Prize cars?

On the converse, imagine a Gran Turismo that has a terrible prize car system with no surprises, uniqueness or any excitement whatsoever...oh wait that already happened, and you can literally find pages of threads complaining about this particular mechanic; the GT5 forum is your oyster.

In fact, I just looked. Not only is the above statement not true, but the biggest thread about the topic back in the GT5 days was one you made to complain about GT5's system; which was ultimately locked after you started pulling the same behavior as you have been here when you didn't get the consensus you desired. And the second biggest was a different one you made, which was locked because you had already made the first one. Or this third one. Or this fourth one. Or this fifth one. Or this sixth one. Or this seventh one. Or this eighth one. Or this ninth one.

Last edited:
Whilst I certainly see the point you guys are making I do wonder what enjoyment you got out of the first four games with no online.

I totally agree, there should be more cars that you have to unlock in career mode, and cars that you can't just purchase when you have enough credits. And the higher or more difficult the race, the more exclusive the car should be. So when you see somebody with that car online, you know he worked for it, and did not just buy it.

Whilst I certainly see the point you guys are making I do wonder what enjoyment you got out of the first four games with no online.

I played lots of FPSs, Simcity(s), C&C Red Alert and other games on my PC. I would pull out the wheel every once in awhile and play GT4.

Then in November 2009 Sony lowered the price of the PS3 to a reasonable $299. I bought the PS3, GT5p, discovered online racing and I have never looked back. Nearly all of my PC gaming stopped that day.

Before online, Gran Turismo was just another game with crappy AI.

Online and prizes are separate issues. Making everything available from day 1 would make single player more appealing as well.

As for what I did in GT1-4, most of the fun came after having all the cars and then just doing what I wanted. Some split screen occasionally too. But as Chrunch said, things changed with online. If GT went back to being offline only. I'd probably never play it again, barring massive changes.

Then in November 2009 Sony lowered the price of the PS3 to a reasonable $299. I bought the PS3, GT5p, discovered online racing and I have never looked back. Nearly all of my PC gaming stopped that day.

Oddly, I got GT5 and lost all interest in the series because of it was handled, and now almost exclusively game on my PC.

Oddly, I got GT5 and lost all interest in the series because of it was handled, and now almost exclusively game on my PC.

I never came here or any other GT forum so I never had any expectations about GT5. I was surprised later when I came here looking for tuning advice and saw all the hate for the game.

Grinding? Since when is running a race in a racing game considering grinding? I can understand not wanting to run the same race over and over and over but that is not the case here. To win the cars you simply need to win the races 1 time each.

What is the point of buying a racing game if you don't want to race?

Racing the AI is an incredible grind.

Online is where it's at for me now. I didn't even come close to finishing any A or Bspec. Now that Pandora's Box is open it can't be closed.

Racing the AI is an incredible grind.
I suppose it is if you don't try to make a race of it. I find that if you drive the right car with the right tires it can be quite entertaining. If however you just go into the race with a very fast car and RS tires then yes it is pretty boring.

One of the most fun racing an event was at Sunday Race on GT5, pick various slow car with similar PP -stock and maybe 10 or 20 less PP than AI using power limiter, put 1 or 2 tire grade lower, then just race to win ( clean, no contact ). Sometimes I only got 2nd or 3rd, but it sure fun.

Prize cars should be random from similar PP or price range and can be won again and again, and to avoid credit farming, prize cars cannot be sold, but can be traded in for similar value tuning parts :D

What if there were two "Online" modes, one free mode like we have right now where you set up your own races and wotnot and a matchmaking race mode based "A-spec" where you earn money and prize cars (but instead of basing it on wins per se maybe you accumulate points to "complete an event", since winning online isn't as easy as offline).

Instead of having to slog through the boring offline modes, racing the the Artificial "Intelligence", you can use some kind of online matchmaking system to run the Sunday Cup, DTM Cup, Old School American Muscle, K-Car Cup, and whatever events we got in GT6 online with real people and build up your credits / cars like that.

Actually that doesn't sound like a half bad idea now I think about it, a sort of "instant online race" matchmaking system based on A-spec events with money and prizes! Though I guess it doesn't solve the problem of folks wanting everything available all at once from the get-go but it might make some kind of progression based game mode more fun if it can be done both online and offline.

I suppose it is if you don't try to make a race of it. I find that if you drive the right car with the right tires it can be quite entertaining. If however you just go into the race with a very fast car and RS tires then yes it is pretty boring.

It's boring period.

