Playstation 3 System Update Thread

I guess we might as well update this thread with the arrival of 1.94 on the Ratchet and Clank FTOD game disc, either by starting the game or simply going to system update, then choose the update by media option. The only noticeable change is the addition of "controller settings" on the PS button menu which replaces re-assign controller option and contains a new setting for the forthcoming rumble of the Dualshock 3. If you absolutely must update now then go rent or buy R&C as it's a great game and is currently the only way to get the update.

EDIT: sorry if to get anyone excited :)

good info!

It does not live up to the hype though. No ingame xmb and no support for extra video codecs , though these things are still in the works.
Somewhere a kitten just died.

Seriously, Sony could have stopped that hype when it started so I wouldn't be so down by this news.

It does not live up to the hype though.
This is yet another example of why I do my best not to get excited, or even belive most if not all the user generated hype that gets spread over the internet. Most of the time it isn't accurate and instead just leaves people disappointed thinking they were promised one thing and got something else.

Dunno about you guys but look at the cool theme stuff you can do!!!

theme_en.jpg

tmpphpkh7jdu.jpg

so I'm confused is there a 1.94 update ? because my system is on 1.93 and just checked for updates and there aren't any ....... anybody got a timetable on when the 2.00 is out ? does it come out Japan time midnight or something?

so I'm confused is there a 1.94 update ? because my system is on 1.93 and just checked for updates and there aren't any .......
It's only on the Ratchet and Clank FToD game disc, as mentioned.

Looking forward to the 2.0 update, but it doesn't seem as significant as it should be... Oh well.

G.T
It's only on the Ratchet and Clank FToD game disc, as mentioned.
And 2.0 will cover the stuff from 1.94 as well. So, if you don't get R&C you will still get it.

I have to say that my least favorite part of 2.00 is that the stupid new PSN logo doesn't change with different themes, it looks like crap.

I have to say that my least favorite part of 2.00 is that the stupid new PSN logo doesn't change with different themes, it looks like crap.

if your commenting on the theme(yes without an s) above then thats just one theme notice how other icons look the same .... I'm guessing with themes icons actually would change

Yeah that does look abit rubbish, I hope you can still use the old PSN logo because that new one looks ugly on any theme!

Has anyone been able to get this update yet? Its not on the net via computer for download yet and I haven't tried update through the PS3......

I stand corrected :) , in those pics it really looked like a part of the theme

On the updates subject , I do think Sony is doing a great Job with the XMB giving updates adding just a couple of features at a time. This would allow them to iron out any bugs and problems. And its fun watching the XMB evolve like this :)

yay for 2.00, I'm a little disappointed about the lack of in game XMB but heres hoping for 2.50.

anyone know if besides the pretty themes we will get anything substantial?

anyone know if besides the pretty themes we will get anything substantial?

Remote Start - As hinted by the last PSP firmware update, Remote Play has been enhanced with a brand new feature. Using Remote Start, PSP owners will be able to turn on and access their PS3's content from any wi-fi hotspot. For example, while vacationing, you may find out about an excellent Thursday Store update. You'll be able to turn on your PS3 and start downloading content to your PS3 while you're away. When you're done, you can turn the system off as well.

Information Board - On the upper right-hand corner of the XMB, you'll see a scrolling list of headlines, hand-picked by Sony. Currently, these will all be related to video games and PlayStation. If a specific headline is particularly interesting, PS3 owners will be able to access Information Board from Network and see the content in greater detail. Importing your own RSS feeds is something that's planned for a future firmware upgrade. This feature can be disabled in Settings.

Themes - PSP owners recently got access to the ability to create custom themes for their system. PS3 owners will also get this feature. Not only will you be able to customize your wallpaper, you'll be able to change the icons and fonts used in the XMB. An official theme creator will be available for the PC, so users will be able to create their own and share with their friends. Additionally, new themes will be made available on PlayStation.com and the PLAYSTATION Store. The best user-generated themes will also be featured on the official site.

XMB Color Selector - The background of the XMB is no longer out of your control. The color of the XMB waves background can be selected in Settings.

Music & Photo Playlists - You can now open and create your own playlists from within the XMB. For example, you can create a "Party Mix," which features your favorite songs from your PS3. Playlists cannot be imported from Memory Stick, and music and photo playlists cannot be combined. However, future firmware updates will improve this feature.

