NBA 2011-2012 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 924 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to get back on-topic. The Spurs are going to sweep the Clippers.
I didn't think they could, but it sure is looking that way now. Of course, Chris Paul doesn't look anywhere near 100%, so that doesn't help. I like the Clippers, and I LOVE CP3, but as I've mentioned before, I hate the ownership, so I think it's great that Sterling's not getting the most out of his money. 👍

Don't get me started on Blake Griffin.

That man has talent, but unfortunately he wants to go for the dunk too many times. His defense can use some work, and he has to work on a shot. A big man that can shoot the ball well poses problems for interior paint defense.
For about a quarter or two of this game, he was one of the best offensive big man in the NBA history. Too bad it didn't continue into the second half. Hakeem did that night in, night out!

I think no matter what happens to the Clippers, they don't really have anything to be disappointed in. This is probably their best season in ages. You CERTAINLY have to feel good knowing that a Los Angeles team BESIDES the Lakers is doing so well. It's almost like the college football rivalry between USCal and UCLA, especially if you've seen all the "the L.A. football monopoly is over" smack UCLA talks. Of course, USCal are STILL kings of L.A. college football.

Heat at Pacers today among other matches. Good luck to your team(s) if they're still in it.

The Spurs are ruthless. All they did the last 2 games is toy with the Clippers. I don't think OKC will be able to hold it against a team who have even more experience & veterans than Dallas & the Lakers.

I hope you are right, but I consider the Spurs the underdog in that series. As you said, Spurs do have advantage in experience & depth. One thing that gives me hope in the OKC series is the fact that Spurs are playing very well.

I think the Spurs winning streak extended to 18 tonight? This suggests that they are on a mission, but Utah & LAC were the two teams that they should have beat. OKC is the first team that we are not sure, at least I'm not sure which way the series might go. I know how good the veterans are on the Spurs, but young guys are really stepping up in these wins. Beat OKC!

I hope you are right, but I consider the Spurs the underdog in that series. As you said, Spurs do have advantage in experience & depth. One thing that gives me hope in the OKC series is the fact that Spurs are playing very well.

I think the Spurs winning streak extended to 18 tonight? This suggests that they are on a mission, but Utah & LAC were the two teams that they should have beat. OKC is the first team that we are not sure, at least I'm not sure which way the series might go. I know how good the veterans are on the Spurs, but young guys are really stepping up in these wins. Beat OKC!
No offense, but I don't see how anyone could call the Spurs the underdogs. These guys just came off a 10-game win streak & had, if iirc, 2 other 10+ game win streaks in the regular season.

Against OKC, they are 2-1 in the regular season with a win at home & at OKC. I don't think OKC can handle a team that has even more experience & tougher veterans than Dallas from last year or the Lakers.

No offense, but I don't see how anyone could call the Spurs the underdogs. These guys just came off a 10-game win streak & had, if iirc, 2 other 10+ game win streaks in the regular season.

Against OKC, they are 2-1 in the regular season with a win at home & at OKC. I don't think OKC can handle a team that has even more experience & tougher veterans than Dallas from last year or the Lakers.
No offense taken, and I'm not convinced of that quite yet either. First of all, I have not really watched the NBA this year. I'm very glad to hear that they won the regular season series, and although I don't know the circumstances(key player missing, etc.), I'm so very glad to hear that. That is huge.

My impression of the OKC superiority comes from: 1) Their three stars just approaching their prime. In the NBA, that is huge. Spurs, I love their players to death. Manu was actually my favorite current player at one time(my top-3 fav's are all retired). Having said that, there are no superstars on this team. Sometimes, they pull it off(Pistons). But having no superstars definitely hurt your chances. 2) Thunder are battle-tested. They've beaten the very dangerous Dallas. They are putting down another team built to win it all in the Lakers. Spurs have beaten two teams whose goal was to make the first round of the Playoffs.

I will be nervous until the first couple of games into the Western Conference Finals. If they could beat OKC, I know that they are ready to compete for the Championship.

Don't get me wrong, you can't really take anything away from the Spurs. It's just my gut feeling more than anything. :dopey:

P.S. Their long regular season winning streak I think might've been 11? Blazers snapped one of them, but I don't think Timmy & Manu even made the trip up here. They chose to end the winning streak to rest their players(ie Pop=CoY).

Funny story, I had this mystery tickets offered to me(free as always), me being an NBA hater, I turn them down. I kick myself when I find out that it was Spurs tickets, as theyve been my second favorite NBA team forever. I find out that 2 out of the big-3 didn't even make the flight, can't even remember if Parker played. :P

The Spurs-Thunder series will be a thriller no matter who wins, 7 game series maybe?
There were some really impressive highlights in the Heat Pacers game today. Especially some of the passing.

