Official Ferrari Challenge Thread

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 1,184 comments
I just went to GAME to P/X Grid and they say its not for sale till next week so whats all that about when you can order it on the website.

Were did you P/X scaff?

Dude it is on sale, I've been to all the game shops in town to go get buzz and they all had it for sale including GAME.

Thinking about it, you could reformat your hdd and install 2.36 which is currently available on PSN. You should backup your data 1st though :)

Formatting your HDD doesn't clear the firmware, the firmware is on the flash memory built in to the PS3, thats why Sony are replacing the PS3's that are bricked.

Formatting your HDD doesn't clear the firmware, the firmware is on the flash memory built in to the PS3, thats why Sony are replacing the PS3's that are bricked.
Oh yeah, that's right ... forgot that 👍

About Ferrari Challenge : I turned the FX sounds off and i can hear the engine now... sounds actually quite good, but with the FX on it was horrible!
I turned the assists off to see if i like it then, but nope...
Breakpoints and racing-lines seem to be right spot on, but it stil feels arcade and flat, lifelless somehow. No sense of speed.
After all these delays im really disappointed, i think they had the game finished since January, just waiting for a good time to release it.
Glad i didn't buy it. :scared:

Oh yeah, that's right ... forgot that 👍

About Ferrari Challenge : I turned the FX sounds off and i can hear the engine now... sounds actually quite good, but with the FX on it was horrible!
Breakpoints and racing-lines seem to be right spot on, but it stil feels arcade and flat, lifelless somehow. No sense of speed.
After all these delays im really disappointed, i think they had the game finished since January, just waiting for a good time to release it.

The January build was very different you know.:D

Hmmmm, I can´t say much about the handling, but I understand that its likely the most important thing for many.
But the sound is exactly what makes me don´t like the game most. Try to play that over your TV, its unbelievable all you can hear is people screaming with a little tiny noise from the engine... i mean if you need a surround system to hear it somewhat right, isnt this a bad thing? Also there are clunky noises way before you go over the curbs, that may be the correct sounds but why at that point and so loud? I know how a F430 sounds in real and well, its not like this!
I just wonder whats up with the online play/ lobby, i somehow doubt it ever will work...
Oh, one more thing : Two of my PSN friends played the game, one for about 10minutes, went straight back to Gran Turismo, the other one played about 5 minutes, went straight back to GT still playing... remarkable, isnt it?

Like I said there will be quite a few people angry when they bought this game.
For the people who really like it : Enjoy ! 👍

Sorry but you say that a F430 doesn't sound like this, are you trying to compare it the F430 road car? As the noise you are moaning about (the whine and the thump) are from the transmission. The F430 challenge cars run a straight cut sequential transmission, in a car with minimal soundproofing these things whine like crazy when you are inside, easily drowning out the engine, they also make one hell of a thump when you change up, particularly as its done with full throttle.

This is not a road car here and it shouldn't (and doesn't sound like one), I have also now tried one of the other cars (348 if I recall), a road car and guess what, no invasive transmission noise.

Have a listen to this....

...because that how whiney and noisey a straight cut sequential box sounds from inside the car. Personally (and I have experience this kind of sound first hand) I think they've done a damn good job.

I also think its stunning that you can't comment on the handling! What criteria do you use to buy a driving/racing game then?

Thanks for your review, Scaff.

Personally I think impressions taked about simulation level or handling using a pad for play are not much valid.

Thanks again.
Not a problem, but please don't pull the controller means you can't judge handling nonsense, me and my tuning guides (put together using a combo of controller and wheel) will have to disagree with you.

Regards

Scaff

Evening all, quite enjoying the game so far, not fantastic but certainly playable. Was just going to offer up my PSN sign in of JamboGT if anyone fancies a race add me.

Thanks

Sorry but you say that a F430 doesn't sound like this, are you trying to compare it the F430 road car? As the noise you are moaning about (the whine and the thump) are from the transmission. The F430 challenge cars run a straight cut sequential transmission, in a car with minimal soundproofing these things whine like crazy when you are inside, easily drowning out the engine, they also make one hell of a thump when you change up, particularly as its done with full throttle.

This is not a road car here and it shouldn't (and doesn't sound like one), I have also now tried one of the other cars (348 if I recall), a road car and guess what, no invasive transmission noise.

...because that how whiney and noisey a straight cut sequential box sounds from inside the car. Personally (and I have experience this kind of sound first hand) I think they've done a damn good job.

