go for fast lap times but if I have the fuel and tyres I go balls out on the last lap for laughs,I have got a sub 4 minute lap with a Classic but what it was eludes me at present.

View attachment 1309825

View attachment 1309826

View attachment 1309827

View attachment 1309828

Ill check it on the new one that bought yesterday to solve the mystery cause everything ( except lcd that doesn't affect pp ) are the same.
Isn't logical to happen that.
Ill be back later.

Edit
I use my brand new 962 , use the same settings and have the same result.

What is weird is everything seems right but you have lower hp and if you look carefully at the 3rd row where it says maximum torque your value is higher than mine !!!!
I really don't know why that's happening .
Its a different region than mine or what ?
Don't know if someone else face the same problem but it would be interesting if someone could check it in his 962.

Last edited:
Edit
I use my brand new 962 , use the same settings and have the same result.

What is weird is everything seems right but you have lower hp and if you look carefully at the 3rd row where it says maximum torque your value is higher than mine !!!!
I really don't know why that's happening .
Its a different region than mine or what ?
Don't know if someone else face the same problem but it would be interesting if someone could check it in his 962
That's indeed strange. I also can't see any difference in settings.

You can knock off a few PP points if you were to equip the 956 with a Manual custom transmission, the Normal (or stock) will have a higher PP count

That's indeed strange. I also can't see any difference in settings.
That's true , the only differences are at the first board at hp and maximum torque, i have more hp and you have more torque.
I really don't know why this happens.
Just a thought, the livery you have , have wider size tyres than stock ?
I don't even know if you can put wide size , i have 2 on different liveries but all of them shows the same results with the brand new one .

Try to change settings, calculate pp and put them back in their value , it might work ( like the old pc restart 😂 )

Without medium turbo, same settings i hit 503 hp maximum but i don't know if its faster .

Today I drove the engine swapped Nissan Skyline GT-R V・spec II Nür (R34). Even capped at 88% the engine feels extremely powerful! I had the transmission set for 300 and 6th gear revs up so quick that I always wanted to shift to 7th😄
Great fuel economy (4 laps on FM1), easy to drive, great car!

Next I tried the engine swapped Mazda Roadster S and this was the worst experience I had so far!
Car is extremely twitchy and you have to be very careful with the throttle. Fuel economy is rather bad, barely 3 laps on FM6.
At the end of the third lap it started raining. I changed to inters. After just 1(!) lap the left rear tire was almost dead. At the end of round 5 all 4 tires were dead and I slid of track in every corner so I had to pit again. And there I f'd up. The rain had stopped and I thought I could do the remaining two laps on RM 'cause I was afraid that the inters wouldn't last two laps when it dries up. But unfortunately it was still too wet for racing tires and I spun out every 5 meters. Had to quit 'cause there was no way to win this.
First and last time I drove this car in this race.

You can knock off a few PP points if you were to equip the 956 with a Manual custom transmission, the Normal (or stock) will have a higher PP count
Thx, but that's not the problem. 483 or 490 doesn't really matter here.
We are just trying to find out why we get different values while using the exact same settings.

sorry for interrupting....
There's nothing to feel sorry about it , you just don't understand what we was " searching " about.

Can you do us a favour ?

If you have the 962 and when you have time , put this values and tell as if they match .
IMG_20231206_065807467_HDR.jpg

You don't have to spoil your suspension or lcd settings , just aero , weight and power settings.
The gearbox is stock and have the medium turbo.
While in 3 cars of mine everything is the same in @Sir Crashalot page he has more torque and less hp when everything is exactly the same everywhere else .

Edit i just look more carefully and in torque we have different measure units ,so I don't know if he really has more torque since measure is different.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back