Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,203 comments
pcars2.png

What a lovely sight.

So last night I won a copy of the Project Cars 2 Collectors Edition thanks to IGN Au and Bandai Namco.

Basically I entered a competition on IGN to win the chance to play pCars2 before release. It was happening at RaceCentre in Sydney - they use PCs, triple monitors, G29s and multi-axis seats that react to in game motion.

I won a double pass so I took my brother to the event. When we got there we found out there was a bit of a time trial competition planned for the evening. There were 3 rounds in total:
  • a qualifying round for the 40 people people at the event - 25 min to set your best time in a mclaren 720s at Bannochbrae
  • round of 16 - 20 min to set your best time in the FG Falcon at Bathurst
  • round of 8 - 15 min to set your best time in a Honda Indycar at Long Beach.

Everyone who competed in the first round got a t-shirt. Those in the second round got a key ring. Those in the final round had a chance to win the collectors edition for the fastest time, 2nd and 3rd won a review copy of the game.

Managed to come 3rd in the first round (2:21.7xx) - my brother was 1st. 4th in the second round (2:10.5xx) - my brother was 2nd. 1st in the final round (1:09.244) - my brother was 2nd.

So we managed to grab the game a couple days before release.

Big thanks to IGN and BN!

My 2 cents on the game:
  • Live track 3.0 is seriously impressive. The way the water pools on the track and how the puddles remain as it dries is just something I’ve never experienced on a game before. It floored me when I first came across it.
  • Tyre feel is greatly improved. Much easier to predict how the car will react. It feels planted at the right points and also loose when you give it too much.
  • The IndyCars are something else to drive with when you have the game on authentic settings. Feeling every bump of of Long Beach and managing the braking was a good challenge but great fun. I could have gladly stayed hot lapping that circuit all night.
I only managed a short amount of time on the game in total, but from what I could see its definitely worthy of the praise its been getting in the media. I may be able to answer a couple general questions if anyone has any. Unfortunately I am at work all day so any responses will be based on my experience last night.

IMG-4703.JPG IMG-4704.JPG IMG-4705.JPG IMG-4706.JPG

Damn, wish I'd known, I would have flown to Sydney and taken part :D. Congrats on the prize, I can't wait to get my Collector's Edition later this week (should be arriving on release day).

I've run a 2m03.5s in the Ford Falcon at Bathurst in pCARS2 (my first lap was 2m06 IIRC) and a 1m05.9s lap in the Indycar at Long Beach. However, those were from the comfort of my own home and I know from past experience that driving on unfamiliar equipment usually adds a second or two to my times.

By the way, 1m09.244 is a really respectable time for the Indycar at LB as a first timer on it, massive kudos for that :)

The way the water pools on the track and how the puddles remain as it dries is just something I’ve never experienced on a game before.
I remember that there was supposed to be a drying line appearing as the track dries; however, I haven't seen a single video where said drying line was visible. Puddles and dry track, yes, but no dry line.
Will be interesting to see if that was marketing talk or if it really exists, because that's the thing I've been looking for since Codemasters thought they didn't need it after implementing it well into F1 2012.

So spent the evening playing the Xbox One version and graphically it’s not great. Don’t know if I’m missing something but everything further than about 75m ahead of your car is very blurry, very pixelated and looks very low res. This is playing on an Xbox One S on a 4K monitor. I’m hoping I’m missing a patch or a setting somewhere. Very happy I’m getting the PC version as well as that always looked very good during development.

Damn, wish I'd known, I would have flown to Sydney and taken part :D. Congrats on the prize, I can't wait to get my Collector's Edition later this week (should be arriving on release day).

I've run a 2m03.5s in the Ford Falcon at Bathurst in pCARS2 (my first lap was 2m06 IIRC) and a 1m05.9s lap in the Indycar at Long Beach. However, those were from the comfort of my own home and I know from past experience that driving on unfamiliar equipment usually adds a second or two to my times.

By the way, 1m09.244 is a really respectable time for the Indycar at LB as a first timer on it, massive kudos for that :)

Thanks! I was honestly pretty embarrassed by the times. In the Mclaren I constantly felt like i was leaving time on the table. There is so much pace to find with that car and track combo. With the V8, I was no where. I probably put too much pressure on myself and was ruining every lap (I normally run with abs on the lowest setting but not turned off). I was chuffed enough on Long Beach though. Tricky track and was my first time on it.

Also you're spot on - when you are on an unfamiliar rig it takes a bit of time to get used to it all!

I remember that there was supposed to be a drying line appearing as the track dries; however, I haven't seen a single video where said drying line was visible. Puddles and dry track, yes, but no dry line.
Will be interesting to see if that was marketing talk or if it really exists, because that's the thing I've been looking for since Codemasters thought they didn't need it after implementing it well into F1 2012.

