Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
I cant watch in HD yet, internet isnt fast enough.

That looks really cool! Something to do in the boring home we know right now.

That will bring a bit more interest to Home, it looks great...but I hope you don't have to line up and wait for hours to actually be able to play, like in the bowling alley and arcade machines.

That will bring a bit more interest to Home, it looks great...but I hope you don't have to line up and wait for hours to actually be able to play, like in the bowling alley and arcade machines.

Yeah, that is a bit poor. I know many have said you can walk out and then back into a new server and hope an alley is free then, but thats still sort of unacceptable. I like Home, it like Life With Playstation, has huge potential but lets just hope that they do it properly, sort out these issues and make it something that the console can boost about.

You don't need to line up. The reason you don't see thousands of people in any given space is that they have thousands of servers for each public space in Home. If the server you are in has too many people waiting to play a game, simply leave the space and immediately re-enter. Now you'll be on a different server. I have used this method to rather quickly find an open game, rather than just wait for one to open up.

Also, if you are playing with friends, everyone can use this method, and the first to find an open game can then simply send them a quick PM that they have an open game, and then they can all jump to that server and to their location. 👍

Red Bull Air Race now open worldwide

Home gets its first real piece of content today as the Red Bull Air Race space is now open to all Home users. You can access the area from your world map within your menu pad. Once there you'll see lots of other people standing around a fence, which is where you can begin playing the plane-flying mini-game. There's no leaderboard support yet, but that doesn't stop you shouting about your best time to everyone in the area.

Americans also get their hands on Diesel clothing and Ligne Roset furniture in the Mall from today. Still no sign of any game spaces being released in Europe, but the Red Bull Air Race should give you something to do once you get bored of wandering round the Home Square for the billionth time.

More details and pics were also posted yesterday on the PS Blog:

3176836235_420f370099.jpg

3177671880_794864daa1.jpg

3176836171_dfb1a8ec6d.jpg

3176836285_30313d8a69.jpg

They also just posted info, pic and a trailer for EA's upcoming Sports Complex space in Home:

3179496381_fe60ec94cc.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah great news from EA. But this air race thing...eh...i'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm standing at the fence with everyone else (whom all appear to only speak French!) and nothing seems to be happening, any ideas?

I found that if you wander about a bit, you will eventually find the option to play the race... no idea why it moves about or how to find it reliably, but I found it a few times. It appears as a little bar exactly like the option to check out someone's profile if you are standing next to them... Use L1 and R1 to flip sideways, which you need for some of the gates you fly through...

A bit disappointed with the whole Red Bull thing, seems a bit lame, especially if you have GTA games in your collection...

I'm also getting well and truly hacked off with this PS button bug, which keeps on crashing my PS3. Given that I can't always log straight back into Home because the login is still sketchy, it makes for an irritating experience.

A bit disappointed with the whole Red Bull thing, seems a bit lame, especially if you have GTA games in your collection...
Yet, no one listens to me when I tell them to get High Velocity Bowling if they want a good bowling game.

And if RamRod ever gets their online/trophy patch out in EU then it will be online w/ voice chat capable worldwide as well.

And I am still waiting for a PS3 billiards game. Decent physics, good ball control, and great graphics. Yes, please. Slap it on the PSN and we will be good to go. I am thinking that the guys who made High Stakes Poker would be a good fit, but that is based on the look of the felt on the poker tables.

Seriously, you guys have been playing what is basically Flash versions of bowling and pool for a while now and it took a flying game for you to catch on?

Oddly, I have found the people on my friends list least likely to be in Home are the ones who are most often playing High Velocity Bowling. Coincidence?

Yet, no one listens to me when I tell them to get High Velocity Bowling if they want a good bowling game.

And if RamRod ever gets their online/trophy patch out in EU then it will be online w/ voice chat capable worldwide as well.

And I am still waiting for a PS3 billiards game. Decent physics, good ball control, and great graphics. Yes, please. Slap it on the PSN and we will be good to go. I am thinking that the guys who made High Stakes Poker would be a good fit, but that is based on the look of the felt on the poker tables.

Seriously, you guys have been playing what is basically Flash versions of bowling and pool for a while now and it took a flying game for you to catch on?

Oddly, I have found the people on my friends list least likely to be in Home are the ones who are most often playing High Velocity Bowling. Coincidence?

Not willing to start a row, rather just a discussion. But regardless of graphics or physics I would never buy a bowling game or billiards game when such things are free from Home, which I can play with my friends without expecting them to buy the games also, from the Store at what I'm going to guess is €5 each. I know the physics arent great for any of the games on Home, but you have to admit they are pretty good, and impressive when you take into account everything thats going on around you.

As for Red Bull Air race, what do people see is wrong with it? Its a very clever piece of advertising which is on a par with the type of plane game you could do in GTA San Andreas. Although I think the should make the way you select the game a little easier. Me and PepsiO had some fun trying to figure it out, and thanks to Touring Mars for helping us out with that. 👍

Not willing to start a row, rather just a discussion. But regardless of graphics or physics I would never buy a bowling game or billiards game when such things are free from Home, which I can play with my friends without expecting them to buy the games also, from the Store at what I'm going to guess is €5 each. I know the physics arent great for any of the games on Home, but you have to admit they are pretty good, and impressive when you take into account everything thats going on around you.
I'll admit, had I not played High Velocity Bowling or any of the PS2 pool games I would probably have never noticed that the Home versions weren't very much. I mean, timed button presses on a power meter is how bowling and pool has been done for years. Although timing the angle in bowling is just bad gameplay in my mind.

