Playstation 3 System Update Thread

any idea where we can find the actual program?

Installing games on the PS3 is already an options ,I've installed PES 2008 and Ninja sigma

nstalling PlayStation®2 format software

You can install PlayStation®2 format software that is compatible with the hard disk on the PS3™ system's hard disk. Availability of software compatible with this feature varies depending on the region. For details, contact the technical support line for your region.
Preparing to install

To use this feature, you must first install [PS2 System Data] on the hard disk. You can download [PS2 System Data] from (PLAYSTATION®Store).

Select (PLAYSTATION®Store) under (PLAYSTATION®Network).
To use (PLAYSTATION®Store), you must create a PLAYSTATION®Network account.

Download [PS2 System Data] from (PLAYSTATION®Store).
Follow the on-screen instructions to download. When the download completes, [PS2 System Data] will automatically be installed. [PS2 System Data] is saved in (Game Data Utility) under (Game).

Close (PLAYSTATION®Store).

PS3 manual

There is an option to install themes. When you click it, it prompts you to insert storage device. That is awesome, I see a lot of user generated themes coming in the future.

Edit: Ok so i went to the ps3 forums at playstation.com and found out what the deal is on these themes. There is a theme creator out that you can download and it allows you to create a theme however you want. So, within a few more days, we should see a lot more people learning how to use the program and making new ones.

Until then, here is a link with four different themes on it. To use them, click on the link, save to your computer. Then, on a USB drive, or other storage device, Create a folder called "PS3". Then, inside that folder make one named "THEME". put the .p3t file that you downloaded from the link in there. Then on the PS3, go to theme settings> install. then simply click the one you want to install, then display it. Very easy, and very cool!!!

http://www.mgillespie.plus.com//PS3themes/
+REP for all the great info and links! 👍

Same here, its on my HDD but no idea how to use it:(
I'm just guessing, as I didn't download it, that you use the theme making program on your PC, then copy the saved theme to a memory card or USB drive following the instructions Sony has already listed and described in the online XMB User's Guide.

Not that DN, but it was about playing PS2 games on the PS3 hdd.
Oh, sorry, I got my topics mixed up. :)

I've never copied a PS2 game to the HDD, although I did download the PS2 System Data some time ago, just never had a cause to copy a game to the HDD. Reading the instructions though it sounds like you have to first partition the HDD for PS2 games, and after installing them, it says the PS2 format software titles are started under the Game menu in the XMB.

It's not for copying and playing PS2 games from the HDD. It's for installing PS2 games that used the hard drive that was available for the PS2.

Updated to 2.00, going back and forth on the XMB seems a bit smoother. Not too excited about anything else, maybe some cool themes will show up soon.

It's not for copying and playing PS2 games from the HDD. It's for installing PS2 games that used the hard drive that was available for the PS2.

That makes more sense because I was just about to run out and borrow all my mates PS2 games that I don't have! :lol:

Updated to 2.0 and everything seems good, its just that ULGY new playstation Network logo that bugging me! Its runied the whole streamlined classyness of the XMB... they could have atleast made it lie under another icon (like it did before under network) if they are doing it for copyright reasons..:grumpy:

By far the fastest update as far as downlaod and install. I like the update its probably the second best one. They have added sorting and grouping for everything.

Music and Photo playlists have been added thank goodness. To me thats a major upgrade also sorting of games is a good option. I'm not bothered by the new logo, guess Sony wants everyone to see it.

Good job Sony it just keeps getting better.

posting from PS3.

^^^Are you using a USB keyboard or are you just extremely gifted? I downloaded the update last night and was checking everything out and I love the ability to change the XMB color. Pretty good update.

Keyboard of course :).

This update is way better than people probably think. You can stream downloadable videos. That feature was not mentioned, also there are some new tips that show up. wonder what else is hiding in there. Drakes demo took about 10 minutes to download, thats crazy for a thursday and a 1.2 gig demo.

May I ask what brand keyboard and mouse you are using? I've been looking to get one but don't know which is compatible or which would work better with the PS3. Thanks!

I totally forgot about Drake's demo being out today. Going to turn it on and start downloading! w00t!

May I ask what brand keyboard and mouse you are using? I've been looking to get one but don't know which is compatible or which would work better with the PS3. Thanks!
I use this keyboard with it. Works wonders:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/1107587/Logitech-Ultra-Flat-Keyboard/Product.html

The update went fine for me. I agree with the RSS feed box being irritating, so I disabled that. I've still got to try out these new themes though - I haven't had the chance to do that yet. But all is good... except with the lack of ingame XMB still!

