Official Ferrari Challenge Thread

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 1,184 comments
It's based on video only and what friends have told me (which DO drive the game atm.), but I might be wrong, but I know what I hear and a video don't have to be in brilliant quality, to get the fact about sound.

But don't get me wrong. I really do love the engine sound, it's pretty nice and almost spot-on. It's ONLY the "skiddin'" clutch on up-gearing that bothers me.
Not a problem at all, but have you ever 'flat-shifted' a car? While its not something I would recommend you do (unless its not your car or you don't care and can live with the increased wear) the revs and therefore engine note barely drop, throw in very rapid gear changes and that kind of 'non-traditional' sound is what you get.

Simulation is my most important criteria followed by sound and graphics. I find GT5p pretty nice and I'm sure it will be even greater when the full game arrives. I also play GT-R from SimBin, LFS, Forza1/2. All great games and all delivering what you would expect. All have their flaws:

GT5p - tireskid sound is awefull and always have been. Engine sounds is ok, but not "spot on".
LFS - crappy graphics and somewhat crappy sound (some is ok, but generally it sux) :)
Forza 1 - Best game evah :)
Forza 2 - Second best game evah :)
GT-R series - superior sound and graphics and good simulation.
It was going so well until you mentioned Forza :), but that's a different conversation for a different thread.

Don't get me wrong. I've been playing these driving games since Gran Turismo 1, even before that - Grand Prix Legend - Microprose Formula 1 etc etc.
I also play in a Playseat with G25 with full digital surround sound etc. So I'm not just another fool with a controller in my hand, bitching about something minor.

I didn't mean to imply that you were, but its hard to know exactly who anyone is with the web.

Anyway welcome to GT Planet, your not afraid to voice your opinion and can do so in a civilised manner and a solid grasp of the English language. Your going to fit right in by the looks of things.

👍

Scaff

It was going so well until you mentioned Forza :), but that's a different conversation for a different thread.
hehe, so true :)

I didn't mean to imply that you were, but its hard to know exactly who anyone is with the web.

Anyway welcome to GT Planet, your not afraid to voice your opinion and can do so in a civilised manner and a solid grasp of the English language. Your going to fit right in by the looks of things.

👍

Scaff

Thanks, great place this. You'll see more of me in the future :) Hopefully that didn't scare you :sly: 👍

WhiteDog2, fafat, Chronos, and others G25 users, help me please:

- Force feedback strenght can´t be regulated or reduced?.
How much force does it have, compared, for example, with GT5 Prologue?. Level 7 or 8 of the GT5 Prologue adjustable intensity?.
It is so strong that in Sega Rally Revo or Formula One Championship Edition?.

- Clutch don´t works, and can´t be switched using any button?.

And one more question:

- If the wheel do not turn 900º, how many it turns?. 180, 240, 270, 540... ?.

Thank you very much for you replies.

Best regards.

It was going so well until you mentioned Forza , but that's a different conversation for a different thread.

Indeed. Fun game, but certainly not a good driving simulation.

So, us Yanks have to wait for August?

Scaff, I have a question. As far as the physics are concerned (as it seems we shared a lot of the same concerns), what would you closely compare them to? Any strong similarities to other physics systems, existing games, etc...? I'm just trying to get a handle on how excited I should really be for this game. I don't want to get excited just to be let down, like GRID, Pro Street, Forza, etc....

;)

WhiteDog2, fafat, Chronos, and others G25 users, help me please:

Force Feedback: NO adjustments and it's a bit too strong :indiff:

Clutch: NO clutch and it can't be activated, no matter what button you press :indiff:

Wheel degrees: I'm don't know exactly how many degrees, but there are 3 levels you can choose from, LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH, aka Degrees :sly:

hope that helps 👍

Force Feedback: NO adjustments and it's a bit too strong :indiff:

Clutch: NO clutch and it can't be activated, no matter what button you press :indiff:

Wheel degrees: I'm don't know exactly how many degrees, but there are 3 levels you can choose from, LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH, aka Degrees :sly:

hope that helps 👍
Thank you. You have help me much.

Definitely I don´t buy this game until it has a patch to fix these things, and if it never going to be, do not buy.

I have to say though, that the G25 is directly supported, that you can see from various movieclips on the net. Even the clutch pedal has a fine label printed with "clutch" on it, in the game. I think this game has been released a bit to early and with that in mind, the game is most likely going to be updated, very soon.

runekc: could you say me how much the force feedback strong is compared with other titles (as in GT5 Prologue at any level, or as in the Ferrari F1, as in Formula One, as in Sega Rally Revo, as in DiRT or GRID in any FF percent, etc).?

