Make all cars available from the start?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 894 comments

Make all cars available from the start?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
How about this: In arcade mode and online mode, all cars in the game are available instantly, but you're "borrowing" them, so you can't change parts, but you can adjust the parts that are already included with the car as it would be if you buy it. Many high-end race cars come with a fully customizable transmission and suspension, so if you "borrow" this car in online or arcade mode, you will be able to change the settings of these parts.

Likewise, the cars might only come in one color when you borrow them for free, you won't be able to change rims, apply new paints, or do any custom livery (if that feature makes it into the game, lol). Ballast and power limiter will naturally be available on all of the cars, and if the car comes with aero parts that allow you to change the downforce, you will of course also be able to do this.

So there are still some limitations, but with (probably) a thousand cars that you can instantly use online, you're bound to find one that is suitable for a very large amount of races and challenges. If you want even more control over the car, get some money and buy it.

Keep in mind that I don't mean borrow in the sense that you would need to find another player to borrow them from. You're borrowing them from an imaginary entity within the game that just so happens to own every car in the game :P. Also, I don't think there should be any limit on how many times you should be able to borrow cars in this way.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of letting players borrow cars from other players as well. These cars would of course have all the parts and stuff that the owner of the car have bought for it, giving the borrower the same amount of options as the person who owns it would have.

Personally, I think this would be a pretty decent compromise. Online enthusiasts can get loads of cars to race right away after installing the game, and even if you're not all that into online play, this solution also lets you test out cars before dumping 20 million credits into a car that might be a wildcard. At the same time, it retains the value of owning the car because that gives you the ultimate level of control over them.
That's like saying to a kid, here's a bag of halloween candy but you can only sniff it. Without being able to swap parts, you cannot compete in online racing other than in spec racing. In street cars you'll be 2-4+ seconds per lap off the pace without the proper parts. In race cars it'll be closer but much of online racing in race cars is PP based and it's a huge advantage to add certain parts and detune the car. This isn't really something that would appeal to most of the players that use online in GT5/6, since most of it is tune oriented.

You do realize that many of us see no value in car ownership right? It's just bit and bytes not a real car and I've owned all of them in the past and it meant nothing to me beyond what I could do with them on the track. Designing a game solely around the idea of "car ownership and value" doesn't appeal to everyone, as many as 40% of us apparently. Of course we don't want to deny that pleasure to you, you could still run your GT Classic Career and play the game as per usual. How exacly would your gameplay be affected if I chose to play it differently?

You do realize that many of us see no value in car ownership right? It's just bit and bytes not a real car and I've owned all of them in the past and it meant nothing to me beyond what I could do with them on the track. Designing a game solely around the idea of "car ownership and value" doesn't appeal to everyone, as many as 40% of us apparently. Of course we don't want to deny that pleasure to you, you could still run your GT Classic Career and play the game as per usual. How exacly would your gameplay be affected if I chose to play it differently?

That 40% falls into one of a few cateogories

#1 They dislike GT Life mode
#2 They're lazy
#3 They dont have time to play GT Life

The first is a problem with the game, which can be fixed with improved AI, events, etc. The last two are personal issues which should have no bearing on game design decisions.

#2 They're lazy

The first is a problem with the game, which can be fixed with improved AI, events, etc. The last two are personal issues which should have no bearing on game design decisions.
1. Nope. An offline career, no matter how good, hold little attraction for me and I suspect many others. Online is here to stay. And for many of us a bad online race is far preferable to a good offline rac2.

2. C'mon, be serious.

3. Possibly among other reasons. It's a "personal" reason but so is every other preference in every activity in the world. The game should cater to all people, not just those that have endless free time to grind away for fake money to buy fake cars.

Last edited:
For online and arcade modes, all cars should be available for use. Though in the case of online, there should be an option to restrict people to only the cars they own.

Which is to say that as far as single-player GT Mode goes, starting off with every single car in the game would be a major no-no. The appeal of GT mode has always been heavily reliant on two things:

1. The grind. Working your way up from a crappy little car to the big boys is quite satisfying, even if it's a bit tedious at times. It gives you the feeling you've been on a long journey, and when you're at the top you can look back and see how far you've come. Starting off being able to partake in any level of racing completely kills this.

2. The sense of car ownership. The fact that you have to wisely choose what cars you want to buy, since grinding enough to buy even half the cars in the game would take an eternity, makes each car you plonk down the credits for feel special. The cars in your garage feel like they're yours, moreso than in any other game, because you really had to put in the effort to earn the precious credits that you used to buy them. That, combined with the fact that having instant access to everything would essentially make the garage, GT Auto, etc. obsolete, would completely spoil what makes GT special.

