Post a pic of your pet(s)!!

• Thread starter BlackZ28
  • 2,745 comments
It was like day and night with our Miniature Pinscher. He was like a 2 legged pogo stick, jumping around the house all day long. Now he barely ever runs and just sleeps most of the day. We kind of miss the way he was with all his spunk, but since he's not using my sack as a spring board to jump over the couch, I'm happy.

Diego - As long as she leaves the stitches alone, she shouldn't need a cone. We had to put a cone on our Doberman when we had her ears done (9 weeks old) and it was an endless source of hilarity, especially when they try to eat/drink and walk through tight spaces that they once fit through.

Love everyones pets 👍

The push toward de-sexing as the "responsible" thing to do is seen only in some countries, Australia, the USA, and thats probably about it. Not sure what the british isles are doing. But the rest of the world, and particularly most of Europe, the majority are against desexing unless it is for medical reasons. They have the view that it is barbaric and unneccessary.

Pays to have some perspective on the subject because sometimes its hard to see through all the arguments registered breeders and welfare orgs put forward which most of us know "dont quite add up", but many accept them anyway.

Heres my girl

SDC10038.jpg

Beautifull Dog Calsonick, but please get rid of the chokechain and use a normal leather collar instead ;) Makes the life of your girl even better :D

Those chains do much more harm than one may thinks!

My girlfriend wants to have our dog neutered because people say this calms down very active dogs, which is his case, but I'm against it for now.

If you don't breed have your dog neutered. It's really nonsense that the dogs gets less aktiv. Due to the change in hormones the dog burns less energy and needs less food. I have 3 neutered dogs all very energetic at the age of 4 5 and 6.

Neutering takes away the sharp edges of hormonal behaviour, often reduces aggression. Because of the less/non excisting sexdrive neuterd dogs often become more social to males and female dogs.

Mostly the training methods and attributes are the cause for behaviourproblems! Methods used with force and pain cause loads of problems. Methods using positive reinforcement and simultanious negative reinformement (choke chains / gentle leaders / shockcollars) are also very dangerous. Dogs recieves reward en punishment for the same behaviour. That kind of stuff would confuse the hell out of me ;)

Problems often seen by those methods, these dogs develop a hate for other dogs, some men, other animals, aggression towards children, aggression towards the owner. Can get hyperaktiv, start mutulating themselves etc etc

Oh and most of Europe is for neutering! Mostly it is the "Boys" wo have a problem with it. All those masculine cultures to ;) We people breed and breed and breed with our dogs. If they want to get the dog population/breeds healthy again. arround 250 breeds have to disappear because the issues concerning health. (Gene Study by Gencouns).

The massive problems of Straydogs, the Greyhound Industry, Disposal of Galgo Espanols in Spain, Fighting Dogs, Dog Markets and Puppy Farms, Breeders for a Quick Buck etc all add up to those problems we are facing. We don't need more dogs that can be put to sleep every month. We don't need more puppies that go to shelters after 1 year because they cause problems. We don't need more suffering to certain breeds because we people think it comes with the breed. When do they finally wake up! Those problems we have with our dog population are caused by men and its about time people take responsabillity for their actions and not reflect their problems onto the dogs!

Last edited:
If you don't breed have your dog neutered. It's really nonsense that the dogs gets less aktiv. Due to the change in hormones the dog burns less energy and needs less food. I have 3 neutered dogs all very energetic at the age of 4 5 and 6.

Neutering takes away the sharp edges of hormonal behaviour, often reduces aggression. Because of the less/non excisting sexdrive neuterd dogs often become more social to males and female dogs.

Mostly the training methods and attributes are the cause for behaviourproblems! Methods used with force and pain cause loads of problems. Methods using positive reinforcement and simultanious negative reinformement (choke chains / gentle leaders / shockcollars) are also very dangerous. Dogs recieves reward en punishment for the same behaviour. That kind of stuff would confuse the hell out of me ;)

Problems often seen by those methods, these dogs develop a hate for other dogs, some men, other animals, aggression towards children, aggression towards the owner. Can get hyperaktiv, start mutulating themselves etc etc

Oh and most of Europe is for neutering! Mostly it is the "Boys" wo have a problem with it. All those masculine cultures to ;) We people breed and breed and breed with our dogs. If they want to get the dog population/breeds healthy again. arround 250 breeds have to disappear because the issues concerning health. (Gene Study by Gencouns).

The massive problems of Straydogs, the Greyhound Industry, Disposal of Galgo Espanols in Spain, Fighting Dogs, Dog Markets and Puppy Farms, Breeders for a Quick Buck etc all add up to those problems we are facing. We don't need more dogs that can be put to sleep every month. We don't need more puppies that go to shelters after 1 year because they cause problems. We don't need more suffering to certain breeds because we people think it comes with the breed. When do they finally wake up! Those problems we have with our dog population are caused by men and its about time people take responsabillity for their actions and not reflect their problems onto the dogs!

