Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
You most defiantly push select to report someone, I had to report at least 15 today in the mall. Apparently several people were staging a protest about whatever and about 90% of the stuff they were saying was either racist, sexiest, or prejudice against a religion. It was seriously like being on 4Chan.
Oh and I find it funny Christmas is blanked out.
IMG_2772.jpg

Thanks for telling me how to report people, I shall have fun now.:mischievous:

Also, the word "Christ" being blanked out is seriously offensive, what were they thinking? It'd be like blanking out the word "black" in case they use it in an uncalled for way. It's simply not on.

Also, the word "Christ" being blanked out is seriously offensive, what were they thinking? It'd be like blanking out the word "black" in case they use it in an uncalled for way. It's simply not on.

I understand why they did it though. I would never type it out but in person when I'm exasperated about something I typically will say "oh for Christ sake". Also in the US at least most songs edited for the radio edit out the god in "god damn". An example of this if Panic! At the Disco's song I Write Sins Not Tragedies in which it says "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a god damn door?" on the radio you would hear "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a *** damn door door?"

It's also to prevent people from getting preachy as well, I mean I could in theory go into Home and promote radical Christianity.

Everyone has the handy safe screen button though. There's just so much you can protect people from before it gets ridiculous. You couldn't even say potato a week ago since it had pot in it. Hello came out as "****o". Think of the children!

Would they start filtering words like "gay" since bigots and ignorant individuals use it as a derogatory word?

As a trial, a co-worker and I were in my studio checking out what we can and can't type. Jesus, Christ, and ass (I was intending the donkey variety :P) were on the naughty list while hell and meth (you can now say 'something'!) were now OK.

I'm sure we all understand what they are trying to do and it is and will continue to get better.

I understand why they did it though. I would never type it out but in person when I'm exasperated about something I typically will say "oh for Christ sake". Also in the US at least most songs edited for the radio edit out the god in "god damn". An example of this if Panic! At the Disco's song I Write Sins Not Tragedies in which it says "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a god damn door?" on the radio you would hear "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a *** damn door door?"

It's also to prevent people from getting preachy as well, I mean I could in theory go into Home and promote radical Christianity.

Yes, I did think about that. I would find it more offensive if everyone on there was typing blasphemous stuff than just seeing the world bleeped out. Still, what an age we live in.............

Everyone has the handy safe screen button though. There's just so much you can protect people from before it gets ridiculous. You couldn't even say potato a week ago since it had pot in it. Hello came out as "****o". Think of the children!

Would they start filtering words like "gay" since bigots and ignorant individuals use it as a derogatory word?

:lol: Funny post, points out some laughable things.:sly: Although I have not once seen the word gay used appropriatelty yet, been called gay many times by complete ****-holes, err, I mean strangers, though. I bet the actual homosexuals see that as extremely offensive, people using the term like that, even if I don't personally support their way of life.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add day/night cycle despite having timezones?

The game should know what time zone you are in since the system has a clock. I don't know how easy or hard it would be to programme something like that though.

I understand why no-one plays with home no more...

Ive had enough, this aint a dating service for cross dresser blah blah....

Chances of a girl is way too high and really dumb, people are so despiteerate, its so stupid...

Moderators of home, try to be more strict with the rules...

I've found the way the other person is dressed is a good hint at their intentions.

Guy in grey sweatshirt, jeans, and dorky glasses? Asshat.
Hillbilly bride? Asshat.
Two guys in business suits trying to look tough? Asshats.
Guy in black wife beater and camo pants? Asshat.
Hooker? Hooker.

They're only hints though; no offense intended to people who dress that way in Home and don't act like asshats. it's just a trend I've noticed in NA Home.

Just don't get too worked up if someone starts spouting a fountain of rubbish about you. They will get bored and walk off. Otherwise, just report them for harassment, block'em, and carry on.

I haven't played it in a week because it has nothing in it at the moment. I got christmas presents, this is just not it at the moment.

I've found the way the other person is dressed is a good hint at their intentions.

Guy in grey sweatshirt, jeans, and dorky glasses? Asshat.
Hillbilly bride? Asshat.
Two guys in business suits trying to look tough? Asshats.
Guy in black wife beater and camo pants? Asshat.
Hooker? Hooker.

They're only hints though; no offense intended to people who dress that way in Home and don't act like asshats. it's just a trend I've noticed in NA Home.

Just don't get too worked up if someone starts spouting a fountain of rubbish about you. They will get bored and walk off. Otherwise, just report them for harassment, block'em, and carry on.

What about guy in Bad Society T-Shirt and red jeans?:sly: (I chose the T-Shirt because of all the n00bs in Home make it a bad society to be a part of LOL)

There are some serious creepers on Home. For kicks I made a chick avatar to see what would happen, I think as soon as I entered the mall I was "hit on" by 3 or 4 dudes. I reported two of them since they some some rather disturbing things. Then I switched back to the avatar that looks like me and went around, people are still throwing around a lot of racial slurs and saying things that probably shouldn't be said. I wish the moderation was better. People are also able to get around the swear filters by spelling words different ways. For instance the word "bitch" shows up as b**** but 'bytch' works just fine.