''All cars available from start''....

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8200-1355940738-4.gif
:sly:

One at a time son...
683e6a71749c1a8d_Yeah.gif

For online and arcade modes, all cars should be available for use. Though in the case of online, there should be an option to restrict people to only the cars they own.

Which is to say that as far as single-player GT Mode goes, starting off with every single car in the game would be a major no-no. The appeal of GT mode has always been heavily reliant on two things:

1. The grind. Working your way up from a crappy little car to the big boys is quite satisfying, even if it's a bit tedious at times. It gives you the feeling you've been on a long journey, and when you're at the top you can look back and see how far you've come. Starting off being able to partake in any level of racing completely kills this.

2. The sense of car ownership. The fact that you have to wisely choose what cars you want to buy, since grinding enough to buy even half the cars in the game would take an eternity, makes each car you plonk down the credits for feel special. The cars in your garage feel like they're yours, moreso than in any other game, because you really had to put in the effort to earn the precious credits that you used to buy them. That, combined with the fact that having instant access to everything would essentially make the garage, GT Auto, etc. obsolete, would completely spoil what makes GT special.

I agree with what you say about all cars available for online and arcade but have them locked in offline mode. But please remember the grind was more bearable because we used to get gift cars with every race won, in fact in GT there were championships that would ramdomly give you a car from a pool of 4 or 5 I can't remember well. Also cars were cheaper and credits were easier to get. Hopefully they will get rid of microtransactions with gt7 because that's the only reason why we don't have as many gift cars nowadays.

On the other hand gt needs to completely change and improve offline racing, buying cars should be a secondary source of fun and racing should come first. I mean come on we have most of the greatest cars and some of the best tracks in the world yet racing feels like getting a root canal.

Last edited:

#2 They're lazy

#1 How can you not dislike it? A bunch of races that are completely pointless, because the AI is too slow and if it's overpowered they wait for you, so you can win in practically any car. I used to like GT Life. Then I started playing online.

#2 Uh, yeah. Because playing online is not really driving …?

#3 Maybe it's not about having the time (although it might be), maybe it's because <see #1>. I'd rather do what I actually want to do, which is driving the cars that are in the game, but unfortunately, I'm not allowed to drive some of the most interesting cars unless I do the same races over and over again for 5 hours to afford one of them in the game. It's a year since GT6 came out and I can't even take part in some online racing series, because I can't afford the cars. The only ones that do take part in those series are the ones that used the money glitch early on. Any questions about the flawed system here?

It appears to me that this question is like religion for some. If you don't believe in the same thing, you have to be converted. Coexistence is not an option for them. Personally, I don't have any intention to busy myself with a car version of tamagotchi though.

I fine for cars being available to players from the start, just as long as it's an option. There could be different career mode styles incorporated into GT this way, including the classic style that I still love so much. Oh yeah, one more thing; PD must not make me buy a certain car first ever again! That idea was silly.

Ok why is there still this belief that GT7 offline will be crap? Who is to say this has already happened? Conclusions shouldn't be based on whatbwe haven't seen yet.

GT really showed the charm of working for your money and enjoying the fruits of your labours, now why should that be taken away? I don't mind the ideas of borrowing and courtesy cars for Online and Arcade but leave GT Life as it is with purchasing cars and what not. I don't understand how progressing through a game is 'abusive' really. Isn't that why you play games?

Maybe reduced prices for some cars and better credits payouts can also work too. Used car dealership feature will be officially killed off if this happens .

What will we use credits for?

What happened to the proposed Test Drive feature?

And this whole maths of '40% of players' would like this and '60% of players' wouldn't like it. Again, 40 is less than 60 and % is out of 100. There's the sum, no other numbers. The poll speaks for itself.

Alright I'm tired, good night

Last edited:
Players are lazy if they want all cars available at the start of a game. If you want a lot of cars in your garage you have to earn them and do some grinding for credits to buy that car you want, and if you want to free cars go and play in the arcade mode.

I personally wouldn't take advantage of it, I'm however all for it as an option. It wouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment of the game, well, unless they're worried about how other people play the game.

GT really showed the charm of working for your money and enjoying the fruits of your labours, now why should that be taken away?
If it's offered as an option and you simply decide to decline it, the ''fruits of your labour'' will remain unaffected.
Upgrades and customization? Just an idea.

Ok why is there still this belief that GT7 offline will be crap? Who is to say this has already happened? Conclusions shouldn't be based on whatbwe haven't seen yet.