For free and access for everyone they are pretty good. But my issue with them is the same that TM has with the air race game. If you've played the better versions you won't be that excited about it. I haven't played bowling or pool in Home since it launched. If I can't put a little english on my ball it is not pool. I haven't played pool this simplistic since I played Minnesota Fats on my Commodore 64. I prefer the arcade games, which are still just Flash-style games, but I am honestly not going to find some advance version of Breakout/Block Breaker/pick one. And those games have rewards.

As for Red Bull Air race, what do people see is wrong with it?
I'm curious too, because this and Saucer Pop were more the kind of things I was wanting: 3-D games. Now, where are my RC boats?

On this same note regarding the cost compromise for PSN vs Home games.

High Velocity Bowling - great game, good physics, somewhat complex with details like oil patterns. But more people were willing to jump into the ultra-simplified Home bowling. New people to the PS3 may never even give HVB a look. Lost profits?

And now I have seen a video of the EA Space. It had poker tables that looked very much like the High Stakes Poker table. I am sure it will lack, first-person view, PS Eye support, or even the huge number of game types available in High Stakes, but if someone is just looking for a quick card game they won't even give High Stakes a look. Again, will there be lost profits on the PS Store?

That said, the EA video did show a small racing game, and what appeared to be mini golf. Nice.

OH finally. I will check it later. Sounds alright but according to TM it isnt as good as GTA and even that wasnt fantastic. Im not sure what to expect...

When you talk about lost earnings from the PSN for those games you talk about, are they really Sony's profits or are they other companies? But of course you are right there will be some loss there, but that small loss will almost certainly be canceled out by what I'm guessing is massive rent off Red Bull and EA for their spaces on Home, and of course only for the small amount of free games on Home there wouldnt be as many people there and then Sony wouldnt be able to ask EA or Red Bull for as much money.

Finally me and Genius found out how to work the Red Bull Air Race. A nice simple set of instructions next time please Sony?

And that EA place looks brilliant!

Finally me and Genius found out how to work the Red Bull Air Race. A nice simple set of instructions next time please Sony?

So are you going to keep it a secret or are you going to post a nice simple set of instructions for the rest of us?

:)

When you talk about lost earnings from the PSN for those games you talk about, are they really Sony's profits or are they other companies?
Well, being on PSN Sony is getting some profits, but I do know that High Velocity Bowling is developed by Team RamRod, but produced by Sony Santa Monica Studios (same studio that produces PAIN and makes the God of War games).

And High Stakes on the Vegas Strip is a Sony Online Entertainment game. So, that is a Sony developed and produced game.

And then, even if none of this was Sony's profits it could turn developers off from PSN games and have them just make easier to develop versions in their own game spaces, if they even participate.

I figured it out. You need to be near the planes to start. Then you have to make sure you're not too close to or facing someone else. If you're in just the right spot, then Red Bull Air Race appears at the bottom instead of someone's name. Press X to start. It's arcadey but amusing.

dakka dakka dakka! :lol:

And then, even if none of this was Sony's profits it could turn developers off from PSN games and have them just make easier to develop versions in their own game spaces, if they even participate.

But isnt Home mainly for advertising. If a company has a game in the Store the might want to build a space in Home with a small demo type thing of the actual game that is in the Store, but if the dont have anything for sale in the Store on on Blu-ray or something separate like Red Bull I see no reason why they would get involved in Home, unless they were like the clothing and furniture market in Home although if games do cost money like that in Home you could argue that the PSN Store was actually moving to Home.

@D_N: Well theres no exact way to getting in. Just walk extremely slowly off the wooden decking towards the Red Bull plane and watch out for the Air Race name appear were you would see a persons profile name and click X immediately before it disappears. It does pop up a few other times but we found that to be the most successful way, and yes it is more difficult than it sounds!
Edit: Sorry I was a bit slow writing this and hamstrings beat me to it.

I think I read the controls off the Sony press-release/blog thing about the Red Bull Air Race. Left stick yaws. Right stick accelerates. L1/R1 rolls.

I haven't been able to do a barrel roll nor a loop yet.

edit: I managed a barrel roll with the help of a tree. However, I entered into a stall shortly after and had to bail out near a buoy.

Last edited:
I gave up even trying to access a race, what do you have to do? I assume go up to the airplanes.

No. The barrel roll I did by accident when I collided into a tree. I lost control and crashed into the sea.

If I remember correctly, I got 1:20 or so when I tried to be fast. The hard parts were the ones where you need to be completely vertical. I ended up slowing down for them.

Are your planes visible to spectators? I was practicing my dive-bombing on the spectators in front of the planes.

Joey D, you need to be standing somewhere in the corral in front of the planes. Usually you will see someone else's name at the bottom of the screen, but you can scroll through them with the D-pad. You need it to say "Red Bull Air Race" before you press X.

So this aint in EU home yet?

Im also wondering where saucer pop is... its not like they havent made it yet whats the deal with the waiting! JPN home seems to churn out spaces every other week!

Robin.

Back