Official Playstation Store Thread

if I buy one of the videos on the store how would I transfer it to my PSP? how about renting?
Here is what I have gathered:

I unfortunately am not going through the effort of linking all my sources as it is a collaboration of different E3 interviews. Which also means that some of it could be misinterpreted by reporters or myself also.

Your PSP has to be firmware 4.05 (last week's update).

I don't know how the copy works, but they did demo it at the conference, which can be found in the PlayStation Store. I downloaded it last night and will watch it today. I was too busy beating MGS3 last night to watch it.

Anyway, whatever DRM they are using will only allow it to play (maybe copy?) on a PSP that is registered with your system/account. Games are very similar. I have to re-register my PSP if I try a demo from the EU or JP stores.

As you will be copying from the PS3 I am willing to bet that it will not allow you to copy to any other device.

Now, as for how rentals work: When you pay for your rental you can only download it once. If you do not play it the file will delete after 14 days. From the moment you start to play the file you have 24 hours. I don't see why they don't just give us 14 days total, but whatever.

So, you have 14 days to watch it from purchase, and 24 hours to finish from when you start to play it.

I have no clue what affect copying a rental to the PSP has on that 14 days/24 hours thing. I would love a trial. Now, if I decide to do a rental, that I intend to watch from home, I will be sure to test this out. However, I already have Netflix, so I doubt I will be doing much renting unless it is a spur of the moment desire to watch something. I haven't visited Blockbuster in a very, very longtime.

If copying it to the PSP is a difficult process they do have PSP only version on the PC store. But I figure being allowed two copies by purchasing on the PS3 is the better option, as the prices are the same.

that is exactly what I wanted to know, since we are driving to NC tomorrow I will tell my girlfriend to download a movie or two tonight and I will transfer them to the PSP and report back when I can on how well it worked. Thanks FK
NC? My boss just left to go to NC. Odd.

You don't have family/friends in Louisville, KY that you are taking this trip with do you?

haha no, all my family is in MD. NC is a very popular summer vacation spot because of the outer banks, which is where we are going (nags head just south of kill devil hill).

My gf started the download of 2 movies :)

For those with a Japanese PSN account, you should definitely download the trailer for The Last Guy.... It looks amazing! 👍

If you don't have one... what's keeping you already? :)

The video store works well, but it's kind of frustrating that the video store and the game store have different carts.

What are the bit rates for the high definiton movie downloads and the standard definitin movie and TV show downloads?

haha no, all my family is in MD. NC is a very popular summer vacation spot because of the outer banks, which is where we are going (nags head just south of kill devil hill).

Yay for NC!!! I live in Raleigh.

Let us know how it works out.

For those with a Japanese PSN account, you should definitely download the trailer for The Last Guy.... It looks amazing! 👍

If you don't have one... what's keeping you already? :)
Language barrier often makes me get too lazy to check teh store.

But I have seen trailers for The Last Guy, and it looks like Cloverfield, minus the "dudes!" It should be interesting.

At least the story idea is new for video games.

US PS STORE UPDATE

PS3 Store Sale
Summer 08 Game Sale
For one week, the following titles will be offered for $4.99 (regularly priced at $9.99)

• PAIN
  • PixelJunk Monsters
  • High Velocity Bowling
  • High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
  • Rocketmen: Axis of Evil

Downloadable Games

• Siren: Blood Curse (3 bundles of 4 episodes @ $14.99/ea & full game SKU for $39.99)
  • 1942: Joint Strike ($9.99)

Add-on Game Content
  • Guitar Hero III: Guitar Virtuoso Pack ($6.25)
    1. Three pack download containing the songs “Surfing with the Alien” as performed by Joe Satriani, “For the Love of God” as performed by Steve Vai, “Soothsayer” as performed by Buckethead.
  • Rock Band Add-ons
    1. Devour - Shinedown ($1.99)
    2. Junkies for Fame - Shinedown ($1.99)
    3. Nine Inch Nails Track Pack 02 ($5.49 includes songs below or songs available individually)
    4. Last - Nine Inch Nails ($1.99)
    5. Burn - Nine Inch Nails ($1.99)
    6. Capital G - Nine Inch Nails ($1.99)