GT really showed the charm of working for your money and enjoying the fruits of your labours, now why should that be taken away? I don't mind the ideas of borrowing and courtesy cars for Online and Arcade but leave GT Life as it is with purchasing cars and what not. I don't understand how progressing through a game is 'abusive' really. Isn't that why you play games?

Maybe reduced prices for some cars and better credits payouts can also work too. Used car dealership feature will be officially killed off if this happens .

What happened to the proposed Test Drive feature?

And this whole maths of '40% of players' would like this and '60% of players' wouldn't like it. Again, 40 is less than 60 and % is out of 100. There's the sum, no other numbers. The poll speaks for itself.

Alright I'm tired, good night

You should actually read some of the replies before you post. No one is advocating that you or anyone else lose the career mode. I hope the career mode is the greatest in the history of gaming, it just doesn't appeal to some of us and we'd like another path through the game.

The 6 million/4 million split I already explained to you here.

Players are lazy if they want all cars available at the start of a game. If you want a lot of cars in your garage you have to earn them and do some grinding for credits to buy that car you want, and if you want to free cars go and play in the arcade mode.
Yup that's it, I'm lazy. I sit on my duff all day, trying to find ways to get free cars in Gran Turismo. You win the internetz for today buddy:dunce::dunce::dunce:

/s

Yup that's it, I'm lazy. I sit on my duff all day, trying to find ways to get free cars in Gran Turismo. You win the internetz for today buddy:dunce::dunce::dunce:

/s
I can't wait until he starts deciding for everyone what is fun again.

Players are lazy if they want all cars available at the start of a game.
I have the time to play quick pick-up games. If I have to boot up the PS3 and TV, I can maybe get two or three hours a week on the weekends if I really want it, when I'm not out driving, shooting, writing, or watching the baby. (time on GTPlanet is spent there while in the middle of writing... distracting yourself helps you around writer's block)

The way things were in GT3, with an extensive Arcade mode that allowed you to play quick races and to unlock content in Arcade mode... that was great.

Few people would object to being made to finish a race event to have access to a car.

The problem comes when your Arcade mode is extremely limited, as it is now... if you want to drive something interesting, instead of participating in a skill challenge to gain access to it, you have to waste those precious two or three hours a weekend you have to dedicate to racing to grinding.

grinding.is.not.fun.

-

Either way... the only time I've played GT6, after the disappointment with the grinding in GT5, was at work, for a time attack challenge. Reminded me how much I miss the game. I can accept not being able to achieve 100% completion. But not even being able to get a foot in the door due to the ridiculous cost structure (honestly, how many cars actually cost more than two to three million in real life? :lol:), that's just painful.

I'd have no issue with having a larger pool of cars available in arcade. But I don't agree with this idea of trying to please everyone. Who decides what options they make available? I also think it's important to remember that just because something is popular as a theory doesn't mean it will make for a better game.

What I said in that post is right thing for the game, so you just have to live with it. 👍

Have you ever bought a real car in real life? People don't usually buy without trying them out first. It would make sense to at least be able to test drive a car in some other game mode before committing for example to a 20 million cr. car, Would you not agree?

What I said in that post is right thing for the game, so you just have to live with it. 👍
I'll have to live with you telling me what I find fun? I'd think not.

Though it's been 5 months. Have you come up with a reason why you get to make that decision for me yet?

Wait, so if I work hard for my cars in a video game, does that mean I can excuse myself of my laziness in all my years in schooling?

Ya man, you're wasting your time with school, life and career. NO man can be given respect who hasn't grinded 10138937 hours to collect vehicles in GT.. :dunce:

I think all cars advertised should be open for enjoyment of use. I don't even want to know how many people (newcomers) bought the game and where shocked at what you actually have to do to get your hands on some of them them. I think it's pretty much a huge waste for PD to model all of the cars and effectively lock them away. If the cr. system remains as it is for GT7 it has to be a heck of a lot more forgiving. Perhaps certain offline challenges should be beat to purchase a select bunch of cars, just nothing that takes actuall grinding away at races you know you're going to win anyway.

If that cr. glitch wouldn't have been around at v1.01 I'd be nowhere now because online racing pays unbelievably crappy.. and because I don't have that much time each week, I don't know, since the time GT6 released I've earned maybe 30-40 mil cr.. so ya, there would have been endless hours of boredom without the glitch.