Good point - I didnt see a drying line, but at the same time it was just me running on the circuit so there wouldnt be a drying line necessarily.
I noticed on racetracks like Bathurst, there is a clear difference in the tracks grip with where the regular racing line is, and off line when in the wet. So that was good to notice

I saw distinct drying lines during Ozzie's livestream linked earlier. He was running a race that went from snow to storm to clear, and about 5 minutes after the storm, you could distinctly see the drying dynamic racing line, as well as seeing the water drawn through the still standing puddles (along with Ozzie's comments about feeling the aquaplaning when the front wheels hit the puddle even on his older G25 gear), which was, frankly, really impressive.

as well as seeing the water drawn through the still standing puddles (along with Ozzie's comments about feeling the aquaplaning when the front wheels hit the puddle even on his older G25 gear), which was, frankly, really impressive.
This. That was the most impressive thing to me when playing. The feeling of aquaplaning as you hit puddles when on slick tyres. Like nothing I have felt in other racing games

XXI
You've been here since 2005 and have two posts? Both about Project Cars today?
Man, you must be really excited!!

Does it show? lol. I've been lurking for a very long time (clearly!). I only ever reply to stuff if I have something unique to offer the conversation, which just happened to be now. But yeah, after watching Ozzie's livestream, I got a lot more hyped than I was previously.

This. That was the most impressive thing to me when playing. The feeling of aquaplaning as you hit puddles when on slick tyres. Like nothing I have felt in other racing games
better than first one ? how good is gamepad controller on this game ?

How are the physics as compared to PCars 1? Allot different? Better, worse? Are you using a wheel or controller?

Steam pre-load finished, now just have to wait about 20 hours (5:00 pm eastern US) to ascend to heaven!

Sorry to disappoint, but you need to add an hour to that...... 18:00 EDT is 6:00 PM EDT........ It's now 10:54 PM EDT and Steam is telling me 19:10:00 until unlock. That means actual unlock will be 18:04 EDT.

Just trying to save you the frustration of expecting to sit down at 5:00 PM and play, only to find out you have to wait another hour ;)

better than first one ? how good is gamepad controller on this game ?
I use a wheel normally. I played the first one with a gamepad for about 2 weeks before i gave up and bought a G29.
With a gamepad I do feel slower and less in control than with a wheel - but that's understandable. What I experienced last night was a massive improvement over the first one though. I still struggled a bit, but at the same time i was able to cut what I feel were respectable laps - clean laps.

So I guess what I am saying is that with practice I think a hand controller would be fine. It's just that I am a bit out of practice. Still a big, big BIG improvement over pCars 1. I wasnt very good at RX with a controller though - probably my issues, not the game.

How are the physics as compared to PCars 1? Allot different? Better, worse? Are you using a wheel or controller?

I use a wheel. The physics are improved. The areas I felt it were in the tyres, the braking and the suspension. The cars feel more alive if that makes sense. They are reacting to the road, and to the run off and everything. For me a great example was when I was at long beach
and on turn one I went a bit deep in the IndyCar. I felt the front left lock up as it became unweighted on turn in. At this time I realised im going a bit too quick to make it clearly so i open the steering to take the run off instead of damaging the tyres (not sure if lock ups appear on tyres - but i remember reading that it can impact how the tyres perform so I wanted to be careful). But it all felt so natural. Something I never really quite could get from the first game.

Also - a big plus. If you are like me and would sometimes misjudge the AI and get in a small collision, your car no longer sticks to their rear bumper. So thats great. The cars all feel like cars with their own physics. Not running on rails.
My other small observation, is that the penalty system is much improved. Good clear instructions come up on screen if you pass a car off track (I mounted the roundabout at Long Beach one lap and passed a car). I was asked to re-dress the position. Leaps and bounds clear of Gran Turismo's 50km/h 5 sec slow down penalty.

What is up, my dudes and dames! I can not wait to try the online matchmaking component! I give huge props to the devs for diving into this feature!

Please add me on PSN if you'd like to have a sparring partner, I'm really looking forward to streaming and racing this title with you all!

What it's supposed to come out sooner than Friday?

alot people called Sony about Project Cars 2 pre-download not working then Sony told them it begin at midnight tonight but it is midnight now. i clicked download so it not working.. Sony never looked into it and fix this issue

So spent the evening playing the Xbox One version and graphically it’s not great. Don’t know if I’m missing something but everything further than about 75m ahead of your car is very blurry, very pixelated and looks very low res. This is playing on an Xbox One S on a 4K monitor. I’m hoping I’m missing a patch or a setting somewhere. Very happy I’m getting the PC version as well as that always looked very good during development.

Just a thought...Are you playing cockpit view? Are there settings hidden away in a menu somewhere for FOV/DOF/Camera Shake/Helmet cam blur etc. On PCars1 I also had too much blur and played around with these. It might be something to with it. From the preview videos I have seen on Xbox One the scenery didn't look too bad but as you say you are in a great position to compare like for like with the PC version soon.👍

Edit: Also new trailer released

Hey guys I'm having this issue where my digital pre-order on the PS4 isn't auto-downloading, and I had to force myself to go to the game under the Purchased category on my PS4's library and select Download just to do so. But nothing's happening. I even went to the countdown screen and selected "Auto-Download" and when going back to the countdown screen, it would remain unselected. Is there any help I can get for it to download? Would be very much appreciated

Back