Game Demos (free)
  • PixelJunk Eden Demo

Game Videos (free)
  • PixelJunk Eden Trailer
  • Street Fighter IV: E3 2008 Gameplay Trailer
  • Street Fighter IV: PS3 Special Trailer
  • Bionic Commando Rearmed The Making of Part 1

PS3 Themes (free)
  • Street Fighter IV Summer 08 PS3 Theme
  • Siren: Blood Curse PS3 Theme

PS3 Wallpaper (free)
  • Killzone 2 Wallpapers (2 for PS3 & 2 for PSP)
  • PixelJunk Eden Wallpaper
  • Fracture Wallpapers (x4)
  • Siren Wallpapers (x5)

US PS STORE FOR PC UPDATE

Games
  • Parappa the Rapper ($22.99)

Game Trailers
  • Parappa the Rapper Trailer (Free)

Wallpaper
  • Killzone 2 Wallpapers (x2 for PSP) (Free)
  • Parappa the Rapper Wallpapers (x4) (Free)

EU PS STORE UPDATE

Playable Content
  • Siren Blood Curse full game (£19.99/€29.99)
  • Gangs of London full PSP game (£14.99/€19.99)
  • Echochrome demo (free)
  • Siren Blood Curse Chapters 1-4 (£6.99/€9.99 each)

Add-on Content
  • Guitar Hero III "Guitar Virtuoso" track pack (£3.99/€5.99)

Videos
  • E3 PlayStation Family Compilation trailer
  • E3 Compilation trailer
  • E3 PSN Compilation trailer
  • PixelJunk Eden trailer
  • Linger In Shadows trailer
  • Movement Episode 2 "Munich" part 2 (8 videos)
  • Siren Blood Curse "characters" trailer
  • Siren Blood Curse "Hanuda" trailer

Wallpapers and Themes
  • PixelJunk Eden "red" wallpaper
  • PixelJunk Eden "black" wallpaper

I bought the 1942: Joint Strike game and then picked up High Velocity Bowling on sale. I wasn't sure about a bowling game for $10, but at $4.99, yes. I already have PAIN and PixelJunk Monsters, I highly recommend them to anyone that was hesitant at the $9.99 price tag.

I played 1942: Joint Strike for just a bit last night. It is the same basic mechanics, with added weaponry, from the original classic. But it is all in HD beauty with a definite 3-D look that makes it actually look like you are flying over stuff. At one point I had to go over a volcano between levels, and the plane actually tilts back so that it looks like it is flying up.

Basically, if you liked the original it is a nice HD update to classic gameplay.

The same stuff:
  • Firing the primary weapon repeatedly requires tapping the button, not holding it down.
  • You only shoot straight and mainly fly back and forth, moving up and down is used for picking things up and dodging bullets.
  • Weapon upgrades for shooting entire squadrons.
  • Unrealistically gigantic bosses that require certain weak points destroyed to take down.
  • Dodging back flip.

The changes:
  • HD 3-D Graphics.
  • Missiles.
  • Bombs dropped when you do a dodging back flip.
  • Holding down the primary fire button (as opposed to tapping) powers it up to a strong blast.
  • Two player Co-op with a two person weapon (joint strike).

I can't say if it is worth $9.99 yet as I just played for one stage on the easiest setting. That difficulty level was too slow. I will have to try it out again on a faster difficulty to make a full judgment, but it was still classic fun.

The only way this could have been better is if they had also put the classic game up for like $1.99, or included it in the game as an unlockable bonus.

Anyway, I quit out to get back to MGS4. Once I beat MGS4 I will have a more thorough play through.

Everyone download Pain NOW. It was well worth it at $10. It's a no-brainer at $5.

I'm debating between PixelJunk Monsters and Pain....

Oh i tried Eden last night, and while it's so cool looking and a fun concept, it's a really hard game!

I'm debating between PixelJunk Monsters and Pain....
Technically, they are both strategy games, just completely different styles.

I guess it depends on if you are looking for a new take on a classic strategy game (PixelJunk Monsters = Tower Defense) or a completely outside the box experience.

Also, the true joy in PAIN is not found in the basic sandbox, get a high score mode, although that is fun. It is in trying to meet the challenges presented in the trophy system and getting high scores in the various different modes.