Good points. Also, its smart to add that negative reinforcement devices (shock collars especially) only work when the dog is wearing it, and many owners find themselves having to keep it on the dog at all times in order for behaviors to stay away as the dog learns that the pain only happens when he's wearing the collar. We find a lot of dogs at the dog park running around with bark collars on with no batteries installed simply because the owner can't take them off without the dog going back to its crazy state.

So Mishka has been officially spayed... she's currently in the process of healing her wound and has been a bit agressive, but mostly because the other dog in the house is annoying as hell and she isn't very patient due to her healing process, me thinks.

It's been about 9 days since her surgery and I have to treat her wound twice per day, which isn't such a big deal. The first few days she jumped whenever I touched her wound, but now she's cool about it. The doctor told me she'd probably lick the wound, but (as SRV2LOW4ME said) as long as she doesn't pick away the stitches, it's all good, which she hasn't done. Doctor also told me that exactly after I dress her wound I should stay petting her for about 10 minutes, so the betadine disinfectant can work a bit.

Other than that, I should be taking her in saturday morning to remove the stitches and I guess I should keep on treating the wound. She's doing perfectly alright, tbh. A bit cold at times since she's used to having so much hair and her belly is almost bald because of the surgery shaving. Though nothing that ca't be remedied by massive petting.

So Mishka has been officially spayed... she's currently in the process of healing her wound and has been a bit agressive, but mostly because the other dog in the house is annoying as hell and she isn't very patient due to her healing process, me thinks.

It's been about 9 days since her surgery and I have to treat her wound twice per day, which isn't such a big deal. The first few days she jumped whenever I touched her wound, but now she's cool about it. The doctor told me she'd probably lick the wound, but (as SRV2LOW4ME said) as long as she doesn't pick away the stitches, it's all good, which she hasn't done. Doctor also told me that exactly after I dress her wound I should stay petting her for about 10 minutes, so the betadine disinfectant can work a bit.

Other than that, I should be taking her in saturday morning to remove the stitches and I guess I should keep on treating the wound. She's doing perfectly alright, tbh. A bit cold at times since she's used to having so much hair and her belly is almost bald because of the surgery shaving. Though nothing that ca't be remedied by massive petting.

Sounds like she's on to a quick recovery which is always good to hear. The other dog may also be taking the opportunitity to become the more dominant one during her time of healing as she knows that somethings not the same with her health wise. Just keep an eye on the two of them just in case and everything should hopefully go back to normal afterwards. Keep us updated, I'm interested in how this turns out. 👍

Beautiful dog, GT Pro. 👍

What race is that? Looks somewhat like a Husky.

Thanks. You should have seen him when we picked him up from the RSPCA shelter (where we like to get all our animals) years ago. He is a Siberian Husky crossed with who-knows-what.

Thanks. You should have seen him when we picked him up from the RSPCA shelter (where we like to get all our animals) years ago. He is a Siberian Husky crossed with who-knows-what.

Looks like a Husky / Sheepdog cross to me. Our RSPCA dog is probably a Fox Terrier, but he's a bit bigger built than Fox Terriers tend to be so it's likely he's a cross or has some cross in him somewhere in his heritage. Crossed with what we don't know. Seems like he's crossed with a Tasmanian Devil some days :rolleyes:

Sounds like she's on to a quick recovery which is always good to hear. The other dog may also be taking the opportunitity to become the more dominant one during her time of healing as she knows that somethings not the same with her health wise. Just keep an eye on the two of them just in case and everything should hopefully go back to normal afterwards. Keep us updated, I'm interested in how this turns out. 👍

I'll know soon enough. Should've taken pics of her wound or something. I'll try and do so on saturday.

Thankyou for the compliment on my dog doblocruiser.

Your right its best not to leave the choker on her all the time, but it is ideal on walks. It pays to remember that any training method is harmful if performed incorrectly, but this doesnt mean we should condemn these methods it means we should be educating on thier correct use.

A choker used properly is a valuable training tool, as are many methods of correction. Blaming some of the far fetched scenarios you have described on choker chains is absolutely rediculous.

Neutering is what some cultures do because they are quick fix knee jerk cultures not prepared to confront the problem at its core.

The problem is with the owners not with the dogs. Its peoples attitudes which are the problem. People who are going to breed are going to breed. People who would not breed anyway are the only ones who would get thier pets desexed after having been brainwashed by the propaganda.

And no most of Europe is not pro neutering.

Dear Calsonick,

A choker used properly is a valuable training tool, as are many methods of correction. Blaming some of the far fetched scenarios you have described on choker chains is absolutely rediculous.

It's absolutely not far fetched. I've seen many many dogs being trained with those collars and the correction stuff. All dogs develope commonly the same behaviour. The problem is that the chokechain is also used when the dogs shows aggression out of fear. Punish a dog when he/she is in fear? :grumpy: The human should be the person the dog can depend on, not the one who is the bringer of pain.

The problem is with the owners not with the dogs
So why punish the dog?

How can a dog be punished for unwanted behaviour if the dog hasn't learned what the correct behaviour is. Correct behaviour isn't learned with tools used for correction/punishment. The only behaviour the dog learns is to avoid specific actions that cause pain. It actually only learns an association with pain and the one who is causing the pain, namely the owner.