The rolling starts do have 1 advantage, that of putting cars in a managable position for the first corner! Take PGR for example, you all fir off from the grid and by the time you hit that first corner.....

That is a skill problem, not for the grid starts.

runekc: could you say me how much the force feedback strong is compared with other titles (as in GT5 Prologue at any level, or as in the Ferrari F1, as in Formula One, as in Sega Rally Revo, as in DiRT or GRID in any FF percent, etc).?

Uhhh... hard to say.. around level 11 in GT5, if there where so many levels :sly:,but it's much more jerky, the force feedback in GT5 is a lot smoother.

lol, better strong force feedback then weak imo, I always have my ff on 10...

still got no answer to my question:

does the game only have touring cars or also street cars?

still got no answer to my question:

does the game only have touring cars or also street cars?

The list of cars was already posted in this thread just recently, but yes, there are production road cars and race cars.

Feedback compared to gt5p has got to be 10 plus, rotation will have to check later but i think if you look at the wheel in the car view i don't think it moves more that a 1/4 turn.
Will check later although i think i am going to give the pad a try and also stick it on beginner :crazy:

Indeed. Fun game, but certainly not a good driving simulation.

So, us Yanks have to wait for August?

Scaff, I have a question. As far as the physics are concerned (as it seems we shared a lot of the same concerns), what would you closely compare them to? Any strong similarities to other physics systems, existing games, etc...? I'm just trying to get a handle on how excited I should really be for this game. I don't want to get excited just to be let down, like GRID, Pro Street, Forza, etc....

;)

Missed your post yesterday, so sorry for the delay in getting back.

Yes you guys do have to wait until August I believe.

Now as far as the physics go, if I had to say it was close to anything I would have to pick GT5:P. Its not quite as good, but its not a long way behind. It is head and shoulders above the likes of GRiD, Forza, etc.

If I had to pick one characteristic of the physics that makes me rate it so highly its something that GT5:P, Enthusia, GPL, LFS all have in common. They all punish you if you overdrive the car; smooth inputs, following the line, setting the car up for a corner correctly, etc. All of these games allow a very fast lap to be achieved if you do these things and punish you if you don't. Ferrari Challenge does the same, get the line right through a complex of corners and it feels great, you, the car and the track following together. Get it wrong and it will just be a horrible mess with the car stumbling from missed apex to missed apex.

I like the game and rate the physics engine highly, I think you will as well.

Regards

Scaff

If I had to pick one characteristic of the physics that makes me rate it so highly its something that GT5:P, Enthusia, GPL, LFS all have in common. They all punish you if you overdrive the car; smooth inputs, following the line, setting the car up for a corner correctly, etc. All of these games allow a very fast lap to be achieved if you do these things and punish you if you don't. Ferrari Challenge does the same, get the line right through a complex of corners and it feels great, you, the car and the track following together. Get it wrong and it will just be a horrible mess with the car stumbling from missed apex to missed apex.

Regards

Scaff

Considering the author, that's more than a good review in my book. I don't think it's available here yet, but it'll be a sure buy.

Have you tried to go online with this game? If you did, can you review that also? Thanks! :)

Now as far as the physics go, if I had to say it was close to anything I would have to pick GT5:P. Its not quite as good, but its not a long way behind. It is head and shoulders above the likes of GRiD, Forza, etc.

Regards

Scaff

Ask and you shall receive...

Thank you, Scaff. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like a cracker of a game.

;)

Considering the author, that's more than a good review in my book. I don't think it's available here yet, but it'll be a sure buy.

Have you tried to go online with this game? If you did, can you review that also? Thanks! :)

I've not tried on-line yet, mainly because I've been working my way through the off-line side of things (which is huge in its own right), and honestly the AI is pretty good, so its very enjoyable. Large grids (16 cars) make for some tight racing and if you get stuck in a battle with a car in the mid-field you can easily see the chance of a podium finish slip away.

The off-line side of things allows you to open up certain cars that are then available to purchase (if you have the money), I managed to finish 5th in the European Challenge cup, which opened up a 333SP....

