PS3 General Discussion

I'll have to check it out... did you make sure to list all the games for the PS3 that are rendered in 1080p? Are there still no games available on the 360 that are rendered in 1080p? Keep in mind, rendered means the graphics were created in 1080p, not simply scaled up to 1080p and outputted, there's a huge difference between the two.

I'm not sure about the US but over here it's only really hardcore gamers or multimedia lovers who actually worry about 1080p rendered gaming. 720p rendering scaled to 1080i/p is fine for most casual gamers (in my experience) and is still considered high definition. But there lies the difference in the gamers (in this country at least). I got my 360 for when I wanted a blast on some fun games but my PS3 is for longer term gaming and more serious multimedia capabilities, including Blu Ray and upscaling DVDs which is amazing for the price really. I know a lot of people who have done the same as me, got both consoles so they benefit from both worlds. I still think the 360 is the better option for the person who just wants to pick up and play games, but the PS3 is definitely ahead in terms of technology and advances in the gaming world.

I'm starting to enjoy my PS3 a lot more recently thanks to having some money at Christmas to get me some good games.

Sureshot, I can't remember what topic it was in, it may have left the front page now.

EDIT: Did the last GT5:Prologue update take a long time for anyone else? I'm downloading it now and it seems to be a bit on the sluggish side and I'm worried it's my connection as it's been playing up all day.

EDIT 2: What's the difference between DLNA and normal streaming? Because my 360 can stream AVI files from my iMac no problems.

Last edited:
  • Or AVI playback
  • Or DivX playback
  • Or XviD playback

Are you talking about the arcade model without the hard drive? Otherwise...

The Xbox 360 supports UPnP AV. As far as I can tell, DLNA certification indicates a certain UPnP device will work with all other UPnP devices that have been DLNA certified. You can use pretty much any UPnP AV server to stream to the 360.

Last edited:
Sorry GT4 genius, but clearly not everyone is ready to move on, and facts apparently still need to be cleared up...

I am talking about here and now as I thought we have left that in the past. I really don't want to get into a well you said this a year ago argument, and I won't, but if you feel you must do it.

No I don't need to, that's why I asked first.

Wait not mentioning something is misleading?

When the thing not mentioned is very specific to the argument you are making, then absolutely yes, it is misleading, very much so. By leaving out so much pertinent information, and being so non specific, you are most definitely misleading.

For instance, if I didn't know any better, based on your original comment, I would think all 360s come with HDMI cable and that headsets are "needed", and I might not even know that it's possible to buy a wireless Bluetooth headset for the PS3 for under $20, or that I could get an even longer HDMI cable for less than $10.. and that's all without having to hunt down some special sale.
  • The fact is ONLY the Elite comes with an HDMI cable, and at only 2 meters, for many people that's simply not going to be long enough - and more importantly it very clearly said Arcade version in the comparison you seemed so bent on dismissing as extremely biased... despite the fact that they don't even account for the cost of a Blu-ray player and multiple years of XBL.... or even mention all the things the PS3 can do that are not even an option with any 360 model... yeah that's extremely biased... for the benefit of the 360 that is.
I would also think that not only do I have to buy an HDMI cable, but that it could be as much as $100 at some electronic stores.
  • The fact is many major retailers sell it for much cheaper, in fact, I'd be very curious to see a list of the retailers whose cheapest HDMI cable sells for as much as $100. Even Best Buy has HDMI for close to half that. Failing to mention that is definitely a form of FUD.

So in just those two posts alone, by leaving out such pertinent details you most definitely were misleading. And this is not at all the first time you have done this, nor are we talking about just last year. You must admit that you often do this. You can be very non specific and are regularly leaving out pertinent facts that don't support your opinion, and then when someone does bring them up, you respond by asking why everyone get's so jumpy and nit picks your posts, and being so serious...

It's because by leaving out all those pesky facts and details you are most definitely misleading people, and some of us do not appreciate that and feel it does a disservice to members who might be misled, lowers the quality of information being shared on this forum, and as proven here, leads to lengthy heated arguments as often the ones doing the misleading will turn it into an argument by trying to suggest that they were not misleading, exaggerating, or making false statements in the first place.

Also the only reason I brought up the HDMI cable and the headset is because it is not exactly true that if someone looked at a PS3 after having a 360 rung up and said "how much are the add ons for that" the answer would be "you wouldn't need anything". You would at the very least need and HDMI cable, which will run at a high premium at an electronic store.
Which, in terms of the HDMI cable, is exactly the same case as every 360 but the Elite, right?