The biggest issue that people run into with PAIN is that it is more than just what you see on the cover. It looks like just silly humor at launching your own body into a single cityscape, but if you actually want to find more and focus on building the necessary skills you find it has a lot of surprises and that there actually are different "levels" but they just all have the same theme or environment. A lot of people complain about it having just one level because it does look the same, but when you actually start trying to meet the challenges you realize that there are a lot of changes from one stage to the next and it creates a whole new strategy.

Also PAIN has the bonus of letting you beat up on mimes, and who doesn't want to do that?

I'm not trying to push you toward PAIN it is just that the challenge in PixelJunk Monsters is blatantly laid out for you and doesn't have anyone saying, "Is that it?" I would say it is just as much fun. I equally recommend them both, but you have to switch your mindset when going from one game to the other. Both games require some thinking on your part, both games have gotten good developer support, and both games can be even better in multiplayer.

The closest thing to a recommendation for one over the other is to say that I play PAIN a lot more than PixelJunk Monsters.

And in case it is a deciding factor: PAIN already allows custom music without needing an in-game XMB patch.

[I bought the 1942: Joint Strike game and then picked up High Velocity Bowling on sale. I wasn't sure about a bowling game for $10, but at $4.99, yes. I already have PAIN and PixelJunk Monsters, I highly recommend them to anyone that was hesitant at the $9.99 price tag.

I played 1942: Joint Strike for just a bit last night. It is the same basic mechanics, with added weaponry, from the original classic. But it is all in HD beauty with a definite 3-D look that makes it actually look like you are flying over stuff. At one point I had to go over a volcano between levels, and the plane actually tilts back so that it looks like it is flying up.

Basically, if you liked the original it is a nice HD update to classic gameplay.

The same stuff:
  • Firing the primary weapon repeatedly requires tapping the button, not holding it down.
  • You only shoot straight and mainly fly back and forth, moving up and down is used for picking things up and dodging bullets.
  • Weapon upgrades for shooting entire squadrons.
  • Unrealistically gigantic bosses that require certain weak points destroyed to take down.
  • Dodging back flip.

The changes:
  • HD 3-D Graphics.
  • Missiles.
  • Bombs dropped when you do a dodging back flip.
  • Holding down the primary fire button (as opposed to tapping) powers it up to a strong blast.
  • Two player Co-op with a two person weapon (joint strike).

I can't say if it is worth $9.99 yet as I just played for one stage on the easiest setting. That difficulty level was too slow. I will have to try it out again on a faster difficulty to make a full judgment, but it was still classic fun.

The only way this could have been better is if they had also put the classic game up for like $1.99, or included it in the game as an unlockable bonus.

Ive been waiting for this game for ages, it was a must buy for me but then there were quite of negative reviews which worried me, they sighted that it was very quick to finish (like 30 mins), had bland backgrounds (although 3D), had gitchy online mutliplayer and didnt offer much in the way of extra game content for the high price (3 planes, shoot, thats it!). Im still very interested in getting the title because I loved the original and thanks Foolkiller for giving a mini review.

I still have a few questions though...

- Can the 2P co-op be played on one console (like locally) or does it need to be over PSN?

- Does it make use of the SIXAXIS?

- Does it support trophies?

- Despite what the reviews say are the landscapes really all that bland below the air battle? Are the plane visuals and explosions detailed?.. basically is it heavy on the eye candy :sly:

- Are the graphics and framerate good on the PS3 verison? (you know what dev's are like with 360 ports!).

- How would this game fair on a 4:3 SD-TV?

When you have played it a bit more Foolkiller could you let me know... really would appreciate it!

For about £5 it seems slighly steep... im really on the fence about this one. One review said you wouldnt need to spend that much to complete in an arcade playing with slots! :lol:

Robin.

didnt offer much in the way of extra game content for the high price (3 planes, shoot, thats it!).
Yeah, just three planes. Each has its own characteristics though (speed, handeling, etc.)

I saw a lot of negative reviews too, but most start off with: It's another arcade shooter, yawn. So, I immediately dismissed them. They are usually the same people that reviewed PAIN with: One level and it gets boring after ten minutes. THAT I know is wrong and just lazy reviewing, and is something I have seen often regarding PSN and XBLA games. Then they go and call $10 WiiWare ports of Flash games art. Most reviewers can bite me.