Wow, it was as Dwayne Wade was everything he wasn't in Game 3. LeBron almost had a triple-double in the playoffs.

Hats off to the Indiana fans for not booing when Haslem took a massive elbow to the head and a somewhat-inadvertent charge for the team.

Haslem's face is the sacrificial lamb for the glory of Miami basketball. His blood ignites the medium two.

Haslem was great for one game. Will he do it two more times? I doubt it.

Besides, pacers did have foul troubles holding them back...and lebron can't grab 18 rebounds like that again. I'm sure Vogel made sure his team see that stat.

As for the Spurs, they are straight up playing like they are the 1996 Bulls.

As for the Spurs, they are straight up playing like they are the 1996 Bulls.
I love the Spurs, but I don't share the enthusiasm that you or McLaren have for the team. We'll find out in the next round, and the round after that, if they make it.

Now, the Bulls in their prime, with the MJ & Pippen(my 3rd fav. all-time) in their prime, I don't care who they were playing, they'd have found the way to break them. 2012 Spurs are very good, and their record is even better, but they've yet to show me if they are great. I hope they do.

P.S. I'm so glad I'm not hearing much about how "boring" the Spurs are this season. I'm used to hearing that just about every one of the Spurs' Championship run. If the perfect ball-movement, defense, execution, etc. etc. is boring, so be it. If Tim Duncan is "the Big Fundamental", so is their coach & the whole team. If you are somewhat knowledgeable about basketball & the NBA, you should appreciate how the Spurs play, and totally respect it.

No offense taken, and I'm not convinced of that quite yet either. First of all, I have not really watched the NBA this year. I'm very glad to hear that they won the regular season series, and although I don't know the circumstances(key player missing, etc.), I'm so very glad to hear that. That is huge.

My impression of the OKC superiority comes from: 1) Their three stars just approaching their prime. In the NBA, that is huge. Spurs, I love their players to death. Manu was actually my favorite current player at one time(my top-3 fav's are all retired). Having said that, there are no superstars on this team. Sometimes, they pull it off(Pistons). But having no superstars definitely hurt your chances.
No superstars? Duncan has 4 NBA Championships, 3 within' a 5 year period. Parker & Manu's 3 from within' that period as well. Those latter 2 also took those Championships & have just been in the NBA a decade. Not a lot of players with those statistics.
2) Thunder are battle-tested. They've beaten the very dangerous Dallas. They are putting down another team built to win it all in the Lakers. Spurs have beaten two teams whose goal was to make the first round of the Playoffs.
Dallas was a wreck this year & Mike Brown is not doing the Lakers any favors. They may be battle tested but they have only won 6 of their last 8 by just mere points in the final moments. The Spurs are not making the mistakes Dallas & LA have made.

I will be nervous until the first couple of games into the Western Conference Finals. If they could beat OKC, I know that they are ready to compete for the Championship.
They have been ready to compete for it since 2003, 2005, & 2007. This is a very strong team who has yet to play aggressive basketball in the Playoffs. They will be a force to be reckoned with once they do so.
Don't get me wrong, you can't really take anything away from the Spurs. It's just my gut feeling more than anything. :dopey:
I'm not & I hope I'm not coming off aggressive. The Spurs/Thunder will be an interesting series, but the Spurs will start with home court advantage & like OKC, they're a very hard team to beat at home; 28-5 this season. Only Miami rivals it in the East. OKC is just a step behind.

Maybe I just have too much faith in them, but I think it will be Spurs in 6. I can't see OKC pushing such a well polished team to 7.

No superstars? Duncan has 4 NBA Championships, 3 within' a 5 year period. Parker & Manu's 3 from within' that period as well. Those latter 2 also took those Championships & have just been in the NBA a decade. Not a lot of players with those statistics.
They are handful of my favorite players, so I am familiar with their accomplishments, and how they came to be superstars, how dominating they were in their prime, and how they are not remotely close to that level now. Tony is still good, don't get me wrong, but he is also noticeably not as quick(I wouldn't say "slower" ;)). Russel Westbrook and Durant are superstars. LeBron James & Dwayne Wade are superstars. Kobe are now reaching the stage that he sometimes is, and sometimes is not a superstar. Duncan certainly can not play at that level night in, night out. Manu, as I mentioned before, one of my favorite players, nowhere near the level of play that he used to play when he indeed was a near-superstar.
Dallas was a wreck this year & Mike Brown is not doing the Lakers any favors. They may be battle tested but they have only won 6 of their last 8 by just mere points in the final moments. The Spurs are not making the mistakes Dallas & LA have made.
I say again: Utah & LAC. Those rosters were built to make the Playoffs. Dallas & LAL, they have had their issues, no one would deny that. But they were clearly class above the two teams that Spurs beat.
They have been ready to compete for it since 2003, 2005, & 2007. This is a very strong team who has yet to play aggressive basketball in the Playoffs. They will be a force to be reckoned with once they do so.
As a Spurs fan, I'm well aware of how good they used to be. Duncan was already getting slower in 2007. This is five years later. 2012 Spurs have a lot of similarities with those Championship teams, but also many things have changed. They used to be about three stars, then impeccable play by the role players. Now the depth has shifted much from the main stars to a lot of quality role players.
I'm not & I hope I'm not coming off aggressive. The Spurs/Thunder will be an interesting series, but the Spurs will start with home court advantage & like OKC, they're a very hard team to beat at home; 28-5 this season. Only Miami rivals it in the East. OKC is just a step behind.

