Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,203 comments
After reading the feedbacks about the 720S, I had to give it a spin at Monza as well... and I'm loving it! People, it is a road car, that beats GT3 cars in speed, has less aero and no slick tires. Of course it is gonna be squirmy. It is however perfectly controllable. Taking Lesmo 1 and 2 with it at speed feels like controlled chaos. Anyone who dares climbing into this thing on a real road, without trackday tires, is either mental, or has balls the size of Everest.

I did notice something weird though when fiddling with the brake pressure (eventually I went with the default though). No matter if I reduce or increase it, the tire pressure readouts on the setup screen keep climbing. Surely this is not normal? Can't confirm just yet if it is only a visual bug though.

Also, with the 720S my wheel was much heavier and the FFB started clipping at high speeds, so I reduced Gain to 75 and the rest to 35, still with the Immersive preset however. I wish we could save the FFB configs for each car.

I did notice something weird though when fiddling with the brake pressure (eventually I went with the default though). No matter if I reduce or increase it, the tire pressure readouts on the setup screen keep climbing.
Noticed the same doing the Caterham at Knockhill community event.

Forgot to say, I'm really liking the new, stricter track detection so far, based solely on my time at Monza. I was one of the peeps who always used the limits the game put on me, which meant heavy cutting in PC1 to stay competitive, but I never enjoyed this. Finally, cutting seems to be a thing of the past.

Something else I noticed and forgot to mention, is that attacking the kerbs results in much less erratic behavior from the cars, giving me more confidence when pushing for a lap time. This is also huge, although with the new track limit detection, it does mean that I often overstepped my boundaries. It's time to learn the tracks again, and with all the improvements I'm damn excited to start. :)

Anyone using pcarsdash with Pcars2 at PS4?

I used Pcarsdash with Pcars1 but I couldn´t get it working with Pcars 2.

Need some help

After reading the feedbacks about the 720S, I had to give it a spin at Monza as well... and I'm loving it! People, it is a road car, that beats GT3 cars in speed, has less aero and no slick tires. Of course it is gonna be squirmy. It is however perfectly controllable. Taking Lesmo 1 and 2 with it at speed feels like controlled chaos. Anyone who dares climbing into this thing on a real road, without trackday tires, is either mental, or has balls the size of Everest.

I did notice something weird though when fiddling with the brake pressure (eventually I went with the default though). No matter if I reduce or increase it, the tire pressure readouts on the setup screen keep climbing. Surely this is not normal? Can't confirm just yet if it is only a visual bug though.

Also, with the 720S my wheel was much heavier and the FFB started clipping at high speeds, so I reduced Gain to 75 and the rest to 35, still with the Immersive preset however. I wish we could save the FFB configs for each car.

I'm comparing it to the other road cars I tried (plus road cars of similar or higher performance I've driven in other sims) - AMG GT R, Aston Martin DB11, GT3 RS (all right, that one is practically a race car). It was rocking around like a boat.
I will try the 720S on more familiar tracks when I load up the game in an hour or so.

I'm not sure I follow? You're adjusting brake pressure and looking at the tyre pressures. What are you expecting? Are you seeing the tyre pressures rise when or after driving the car? Or at the start of a session?

I'm not sure I follow? You're adjusting brake pressure and looking at the tyre pressures. What are you expecting? Are you seeing the tyre pressures rise when or after driving the car? Or at the start of a session?
Whilst in the settings menu no driving at all.

Whilst in the settings menu no driving at all.

It's a known "issue" (although it's not really an issue).
What happens is, that while you're in the setup screen the car physics are already fully loaded, including tyre, rim, air and brake temps.
Since your pre heated brakes are warmer than your tyres their temperature will rise, even when the car is standing still.

The issue is simply that the current car status isn't frozen while you're in the setup menu.

What happens is, that while you're in the setup screen the car physics are already fully loaded, including tyre, rim, air and brake temps.
Since your pre heated brakes are warmer than your tyres their temperature will rise, even when the car is standing still.

The issue is simply that the current car status isn't frozen while you're in the setup menu.
Thats not what’s happening i can sit in the menu for however long, its only when you adjust the break pressure that tyre pressure go up.

Ok I investigated I was wrong it is what’s happening clip below:

Is there any reason as to why I can't select to run a practice session before the race at Nords? Nurb GP and Nords Combined are fine, but it's not possible on just the normal Nordschleife layout. Very odd.

My first impressions with this game are wow! By far best racing game i have ever played. It feels amazing on my fanatec gt3rs with immersive and default everything else. Did have some stuttering issues on certain tracks with my 1080ti but i think thats the windows issue thats plaguing all games right now(stupid creators update). I ordered the csl elite for gtsport and this game and i cannot wait to get a real wheel for this. Great job Ian Bell!

The problem with FFB is that it's completely subjective/personal. I find default RAW on my CSW v2.5 giving excellent FFB for me. So what are you expecting from the FFB, what are you feeling now, and what wheel are you using?

Mind if I ask your profiler and on-wheel settings? My CSW V2 did not feel good at all last night. Did you leave all the Raw setting at default in-game? I tried all three presets, didn't notice much difference between them and just felt like my wheel was missing lots of information.

I get what you mean, but that is clearly not what is happening. Take a look at Rono's video. On the top-right, the live readout is changing as it should due to what you mentioned, tire pressures are climbing. However, when you change something in the setup (it can be completely irrelevant to tire pressures), the read out in the actual setup screen (the ones in bar in the video) will always go up, even if you actually lower the tire pressures to their minimum value. I can confirm however that this is only a visual bug, leaving and re-entering the setup screen the pressures return to normal and even if you don't re-enter the setup screen and start driving, the live pressures are unaffected. Basically, for now always check the live readouts on the top-right for accurate pressure info.