Regards

Scaff

Thanks for posting this real life in car audio example 👍. I've long wondered, but never asked, if the transmission whine represented by DiRT, GRiD and the like was accurate or not. And yes it is quite annoying to listen to, but now that I know it is authentic I can stomach it much easier.

Regards

Scaff

There's also this famous video

It's too bad this game gets released here at the end of August.

Well got it and been squireling away on it for a few hours now. good game, I would rate it as what grid should have been! onlines borked at the moment but managed to get some good sessions in which were fantastic cheers JamoGT for some good clean racing.

Hay guys, im really interested in this game, but live in NZ and its not due out here until september at best. Was wondering if anyone knows of a place i could import it online that will ship to NZ. Cheers!

My biggest problem with the game so far is deciding which view is best for driving? the internal cockpit view has a very limited field of view and you seem to be sitting too far back in the seat. Switching to a bonnet cam view puts you too low, thus making it really hard to judge track distance. I would ideally like a view somewhere in between, i.e. sitting on the bonnet like we have in GT5P.

Also the force feedback on my driving force wheel is so strong, I have to resort to the pad, thus making this game feel like another arcade GRID clone. Will stick with it and hopefully invest in a new DFGT wheel and be able to turn off more of the aids and make it feel more like a simulator

My biggest problem with the game so far is deciding which view is best for driving? the internal cockpit view has a very limited field of view and you seem to be sitting too far back in the seat. Switching to a bonnet cam view puts you too low, thus making it really hard to judge track distance. I would ideally like a view somewhere in between, i.e. sitting on the bonnet like we have in GT5P.

Also the force feedback on my driving force wheel is so strong, I have to resort to the pad, thus making this game feel like another arcade GRID clone. Will stick with it and hopefully invest in a new DFGT wheel and be able to turn off more of the aids and make it feel more like a simulator

Sorry, but no.

Cornering in GRiD involves driving into a corner at full pelt, hammering the brakes on at the last second, turning, at which point the car pivots on the spot and when you facing the direction you want to go you just plant the throttle. GRiD turns corners into right angles.

Even with the controller FC:TP requires you to actually apex a corner, try and drive it GRiD style and all you will do is understeer into the 'kitty-litter'.

Regards

Scaff

The rain is fantastic, dosn't make it redicoulusly slippy but the restrictive view piles on the preasure, tried it online and it really made a difference. Can I also say running this game at 720p on my TV looked real rough, 1080i and 1080p on the other hand smoothed the jagies right out, almost looks like a completly different game! Oh and the custom livery editor......did these guys just lift this straight out of Forza? And I do mean lifted as in physicly lifted it of a forza disc LOL Works fantasticly though as it did in forza and you can take them online!

No idea if it has comms or not, as I have not yet had a chance to go on-line with it.

I did complete the Trophy race for the F355 a few minutes ago, a nice little reward, it opened up the 360 Modena and 360GT.

The livery editor is basically a straight rip-off of FM2, not that I mind at all as it does, just as Hereward says, work excellently.

I have to be honest here, the more I play this, the more about it I like.

In particular that the race duration has not followed the common trend of getting shorter and shorter, simply to keep people attention spans. As an example the F355 Trophy event I mentioned above is 3 races long, each with a duration of 10mins + the last lap, which was giving an average race length of 12-14 minutes (as often the time hit zero just as a new lap had started. The standard Challenge weekend is a 7 minute qualifying event, followed by two 15minute races, these can be cut down to 5 minutes, but in all honesty is a lot less fun to do so.

Regards

Scaff

I also think its stunning that you can't comment on the handling! What criteria do you use to buy a driving/racing game then?

Regards

Scaff

Particulary my bad, because I didnt turn the FX down/off. I did not complain about the engine sound, I complained about not beeing able to hear it:)
Actually I like the whining of the transmission and I didnt hear those clunky
( like metal on metal ) noises anymore:tup:
My `road´ car does make those sounds aswell and i love it more than the engine´s sound , its only doing this in the first two gears though. Dont know why, I guess I have not enough torque there although my wheels still tend to spin in 3rd gear( but only if I over-do it :mischievous:)
I compare racing games always to my favourites: GT Prologue Concept 4(Arcade:tup:) and GT4 (Sim, spend 99% of my time there with Sim- tyres)...
so yes I get dissapointed most of the time lol...
The January build was very different you know.:D
Oh I see :D

Online comms.....oh yes and there very high quality! spent last night gabing away to jamboGT till around 4am, the online servers however are a little more problamatic, weended up getting constant good games by being very specific in the host setup options, worth perservering though as racing is tight and the flowof the tracks works well with the car handleing online, ie you rub someone or miss you braking point you wont inadvertantly fire some poor git of the track, also the penalty system has to be THE BEST COMPROMISE EVER! it really dose work fairly and coupled with a good collision detection system it's allways fair....and yes you can be disqualified from a race and sent to the lobby for being an idiot, but with full voice comms this shouldn't be an issue. if you see a game hosted by me "hereward" feel free to jump in.