Maybe I just have too much faith in them, but I think it will be Spurs in 6. I can't see OKC pushing such a well polished team to 7.
"Well polished" does seem to hit the nail on the head to describe this team. 👍

I sure hope you are right, and I can totally see the Spurs putting Thunder down in six. Problem is, I can also see Thunder putting the Spurs down in six. I just don't know what to expect. :D I have to say though, what you said about the season series between the two teams are very encouraging. I sure hope those old guys show these OKC punks(disinfected & Brett, I'm kidding!) a thing or two, then take them down, one last time. :sly:

They are handful of my favorite players, so I am familiar with their accomplishments, and how they came to be superstars, how dominating they were in their prime, and how they are not remotely close to that level now. Tony is still good, don't get me wrong, but he is also noticeably not as quick(I wouldn't say "slower" ;)). Russel Westbrook and Durant are superstars. LeBron James & Dwayne Wade are superstars. Kobe are now reaching the stage that he sometimes is, and sometimes is not a superstar. Duncan certainly can not play at that level night in, night out. Manu, as I mentioned before, one of my favorite players, nowhere near the level of play that he used to play when he indeed was a near-superstar.
From the reports this year though, many analysts have agreed that Parker & Duncan have been playing like their younger days & have not been afraid to put up huge numbers in games that can rival Durant & Westbrook, or Wade & James.

Even if they can't play at that same explosiveness every game, they are much more experienced with Playoff & Championship games and know the intensity of them. They are still clutch players at the end of the night, that much was shown when they came back from a 24-point deficit against the Clippers & remained calm about it. Then in Game 4, they still pushed by the Clippers without a sweat.

I say again: Utah & LAC. Those rosters were built to make the Playoffs. Dallas & LAL, they have had their issues, no one would deny that. But they were clearly class above the two teams that Spurs beat.
The Clippers deserve as much credit as the Lakers & Dallas. It wasn't just luck that pushed them to finish just 1 game behind the Lakers. However, they had to play against Memphis who were just as strong as they were. Memphis or the Clippers would have had a tough time fighting the Spurs. The Jazz were nothing more than an 8th seed that had the odds stacked against them from the start; OKC would have rolled through them just as easily.

As a Spurs fan, I'm well aware of how good they used to be. Duncan was already getting slower in 2007. This is five years later. 2012 Spurs have a lot of similarities with those Championship teams, but also many things have changed. They used to be about three stars, then impeccable play by the role players. Now the depth has shifted much from the main stars to a lot of quality role players.
Perhaps so, but again, Duncan & Parker have had some explosive games this season & are still playing with a lot of energy. In a similar situation, reports have said that ol' Garnett has even been playing like his old days.

I agree they've definitely aged, no argument there, and that the team as a whole has stepped up. But those guys still know the deal & that's an advantage they carry into this next series. It was an advantage Dallas had last year & many claimed it was how Dallas pushed past OKC.
"Well polished" does seem to hit the nail on the head to describe this team. 👍

I sure hope you are right, and I can totally see the Spurs putting Thunder down in six. Problem is, I can also see Thunder putting the Spurs down in six. I just don't know what to expect. :D I have to say though, what you said about the season series between the two teams are very encouraging. I sure hope those old guys show these OKC punks(disinfected & Brett, I'm kidding!) a thing or two, then take them down, one last time. :sly:
I've said in the past that OKC have rings & a championship in their future & it could very well be this year. But they have the Spurs in their way & then they may very well have either Miami or the Pacers to face off against (I don't think Boston or the 8th seed 76ers have a chance against Miami/Indy; they're way too good this season).

The Pacers have been a silent, but strong team this year & Miami is just as explosive as OKC. And if Bosh is to return, there's Harden's nemesis right there. Wade & James can and have put up combined numbers higher than Westbrook & Durant, and the young OKC team needs to realize it'll be like fighting a more experienced & stronger clone of themselves, so to speak.

This of course, if they can again, get by San Antonio. That is a scary team & as mentioned before, they have yet to play aggressive basketball so far because every shot, every drive to the bucket has been so smooth & effortless. They have yet to show their emotions in any altercations & just walk away. Westbrook hasn't gotten that through his head yet & it may get him in trouble later in the Playoffs/Finals as everything will eventually get more physical.

