Official Playstation Store Thread

Yeah you should be able to buy it from the EU store fine... 👍

Anyone tried the Star Wars demo yet? Is it any good?

Robin

Cool thanks, I'll have to make an account this weekend and explore.

Force Unleashed is really fun, although it seems kind of too easy from the demo, and everything seems to run on a track that won't let you search around at all. And the graphics aren't great, but not bad.

Have to agree with you there. But it's great fun to just fling a stormtrooper around!

When are they going to release some more PS1 games? I mean, I know we just recently got Driver and a couple of others...but Im still waiting on the true classics, e.g. Destruction Derby 2, Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4, Wipeout 2097, Rollcage, Resident Evil 1 & 2, etc, etc. These were meant to be "upcoming" before, but weve yet to see them.
Do Sony give us release dates at all for PSN games?

I think they do for new PSN games but not classic PS1 titles. When they release those is really at their discretion... and what they choose to release is also largely unknown.

If you really eager to get hold of them (and you have a BC PS3) its probably better to buy the originals off ebay because they are likely to be cheaper than buying them from the store.

Robin

I think they do for new PSN games but not classic PS1 titles. When they release those is really at their discretion... and what they choose to release is also largely unknown.

If you really eager to get hold of them (and you have a BC PS3) its probably better to buy the originals off ebay because they are likely to be cheaper than buying them from the store.

Robin

I really buy them to play on my PSP and before you say firmware hacks, I really cant be bothered.
I am not hugely eager to get them, if I was, I would just play them on emulator on my PC, but like I said, I cant be bothered with the headache of trying to get them to work and sorting out plugins, etc.

When are they going to release some more PS1 games? I mean, I know we just recently got Driver and a couple of others...but Im still waiting on the true classics, e.g. Destruction Derby 2, Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4, Wipeout 2097, Rollcage, Resident Evil 1 & 2, etc, etc. These were meant to be "upcoming" before, but weve yet to see them.
The official Sony word on PS1 games is that since many of the ones people want were third-party, even if they were exclusive, they have to relicense them for PSN. Then, even when they get the games approved, they also have to relicense the music for the game on a new platform. They haven't quite explained why it is easier to get this done in Japan than NA and Europe, but if I had to guess I would say there are a combination of factors involved.

Joystiq had a quote a while back saying that if you wanted a PS1 game on PSN to start writing the developer to get them to do it.

My only thought on all this is why don't they at least start rolling out as many of their first-party titles as possible, even if they are bad. That will at least show they are trying.

I really buy them to play on my PSP and before you say firmware hacks, I really cant be bothered.
I am not hugely eager to get them, if I was, I would just play them on emulator on my PC, but like I said, I cant be bothered with the headache of trying to get them to work and sorting out plugins, etc.
I agree with this completely. I own MGS and GT1/GT2 on disc, but I want them to be properly ported to my PSP.

The real big hold ups with PS1 titles is licensing issues with Music and Voice Actors. The original contracts and license agreements were never crafted to include Digital Distribution when the games were developed 10 years ago, so it's a huge PITA to do it now, since some of those companies either want more money, or in the worse case scenario, don't exist anymore, in which case SCEA is left chasing their tail.

That, and Sony really doesn't make that much money on it.

Also, before some folks start talking about Virtual Console, that's a different breed of monster, since 90% of those titles don't have any voice acting, and the music is all midi and was generally done in house, where as PS1 games tend to have licensed REAL music.

EU PS STORE UPDATE

Playable content
  • Pure demo (free)
  • NHL 2K9 demo (free)

Add-on content
  • Warhawk "Triple Combo" pack (£7.99/€11.99 -- contains all three booster packs)
  • Haze "Destruction" pack (£3.49/€4.99)

Videos
  • Movement episode 5, part 2 -- "London" (includes 8 videos)

Wallpapers and themes
  • 4x SoulCalibur 4 wallpapers

I was hoping a demo of Pure would show up. My son and I could have some fun with that game if it plays well.

US PS STORE UPDATE

Qore Digital Magazine
  • Qore Episode 04: September, 2008 ($2.99 Issue, $24.99 Annual Subscription)
  • Episode 04 of Qore: Presented by the PLAYSTATION Network explores a number of upcoming games, including LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and Prince of Persia, it also includes 30-day exclusive access to the MotorStorm: Pacific Rift demo (scheduled to be available 9/11/08), some great artwork and a new mini-game.