Actually that doesn't sound like a half bad idea now I think about it, a sort of "instant online race" matchmaking system based on A-spec events with money and prizes! Though I guess it doesn't solve the problem of folks wanting everything available all at once from the get-go but it might make some kind of progression based game mode more fun if it can be done both online and offline.
There is no point in trying to make people who don't want to progress have to progress.

It's not entertaining for me regardless of the tire/car choice. It's all artificial. No one is in the other car. If I lose it's not because someone outdrove me, it's because I didn't have enough power and/or grip to meet the time trial target. It's basically a time trial with moving road blocks. I'd rather spend my time racing real people or tuning cars. I don't have many people on my friend's list that are looking forward to anything offline with GT6.

I'll be really surprised if GT6 changes any career reward system too much. It's been the bread and butter of GT since forever.

I was just thinking about the "joy" of starting GT6 with a 20K Standard car and grinding Sunday Cup, KCar, etc... in order to get competitive cars to race online with. For folks who only want to race online it's going to rough starting a whole new garage from scratch.

I'll be really surprised if GT6 changes any career reward system too much. It's been the bread and butter of GT since forever.

I was just thinking about the "joy" of starting GT6 with a 20K Standard car and grinding Sunday Cup, KCar, etc... in order to get competitive cars to race online with. For folks who only want to race online it's going to rough starting a whole new garage from scratch.

I'm hoping the high payout seasonals are available from the beginning.:nervous:

This is what I don't get, how can you get enjoyment doing the same thing game after game? I'm not someone who wants online only, I do want a single player game to enjoy, but I won't be buying GT6 if A-Spec is the same events and setup as the last five games have been.

There are only so many times I can do a 0-400m braking test, drive Japanese boxes at Autumn ring in the Sunday cup and so on.

It would be nice to see it switched up a bit in A-Spec mode.

Prize cars are important to A-Spec though. I suppose they could make it to where you can buy any of the cars and still have them as prize cars. That would still give us some incentive to run the A-Spec races and would allow those who don't want to to get the cars they want once they have earned enough money.

Did they ever increase the online payout again after the first 6 months or so? I seem to remember it either being very low or non existent at first and then bumped up a bit but still a bit low to really earn much in the way of credits from online racing.

As for the seasonal events it would be nice to see a few as a day one thing and if not then add them after the first week.

I'm sure I will enjoy the game however they decide to do it as I have enjoyed all the others I have played including GT5

For some, the real fun is in the driving, not about which car or which track, with real people or AI, is all about driving the car to the best of my abilities. This is why I often spent 4 to 6 hours at a time, driving at times only 2 or 3 cars around 1 or 2 tracks, sometimes stock, sometimes tuning involved, and appreciate each car's shortcomings and uniqueness.

Going lap after lap, trying to tackle every corners consistently and shave time at the same time, fellow Deadnutters would know I spent hours and hours in the DNE lounge tuning wide variety cars, from easy to drive to hell on wheels like CTR, V16T, etc. I would often spent 10 to 20 laps on 1 car, achieving target time over and over again until the car felt perfect. This is the reason I played all GT for 15 years, and I will go on.

For me, both offline or online left a lot to be desired in GT5. Offline was lacking because of the short and poorly thought out career mode and the AI general, specifically the "chase the rabbit" format used in seasonals. Online was lacking simply because it was so difficult to find a room I wanted. When I did find something I wanted, sure, racing was a blast, but it did not happen often at all. A lot of the time, I felt I could be playing something else and actually having fun instead of wasting my time searching for rooms and waiting for hosts to begin the race. I have my fingers crossed that matchmaking similar to GT5P will be added in GT6.

If neither of these areas are improved, then I don't see myself spending a lot of time with GT6. But I'm optimistic things will change for the better.

There is no point in trying to make people who don't want to progress have to progress.

Hence why I said "Though I guess it doesn't solve the problem of folks wanting everything available all at once from the get-go", meaning that while it might be an interesting mechanic for online play it won't help those that care naught for any form of progression and simply want everything handed to them at the start.

I'm sure I've said in this thread and others that it would be nice if PD could include some form of sandbox mode or "Give it to me now" button to bypass all the progression requirements and to satisfy those that want that. I do try to see both sides of the discussion when I can.

I guess there's equally no point in trying to make people who enjoy progression see the purpose of a game without any though?

Rather than a button to bypass progression would be more suitable to have a "Cheat" to do that for those who can not be bothered to play the game the way it was meant to be played ;)

I think this "problem" only presented itself now that we actually have online racing. Some people care mostly about online racing and some mainly want to go through GT Life completing every event.

The problem with exclusive content (i.e. prize cars from GT Life) is that you can't use it online unless you jump through hoops that don't necessarily interest you. Basically, online mode is only 50% functional, if you can't get the cars you need for organizing certain events. That's the problem with exclusive prize cars, and that's a problem with the UCD as well, if a certain car you need only turns up every couple of hundred game days.

