Official Ferrari Challenge Thread

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 1,184 comments
Well, this one is pretty much unexpected:

July issue of EDGE just gave FC:TP a mighty 7 (seven) in their respectful review. That is very something - to be honest - when Edge's review policy is concerned.

For instance, Gran Turismo 3 got 8 back in 2001. Congratulations to Eutechnyx and System3, 7 is a great score there.

Edge always makes somewhat "overall" reviews of the game, without "bothering" of system-specific. Review is based as an overall score of the game (as PS3/Wii/DS, in FCTP particular case).

Just put my order in on Play.com

I just need a serious racer to get my teeth into before we get GT5 and this game seems to be the best option seeing as I have no 360 anymore.

and a 7 from edge is very respectful.

Well, this one is pretty much unexpected:

July issue of EDGE just gave FC:TP a mighty 7 (seven) in their respectful review. That is very something - to be honest - when Edge's review policy is concerned.

For instance, Gran Turismo 3 got 8 back in 2001. Congratulations to Eutechnyx and System3, 7 is a great score there.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, now I'm not so sure.

What I do know is that a "7" is like getting a C in school, and considering Edge gave both PGR4 and GRiD a "9", and they very rarely ever give a score of "6" or less, then a "7" is certainly not a good score at all from Edge.

That said, I basically agree with Rainmaster, and that reviews are largely based on one person's opinion, and much of it likely is subjective. I have enjoyed far to many games that got bad reviews from one source or another, and disliked far too many games that got great reviews from one source or another to ever allow a few reviews, let a lone one, to keep me from at least trying a game out if possible.

well ofcourse I dont care all gamer's opinions.
as you wrote if somebody thinks that GRID deserves more than 7 points he is simply out of my "race-sim taste"

i have never played a game like grid or pgr since i was 14 years old (ten years ago)

most of the previews says that it is a sim game when the assists are off and a challenging game...

there are just few days remain,still waiting for release...

as you wrote if somebody thinks that GRID deserves more than 7 points he is simply out of my "race-sim taste"

One thing to keep in mind though is that Edge also has appeared to have a bit of an anti-PS3 and or anti-driving sim bias in their reviews.

For instance, they gave both GT4 and GT5P a "7" as well... despite over 90% of all the other scores from other published reviews as well as average user scores were all much higher. In fact I believe on GameRankings, of the close to 100 published reviews for GT4, Edge's review of GT4 was the third worst! :eek:

If Edge had taken just one more point off their review of GT5P, it too would have been the lowest score among the 50 or more for GT5P.

So when you take all that into account, this is yet another reminder not to blindly trust a review, and perhaps especially one from a magazine that has over time shown some pretty blatant bias in their reviews.

It's hard to read into a 7 when edge are supposed to be more critical then they give an 8 to a dated very buggy game NGII ( I assume its NGII or is it a DS game?). More generous mags have given NGII lower and alone in the dark is generous too.

As long as it doesn't get a 3 or something its promising to a certain extent. GRID is good for many gamers out there who want arcade thrills and spills so I can understand the score.

I just hope the physics change on different settings in FC and bruno and the guys have implemented something similar to GT5P and accessible modes for everyone. What bothers me is every time I read or see the game it's always the controller being used or mentioned, but they do seem to take a close look at PC games and GT5P so I still hope.

Any one here remembers the review scores that Enthusia got all around the net and magazines?
Still it deserved more ...

As listed in GameRankings, of the 50 or so published reviews, 14 gave it an 8 (80) or better... but surprise, surprise... The previously mentioned [sarcasm] PlayStation "loving" [/sarcasm] magazine known as Edge, gave Enthusia the second worst score of 5.

Frankly, I have as much faith (or lack there of) in the accuracy and fairness in the reviews published in Edge as I do with the reviews published in Play Magazine.

I have find three old gameplay videos (with the game at 80% finished) in Homestead, Mugello and Monza (this last posted):

Homestead
Mugello
Monza

About the game quality, the question isn´t how much good is, but how much good is compared with the actual poor PS3 racing catalog (ordered from best to worst, in my personal judgement):

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Formula One Championship Edition
Colin McRae DiRT
Race Driver GRID
Sega Rally Revo
Need for Speed ProStreet
Ridge Racer 7
Need for Speed Carbon
Nascar 08
Wangan Midnight Maximun Tune
Juiced 2 Hot Import Nights

And these other games who can not be considered racing games:

MotorStorm
Burnout Paradise

And seeing the upcoming titles:

Initial D Extreme Stage
Nascar 09

MotorStorm 2
Midnight Club Los Angeles
(anothers not racing games)

I think Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli may be easily in the first place.

Of course the review doesn't mean anything, so why back up an argument that the review doesn't mean anything with another review?

Anyway, Armar never said that the review Edge did was the be all and end all, he simply stated that they gave it a 7 thats it, and that compared to the best racing sim of last gen (own opinion) it came pretty close especially from the same magazine, who are know for the bias reviews. All we need to know is if we like it, I personally love allot of motor sport based games including sims and arcade as they offer different types of gameplay and fun.

I for one am a huge fan of the Ride Racer series and I have played ever version of the game and completed most of them. But I hated Dirt and TBH don't like Grid.

I personally lost faith in reviews from all sources for games because of the way in which things can be manipulated by the powers that be in the gaming industry and the fanboyism that slips into gaming journalism.

Hell if we need to we could all just wait and buy the game and play it; I am. If i don't like it I will trade it in and get something else, if I like it I will play it.

Now back on topic, I personally cant wait for the game, Like I've said before I need a racer that is going to keep my hooked, and I just hope this game will, Dirt didn't and neither has Grid, and GT5p is just too small to have me coming back over and over again. After watching the gameplay videos and looking at screenshots, I can say that I like the look of it, I just need hands on.

IGN uk review now up, 8.3 again like the original dreamcast version marked down for not being casual gamer friendly.....just the way I like it LOL...doh just seen a link to it up the page.

So i read in review that this is HARDCORE SIM game. the guy gave it a good score.. So it is not arcade/sim? its true SIM? if so I am buying it

I'm picking my copy up on Friday (along with the PS3 version of Buzz) and after the disappointment of Grid, I honestly can't wait.

Regards

Scaff

Latest Posts

Back