From the reports this year though, many analysts have agreed that Parker & Duncan have been playing like their younger days & have not been afraid to put up huge numbers in games that can rival Durant & Westbrook, or Wade & James.
Oh yeah, I've heard them, too. Tony's still good, but Duncan? I think the keyword here is "like". I hope not one of them actually believe or mean that Duncan's as good as he used to be in his prime. Manu, I wouldn't say a shell of his former self, but yeah, not the fireworks that he used to be just few years ago. Again, Tony's good, but is he valued at the level the other superstars I've named are valued at? Absolutely not.

Even if they can't play at that same explosiveness every game, they are much more experienced with Playoff & Championship games and know the intensity of them. They are still clutch players at the end of the night, that much was shown when they came back from a 24-point deficit against the Clippers & remained calm about it. Then in Game 4, they still pushed by the Clippers without a sweat.
Again, it was the Clippers. A beat up Clippers at that, with their star player, the one that makes every Clipper better banged up real nicely. I think most expected Spurs to put the healthy Clippers away in five or six.
The Clippers deserve as much credit as the Lakers & Dallas. It wasn't just luck that pushed them to finish just 1 game behind the Lakers. However, they had to play against Memphis who were just as strong as they were. Memphis or the Clippers would have had a tough time fighting the Spurs. The Jazz were nothing more than an 8th seed that had the odds stacked against them from the start; OKC would have rolled through them just as easily.
So I guess we do agree on Utah. 👍 On LAC, we must agree to disagree. Clippers doesn't have the coaching or the roster to begin to contend, of course, with the exception of Chris Paul. Only reason why Clippers are even on the map.
Perhaps so, but again, Duncan & Parker have had some explosive games this season & are still playing with a lot of energy. In a similar situation, reports have said that ol' Garnett has even been playing like his old days.

I agree they've definitely aged, no argument there, and that the team as a whole has stepped up. But those guys still know the deal & that's an advantage they carry into this next series. It was an advantage Dallas had last year & many claimed it was how Dallas pushed past OKC.
You may agree that they've aged, but do you truly understand how that affects these players? We can talk about experience & know-how all day long, but in basketball, it is amazing how much quickness, reaction time, reflex give you the edge. How about my favorite Spur, Manu? It's past worrying about his athleticism. Every time he takes a hit, I'm worried that he's gonna get injured. :scared: :nervous: This is what I think we will find out, only when the Spurs play against a real contender such as OKC. Utah & LAC were overmatched. You think I'm underestimating the Spurs, but I didn't think for moment those two teams ever stood a chance against them in a series. ;)

As for Dallas pushing past any of the teams last year, they quite simply played close to an perfect basketball. I've seen that from very few teams in the past, including many NBA Champions. I think Omnis called them lucky or something, you give credit to them learning the deal. Bottom line, it's all about the execution. You can learn from experience, but you still have to be able to make that play, and Dallas did that, over & over. Very close to what I'd consider a flawless basketball. At least offensively. :P
I've said in the past that OKC have rings & a championship in their future & it could very well be this year. But they have the Spurs in their way & then they may very well have either Miami or the Pacers to face off against (I don't think Boston or the 8th seed 76ers have a chance against Miami/Indy; they're way too good this season).

The Pacers have been a silent, but strong team this year & Miami is just as explosive as OKC. And if Bosh is to return, there's Harden's nemesis right there. Wade & James can and have put up combined numbers higher than Westbrook & Durant, and the young OKC team needs to realize it'll be like fighting a more experienced & stronger clone of themselves, so to speak.

This of course, if they can again, get by San Antonio. That is a scary team & as mentioned before, they have yet to play aggressive basketball so far because every shot, every drive to the bucket has been so smooth & effortless. They have yet to show their emotions in any altercations & just walk away. Westbrook hasn't gotten that through his head yet & it may get him in trouble later in the Playoffs/Finals as everything will eventually get more physical.
I'm gonna burst your bubble on the Pacers right now. Yes, they are very good this year, but if they get past Miami, they will be beat by whoever comes out of West(ern Conference, not Delonte). Pacers need to upgrade their scorers before they can contend realistically. I know they are putting up a good fight against the Heat, but that is more to do with the Heat than what the Pacers are doing. Don't get me wrong, Pacers are doing absolutely excellent with what they have. But they simply don't have enough talent on that roster to have a realistic chance for the title.