Catch breath

Moving on.

I still have a few questions though...
I'll answer the ones I can. Just remember I only gave it about ten minutes on boringly easy.

- Can the 2P co-op be played on one console (like locally) or does it need to be over PSN?
Don't know. I didn't try. I'll check that out this weekend and get back to you. I do know it has an invite system though. I saw that. Reading online some people are saying both. It would be silly to have online but no same-room (but I say that for all games).

Not that I saw. Left stick = move, X = shoot (hold for charge), Square = missile, I don't remember whether it was triangle or circle that did the bombing/dodging back flip. Whichever it was the other button was used for your joint strike weapon.

If it does it didn't add them to my list, so I am assuming no. At least not right now.

- Despite what the reviews say are the landscapes really all that bland below the air battle? Are the plane visuals and explosions detailed?.. basically is it heavy on the eye candy :sly:
It looks like WWII footage almost. So, kind of brownish and muted. Thing is there was enough enemies and bullets that focusing on the ground was not what I was doing.

Your planes and enemies are definitely clearer and brighter, but your plane is small, so it isn't much. The explosions didn't look bad, but didn't catch my eye either.

But I will say that if you are looking for eye candy, this is likely not the game for that (MGS4 is though).

Here are some screenshots:
1942-joint-strike-20080602095506449_640w.jpg

1942-joint-strike-20080709112235579_640w.jpg

Nothing blows you away with the graphics, but when compared to the original:
194-3.jpg

- Are the graphics and framerate good on the PS3 verison? (you know what dev's are like with 360 ports!).
I didn't notice any problems, but I don't have an HDTV yet so there could be some problems on one of those.

That is what I am playing on, a 45" rear-projection SDTV screen.

When you have played it a bit more Foolkiller could you let me know... really would appreciate it!
Definitely.

For about £5 it seems slighly steep... im really on the fence about this one. One review said you wouldnt need to spend that much to complete in an arcade playing with slots! :lol:
Yeah, I think if this didn't have a nostalgia factor I wouldn't have blindly put down $9.99 on it. Now that I have, I need to put some play time into it to determine if it as worth it.

PS3 Store Sale
Summer 08 Game Sale
For one week, the following titles will be offered for $4.99 (regularly priced at $9.99)

• PAIN
  • PixelJunk Monsters
  • High Velocity Bowling
  • High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
  • Rocketmen: Axis of Evil

I've been interested in these (except for High Stakes, as I already had that), but not at $10... but at first I thought this was all a mixed blessing as I won't be back home for another three weeks, long after the sale is supposed to end.

However, we are currently visiting my folks in the Bay Area, and by adding my PSN account to their PS3, I was able to purchase the games without any problems:

DSCN2110.jpg

Thus should be able to download them when we get back. Yet another useful option to have. 👍

BTW: Besides Rocketmen, Monsters, PAIN, and Bowling; I also saw that Go! Sports Skydiving and Elefunk were only $5 as well so I added them to my purchase as well. 👍

In case any Sony PSN insiders are checking this thread, if any of the following games ever drop down to $5 I'll be happy to buy them as well:
  • Nucleus
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II
  • Everyday Shooter
  • Toy Home
  • Wolf of the Battlefield
  • Novastrike
  • 1942: Joint Strike
Frankly, with the exception of Joint Strike, as it just came out, most of these really should have been part of this Summer Sale as well. :odd:

I also might be tempted to pick up TEKKEN 5 is it ever drops down to $10... and despite the fact that I really like mystery horror games like Silent Hill, for $40, I think I may have to pass on Siren: Blood Curse unless the reviews or opinions I trust are really positive. I'm also holding off paying $30 for Fatal Inertia EX... just seems too high for an arcade SW Pod racing game.

I got Rocketman and High Velocity Bowling. The bowling game is fairly entertaining although I like Wii Sports bowling better. Rocketman isn't bad but I wouldn't consider it a great game either. They both were at least worth the $5 opposed to $10.

Well, I have had a chance to play through 1942 (beat MGS4) and High Velocity Bowling.

