Playstation 3 System Update Thread

So far here is what is known:
  • Settings Changes
    • Sort your friends via their online status.

I don't like this at all! I liked it the way it was before. With the online guys in blue at the top (alphabetically), and the offline guys (alphabetically) in red at the bottom.

As it stands now, I have to toggle the list between alphabetised (if I want to send a message to a guy who is offline) and online status (if I want a quick glance at who is online), where before I didn't need to bother.

Who thought that changing this was a good idea?

I don't like this at all! I liked it the way it was before. With the online guys in blue at the top (alphabetically), and the offline guys (alphabetically) in red at the bottom.

As it stands now, I have to toggle the list between alphabetised (if I want to send a message to a guy who is offline) and online status (if I want a quick glance at who is online), where before I didn't need to bother.

Well, people were asking for an option to do based on online or all alphabetized, but I don't think that Sony recognized that the original way was popular too, nor did the people requesting the change think the original way would be gone.

Well, people were asking for an option to do based on online or all alphabetized, but I don't think that Sony recognized that the original way was popular too, nor did the people requesting the change think the original way would be gone.

Why did they have to totally remove it though? Couldn't they of just added to it? that would seem logical... perhaps?

Is there any way to set them with status AND alphabetically? I preferred it the old way and was playing a game and couldnt work out how to do it.

No... and like you I preferred the old way. That said it's only a matter of hitting the triangle button and toggling between the two when needed. I was involved with a few different PSN chat rooms, and even with close to 100 people on my friends list it really was not hard to quickly find the people on it that I wanted to invite.

That said, depending on how many people ask Sony to bring back the original "combo" sort as an additional option, like on the official PS blog, on the official PS forums, or via email and such, perhaps it will get added back in.

Hi you guys i think of the new 2.70 update is crap because it does not have in game chat. What hall is the new texts room chat we don't need it because we have sert message box im never going to use it sicks because i wanted a head sert chat room so i can talk to my mate in game attack so yeah. I think sony needs to think before they make a update 360 is still got a better main features on there system.

I do believe that the 360 does have better online expirence as per user to user then the PS3 currently. Why? I have no clue! Why isnt Sony focusing on upping the ante, Voice chat is really not that hard of a thing to do, I know it isnt (not going there). So why don't we have it in game yet? When this comes out, I believe EVERYONE will use it

As per this update, I do believe the text chat is to hold us off. Which is stupid. And anything else included in this update does not really help me out. Which is fine, its something, but still... I can't wait to see the PS3 at Versian 5.0 or something!

Just downloaded it and that was the first thing I looked for. Right now I'm using FooKilla's 'putting each game in it's own album' (albums are sorted alphabetically) and having to press X an extra time isn't a huge issue :dopey:

I have too many games and demos on my HDD to do that (244 and growing).

Besides, I prefer to organize them by genre as well as whether they are a full game, or just a demo. I also use numbers so I can sort them exactly the way I like. 👍

That's why I created the following albums/folders in the game menu bar, and for me at least it works great:
  • 00 Beta
  • 01 Info
  • 02 Utilities
  • 03 PS Eye Utilities & Games
  • 04 PS1 Games
  • 05 PS2 Games
  • 06 Arcade Games (classic)
  • 07 Arcade Games (modern)
  • 08 Fighting Games
  • 09 Racing Games
  • 10 Sports Games
  • 11 Strategy/Puzzle Games
  • 12 Misc Games
  • Demos: 01 German
  • Demos: 01 Japanese
  • Demos: Adventure Games (action)
  • Demos: Adventure Games (humor)
  • Demos: Arcade Games
  • Demos: Fighting Games
  • Demos: Flying Games
  • Demos: Music Games
  • Demos: Racing Games
  • Demos: Shooter Games (military)
  • Demos: Shooter Games (misc)
  • Demos: Sports Games (ind)
  • Demos: Sports Games (team)
  • Demos: Strategy/Puzzle Games
  • Demos: Tactical Games

That theme is weird, when I restored my whole system it was still there along with the default...
Wasn't that one that was added when they updated the firmware to allow multiple wallpapers? That may be why, it is now part of the firmware.

Hi you guys i think of the new 2.70 update is crap because it does not have in game chat. What hall is the new texts room chat we don't need it because we have sert message box im never going to use it sicks because i wanted a head sert chat room so i can talk to my mate in game attack so yeah. I think sony needs to think before they make a update 360 is still got a better main features on there system.
My head hurts.

I do believe that the 360 does have better online expirence as per user to user then the PS3 currently. Why? I have no clue! Why isnt Sony focusing on upping the ante, Voice chat is really not that hard of a thing to do, I know it isnt (not going there). So why don't we have it in game yet? When this comes out, I believe EVERYONE will use it

As per this update, I do believe the text chat is to hold us off. Which is stupid. And anything else included in this update does not really help me out. Which is fine, its something, but still... I can't wait to see the PS3 at Versian 5.0 or something!
Oh, English. Imagine that. :sly:

I'm not quite sure what they were doing, unless it was a necessary step along the way to setup the connected system. Perhaps it is a kind of in-between test to make sure the network for cross-game community communication is stable?