Example: If you put a book infront of a child that cannot read and tell her/him to read it. The child doesn't understand what "read" is, so you hit him/her. Does it actually learn what to do from this situation, does it learn something that we want from the child? No! The only thing learned by the child is that the book together with the parent cause misery. That's how it works with our dogs to.

It definitely affects your relation with the dog!

All those correction attributes are to make life easy for people but fail to provide this for our dogs.

Still love your dog though ;)

Last edited:
Doblocruiser, thankyou for you perspective, unfortunatly again I have to say I disagree.

Corrections are not punishments, they are only harmful in the wrong hands as with most things. You will find that the most highly trained, stable and even tempered dogs, such as those used by police and military, have corrections firmly incorporated in thier training, cannot get any better testament to the techniques than that.

It's absolutely not far fetched. I've seen many many dogs being trained with those collars and the correction stuff. All dogs develope commonly the same behaviour. The problem is that the chokechain is also used when the dogs shows aggression out of fear. Punish a dog when he/she is in fear? :grumpy: The human should be the person the dog can depend on, not the one who is the bringer of pain.

Some dogs are naturally aggressive. Or unnecessarily defensive of their owners. The chain is mostly useful for teach a dog to not run when on a leash. They'll figure out they can't charge off with it on. The dog learns what actions are allowed and are not.

So why punish the dog?

How can a dog be punished for unwanted behaviour if the dog hasn't learned what the correct behaviour is. Correct behaviour isn't learned with tools used for correction/punishment. The only behaviour the dog learns is to avoid specific actions that cause pain. It actually only learns an association with pain and the one who is causing the pain, namely the owner.

Generally, you learn what the correct behavior is from somehow being told what is correct and incorrect. Some kids don't learn despite all their parents' warnings about how hot the stove gets. They don't really know till they burn themselves.

Example: If you put a book infront of a child that cannot read and tell her/him to read it. The child doesn't understand what "read" is, so you hit him/her. Does it actually learn what to do from this situation, does it learn something that we want from the child? No! The only thing learned by the child is that the book together with the parent cause misery. That's how it works with our dogs to.

There is a bit of a probably with this analogy. Mostly in that telling something to do something they can not do, and then punishing them. A more accurate one would be smacking a child's hand that keeps reaching for the cookie jar.

It definitely affects your relation with the dog!

All those correction attributes are to make life easy for people but fail to provide this for our dogs.

Dogs aren't people. They are your pets, they should accommodate you, with in reason.

What is more critical is to have both positive and negative reinforcements. Reward when something is done right initially. And reprimand if something is unacceptable.

What is more critical is to have both positive and negative reinforcements. Reward when something is done right initially. And reprimand if something is unacceptable.

Ahh, good ol' operant conditioning. Works a treat in dog training.

New camera to play with + lots of old camera equipment to go with it + Indy =

aiebanditos.jpg

I'm certainly not "brainwashed".

We chose to have Indy spayed because we don't wish to breed from her. Spaying stops her having bi-annual seasons (so, no mess and no winding up local male dogs), spaying also dramatically reduces the risk of her contracting mammary tumours in later life. We had her spayed after one season (which is the advised method). In the UK, the charge for spaying is no different whether the dog has ever been in season or not!

There are too many "accidental" matings and far too many dogs in rescues in the UK. I don't want to become a statistic and there are not enough reasons to keep Indy entire.

It's been a while since I posted here:

4223099744_61b025588b.jpg

Nevis in the back garden during this winter's atrocious snow.

4222336923_4e5de662fa.jpg

Nevis on Christmas Day

3840251062_9c06b43db4.jpg

Nevis after a day's hiking

3832840553_ecffb5ae34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautifull Dog Calsonick, but please get rid of the chokechain and use a normal leather collar instead ;) Makes the life of your girl even better :D

Those chains do much more harm than one may thinks!

Until you have a dog that will just slip any "normal" collar and go for a run.

My aunt and uncle had a Labrador they had to use a choker on because she would simply slip any normal collar when out on the dog run. I reckon there were no negative effects from it.

TB
The other alternative is a harness. One of my dogs needed one and it worked great.
Yeah, my mate has a very strong black female dog and he uses a harness to walk it and it is sooo effective I couldnt believe it.

Anyway, breaking the dog chain a picture of my cat 2 hours ago. He had been there for maybe 6 hours.

feqb87.jpg

It's been a while since I posted here:

4223099744_61b025588b.jpg

Nevis in the back garden during this winter's atrocious snow.

4222336923_4e5de662fa.jpg

Nevis on Christmas Day

3840251062_9c06b43db4.jpg

Nevis after a day's hiking

3832840553_ecffb5ae34.jpg

A friend of mine has one just like it! Great dog and one of the smartest i ever saw:tup:!

But a bit younger it seems! Snoopy has 2 years old! Oh yeah its pure! Came to Portugal from Scotland and cost around 1000 euros:crazy:! Never liked small dogs but after knowing this one im thinking of buying one :D!

Attachments

• 24102009208.jpg
    24102009208.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back