Downloadable Games
  • NFL Head Coach 09 ($49.99)

Add-on Game Content
  • HAZE Destruction Pack ($9.99)
  • Rock Band
    • “Skullcrusher Mountain” - Jonathan Coulton ($0.99)
    • “Shhh….” - The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets ($0.99)
    • “Livin’ at the Corner of Dude and Catastrophe” - MC Frontalot ($0.99)
    • PAX Pack 1 ($2.99) - includes “Shhh….” by The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, “Livin’ at the Corner of Dude and Catastrophe” by MC Frontalot, and “Skullcrusher Mountain” by Jonathan Coulton.

Game Demos (free)
  • PURE Demo

Game Videos (free)
  • JEOPARDY! Trailer
  • Super Stardust HD Tips Video 1
  • Super Stardust HD Tips Video 2
  • PAIN Call Da Shot Mode Video
  • Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway - Making Of #3: Counter Attack
  • Legendary Behind the Scenes Episode 1
  • Midnight Club Los Angeles Trailer 2
  • Midnight Club Los Angeles Trailer 3
  • Red Baron Arcade Trailer
  • Saints Row 2 – Uncle Gary Motorcycles Trailer
  • Saints Row 2 – Uncle Gary Taunting Trailer

Movie and Blu-ray Trailers (free)
  • The Ultimates Featurette
  • Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist Trailer
  • The Fall Trailer

PS3 Wallpaper (free)
  • The Last Guy Wallpaper

EDIT: All purchases of this week's Rock Band DLC (the Pax Pack, or the individual songs) will see all the money going to Child's Play charity. So, if you have Rock Band, but don't like or know the songs, buy them anyway and bring toys, books, and video games to sick kids in hospitals all over the world.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/08/30/rock-band-pax-pack-dlc-brings-charity/

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

Last edited:
I downloaded the Jeopardy trailer and was very disappointed. What good is a Jeopardy game without Alex Trebek?

I tried the Pure demo... ugh. Some how the developer thought it was a good idea to add large amounts of motion blur and barrel distortion over the well done graphics.

I tried the Pure demo... ugh. Some how the developer thought it was a good idea to add large amounts of motion blur and barrel distortion over the well done graphics.

Meh, there are too many motocross / offroading style games now anyway... motorstorm, fuel, mx vs atv... Didnt have high hopes for this title.

Robin

I downloaded the Jeopardy trailer and was very disappointed. What good is a Jeopardy game without Alex Trebek?
I think you missed their selling point, well what will make them sell a lot of it: trophies.

I almost felt like it was Buzz with a licensed IP. I mean it was even multiple choice.

I have a feeling my wife will want it though. It might not be so bad if it is a PSN game and is online.

Well, I know whats going to be the big update for the EU store this week, Rock Band 1 finally gets released this friday for PS3, so I expect the entire DLC library to be up this week.

Well, I know whats going to be the big update for the EU store this week, Rock Band 1 finally gets released this friday for PS3, so I expect the entire DLC library to be up this week.
Does the EU have a release date for Rock Band 2? It is something like October or November for the US (on PS3). It would almost be worth waiting for it. All the DLC will still work.

Does the EU have a release date for Rock Band 2? It is something like October or November for the US (on PS3). It would almost be worth waiting for it. All the DLC will still work.

Nope, no release date yet, but I figured that Ill just get RB1 with its instruments, and then import the RB2 disc from overthere. Judging by the wait for RB1, I have doubts we will see RB2 launch overhere before Christmas.
Besides, when it does come out overhere, 360 will still probably have the exclusivity, so we will wait even longer, may as well just import RB2 in October than wait another 4 or whatever months.

Also, the new instruments for RB2 dont come out in bundles in the US till a month after launch...

Lastly, EA have dropped the price £20 for the instrument bundle for RB1 on PS3.

Last edited:
Nope, no release date yet, but I figured that Ill just get RB1 with its instruments, and then import the RB2 disc from overthere. Judging by the wait for RB1, I have doubts we will see RB2 launch overhere before Christmas.
Besides, when it does come out overhere, 360 will still probably have the exclusivity, so we will wait even longer, may as well just import RB2 in October than wait another 4 or whatever months.

Also, the new instruments for RB2 dont come out in bundles in the US till a month after launch...

Lastly, EA have dropped the price £20 for the instrument bundle for RB1 on PS3.
Ah, well then that all sounds good. Looks like the only thing you will have to wait for is the patch to import the RB1 songs over to RB2 for $5.

Also, if you have Guitar Hero 3 the guitars are not interchangeable, but the Nyko FrontMan guirtar will play on both (if they sell it in the EU). You just have to turn a switch when you switch games.