Ferrari-MF6.jpg

....which I currently can't afford. So I now have to either race in the other two F430 challenge event (American and Italian - 7 events of two 15 minute races) or the Trophy races that I have opened up (3 of 21 events - each consisting of 3 x 10 minute races). As I said quite a bit to do, and that's without the Arcade races, time trials or playing Ferrari 'Top Trumps' (yes it does have this).

Which is my excuse for not yet trying the on-line (that and the servers are apparently a bit hit and miss currently - which I have heard has improved a lot).

Ask and you shall receive...

Thank you, Scaff. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like a cracker of a game.

;)
It certainly is, and August must seem a long way off :guilty:.

Regards

Scaff

A reply today from a guy (Alanok) who works for the developer of the game. It's in response to current online issues and a note about the forthcoming download content;

'First of all apologies for being quiet over the past few days. Combination of work and not wanting to bias any views you had on the game. Just wanted to see what the general consensus was and it seems like its generally postive with a few niggles. One of them being the online side. We are aware of the problem and its being fixed right now. Its not going to be an overnight thing and it will need to be tested again so we don't get the same situation, it will then be sent to Sony for approval. Please bear with us it is being looked into.

It would really help us if you could jot down here quickly your experiences online. I see the overall problems are the host PS3 crashing when people join a game, chucked out of lobbies before game starts. Can you also list your connection speed and whether you are using headsets etc. Your help would be appreciated:grin: We know there are some that do not have the problems online but thats unacceptable so apologies. If you come across anybody else having the same problems let them know we're on it.

As for DLC the first pack will shortly be released, I think its one track and five new cars some of which are beauties.

Apart from the online side its heartening to hear that some of you get what we are trying to do with the game and its philosophy on racing. The AI will bump you, it will race you. If it didn't I think we would be getting complaints of the opposite kind, that the AI were single minded and on rails, might as well have stuck with GT5 is what would have been screamed at us. Those with the game and their initial thoughts are not positive, i'd urge you to stick with the game and carry on for a few more races. If its not your cup of tea then fair enough, we can't win over everyone all the time. Just thanks for giving us a chance, its appreciated'

Quote from Alanok, taken from AVF Forums, 8th july 2008

A reply today from a guy (Alanok) who works for the developer of the game. It's in response to current online issues and a note about the forthcoming download content;

Thanks for the info david at lest they are looking into the online part.

The online races that i have managed to have its been really good clean close racing but i can only get one race in at a time so been doing the offline alot to unlock all the cars for when they get the online fixed.

What System 3 need is a forum for the game so peeps can give them feed back and how to inprove the online aspect of the game.

Have you got a link for the AVF Forums at all m8 and thanks for the update.

Regards

Scaff

I would have to second this, but also add that IMO I feel that now having spent more time with the game and with the DFP, It seems to me this game is allot more sim like that GT5p as I can aggressively drive the cars in GT5p (at the cost of time and speed) but still not be punished as severely as I do in FC, this game really make me realize that this is more Sim than arcade by a long shot.

Things Like Forza, PGR, Grid ect are just no comparison they are truly sitting in the dark ages of racing games as far as portraying real life handling, but again Im no expert I can only give my opinion, and before anyone tries to shoot me down I have owned Forza 2 and PGR4 and own Grid :scared:

Just got back from a trip to the UK & was surprised to see FC on sale in London the day before I left & again at Heathrow airport. As I had not read any proper reviews of the game, I decided to refrain from buying (+ the fact that it sells for 50 quid in the UK (I think it was 40 pounds "tax free" at the airport). You poor bastards really do get screwed price-wise!

Here are some pics of the rain effects. It looks really good in 1080p and a nice touch, really immersive, same the replays have frame drops and screentear.

It's quite arcadey imo but the feedback on the G25 weight shifting and hitting the apex do feel good. Not sure it sets any new ground and not sure what to say to someone who's played lots of PC sim games and played PGR and Forza 2 on console to run out and buy this full price with the glitches, but I do like it.
fc2zx0.jpg

fc48od0.jpg

fc1cs7.jpg

fc3tm4.jpg

fc6hr3.jpg

fc9zb8.jpg

fc67ql5.jpg

Nice bit of sliding action.

I must say that I took the 348 on Masano and the frame rate held up really well in-game and the replay, top fun. Also great sounds on this car, with nice down shifting plus gearbox whine, perhaps some air intake authentic and surprising quality. At the moment I can't save any replay or change the angles, it just plays out one way with all kind of camera angles automatically with only exit the replay as an option. I've tried all the buttons and nothing.

Back