On that aggressive basketball you are talking about, what is going on there? Every game I catch, there seems to be somebody freaking out like she's on the &@*. Are they on steroids or something? Wade & Westbrook especially from what I noticed. :crazy:

Oh yeah, I've heard them, too. Tony's still good, but Duncan? I think the keyword here is "like". I hope not one of them actually believe or mean that Duncan's as good as he used to be in his prime. Manu, I wouldn't say a shell of his former self, but yeah, not the fireworks that he used to be just few years ago. Again, Tony's good, but is he valued at the level the other superstars I've named are valued at? Absolutely not.
I don't know. In my view, I think Parker's still a superstar. But at the same time, I think he & Duncan get over looked because they're a "quiet" team. Every game the Spurs play rarely gets talked about; there's no amazing dunk, no buzzer beater, no altercation. I think the Spurs have just been one of those teams that nobody talks about because they just play good basketball. I think one of my friends has said in the past that they're almost too boring to watch.
Again, it was the Clippers. A beat up Clippers at that, with their star player, the one that makes every Clipper better banged up real nicely. I think most expected Spurs to put the healthy Clippers away in five or six.
As did I, to be honest. But still, even with it being the Clippers, it's scary to see a team rally back from a 24-point deficit & keep their cool. Honestly, I think the Spurs were just 🤬 with the Clippers by that point; they knew they were moving on to the next series.
So I guess we do agree on Utah. 👍 On LAC, we must agree to disagree. Clippers doesn't have the coaching or the roster to begin to contend, of course, with the exception of Chris Paul. Only reason why Clippers are even on the map.
I've heard this a lot regarding the Clippers roster & I will agree that they are not a Championship-caliber team. But I think Paul, Griffin, & Butler deserve credit. They fought hard & had some really clutch plays. But San Antonio just proved to be too much. I think Griffin just isn't consistent enough, to add on.
You may agree that they've aged, but do you truly understand how that affects these players? We can talk about experience & know-how all day long, but in basketball, it is amazing how much quickness, reaction time, reflex give you the edge. How about my favorite Spur, Manu? It's past worrying about his athleticism. Every time he takes a hit, I'm worried that he's gonna get injured. :scared: :nervous: This is what I think we will find out, only when the Spurs play against a real contender such as OKC. Utah & LAC were overmatched. You think I'm underestimating the Spurs, but I didn't think for moment those two teams ever stood a chance against them in a series. ;)
I will go head & agree that age takes a toll. But even then, OKC is still a young team. The highest turnover rate this season shows they will make mistakes, they will get cocky. Parker, Manu, & Duncan, while old yes, still know how to run effective plays & I think that will be their key to holding back the Thunder. They know exactly how to make use of everyone on the team & that's a valuable asset when even the bench steps up. As long as the Spurs play solid defense, I think they'll keep pace. LA & Dallas failed to do that & failed to stop OKC's ability to drive to the basket.
As for Dallas pushing past any of the teams last year, they quite simply played close to an perfect basketball. I've seen that from very few teams in the past, including many NBA Champions. I think Omnis called them lucky or something, you give credit to them learning the deal. Bottom line, it's all about the execution. You can learn from experience, but you still have to be able to make that play, and Dallas did that, over & over. Very close to what I'd consider a flawless basketball. At least offensively. :P
I agree with Omnis to a point it was luck. But, there's no denying Nowitzki used his past time in the Playoffs to become such a clutch player. He's about as old as Duncan & I believe he's been in the league the same amount of time and his age didn't stop him from rallying us back several times (of course then again, Dirk isn't an extremely quick player. It's all in that 1 of a kind fade away & his height).

I can see the Spurs being just as capable of doing the same if OKC gets the upper hand. They are capable of playing perfect basketball; they've done it all season.
I'm gonna burst your bubble on the Pacers right now. Yes, they are very good this year, but if they get past Miami, they will be beat by whoever comes out of West(ern Conference, not Delonte). Pacers need to upgrade their scorers before they can contend realistically. I know they are putting up a good fight against the Heat, but that is more to do with the Heat than what the Pacers are doing. Don't get me wrong, Pacers are doing absolutely excellent with what they have. But they simply don't have enough talent on that roster to have a realistic chance for the title.
I'll agree to that. The Pacers have been underrated though from their performance in the regular season. But again, you're right. It has to do more with Bosh's absence & Wade's poor games.

They hopefully realize though that none of them can have a bad game again in the Finals. The Spurs/OKC will capitalize on it in a heartbeat.
On that aggressive basketball you are talking about, what is going on there? Every game I catch, there seems to be somebody freaking out like she's on the &@*. Are they on steroids or something? Wade & Westbrook especially from what I noticed. :crazy:
That's because they have gigantic egos. I'm sure you saw how Wade reacted to his own coach. :ouch:

Last edited:
I don't know. In my view, I think Parker's still a superstar. But at the same time, I think he & Duncan get over looked because they're a "quiet" team. Every game the Spurs play rarely gets talked about; there's no amazing dunk, no buzzer beater, no altercation. I think the Spurs have just been one of those teams that nobody talks about because they just play good basketball. I think one of my friends has said in the past that they're almost too boring to watch.
I firmly believe that casual fans are ignorant fans. I have heard Portland fans complain about the team's off-court issues, weak defense inside & out, ball movement, etc., etc., etc. When I point out that Spurs does everything they complain about so damn well, then some, they make a face & tell me how they could fall asleep watching the Spurs play. I just go "you dunno what you are talking about" to their face, but I'm actually thinking a lot worse than that. :P

I like Parker, and I think he's an all-star. I however would not regard him as a superstar. Our Brandon Roy was the same way. Great player, great execution, high basketball I.Q., but he was no Kobe Bryant. Good for 20-some points, much more on giving night, but falls just short. Durant has clearly achieved that status, Westbrook, perhaps he's not consistent enough, but I think he's already as good scorer as Tony was in his prime. Tony has always cashed in on his quickness, but he will not win that fight against Westbrook. Like you noted, I'm certain he will have to rely on that veteran savvy.
As did I, to be honest. But still, even with it being the Clippers, it's scary to see a team rally back from a 24-point deficit & keep their cool. Honestly, I think the Spurs were just 🤬 with the Clippers by that point; they knew they were moving on to the next series.

I've heard this a lot regarding the Clippers roster & I will agree that they are not a Championship-caliber team. But I think Paul, Griffin, & Butler deserve credit. They fought hard & had some really clutch plays. But San Antonio just proved to be too much. I think Griffin just isn't consistent enough, to add on.
Yeah, I'm sure Clipper fans are still recovering from that nightmare of Game 4. Unless they stopped watching in the second half. :lol:

I regard Griffin as a very good player, if not future superstar player(he's already an all-star right?). Having said that, Paul is the 🤬 My biggest wish for my Blazers is to get an elite playmaker, because: 1) They sure make the team fun to watch 2) With the team like the Blazers(low basketball I.Q.), we need someone with a brain leading the offense.

Chris Paul, as popular as he is, I think he's still somewhat underrated. He's supposed to be an Laker! :dopey:
I will go head & agree that age takes a toll. But even then, OKC is still a young team. The highest turnover rate this season shows they will make mistakes, they will get cocky. Parker, Manu, & Duncan, while old yes, still know how to run effective plays & I think that will be their key to holding back the Thunder. They know exactly how to make use of everyone on the team & that's a valuable asset when even the bench steps up. As long as the Spurs play solid defense, I think they'll keep pace. LA & Dallas failed to do that & failed to stop OKC's ability to drive to the basket.
I sure hope you are right, but I think you might be underestimating OKC defense. In basketball, it's unbelievably easy to run efficient & effective offense against mediocre defense(i.e. Utah & LAC). I have no doubt that the Spurs are very aware of what they must do against OKC. How much OKC defense will allow is a whole another matter, and once again, I do like that the Spurs won the season series, but I couldn't begin to guess how the series will go until at least a game or two in.

I agree with Omnis to a point it was luck. But, there's no denying Nowitzki used his past time in the Playoffs to become such a clutch player. He's about as old as Duncan & I believe he's been in the league the same amount of time and his age didn't stop him from rallying us back several times (of course then again, Dirk isn't an extremely quick player. It's all in that 1 of a kind fade away & his height).

I can see the Spurs being just as capable of doing the same if OKC gets the upper hand. They are capable of playing perfect basketball; they've done it all season.
It was no luck, they were as consistent as any NBA champs I ever saw. :crazy: Nowitzki was absolutely legendary, Carlisle was brilliant, and rest of the cast were not only great, but they were all clicking both offensively and defensively.

I admit I made fun of LeBron plenty after the Finals, but Dallas shut them down fair & square in my eyes. Le-gen-da-ry!

If the Spurs can show some of that against the OKC, I like the Spurs chances against anybody, but I do have to see it first!

I'll agree to that. The Pacers have been underrated though from their performance in the regular season. But again, you're right. It has to do more with Bosh's absence & Wade's poor games.

They hopefully realize though that none of them can have a bad game again in the Finals. The Spurs/OKC will capitalize on it in a heartbeat.

I read that Wade had his knee drained? I sure hope it's not another Miami injury.... that would be devastating. :P And yes, I do agree about the "bad games", and Miami, if they are serious about this Playoffs, they better get their act together. Consistency is a no-brainer in the post season.
That's because they have gigantic egos. I'm sure you saw how Wade reacted to his own coach. :ouch:
NBA players have egos, but way those guys are acting is beyond that. Physical plays make tempers fly, but way those two I saw react over nothing is little bit psycho. If theSpurs still had Bruce Bowen, somebody would have been killed in the next series, I'm pretty sure. :crazy:

Do you guys think the pacers will beat miami?
I think it's completely up to which Heat will show up. If Heat played up to their capability, I think the Pacers will be either outscored badly, or will be beaten from the free throw line.