It's a tricky scenario - by banning people from the PSN (which they can do), it gets rid of morons that also happen to by Sony customers (i.e. they spend money!).

Moderators must have other options available to them besides an outright ban on PSN. Home is a very small area compared to everything else that PSN offers, so it wouldn't make sense.

At the same time, these people are pressing 'X' when the EULA or ToS show up. A stern talking to followed by temporary bans are to be expected.

It's a tricky scenario - by banning people from the PSN (which they can do), it gets rid of morons that also happen to by Sony customers (i.e. they spend money!).

The solution is making clean servers and uncensored servers, where you can get banned from the clean servers but not from Home.

Who would want to go on the uncensored servers in the first place? It sounds like the place to meet all kinds of unsavoury types that your mother wouldn't want you getting chummy with. Or like Second Life with all the fetishists...

It makes more sense to drop the silly filters in the personal spaces. Want to use expletives and run racist or tasteless baby joke competitions without offending someone? Invite'em. Too hot for you? Exit.

Otherwise, what was the point of Home in the first place? It starts to sound more and more like a weird Sony MMOG with the clean and uncensored server distinction. Throw in a few baseball bats and sharp objects, and you've got no-holds-barred tournaments. It reminds me of the ending of that horrible Jet Li movie, The One.

My two Canadian pesos. :)

Last edited:
Excellent. When I enter Home I get an error "There has been a problem with downloading." and that's it. No entering. Well, my logic says that deleting the data and downloading it again would help. But no, now I get a random network error so I guess I'm homeless now.

The solution is making clean servers and uncensored servers, where you can get banned from the clean servers but not from Home.

There would be problems with the games rating and trying to keep younger gamers off the uncensored servers.

Otherwise, what was the point of Home in the first place?)

It's like Facebook/MySpace where you can control your e-self, chat with e-friends, and play e-games.

Excellent. When I enter Home I get an error "There has been a problem with downloading." and that's it. No entering. Well, my logic says that deleting the data and downloading it again would help. But no, now I get a random network error so I guess I'm homeless now.

Same here, I think they have taken down the EU severs for something!! who knows what the powers that be are doing.

Interesting articles on the Home censorship issue.

Kotaku
Home is Where You Can't Say "Hello"?
Anything as deep and complex as PlayStation Home is bound to have its growing pains. SCEA's hometown paper, the San Francisco Chronicle, took a look at some, including some hypersensitive chat filtering.

For a time, seems "hello" was filtered out of chat (I'm assuming this is if a user entered it from a keypad himself, not as a shortcut) because it began with "hell," a no-no in Home (but entirely permissible by the FCC, so, come on ...)

Others also take issue with the blanket supposition that words like "gay," "bisexual" and "lesbian," — not to mention "Christ" and "Jew" are pejoratives, when they can be used to identify interest groups and communities that one reasonably expects would organize in this virtual world. Sony, in all fairness, faces a difficult task (are insult-recognition-heuristics out there?) but says it's working on a solution.

"The key message is it's a beta and it's evolving on a daily basis," SCEA spokesman Patrick Seybold tells the Chron. "We've said early on that user behavior and feedback will shape where we go with Home."

Of course Sony has a global corporate reputation to uphold, and doesn't want Home to dissolve into a cesspool of abuse and invective, but to assume that a word's only purpose is to insult means it'll only be used that way, and people will still find a way despite text filtering. So some loosening here would probably be prudent. I'd prefer to see something that prevents people from sitting down to give me a ******* while I'm waiting my turn at bowling. But then that assumes sitting down can only be a sexual act, so aren't I the hypocrite.

Other complaints involve the cost of microtransactions (especially clothing) and the spontaneous disappearance of some items from their virtual apartments. But market analyst Ted Pollak says Sony deserves some slack, even if other gamers feel that Home's current state falls short of what they expect from a major brand like Sony, even in a beta.

""I have to respect Sony for its Home efforts because it's a fascinating environment and it's very, very complex," Pollak told the Chronicle. "There's no way anyone can come out with a perfect virtual world out of the gate."

Source: http://kotaku.com/5119210/home-is-where-you-cant-say-hello

and

SFGate.com
Sony struggles with creation of its virtual world
Michael Marsh, an 18-year-old gamer from Norwalk, Conn., wanted to set up a gay/straight alliance club in PlayStation Home, Sony's new free 3-D virtual world component for the PlayStation 3.

The problem was that the words he was using - "gay," "lesbian" and "bisexual" - were being filtered from text chats and were not being allowed in the naming of clubs or in postings in club forums. Marsh, who is straight but supports gay rights, said he raised the issue with Home community managers during the private beta test, but the problems persisted after the public beta introduction of Home on Dec. 11.

"I can understand if they're filtering out profanity, but if feel like it's discrimination," Marsh said. "By blocking a word like 'gay,' which is a preferred term by the gay community, you're encouraging it as a bad word."

The censorship issue is just one of a number of glitches and problems that have dogged Home, which was designed as a virtual social community for gamers. Users had trouble getting into the world on the first day and continued to have trouble connecting, prompting Sony to issue a patch aimed to fixing those problems. The fix, however, temporarily suspended voice chat.