I recommend HVB at the $5 price definitely. I just wish the challenges weren't based on a level system and you could go through all the trick shots. This could be more because I am not good enough to get past level 3 yet on the tournament mode, and I swear "Black Lung" Beatrice purposely gets a come-from-behind win every time.

Control-wise, I like it better than Wii Bowling just because the hand position feels natural and there is none of that hold and let go of a button thing. The only button presses, aside from selecting your alignment and ball direction, is the L2 and R2 buttons (under your fingers naturally) for ball spin.

Wii Bowling and HVB each have their own pluses and minuses, but for $5 it is worth it to not switch systems or use Miis. Oh, and custom music too.

Now for 1942: Joint Strike. I will reanswer all of Robin's questions first.

You can do same-system or online both.

No. Left stick for moving, buttons for firing.

No.

Landscapes are bland because of the style and the fact that most boss fights are over open areas or water.

Explosions are OK, nothing spectacular, but some of the effects are cool, like plane shrapnel collapsing a building below and the ability to destroy things like cranes, so you get this cool collapsing/exploding effect.

Definitely not eye candy though. Not great, just good.

I still saw no framerate issues on my SDTV.

Fairs well on mine.

As to whether this is a $10 game when putting nostalgia aside? No, I don't think so. I am not upset that I paid $10, but if I had no nostalgic attachment I wouldn't be happy.

All that said, This game is hard. I mean Contra 3 hard. Bullets and missiles are flying everywhere. You have to pay attention and learn the patterns. But even then some of the missiles are heat seeking.

However, this difficulty is very reminiscent of the original. I clearly remember having to be in certain places at certain times on the original to avoid getting shot and this is no different. This has a very late 80s, early 90s arcade shooter feel to it, which is exactly what I was looking for.

In contrast, Wolf of the Battlefield was an omnidirectional shooter with a look of the original commando games. It was an update in gameplay as well as looks. 1942 is an update in looks, but the gameplay is mostly still intact.

And it isn't all just move back and forth and shoot either. One mode your weapons get knocked out after killing a boss and so you must flee as you get chased by an extremely large ship. Your only way to win is to dodge everything and allow the smaller enemy planes to collide with the big ship, doing damage.

To sum up, it is definitely a fun little game, but unless you were a big fan of the original I suggest waiting for the price to come down.

I do know that occasionally these things will have a one week price drop to $7.99 in an attempt to get more sales in.

Thanks Foolkiller for that detailed responce, appreciate it 👍 I think your right about the nostalgia element, i liked the original but i think i will hold out for a price drop because i think around 7 bucks would be more reasonable.

Cheers,

Robin

so on movies, I rented Stargate ark of truth and immediately transfered it to my PSP, there is a warning telling you that it cannot be transfered back and then off you go, very quick transfer considering the size (I will be needing an 8 gig). once transfered the 14 original days were still there, I imagine it does not start that time from scratch and you just carry over whatever you had left on the PS3, it is good to know it doesn't start your 24 hours on transfer though. watched it twice during the 24 hours and then when I knew the time was a minute from being up I started watching again. Sure enough it cut in say this blah blah has expired blah blah, at which point it gave me the option of deleting it. I bought several episodes of family guy which I have transfered back and forth with no problems whatsoever. One thing to note is that apparently it doesn't keep track of movie downloads (unless I did something wrong) because one of the FG episodes had a problem where it would cut back to XMB and give an error at the same point every time (very much like what you would experience on a scratched DVD including being able to fast forward through it.) without checking my download list I deleted the episode intending to try downloading it again. Low and behold I discovered that I had to buy it again. $2.00 so no big loss but definitely something to consider...

One thing to note is that apparently it doesn't keep track of movie downloads (unless I did something wrong) because one of the FG episodes had a problem where it would cut back to XMB and give an error at the same point every time (very much like what you would experience on a scratched DVD including being able to fast forward through it.) without checking my download list I deleted the episode intending to try downloading it again. Low and behold I discovered that I had to buy it again. $2.00 so no big loss but definitely something to consider...
So, what is the point of the video store having a separate download list? So, if you get a bad download, too bad?

Hurm. :grumpy:

Back