There's so many older people playing this game that just want race with others online and would be proud to be crowned the laziest cow on earth. :D

I'd have no issue with having a larger pool of cars available in arcade. But I don't agree with this idea of trying to please everyone. Who decides what options they make available? I also think it's important to remember that just because something is popular as a theory doesn't mean it will make for a better game.
Other than saying it's your opinion, why don't you think it will make for a better game to have an "all cars" option? Keep in mind, no one is advocating that it be the only way to play, just one of several. I'd like to see a classic GT career mode, various other career modes perhaps linked with FIA participation, Career Designer etc. So if you choose when you fire up your game, you can just choose GT Classic Career and off you go and you'll never know any different. I can choose, "all cars" and start racing online in just about any race. Who is worse off with that?
Why is it right? How would make it a better game and attract more people to the franchise, by only having the same career mode the game has always had? Try and shed some light on your opinion beyond, I'm right hahaha.

This is what everyone is going to do when they buy GT7, you start of with 20,000 credits then buy a car to win races and build up your credits and buy some cars and stuff as you go along, and it makes the game more challenging to do this.

Umm no. I being playing the Gran Turismo series since 2000 & I am more interested in having cars already these days than racing the AI in hopes of trying to get cars.

This is what everyone is going to do when they buy GT7, you start of with 20,000 credits then buy a car to win races and build up your credits and buy some cars and stuff as you go along, and it makes the game more challenging to do this.

& What will you say then if Kazunori does give the option of starting Gran Turismo 7 with all cars?

Last edited:
Have you ever bought a real car in real life? People don't usually buy without trying them out first. It would make sense to at least be able to test drive a car in some other game mode before committing for example to a 20 million cr. car, Would you not agree?
Yes I have brought a car in real life a Ford Laser, to your second question, you can try them out in the arcade mode and I hope every car in the dealership can be in the arcade mode in GT7 to try out before you buy.

Umm no. I being playing the Gran Turismo series since 2000 & I am more interested in having cars already these days than racing the AI in hopes of trying to get cars.

& What will you say then if Kazunori does give the option of starting Gran Turismo 7 with all cars?
It will never happen because Kaz is not stupid to do this sort of thing, so please drop this silly idea about starting a game and having all cars available at the start of a game. only in the arcade mode for free cars to try and nowhere else in the game.

You should actually read some of the replies before you post. No one is advocating that you or anyone else lose the career mode. I hope the career mode is the greatest in the history of gaming, it just doesn't appeal to some of us and we'd like another path through the game.

The 6 million/4 million split I already explained to you here.

/s

Alright, I'm awake and active this time. Let me see here

About the 6/4 split you did, that doesn't make sense. The way I see it , if it's done ( ie. All Cars Available) then 100% of players will be happy and if it isn't done then 40% of players will be unhappy. So as I'm part of the 'No' crowd, if it's done then I should be happy about what I'm not happy about? Nah son, doesn't work like that. Weren't you guys the ones who brought up the act of "forcing" in to the picture?

In terms of the poll, the way it should be looked at is this: If it's done, 40% are happy, 60% aren't happy , If it isn't done then 40% unhappy, 60% happy. In this case, the higher number should be favoured. That's how a poll works doesn't it? The public has spoken.... Well they're still speaking.

Options are good but in this case it shouldn't be an option in my opinion. Why? It's because of what consequences it will bring for GT. As @ironman44321 said,

But I don't agree with this idea of trying to please everyone. Who decides what options they make available? I also think it's important to remember that just because something is popular as a theory doesn't mean it will make for a better game.

However, I think it's a good idea to reduce the prices of some cars, have a bigger pool of cars for arcade and online along with having a test drive feature. Also, winning more cash from achievements from races. Speaking of features, if all cars aren't available then some say potential features will be killed off, what about the flip-side? No UCD? No Potential Auction House?

This thing of saying it's 'forceful', 'abusive', 'tedious', 'Soldier-fashion' to play GT Life and grind for cars (Personally I haven't spent 5 hours grinding for a car in 1 stint, I was just smart with how I got money in game without micro-transactions. As a matter fact, who has time to buy all the cars let alone drive all of them even?) when it has even been said that AI and the latter will be improved is just a plea to make the game easier and have parity.

This is just in the case of GT though. @Johnnypenso , since I know you love Project CARS , please explain how and why it will benefit from their side? I'm not saying it's bad to have Cars Available from the start in general, for some games it has worked but as I've said, In the case of GT it shouldn't follow suite.

While I still kind of like the good old GT Mode career model (although I'd love a mixture of that and a proper racing career instead), I do realize that after 15 years it has gotten stale for many as well turned people off from playing the game.

So, again - why is it bad to offer people other ways to enjoy the game? How does it affect you personally and your enjoyment of the game?

Options are good but in this case it shouldn't be an option in my opinion. Why? It's because of what consequences it will bring for GT. As @ironman44321 said,
What consequences? That it won't make for a better game? Lack of options tend to do that.

Back