Neither online- nor GT Life-type racers are better than the others and both should be able to enjoy the game to its fullest without not being able to access certain cars. That's why I would support a) a dealership where all cars are available all the time, and b) if the GT Life-aficionados need some reward for completing certain events, let them have something like cars in exclusive colours. That way nobody loses out.

I think this "problem" only presented itself now that we actually have online racing. Some people care mostly about online racing and some mainly want to go through GT Life completing every event.

The problem with exclusive content (i.e. prize cars from GT Life) is that you can't use it online unless you jump through hoops that don't necessarily interest you. Basically, online mode is only 50% functional, if you can't get the cars you need for organizing certain events. That's the problem with exclusive prize cars, and that's a problem with the UCD as well, if a certain car you need only turns up every couple of hundred game days.

Neither online- nor GT Life-type racers are better than the others and both should be able to enjoy the game to its fullest without not being able to access certain cars. That's why I would support a) a dealership where all cars are available all the time, and b) if the GT Life-aficionados need some reward for completing certain events, let them have something like cars in exclusive colours. That way nobody loses out.

This.

Make prizes aesthetic instead of functional. Different colours (gold/silver/mattes/carbon), special liveries, special rims, whatever. Just don't make it so that people have to grind 40 levels and a 24 hour endurance to drive the car they want to.

Considering that only a few if any cars where only available as prizes and that there are over 1000 cars I do not know how you would get that it was only 50% functional if some of the cars were only available as a prize or even if 200 of them were only available as a prize that would still leave 1000 cars to choose from which is more than any other game out there so I think that is a very exaggerated point.

I do hope they do away with the level requirement to buy cars and if they do not then maybe allow online racing to add to the level as well as offline racing but then with the seasonal events it is pretty easy to get enough level to buy any car you want and since you need lots of money to buy most of the high end cars most people would indeed run at least some of the seasonal events.

I do hope they do away with the level requirement to buy cars and if they do not then maybe allow online racing to add to the level as well as offline racing but then with the seasonal events it is pretty easy to get enough level to buy any car you want and since you need lots of money to buy most of the high end cars most people would indeed run at least some of the seasonal events.

You're assuming the Seasonal Events with high payouts will be there from the beginning. I'm still holding my breath on that one:scared: I wouldn't be surprised if it was a few weeks before we saw them.

You're assuming the Seasonal Events with high payouts will be there from the beginning. I'm still holding my breath on that one:scared: I wouldn't be surprised if it was a few weeks before we saw them.
Yes I am assuming that either there are a few of these or something similar.

If they are not there then either the pay out on online races will need to be higher or else you would still need to run A-Spec and/or special events to get the money to buy the cars even if they are all available from the start.

Of course if there are prize cars in A-Spec then you can get more cars quicker since some of them will be free and you will be earning money to buy others at the same time.

Gran Turismo is a video game first and foremost, and nearly all video games involve competing against the AI in races/battles/etc. in order to progress at first.

Getting rid of that/creating a massive shortcut would be damaging because so many people play it to complete online mode for the sense of accomplishment, and that sense of accomplishment is taken away if there's a shortcut you can take. Most people still like games to have offline objectives, I don't think we're past that stage yet.

Gran Turismo is a video game first and foremost, and nearly all video games involve competing against the AI in races/battles/etc. in order to progress at first.

Getting rid of that/creating a massive shortcut would be damaging because so many people play it to complete online mode for the sense of accomplishment, and that sense of accomplishment is taken away if there's a shortcut you can take. Most people still like games to have offline objectives, I don't think we're past that stage yet.

What about the multitude of players who get no sense of accomplishment from beating the AI? Who is damaged by giving everyone options to play the game in a way that gives each of them maximum enjoyment?

For some, the real fun is in the driving, not about which car or which track, with real people or AI, is all about driving the car to the best of my abilities. This is why I often spent 4 to 6 hours at a time, driving at times only 2 or 3 cars around 1 or 2 tracks, sometimes stock, sometimes tuning involved, and appreciate each car's shortcomings and uniqueness.

Going lap after lap, trying to tackle every corners consistently and shave time at the same time, fellow Deadnutters would know I spent hours and hours in the DNE lounge tuning wide variety cars, from easy to drive to hell on wheels like CTR, V16T, etc. I would often spent 10 to 20 laps on 1 car, achieving target time over and over again until the car felt perfect. This is the reason I played all GT for 15 years, and I will go on.

Well spoken.

Latest Posts

Back