Edit:

Oh, god. WTF:

People gunned down after Game 5 in OKC.

Last edited:
I sure hope those old guys show these OKC punks(disinfected & Brett, I'm kidding!) a thing or two, then take them down, one last time. :sly:

That is a cheap shot. This is the first time I have even looked in this thread, which is odd because I have been following the NBA pretty closely most of the year.

Word has it that the Golden State Warriors will return to San Francisco from Oakland. I hear some deal is in place for some waterfront arena to be built in for the 2017-2018 NBA season at the earliest. I think I read that the Warriors left San Francisco in 1971. So it would be nice to see Golden State play ball on the San Francisco side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

We got Indiana at Miami tonight on TNT. Series tied 2-2. Game 5 can be a big deal. The losing team will have to work to force a Game 7 so the series goes the distance. Good luck to both the Pacers and Heat. Put on a great show and play hard.

I firmly believe that casual fans are ignorant fans. I have heard Portland fans complain about the team's off-court issues, weak defense inside & out, ball movement, etc., etc., etc. When I point out that Spurs does everything they complain about so damn well, then some, they make a face & tell me how they could fall asleep watching the Spurs play. I just go "you dunno what you are talking about" to their face, but I'm actually thinking a lot worse than that. :P
He is a bit of an ignorant fan. :lol:

He's from Dallas, so our Mavericks are his home team. But when they don't do well, he watches San Antonio games, predominately because that's where he's lived the past 3 years now & seen several games.
I like Parker, and I think he's an all-star. I however would not regard him as a superstar. Our Brandon Roy was the same way. Great player, great execution, high basketball I.Q., but he was no Kobe Bryant. Good for 20-some points, much more on giving night, but falls just short. Durant has clearly achieved that status, Westbrook, perhaps he's not consistent enough, but I think he's already as good scorer as Tony was in his prime. Tony has always cashed in on his quickness, but he will not win that fight against Westbrook. Like you noted, I'm certain he will have to rely on that veteran savvy.
We can agree on that, then. For me, I think just about every team has someone who would be their superstar (Bryant, Durant, C. Anthony, etc.) & I guess that's where I'd place Parker.
Yeah, I'm sure Clipper fans are still recovering from that nightmare of Game 4. Unless they stopped watching in the second half. :lol:

I regard Griffin as a very good player, if not future superstar player(he's already an all-star right?). Having said that, Paul is the 🤬 My biggest wish for my Blazers is to get an elite playmaker, because: 1) They sure make the team fun to watch 2) With the team like the Blazers(low basketball I.Q.), we need someone with a brain leading the offense.

Chris Paul, as popular as he is, I think he's still somewhat underrated. He's supposed to be an Laker! :dopey:
Griffin's been said that he needs to just toughen up (even though I agree that there are a lot of players in the league who definitely don't like he's dunking ability & have it out for him). That & his outer-perimeter needs more work.

And fully agree. Chris Paul is very underrated, imo. The guy knows how to get it done. 👍 For Portland, I still find Oden's misfortune to be incredibly sad. It seemed like he would be the guy Portland rallied behind, but the guy just has bad knees & at 24. I believe he was finally waived & I'm not sure any team will take him above the lower tier teams.
I sure hope you are right, but I think you might be underestimating OKC defense. In basketball, it's unbelievably easy to run efficient & effective offense against mediocre defense(i.e. Utah & LAC). I have no doubt that the Spurs are very aware of what they must do against OKC. How much OKC defense will allow is a whole another matter, and once again, I do like that the Spurs won the season series, but I couldn't begin to guess how the series will go until at least a game or two in.
That's true, OKC's defense has done a pretty good job of forcing tough shots, just going by the Lakers series. I still think the Spurs though will know how to handle it.

There's just way too much riding for them to be lose any of their next games by poor shots/mistakes.
It was no luck, they were as consistent as any NBA champs I ever saw. :crazy: Nowitzki was absolutely legendary, Carlisle was brilliant, and rest of the cast were not only great, but they were all clicking both offensively and defensively.

I admit I made fun of LeBron plenty after the Finals, but Dallas shut them down fair & square in my eyes. Le-gen-da-ry!

If the Spurs can show some of that against the OKC, I like the Spurs chances against anybody, but I do have to see it first!
I think it was luck that every series had a major comeback point. That's almost impossible to believe Dirk made such huge comebacks, esp. against Miami when Wade showboated in front of the bench.