Thanks G.T.! I'll have to look into that and see if I can find one at a local store or on amazon.com. Seems like the site you linked me to is only for the UK so shipping might be an arm and a leg to the US.

I use a plain Jane keyboard I've always had since ps2 network adapter came out.

I have to add funds to get the GH3 and Motor Storm content. I dont know what rss feeds are.

^^^It's that little bar on the top right that tells you what's going on within the Playstation Network or something like that. It was included with the 2.0 firmware update but it seems like a lot of people don't like it very much. It does stick out like a sore thumb, though.

I've been looking to get one but don't know which is compatible or which would work better with the PS3.
In the first post of the Guides, Suggestions, & Tips on Installing & Using 3rd Party Hardware & OS for the PS3 thread there are a couple links to other threads that might help you out as well:
As far as I know there aren't any USB keyboards (wireless or wired) that cannot be used with the PS3.

I bought Microsoft's wireless USB keyboard (Comfort 1.0A) & mouse (2.0) combo for just $5 total on www.woot.com - and they work great. Everyone kept saying they would go through batteries... well it's been over a year and they are still on their original batteries.

For my HTPC in the theater, I bought the Gyration Ultra GT wireless keyboard and Gyroscopic Mouse, both of which I have also used on the PS3 when it's hooked up in the theater, and they work great with the PS3 as well.

I am thinking about getting the PS3 Wireless ThumbPad from Mad Catz:

14514202764.jpg

I've seen it advertised for under $20, and although not as comfortable as a normal keyboard, the added convenience and future keyboard game support may make it a worth while choice.

I totally forgot about Drake's demo being out today. Going to turn it on and start downloading! w00t!
Not only that, but I didn't realize you can now remote download content from the PS Stores to your PS3 using a PSP in any hot spot around the world. 👍

I really never considered getting a PSP, but the idea of being able to download and even view new content while you are at work or on the road... now that is cool! :)

I wonder if I could also turn a PSP into a Universal remote for my HT gear?

^^^It's that little bar on the top right that tells you what's going on within the Playstation Network or something like that. It was included with the 2.0 firmware update but it seems like a lot of people don't like it very much. It does stick out like a sore thumb, though.
I'd like it. What's really nice though is the actual Information Board in the Network menu of the XMB. This not only gives you better access to more news content, but it also has a feature where you can use the right arrow button on the D-pad to automatically open the browser and jump to the link for the webpage that the story is from for more details and info. 👍

Wow, thanks yet again for another informative post, Digital Nitrate. That thumb pad thing looks very interesting. I'll pick one of those up as well since it's only around $20.

I can't find teh install option or the DS3 options you guys talked about :S

OK I just discovered something I think, in the browser there is a new Bookmark for "Trend Micro" it offers a free web security solution for the PS3

the four themes show above are also now available in the PS store as a very quick download
Good they are quick, less than a minute each for me, but they can't be a background download. It's bad enough that I can't save to my flash drive without a background download, but now themes saving directly to the hard drive won't do it either.

Keyboard of course :).

This update is way better than people probably think. You can stream downloadable videos. That feature was not mentioned, also there are some new tips that show up. wonder what else is hiding in there. Drakes demo took about 10 minutes to download, thats crazy for a thursday and a 1.2 gig demo.
I noticed the streaming of downloading videos. Too bad I almost never get a DL speed fast enough to DL quicker than 1X playing speed.

Good they are quick, less than a minute each for me, but they can't be a background download.
I hadn't noticed that they don't have a background download option as they took only two seconds to download for me.

I noticed the streaming of downloading videos. Too bad I almost never get a DL speed fast enough to DL quicker than 1X playing speed.
That is surprising, especially now when it appears Sony has added a lot more servers just before this last weekly content update, as normally there is a lot of congestion on Thursdays with everyone downloading content, but this time I was maxing out my ISP transfer speed at over 6000 kb/s (45+ MB/m), so downloading the 3 GB of content yesterday was as fast if not slightly faster than downloading content during previous low traffic days. 👍

That is surprising, especially now when it appears Sony has added a lot more servers just before this last weekly content update, as normally there is a lot of congestion on Thursdays with everyone downloading content, but this time I was maxing out my ISP transfer speed at over 6000 kb/s (45+ MB/m), so downloading the 3 GB of content yesterday was as fast if not slightly faster than downloading content during previous low traffic days. 👍

I think they did because now the Middle East has its own PS store , so I'm guessing Middle East has its own server now for updates ...etc

Back