That said, I do prefer it over just PMs. I joined the GTPlanet room D-N created last night and then never actually "left" while I was playing Rock Band. When people left a message I got to see the message, not just the subject. Of course, anyone who said anything left before I finished my current song and could answer, but it does make it more convenient.

Honestly, I see this as more of an upgrade to the current message system than a failed attempt at cross-game communication.

As for the other features, I think these are some of those small items that people often request and they have programmers throw together while waiting for a larger project to get to their step in the process. Then they just have all these minor things sitting around waiting for a larger feature to come along that pushes anew update out.

In this case, the relaxed DRM restrictions on the video store has been largely demanded, including from myself. And while it does not affect other regions outside the US, I think it was something that needed to be done before the video store became available in other regions. Granted, this does not answer every issue related to the video store, but it does get two of the bigger ones out of the way. I am guessing some negotiations had to be reworked just to get the movie publishers to approve of these changes. Now if they can work out some better pricing plans (subscription, TV rentals) it will actually be very user-friendly, and I would likely drop Netflix now that they are increasing their Blu-Ray premiums.

I have too many games and demos on my HDD to do that (244 and growing).
My initial reaction was going to be: I just split it by genre, not individual game. How hard can that be? Split it by genre and then your most commonly played games out of the handful in each folder will be near the top.

Then I saw this:

Besides, I prefer to organize them by genre as well as whether they are a full game, or just a demo. I also use numbers so I can sort them exactly the way I like. 👍

That's why I created the following albums/folders in the game menu bar, and for me at least it works great:
  • 00 Beta
  • 01 Info
  • 02 Utilities
  • 03 PS Eye Utilities & Games
  • 04 PS1 Games
  • 05 PS2 Games
  • 06 Arcade Games (classic)
  • 07 Arcade Games (modern)
  • 08 Fighting Games
  • 09 Racing Games
  • 10 Sports Games
  • 11 Strategy/Puzzle Games
  • 12 Misc Games
  • Demos: 01 German
  • Demos: 01 Japanese
  • Demos: Adventure Games (action)
  • Demos: Adventure Games (humor)
  • Demos: Arcade Games
  • Demos: Fighting Games
  • Demos: Flying Games
  • Demos: Music Games
  • Demos: Racing Games
  • Demos: Shooter Games (military)
  • Demos: Shooter Games (misc)
  • Demos: Sports Games (ind)
  • Demos: Sports Games (team)
  • Demos: Strategy/Puzzle Games
  • Demos: Tactical Games
While I do know how to (or am willing to :sly: ) use a delete option, I see my future in this. I have already had to split my Arcade Folder into Arcade, Racing, Omnidirectional Shooters, Sixaxis Games, and Classic Style (meaning new/updated games based on classic gameplay).

Two questions:

1) What PS2 games do you have on your hard drive?

2) Do you still keep demos and betas after the full game is out?

Two questions:

agreed, I just noticed the PS2 folder and I was wondering what he would have in there...

inquiring minds want to know DN

TB

Could be a place holder for the future.

BINGO! :)

But only an envisioned one... as I don't currently have a PS2 game on the HDD in order to create the album. So technically speaking my on-screen list jumps from 04 to 06. :)

I dump the betas, but I usually keep the demos as I have the room to spare... although I'm thinking about cleaning house a bit. I was especially taken back by all the bloody themes I have downloaded (well over a hundred) of which only a small handful have I ever even used.

The times I find the demos can be nice to have available is when we take the PS3 with us on family get togethers and they want to try out demos for games they may not have played before, or even heard about.

That said, there are some demos that never get played, so I think I'll be trimming it down over the coming months.

Funny, since 2.70 I've noticed everything in Home is a lot slower, lag is a lot worse in Home, and I'm getting disconnected from Home more often. GT5:P is fine though.

Funny, since 2.70 I've noticed everything in Home is a lot slower, lag is a lot worse in Home, and I'm getting disconnected from Home more often. GT5:P is fine though.

That's bizarre. Not only is Home loading as fast as ever, I've never experienced any lag in Home, but have experienced it on occasions in GT5P, certainly in full grid online races.

Do you have a video camera... as I'm curious what lag looks like in Home... does it make it look like everyone is moving in slow motion and or stuttering? :odd:

Considering how often you have reported problems with/in Home where others have not, have you considered that maybe it has something to do with your ISP and how it handles communication with that and perhaps other specific servers? (which could effect Home and not GT5P)

As for loading trophy info, yes, I've noticed it is a bit faster now.