Ah, well then that all sounds good. Looks like the only thing you will have to wait for is the patch to import the RB1 songs over to RB2 for $5.

Also, if you have Guitar Hero 3 the guitars are not interchangeable, but the Nyko FrontMan guirtar will play on both (if they sell it in the EU). You just have to turn a switch when you switch games.

Actually, Rock Band 1 on the PS3 recently had a patch that lets you use GH3 guitars. So its win win win. :)

Actually, Rock Band 1 on the PS3 recently had a patch that lets you use GH3 guitars. So its win win win. :)
What? When? I thought Actvision stopped that from going through. Joystiq even has a compatibility chart that shows the FrontMan being the only interchangeable guitar.

Unless it is an EU patch only and Activision only blocked the US patch.

Meh, I like the FrontMan better than the Les Paul anyway. It is slightly bigger and feels less toy like to me.

- Motorstorm Pacific Rift Demo (For Qore Readers)

It's
censored.gif
like this that makes me hate a lot of things about the gaming industry... 👎

What? When? I thought Actvision stopped that from going through. Joystiq even has a compatibility chart that shows the FrontMan being the only interchangeable guitar.

Meh, I like the FrontMan better than the Les Paul anyway. It is slightly bigger and feels less toy like to me.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77842

Sony have decided to finally take some interest and basically said no to Activision, mostly because Sony is losing out big time with the DLC of Rock Band probably (in the sense that the Xbox exclusivity is killing off potential PS3 customers).

Before, Sony didn't really give one about 3rd party games, they just left them to their own devices, and if that meant getting a bit of money off Activision to stop a compatability patch, so be it. Seems either they've changed their tune or the restriction on the patch was only for a specific time.

Personally, I don't really care, the Les Paul is awful anyway, the detachable neck kills it, and the best overall controller I ever played with was the PS2 Guitar Hero 2 SG. The Xplorer was too small, the Les Paul has too many little issues and the Rock Band Strat has really annoying noisy buttons. I like the quiet strumbar though, for some reason I find it great for alternate strumming.

Actually, if you look at PS3Fanboy (PS3 blog from JoyStiq), the patch is being released this thursday, last month Sony persuaded Activision and Harmonix to make everything compatible for RB2 and GH:WT, and both companies decided that they should also patch current games (I think there is something about a GH3 patch coming out soon)

So I'm buying the GH:WT bundle, and RB2on disc, that way I'll have 2 guitars (RB1 and GH:WT), 2 Drum sets (GH:WT's is wireless, isn't it?) and 2 mics (I'll have to see which one is better, but they look identical and I need one for the downstairs computer anyway)

From,
Chris.

It's
censored.gif
like this that makes me hate a lot of things about the gaming industry... 👎
Chill, it is only a limited time exclusive. They paid money to get the demo early. You will still get it, but it will be a moth or so.

It's no different than when game magazines had exclusive demo discs a month before it went out online. Actually it is different. Those magazines were like $7, Qore is $2.99.

the Rock Band Strat has really annoying noisy buttons. I like the quiet strumbar though,
You are the first person I have heard say this. I hear a lot of people complain about the lack of click in the strum bar, and wishing the GH guitars had clicking buttons too.

Actually, if you look at PS3Fanboy (PS3 blog from JoyStiq), the patch is being released this thursday, last month Sony persuaded Activision and Harmonix to make everything compatible for RB2 and GH:WT, and both companies decided that they should also patch current games (I think there is something about a GH3 patch coming out soon)

So I'm buying the GH:WT bundle, and RB2on disc, that way I'll have 2 guitars (RB1 and GH:WT), 2 Drum sets (GH:WT's is wireless, isn't it?) and 2 mics (I'll have to see which one is better, but they look identical and I need one for the downstairs computer anyway)

From,
Chris.
Now, if Gamefly will just get standalone copies of GH3 for rental....

As for the mics. How complex can they be? Sure, hardware/software compatibility is different but at the end of the day sound vibrates a membrane which in turns vibrates a magnet inside a copper coil, which generates an electrical signal and sends it down the wire.

Sure, if we were trying to make hi-fidelity recordings it would matter, but I even turn down the volume of my voice to prevent others from suffering.

^Heh, I noticed, any idea when its delayed till? I was waiting to spend all my monies on Rock Band DLC, lol.
All PSFanboy said was tmorrow. No timeframe outside of that.

I saw a rumor that said language issues. I assume that if true then it is in Rock Band just because they have so many individual pieces of DLC that there was plenty of room for mistakes.

