Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
Are your planes visible to spectators? I was practicing my dive-bombing on the spectators in front of the planes.

Was wondering that myself actually. I crash into the planes infront of the crowd and when it respawns me again, I can see smoke from where I crashed.

At first I thought the same, that the planes you saw in the sky where people actually flying but then I realised that they are most likely prerendered sequences because they never change path and if it were real people there would be hundreds of aircraft in the sky. Red Bull probably guessed that people would be dive bombing into the crowd so...

The space is ok although they have to sort out how you get into a plane because its hard to not be standing next to someone for the 'red bull air race' thing to appear. The environmental sounds are also poor / non exsistant (apart from the planes). I wish you could fly the heli! :sly:

Another thing, how does this space get away with only being 20 odd MB and stuff like the shopping mall dowload is way larger?

Robin.

Again, will there be lost profits on the PS Store?
I think the small freebies are meant to draw you in. Knowing EA I think the bigger features will require money. ;)

Another thing, how does this space get away with only being 20 odd MB and stuff like the shopping mall dowload is way larger?
Maybe it's reusing stuff from the downloads you already have. :)

But isnt Home mainly for advertising. If a company has a game in the Store the might want to build a space in Home with a small demo type thing of the actual game that is in the Store,
I agree that could work, but the only thing I have seen like this is the Namco Museum thing you have to get in Japan or Hong Kong. And yeah, if that became a full feature set of those games I would buy that based on what we have so far.

That said, full versions of those games are, what, 8KB. A demo of a 250MB game requires the physics engine, graphics, etc. I think that is why so far PSN games have only been advertised via video and posters. Plus, demos of PSN games would begin to add up and eventually fill that reserved 3GB of space fairly quick. Home bowling has nothing in common with HVB, and it is clearly not a demo. Team RamRod has stated that they have absolutely nothing to do with it. So, it is basically Sony competing against their own produced title.

As for the EA space, EA does not have a poker game, that I know of, their mini-golf game is on the Wii, and I'm not sure they have any PSN games. all their games are full-fledged Blu-Ray titles that have such a huge fan following that no mini-game version will be able to touch their sales.

And that is my concern. Nothing in Home is connected to anything on the PSN, yet, but it is keeping people from paying for those games.

but if the dont have anything for sale in the Store on on Blu-ray or something separate like Red Bull I see no reason why they would get involved in Home, unless they were like the clothing and furniture market in Home
Like you said it is about advertising. I guarantee there is someone who will buy Red Bull stuff simply because of their Home support. I mean, Red Bull has nothing to do with racing, but they still advertise on the cars. It is just advertising, and the plane racing game is a hook to get you in and make you stare at their logo. Trust me, if you this Red Bull thing proves popular you will see other non-gaming related companies popping up with their own mini-games.

although if games do cost money like that in Home you could argue that the PSN Store was actually moving to Home.
Won't happen. Not everyone likes Home. It might be available in Home, but like the Namco museum it will also be available from the XMB.

Is there anything other than the air race? And does the game have any kind of loading time before it?

And so far I haven't seen a game in Home that couldn't run off a Web browser.

I haven't checked it out, yet, but based on screenshots I have to say that it does not look too complex.

Air Race did take a while to load after the download was over. I was staring at some boring piles of sand and people for a few minutes before the planes, water, and background suddenly dropped into place.

Air Race did take a while to load after the download was over. I was staring at some boring piles of sand and people for a few minutes before the planes, water, and background suddenly dropped into place.
It is possible that it loads even more assets temporarily for the race game itself then, making the area only 20MB.

Looks like a whole new indoor home square:D. Looks very good despite my low expectations towards EA.

I don't even bother myself with home until the full version. too many teenagers or 10-year old kids running around and being utterly stupid.

Well, you walk around the place where the planes are, you've got to walk slowly and wait for it to pop up at the bottom of the screen.

Or do what it [the announcement] tells you to do, and click on someone then hit the left or right button until you see "Play" at the bottom instead of the other options for user-to-user interaction.

Agree'd you will rarely find me in such approval of EA these days. Its very impressive so far. The progression idea is no doubt a good one, it gives you something to aim for, something home is missing.

Finally got to fly the planes a few times last night. Got my time down to 55.32. I just wished the track was a tad longer.

Finally got to fly the planes a few times last night. Got my time down to 55.32. I just wished the track was a tad longer.

My best time is 1.02.

I don't mind the length of the track but I wish there were more varaitions of it, like a reverse version.

What would help home's popularity lot I think was if the games had some kind of rating system.

The Redbull game is pretty fun being a rather simple and small game, but after a few tryes it gets old. But if there was some kind of way to see your friends times and such it would give it much more longevity.

Also they should add a rating system to the other games, especially chess.

They should add some sort of 2 player mode where you can play with a friend or with another person online in a time trial scenario.... also they should have a bit of the course where you do a loop da loop..... how can you have the red bull air race without that! :crazy:

Robin.

I'm not really a fan of the new Red Bull Air Race, the first time I played it I couldn't actually figure out how to get in to actually play it. This took me 15 minutes before I raced, then when I played it I found it wasn't all that good. It felt very simple especially for something I thought was going to be more complicated. Can't say I'm a fan of it at the moment, I especially don't like how it takes sooo long to actually play the game in the first place.

You can play the red bull air race anytime you want. Although ill admit its a litle stupid the way you have to start it. But ill give a hint...

Goto the area where it start, and look up in the air. Press x, and then press the directional button until you get the Red bull Air race as your target. May take a few tryes but uasely its the easyet way to get started.

I got my time down to ~56s. I'm not enjoying the collision detection on those poles though. I can clearly see that I'm clearing them, but sometimes the warning klaxon goes off and I get docked 3-15 seconds.

You can play the red bull air race anytime you want. Although ill admit its a litle stupid the way you have to start it. But ill give a hint...

Goto the area where it start, and look up in the air. Press x, and then press the directional button until you get the Red bull Air race as your target. May take a few tryes but uasely its the easyet way to get started.

Yes, but I shouldn't have to have some "tip" to get into the game as quick as possible. They should re-think it so then it's easier to get into, then I might be intrested again.

Yes, but I shouldn't have to have some "tip" to get into the game as quick as possible. They should re-think it so then it's easier to get into, then I might be intrested again.

Yeah i agre with you its not made very good. I was just giving a tip for what its worth, to easy the pain for someone who wants to play, but cant figure out how to start it.

Yeah i agre with you its not made very good. I was just giving a tip for what its worth, to easy the pain for someone who wants to play, but cant figure out how to start it.

No offense but this also a good way to get in contact with new people. ( which i'd think is intentional )
I just love it ! 👍

So I tried out the Air Races for the first time last night... also ran into Wallrunner there as well... and must say, I'm impressed with many of your times. 👍 I'll have to give it another try, as after about five attempts, the best time I was able to log was 1'15".

It was also fun just buzzing around and ignoring the gates. You just can't fly too high or it will reset you.

I agree with those that have suggested a multiplayer option. That would make it a lot more fun IMO. 👍

It's those gates that quickly kick up your time. If you're not perfectly vertical and moving right between them, then it penalizes you for "hitting" one. If you can get your penalties down to just three seconds for a few gates, you'll be able to make sub-1 minute. :)

Back