Last edited:
That's bizarre. Not only is Home loading as fast as ever, I've never experienced any lag in Home, but have experienced it on occasions in GT5P, certainly in full grid online races.

Do you have a video camera... as I'm curious what lag looks like in Home... does it make it look like everyone is moving in slow motion and or stuttering? :odd:

Considering how often you have reported problems with/in Home where others have not, have you considered that maybe it has something to do with your ISP and how it handles communication with that and perhaps other specific servers? (which could effect Home and not GT5P)

Yes my connection sucks, and yes it looks like people are stuttering. When playing pool the balls look like a car in GT5:P, that they can appear suddenly at a different place.

I don't know, but I hope this is urgently fixed. When I realized that the offline friends were sorted by "last time online" and not alphabetically I tried to check the settings available and now, either I get all alphabetically, regardless of status, or it becomes very difficult to quickly find that one PSN friend (that is offline) I want to send a message to.

:grumpy:

I don't know, but I hope this is urgently fixed. When I realized that the offline friends were sorted by "last time online" and not alphabetically I tried to check the settings available and now, either I get all alphabetically, regardless of status, or it becomes very difficult to quickly find that one PSN friend (that is offline) I want to send a message to.

I ran into this situation too. It is definitely a bit aggrevating. I hope they change it to have a hybrid version, like the original verion, but if not I will just adapt.

:confused:

Before the update = offline friends listed alphabetically
After the update = offline friends listed alphabetically (if using the sort alphabetically option)

That said, I like the original hybrid sort option... but having to press the triangle button to switch sorting options isn't exactly difficult.

After the update = offline friends listed alphabetically (if using the sort alphabetically option)

That said, I like the original hybrid sort option... but having to press the triangle button to switch sorting options isn't exactly difficult.

:confused: :confused:

1 - Before the update :

A) Online friends sorted alphabetically and THEN offline friends sorted alphabetically.

Result: All's well, the guys I'm playing with are at the top of the list. The offline guys (in a 90+ friends list) get easily found, just scroll down what you think is enough to find them, even without seeing names, just circles going around because the XMB is still loading names and avatars. You get to them quickly.

B) All friends sorted alphabetically, regardless of status.

Result: a mess. I know this because in Ferrari Challenge, when I want to look for friends to invite to my lobby the game sorts them this way and it's a waste of time. I'm only looking for people online, but I have to scroll/wait/scroll/wait/scroll/wait until I getto the end of the list and I become sure I didn't miss anyone online.

2 - After the Update :

A) Online friends sorted alphabetically THEN Offline friends sorted by the time/date of their last log in.

Result: a mess, as explained in my previous post. If I want to send a PM to a offline friend I still have to do the scroll/wait/scroll/wait/scroll/wait thing ... I can never have an idea about their aproximate position in the list because I have no clue about all my friends last log to PSN.

B) All friends sorted alphabetically, regardless of status

Result: check 1-B above.

But doesn't it also mix in the online friends, placing everyone alphabetically?

Sure it's not difficult, but it is a bit of an annoyance when we have gotten so used to not needing to do it.

Maybe it is just my perspective being a production manager, but workarounds are not a final solution. That said, if I were a manager at Sony overseeing firmware updates this would be added to the "fix when we have time" list, along with things like the controller battery indicator popping up over the time.

Result: a mess. I know this because in Ferrari Challenge, when I want to look for friends to invite to my lobby the game sorts them this way and it's a waste of time. I'm only looking for people online, but I have to scroll/wait/scroll/wait/scroll/wait until I getto the end of the list and I become sure I didn't miss anyone online.

To group all the people in your friends list that are online simply select that sort option. It's truly not difficult, nor challenging, and the effect is the same for online friends list as before.

Result: a mess, as explained in my previous post. If I want to send a PM to a offline friend I still have to do the scroll/wait/scroll/wait/scroll/wait thing ... I can never have an idea about their aproximate position in the list because I have no clue about all my friends last log to PSN.

If you want to send a PM to an offline friend simply sort it alphabetically and scroll down to that name. Who cares if the few people from your list that are currently online are included... you already know the name you are looking for to send them a PM, and your are doing exactly what you had to do before, scroll down to that name in the alphabetical list.

Which leads to this:

But doesn't it also mix in the online friends, placing everyone alphabetically?

Sure... and that makes it very difficult? Challenging? A mess? I'm simply putting it in perspective... as I have clearly said before, I too preferred the original sort.

I just think there some people who have a very different definition of what is very difficult, challenging, and a mess than others.

If they want to complain about it in a public forum then they should also expect others who may not feel the same way as they do to respond.

Sure it's not difficult

Which was the main point I was making. 👍

Have to agree with you there, D_N... it's not that hard to do, infact it is almost impossible for it to be any easier.

Back