EDIT: Hmm, after thinking about it more, you may be right, if the values in bar only update when you change something and then return to your manually set values when re-entering the setup screen. This would also explain the current behavior, but it is really bothersome in any case.

I think I can also shed some light on the various track cutting warnings people are getting in other threads. The track limit warning system seemingly differs from PC1 in two key ways:

1) It doesn't always give out penalties instantly for leaving the track. This tends to happen when you push the limits on the outside of a corner exit, so it is likely due to the game checking for a few seconds if you gained any time. This is why people can get warnings in the middle of straights, or even at another corner.

2) When leaving or cutting the track close to the finish line, PC1 gave out an advance warning, that your next lap will be invalidated as well. This is not the case in PC2, it shows another warning right as you pass the finish line instead. Kinda confusing, I liked the previous system better in this regard, but I can live with it.

Last edited:
Forgot to say, I'm really liking the new, stricter track detection so far, based solely on my time at Monza. I was one of the peeps who always used the limits the game put on me, which meant heavy cutting in PC1 to stay competitive, but I never enjoyed this. Finally, cutting seems to be a thing of the past.

I really noticed this in the 720s at Long Beach (still waiting for the download to completely finish :( ) I must have cut turn 9 by about 2mm and it deleted the lap time, I had to actually go back and check the replay to make sure I did cut and I did so props to SMS for being much stricter.

I thought I would have another try with the controller on PS4 before I plug in my wheel again.

The settings in this video I came across last night gave me a much better experience than the default settings.

My wheel (g920) twitches a lot at high speed, how to fix?

Mine does the same. Also the force does Bias to one side as it did this in pcars1 but removing the low speed coefficient fixed it. Where the hell are the advanced FFB functions like deadzone, low speed coefficient, etc??

Mine does the same. Also the force does Bias to one side as it did this in pcars1 but removing the low speed coefficient fixed it. Where the hell are the advanced FFB functions like deadzone, low speed coefficient, etc??
What FFB settings are you running?

Anyone playing in DS4 or joystick ?

I don't trust in reviews... Thanks in advance.

While I'll be playing with a wheel most of the time I just spent a little more time with the DS4 in a few different cars. With the controller settings from the video I shared a few posts back I think it feels really good, vastly improved over Project Cars 1.
Make sure you try those or other adjusted controller settings though, I really didn't feel like the default settings are good at all.

First off all for me PCars2 is working well on the PS4 Pro with T300RS Wheel.

But one Major thing is still a no go - why use the PS4 Leaderboards only car classes and not a Leaderboard for each separate car ?

on the PC that was available on PCars1 and i´m very sure that this is again available in PCars2.

Leaderboards are very important for Long time Motivation but only for car classes it´s not enough.

Random impression - I love how violent braking feels in fast cars :). Both with wheel and controller.

First off all for me PCars2 is working well on the PS4 Pro with T300RS Wheel.

But one Major thing is still a no go - why use the PS4 Leaderboards only car classes and not a Leaderboard for each separate car ?

on the PC that was available on PCars1 and i´m very sure that this is again available in PCars2.

Leaderboards are very important for Long time Motivation but only for car classes it´s not enough.

I think I remember hearing them explain that in a developer video. Presumably it's a matter of simply not being allocated enough resources on the PS network for individual car/track leaderboards because of the sheer number of combinations.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is looking for friends to populate their community leaderboards feel free to add me

PSN: rono_thomas.

Impressions.

The handling straight out of the box is something to be seriously impressed with. I’m running a T150 and the only thing Ive had to adjust is the volume, I’ve decreased it from 50 to 48.
The line between on the edge to losing it is clearly felt, and its not something I’ve experience in any racing sim so far.

I’ve loaded up one community event Caterham at Knockhill, and haven’t left it, I can see that my issue is going to be forgetting to try other parts of the game.

I have to say that the race engineer is brilliant first use. I’ve no problems with tuning I just thought I would give it a go, see how it performs, as long as you can describe/identify what a car is doing wrong your onto a winner. Have left the PS4 top 10 with time to find.

One minor issue for me is that I wish the box that I was selecting changed a different colour, its confusing sometimes following the cursor around the menu screens.

So far so good.

I think I remember hearing them explain that in a developer video. Presumably it's a matter of simply not being allocated enough resources on the PS network for individual car/track leaderboards because of the sheer number of combinations.

but e.g. DriveCub handels such a huge variety of combinations without any problem. it´s only a question of the database, so you need more space.

Mind if I ask your profiler and on-wheel settings? My CSW V2 did not feel good at all last night. Did you leave all the Raw setting at default in-game? I tried all three presets, didn't notice much difference between them and just felt like my wheel was missing lots of information.
Fanatec driver: basically default (most important is 900 degrees rotation).
On-wheel: SEN=Auto, For=100, DRI=off, SPR=20 (don't like strong menu spring), the rest default.
In-game: Raw FFB settings just default, but I have FFB Volume mapped to buttons to make sure FFB isn't clipping when driving.

Best track to test FFB IMO is the Nords, in for example a Radical SR8. You should be getting lots of road surface, undulations, grip and weight changes through the FFB. On smoother tracks there will be less FFB by definition.

You are correct, it is due to restrictions platform holders (MS/Sony) have. It is outside of SMS' control.

Back