Oh and as mentioned the editor.....whos first to desighn a GTP car? I've started a photo comp for BF BC on the general section now the photo upload systems working and I thought if we have some budding artists here lets see your results, the editor is fantastic and anyone who's used it in forza will know what results you can get with it!

Online comms.....oh yes and there very high quality! spent last night gabing away to jamboGT till around 4am, the online servers however are a little more problamatic, weended up getting constant good games by being very specific in the host setup options, worth perservering though as racing is tight and the flowof the tracks works well with the car handleing online, ie you rub someone or miss you braking point you wont inadvertantly fire some poor git of the track, also the penalty system has to be THE BEST COMPROMISE EVER! it really dose work fairly and coupled with a good collision detection system it's allways fair....and yes you can be disqualified from a race and sent to the lobby for being an idiot, but with full voice comms this shouldn't be an issue. if you see a game hosted by me "hereward" feel free to jump in.

Oh and as mentioned the editor.....whos first to desighn a GTP car? I've started a photo comp for BF BC on the general section now the photo upload systems working and I thought if we have some budding artists here lets see your results, the editor is fantastic and anyone who's used it in forza will know what results you can get with it!

Thank you .

Well online is a lot of fun, with good clear communications, good collision detection clean racing (thanks Hereward) and generally a smmoth racing experience. That is until someone joins the lobby while you race. It seems to me at that point the game has a 50:50 chance of crashing. It is very irritating and really needs patched asap as there is a lot of promise. The penalty system in particular is done very well.

Well here are my first impressions of the game so far.

Graphics: These are quite nice, some bit look really nice and from what I can tell the circuits are pretty accurate, I've only been on a few of the tracks but the lighting is really nice and can leave some corners in deep shadow which for me leaves me missing the apex by a fair amount so more TT running is necessary for me to lear the tracks off by heart. Cars look good but the textures need to be a little better. The livery editor proved to be quite annoying so I've given up on it as of the minute. I don't think anyone here (unless witless) thought this game was really going to challenge GT5 for the crown of graphics king but it is a pretty game and really does do its job well, a little pop up here and there plus some frame-rate issues just detracts a little.

Sound: The Sound is ok and again does its job well, but as Scaff has already pointed out the music is poor so I just turned it off (I do this with every racing game anyway, apart from RR) it really does feel a little redundant re-righting what other people have written, but the rumble strip sounds are good, engine and gearbox are good, and contact and tyre sounds are iffy.

Game Menus: The game is nice and easy to navigate and find what you need, but can be slow as its switches from menu to menu, also there is a delay, if its loading one menu and you know you need to go even further in and you press the X button it wont register the press so you find yourself waiting for the next menu but you have to re-press the buttons. I know this maybe nitpicking but that is all I can find wrong with it, everything else does its job well and thats it, and if I'm honest thats the game all over "Just does It's job"

Handling: Not bad at all, one tip I would give is turn off the Aids at once, as they make the cars horrible to drive, even the ABS doesn't help one bit. When the tail gets out its quite easy to get it back into line but over cook it too much and your facing the other way, at first I thought I wasn't going to like it, but after giving a bit more of a chance it really begins to grow on you. Again its no GT but its defiantly allot better than Grid. Winning races takes a bit more concentration than GT because its allot closer racing conditions.

Other Things Well the AI is ok in some respects, I found some cars slowing when pulling in behind me as not to touch me, but entering the first corner on Monza and a car came up the outside of me and kept its power on full just trying to push me up the track sideways. The track atmosphere is good and you can here the sounds from the loudspeakers trackside, and the crowd sound good too. I really need to play the game more but based on first impressions I would give it an 8/10 also.

Car list? oh yeah, think of a ferrari and it's in there, if it's not it's coming on the regular packs.
Sorry couldn't resist.

Back