US PS STORE UPDATE

Qore Digital Magazine
  • Just a quick note to let you know that the MotorStorm: Pacific Rift demo is now available to all Qore annual subscribers and those customers that have purchased Episode 04.

Downloadable Games
  • JEOPARDY! ($14.99)

Add-on Game Content
  • PAIN Amusement Park ($5.99)
  • PAIN: Yeony Character ($0.99)
  • PAIN: Tati Character ($0.99) - Tati is my kind of girl. SHAKE IT BABY!
  • PAIN: Kenneth Character ($0.99)
  • Rock Band
    • “Chiron” - All That Remains ($0.99)
    • “Two Weeks” - All That Remains ($0.99)
    • “This Calling” - All That Remains ($0.99)
    • “Charlene (I’m Right Behind You)” - Stephen and the Colberts (Free) (YES, that would be Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report)
    • All That Remains Pack 1($2.99) - includes “This Calling,” “Two Weeks,” and “Chiron”
  • Arriving Friday 9/12/08 - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Metallica “Death Magnetic” Album ($17.99)
    • “That Was Just Your Life”
    • “The End Of The Line”
    • “Broken, Beat & Scarred”
    • “The Day That Never Comes”
    • “All Nightmare Long”
    • “Cyanide”
    • “The Unforgiven III”
    • “The Judas Kiss”
    • “Suicide & Redemption J.H.”
    • “Suicide & Redemption K.H.”
    • “My Apocalypse”

Game Demos (free)
  • FIFA 09 Demo
  • Guitar Hero: Aerosmith Demo

Game Videos (free)
  • Golden Axe: Beast Rider Trailer 2
  • FIFA 09 Trailer
  • NHL 09 Teaser Trailer
  • NHL 09 Defensive Sizzle Trailer
  • Blitz: The League II - Trailer 2
  • Saints Row 2 – Uncle Gary Sticky Bombs Trailer
  • Saints Row 2 – Uncle Gary Throwing People Trailer
  • NFS Undercover Launch Trailer
  • BiA: Hell’s Highway Brutality of War Gameplay Video
  • Legendary Behind the Scenes Episode 2

PS3 Wallpaper (free)
  • PAIN Amusement Park Wallpaper (x3)

PS3 Themes (free)
  • Mirror’s Edge #1 Theme
  • NFS Undercover Theme
  • PAIN Amusement Park Theme
  • PAIN: Kenneth Character Theme
  • PAIN: Tati Character Theme
  • PAIN: Yeony Character Theme

PLAYSTATION Store for PC

PSP Downloadable Games
  • Field Commander ($14.99) - (also downloadable via PS3)

Game Videos
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Producer walkthru

EU PS STORE UPDATE
It's real this time. I promise.

Downloadable Games
  • 1942: Joint Strike full game (£6.99/€9.99)

Game Demos
  • 1942: Joint Strike demo
  • Elefunk demo
  • PlayTV demo
  • Fifa 09 demo

Add-on Content
  • PAIN Amusement Park expansion (£3.49/€4.99)
  • PAIN Kenneth character (£0.69/€0.99)
  • PAIN Yeony character (£0.69/€0.99)
  • PAIN Tati character (£0.69/€0.99)
  • Rock Band DLC (yeah, all of it)
    • 1 track (£0.99/€1.49)
    • 3 track pack (£2.49/€3.99)
    • 1 track on sale/by developing artist (£0.59/€0.79)
    • 3 track pack on sale/by developing artist (£1.69/€2.29)
    • 6 track pack (£4.99/€7.99)
    • 9 track pack (£7.49/€10.99)
    • 12 track pack (£9.99/€14.99)
  • Guitar Hero III DLC (listed after the break)
    • Metallica "Death Magnetic" Album (£11.99/€17.99)
      • "That Was Just Your Life"
      • "The End Of The Line"
      • "Broken, Beat & Scarred"
      • "The Day That Never Comes"
      • "All Nightmare Long"
      • "Cyanide"
      • "The Unforgiven III"
      • "The Judas Kiss"
      • "Suicide & Redemption J.H."
      • "Suicide & Redemption K.H."
      • "My Apocalypse"

Videos
  • FIFA 09 trailer
  • Mirror's Edge E3 trailer
  • Tomb Raider Underworld teaser trailer
  • Pure E3 trailer

Wallpapers and Themes
  • 6x The Last Guy wallpapers
  • PixelJunk Eden "Red" theme
  • PixelJunk Eden "Yellow" theme

Careful with the Rock Band DLC guys. Trying to catch up all at once is a quick way to go broke.

Back