But yeah, if people didn't think much of Dirk has a player, they needed to watch the Playoffs last year. But, I just don't see the Spurs having to do that. With the Game 1 of the Lakers, yeah, because they're incredibly wishy washy in the Playoffs. They might have a solid game, or they look like the Bobcats. The backlash against the Spurs allowing that to happen is too great (even though yeah, they did let the Clippers start a nice lead).
I read that Wade had his knee drained? I sure hope it's not another Miami injury.... that would be devastating. :P And yes, I do agree about the "bad games", and Miami, if they are serious about this Playoffs, they better get their act together. Consistency is a no-brainer in the post season.
I seriously hope not. I already feel that the current injuries have already played a role in affecting the current outcome of winners & many have been highly unfortunate; Rose & Davis' injuries are almost career ending.
NBA players have egos, but way those guys are acting is beyond that. Physical plays make tempers fly, but way those two I saw react over nothing is little bit psycho. If theSpurs still had Bruce Bowen, somebody would have been killed in the next series, I'm pretty sure. :crazy:
They don't like getting physical without the call in their favor, that's just how they are; giant ego babies :lol:. That's why Garnett always gets labeled as this mean son of a bitch; he doesn't like physical plays against him.:dopey:

Last edited:
That is a cheap shot. This is the first time I have even looked in this thread, which is odd because I have been following the NBA pretty closely most of the year.

I cheap shot the Thunder a lot. More you are absent, more of that trend you should expect from me.

I can't help it, your team used to be the Sonics, and that's just the beginning! :P
He is a bit of an ignorant fan. :lol:

He's from Dallas, so our Mavericks are his home team. But when they don't do well, he watches San Antonio games, predominately because that's where he's lived the past 3 years now & seen several games.
Something I've been wondering about: People say San Antonio is a small market team, though as far as population go, they are one of the largest cities in the United States. I've also heard in the past that many Texans outside San Antonio would rally for the Spurs?

San Anton might be a small media market, but I don't consider it a small market team, especially if the State of Texas root for him. What do you think?

For Portland, I still find Oden's misfortune to be incredibly sad. It seemed like he would be the guy Portland rallied behind, but the guy just has bad knees & at 24. I believe he was finally waived & I'm not sure any team will take him above the lower tier teams.
Actually, I think for us, Brandon Roy retirement actually hurt us more than the Greg Oden situation. But with Brandon, we knew that he had knee issue before drafting him. Oden was a complete surprise. A lot of losers with 20/20 hindsight claim that they knew about Oden's health issues prior to draft, especially in Portland, but I have yet to find one article warning of this prior to the 2007 Draft. On the Oregonian(local paper) website, every time this comes up, I ask them to site their source where they read Oden injury problems. Again, not one reply. They make the claim, never come back with an article dated before Oden's first knee surgery.

We have not had a proper GM since Rich Cho was fired unexpectedly last year. They unexpectedly fire Pritchard who rebuilt the team & the organization, then fire Cho for some unexplained reason(sited communication.... huh? Did he not speak English?). It's completely possible that the owner Paul Allen might not be so clear in his head these days. Acting GM, Chad Buchanan, supposedly he's a great college talent scout. His eye for an NBA talent is truly horrific. We needed to hire a proper GM like last year.

That's true, OKC's defense has done a pretty good job of forcing tough shots, just going by the Lakers series. I still think the Spurs though will know how to handle it.

There's just way too much riding for them to be lose any of their next games by poor shots/mistakes.
We might find out this Sunday!

I think it was luck that every series had a major comeback point. That's almost impossible to believe Dirk made such huge comebacks, esp. against Miami when Wade showboated in front of the bench.

But yeah, if people didn't think much of Dirk has a player, they needed to watch the Playoffs last year. But, I just don't see the Spurs having to do that. With the Game 1 of the Lakers, yeah, because they're incredibly wishy washy in the Playoffs. They might have a solid game, or they look like the Bobcats. The backlash against the Spurs allowing that to happen is too great (even though yeah, they did let the Clippers start a nice lead).
Miami probably suffers from A.D.D. So much talent, but they have shown some serious lapses. Dirk, I don't like him, but you have to respect his skill level. He, along with Nash, Kobe, in their prime, they are/were truly some of the best, and most consistent shooters I ever saw. Bigger people in their faces, but when they are "on", it doesn't even matter, the ball's hitting just the bottom of the net! 👍 Especially Steve Nash, she's the best I've seen outside WNBA.

Completely agreed on the Lakers. Again, so much talent, but in their case, I can't remember the last time I've seen so much mental problems on one team. Look at Gasol! Whatever happened to that guy? He was a premier F/C just couple of years ago. He's still not old, but he's just being walked on now.

I seriously hope not. I already feel that the current injuries have already played a role in affecting the current outcome of winners & many have been highly unfortunate; Rose & Davis' injuries are almost career ending.

They don't like getting physical without the call in their favor, that's just how they are; giant ego babies :lol:. That's why Garnett always gets labeled as this mean son of a bitch; he doesn't like physical plays against him.:dopey:
Rose is Derrick Rose, right? Which Davis are you talking about? Baron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back