Additional Sorting Options - Currently, music can be sorted by Artist and Album on the PS3. Additionally, users will be able to sort by Year.

DualShock 3 support - You'll be able to turn on and off DualShock 3 support from the Settings menu on the XMB.

PLAYSTATION Network XMB group - The PLAYSTATION Network will get its own icon on the XMB, and will be featured between Network and Friends. Within the PLAYSTATION Network, you'll be able to access the PLAYSTATION Store and Account Management. "Other features" will be included in the future, such as Home.

Canon printer support - Additional printers are now supported by the PS3.

Robin

Sony never hyped any of the firmware updates, the internet did. I'm not unhappy since in game friends lists and messaging is up to the developer, some games already support it.

The 2.00 update sounds very promising. Can't wait to download it tomorrow and play around the some stuff. I would've liked a flash player update also for their internet browser and a wider support for different video formats but overall it isn't a bad update.

Does anyone know if it's possible to voice chat privately with people on your friend's list without having to play the same game? Like if I was watching a video and they were in the middle of playing a game or something like that? I don't have enough friends on the PS3 and have never really tried any chatting thing on there so I have no clue what works and what doesn't work.

It's out already? I thought it wouldn't be out until tomorrow? Either way, sweet! I'm going to go download it right now, thanks!

Well Im downloading it now. Go get it.
Thanks for the heads-up, I just downloaded it... very fast download to. Took all of three minutes to download and another two minutes to install.

OK... here is the wacky thing. I checked to see what my usable disc space was on the HDD (still have not switched the 60GB for the new 160GB HDD) and it said I had 5563 MB available before the update. After the update I checked it again, and now it's 5564 MB of available disc space. :odd:

Seems the update freed up a little bit of space on the HDD. :D

BTW: I like having the optional RSS feed, but I don't see why they moved account management and the PS Store icons out of the Network Bar, and into the new dedicated menu bar. Maybe they have additional features coming soon that will be added to this new bar in the XMB? :odd:

OK... here is the wacky thing. I checked to see what my usable disc space was on the HDD (still have not switched the 60GB for the new 160GB HDD) and it said I had 5563 MB available before the update. After the update I checked it again, and now it's 5564 MB of available disc space. :odd:

Seems the update freed up a little bit of space on the HDD. :D
Or ran a quick defrag? Most likely it is just that as they get used to the new systems they are able to make it do things with less storage space being taken up.

BTW: I like having the optional RSS feed, but I don't see why they moved account management and the PS Store icons out of the Network Bar, and into the new dedicated menu bar. Maybe they have additional features coming soon that will be added to this new bar in the XMB? :odd:
I think that is where Home and things like that are supposed to go.

So, can we eventually make the RSS feed pick up AP news feeds, you think? If so then the last feature of my Wii that I still use regularly has just been met.

While this update certainly didnt live up to the user generated hype, I still think it makes the XMB look more user friendly. Its just a little warmer, and more inviting. I really like the information center. Its just a cool idea.

I tried changing the font, but frankly, I'm not seeing any difference between the three choices as shown in the XMB screen... although I'm quite happy with the original, I just wanted to see how the other font choices look.

I didn't try making a message to see if the font change was applied there, so maybe it's just not working for the XMB screen... or when they say "XMB screen" they are not referring to the text displayed in the XMB? If so, what could they mean by XMB screen? :odd:

I went home from work to lunch and left it updating the 2.0, hope it doesn't crash while I'm not there...

from one of the links posted on this thread it said that user would be allowed to create themes , I guess then you could use any font you like

There is an option to install themes. When you click it, it prompts you to insert storage device. That is awesome, I see a lot of user generated themes coming in the future.

Edit: Ok so i went to the ps3 forums at playstation.com and found out what the deal is on these themes. There is a theme creator out that you can download and it allows you to create a theme however you want. So, within a few more days, we should see a lot more people learning how to use the program and making new ones.

Until then, here is a link with four different themes on it. To use them, click on the link, save to your computer. Then, on a USB drive, or other storage device, Create a folder called "PS3". Then, inside that folder make one named "THEME". put the .p3t file that you downloaded from the link in there. Then on the PS3, go to theme settings> install. then simply click the one you want to install, then display it. Very easy, and very cool!!!

http://www.mgillespie.plus.com//PS3themes/

Back