But connections haven't been the only issue. Users have taken to Home forums to complain about harassment in the virtual world, with some women and minorities speaking up about racist or sexist comments. Others have complained that the virtual items in Home, like Diesel clothing, are priced too high. And a few have noticed their items have a way of disappearing from their virtual apartments when they're away.

Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesman Patrick Seybold said the company is working to improve Home on a daily basis and is incorporating user concerns and suggestions. He emphasized that while the virtual world is open to the public, it is still being tested and is a work in progress.

"The key message is it's a beta and it's evolving on a daily basis," he said. "We've said early on that user behavior and feedback will shape where we go with Home."

In the case of the censored words, Seybold said, Home employed filters to prevent defamation in Home's closed test version. But when the service went public, he said, it should have started allowing those words. Some other users, however, noticed that the filtering continued, and blocked words like "Christ," "Jew" and even "Hello," which apparently was flagged because it starts with the word "hell." Seybold said the company is looking into the censoring of words in Home's clubs.

Sony has reminded Home visitors about its policy of zero tolerance, which allows users to report abuses in Home to community moderators. And they're actively soliciting feedback.

The long-delayed Home has been a major undertaking for Sony as it tries to build a more robust online community around its PlayStation 3 video game console. The world is not only aimed at fostering more connections between gamers but also represents money-making opportunities for Sony and other brands that want to sell virtual goods.

Ted Pollak, a market analyst at Jon Peddie Research and portfolio manager for the Electronic Entertainment Fund, said users need to be patient with Home, which is bound to have numerous kinks in the beginning. He said it took other virtual worlds and online games like Second Life and World of Warcraft a while to get a handle on problems and address them.

"I have to respect Sony for its Home efforts because it's a fascinating environment and it's very, very complex," Pollak said. "There's no way anyone can come out with a perfect virtual world out of the gate."

Still, users of Home are impatient and want Sony to make the fixes, particularly about the censorship issue.

"It's not enough to say it's a beta," said Kevin Johnson, a 52-year-old retired graphic artist who has been following the issue since he started as a private beta tester. "Sony is major company, and they should have had a good understanding of these issues long ago. And it was brought to their attention before the open beta was launched."

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/27/BU1T14RGRV.DTL&type=tech

===

If you've preordered KillZone 2 from Amazon you should be getting some goodies for Home.

PS3Fanboy.com
Pre-order Killzone 2, get free ISA/Helghast costumes for Home
killzonehomecostum.jpg

There's no better way to prove you're a Killzone 2 fanboy than to don a Killzone costume in PlayStation Home. amazon.com is offering a unique promo for those that pre-order the upcoming FPS on their site. According to the online retailer, players will receive "costume pieces for your head, torso, legs, hands and feet; you can customize your Home avatar to look like an ISA Soldier, a Helghast Assault Trooper, or something in between." This offer is currently an exclusive to the retailer, so you may want to take advantage of this rather unique deal. The patient types, however, will wait and see what other shops are offering for pre-ordering the game.

Source: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/28/pre-order-killzone-2-get-free-isa-helghast-costumes-for-home/

Is there a skin pale enough to build a Hakha in Home? I'm certainly looking forward to game-themed costumes. Especially the Stig! Or any racing suit, for that matter.

Is there a skin pale enough to build a Hakha in Home? I'm certainly looking forward to game-themed costumes. Especially the Stig! Or any racing suit, for that matter.

Yes....racing suit.:D

The Home Race Club is now open, details in the Ferrari Challenge thread, if your a reguar racer and home user just search the club in home and request an invie, all GTp members welcome, but there will be regular race events so if your not that interestead leave the space for those that are
Cheers guys.

Does the Killzone order also apply to UK amazon?... damn they should do it so if you buy the game in the first week or something you can download the home stuff, not where you have to preorder from a set retailer.:grumpy:

Robin

I found an interesting story:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/31/ernst-and-young-microsoft-to-use-home-to-hold-virtual-meetings/

Ernst & Young, Microsoft to use Home to hold virtual meetings
Posted Dec 31st 2008 8:28PM by Andrew Yoon
Filed under: News

PlayStation Home will be host to a few virtual meetings operated by Ernst & Young to reduce carbon emissions. The hope is that a suitable online world will help eliminating the daily need to commute and meet in real-world offices. The project is being led by Dr. Nipan Maniar and Manish Malik from Portsmouth University and includes other participants, like Microsoft and Merill Lynch.

"Audio and video-conferencing solutions have emerged but the use of virtual worlds may offer the next evolution in overcoming the tyranny of distance - a more realistic and learning-enhanced environment," Andrew Mawson, managing director of Advanced Workplace Associates said.

As bloggers, we certainly know the benefits of telecommuting. Who knows? Maybe in the future all of us will be able to work from home and log in to the office using our PlayStations.

what about using other media through home? [Like images, etc]

Edit: As of today I got myself the UK acct, under GTP_suzq044 (and thats a zero not an o); i got it exclusively for HOME, so .. add me!

Last edited:
Back