And again, your comments are misleading... what you should say is it "might", assuming one was going to buy it there in the first place.

Besides, if you want to get technical, what about the person who finds out that 2 meters wont reach their TV? Or that the Ethernet cable is too short, or they can't run Ethernet to their 360, and so on.

"you wouldn't need anything" sheds very little light on what people really do need, and how much these systems can and do cost, and this goes for both PS3 and 360 users. It just so happens though that the 360 does in fact have a lot more hidden costs, and despite this still doesn't have features and 3rd party hardware support that the PS3 does. So again , if you are doing a comparison, you simply can't leave those out of the equation.

In MS advertsing, when they constantly refer to the 360 as starting at $199... they aren't referring to the Elite, right? Which again, goes back to the validity of the original comparison which you most definitely have dismissed despite it being factual. More to the point, even when comparing the Elite, it's still more expensive to the PS3, and even the arcade 360 when comparing apples to apples.

I didn't mention bundles, why bring it up? :confused:

Because it's pertinent to the discussion Joey... this is the whole point of this argument. You seem to thinks it's not misleading to leave out facts that are not only related to the topic, but that may very well not support your opinion.

BTW: Go back, and you'll see that Sureshot mentioned it to you, and you responded... so apparently it was already brought up so why not bring it up?

Maybe next time you should ask yourself, why not bring it up, especially if its directly related to the topic?

And yet you are posting in a manner I find abusive since you are claiming I am lying when I am not. Frankly I find that offensive when I have posted nothing but true thing thus far.

First of all you got a lot of nerve to say that... coming from the only person who called anyone's comments as being fanboyish and then calling 'people' (as you wont give names) Sony cheerleaders, and how they are being ridiculous. And that's hardly the first time you have labeled people who have posted facts that don't support your opinion, but you get my point. If anyone is making it personal it's just as much as you as anyone else.

Second of all it's not just about someone who out and out lies about something. The reason the AUP says quite clearly, false, misleading, and inaccurate information is because even exaggerations are forms of lies, as they are intended to bend the truth to help support an opinion which otherwise is weak without it. The same it true for people who leave out pertinant facts as it can easily mislead others into thinking one thing is true when in fact it most certainly is not.

Was it true that the arcade 360 comes with HDMI and a headset? Yeah, I know, you were mistaken, and didn't notice in the comparison that it was an arcade, but it's still misleading all the same.

Was it true that any 360 other than the Elite comes with an HDMI cable?

While I find it difficult to swallow that you have never seen one store in the US offer an HDMI cable with the purchase of a PS3, seeing as like Sureshot and I, we have seen them all the time... but I also didn't claim you were lying about that.

You said the arcade 360 is a royal joke... again a subjective opinion, but upon further analysis, I guess I would have to ask why, considering it's the same as the Elite, other than the color, and only lacks the 120GB hard drive, 2m HDMI cable, the Ethernet cable, and the headset. All of which can be bought for about $200 maybe less... which is the cost difference between the Elite and the Arcade. I agree, that for most people, I suspect they'll want to add those features, but seeing as they can do that without costing more than the Elite, I personally wouldn't call it a joke.

More to the point, you also said in support of your argument that "If you've done minimal research, such as typing in "Xbox 360 Arcade" into Google, you will see it's a bad buy."... so using that same logic that you provided, why then are they unable to search for HDMI and realize how much cheaper it is else where... thus weakening your argument that someone buying a PS3 at a retail store is going to pay a pretty hefty price for HDMI?

You said it was a terribly biased press release? Again I guess this is subjective, but once again, the facts actually show the comparison left out many other costs and features that would have shown the PS3 to be even more of a deal, so again, that comment strikes me as being misleading, or at the very least meaningless.

Do you really want me to go on?

Seriously Joey, prior to your posts about the HDMI cable, no one was really taking any issue with anyone. You posted what you thought was a necessary correction to what FK posted, although in hindsight you now agree what you posted was incorrect, but just because a couple people respectfully corrected your mistake, your response was to get all defensive and ask us why were are all so jumpy and serious, and then even go so far as to claim words were being put into your mouth to change what your original point was (which BTW can be easily avoided if you stop leaving off so much pertinent facts and stop being so vague about this and that - because when you do, you are left only with assumptions), and claiming 'someone' was trying to make you sound like a PS3-hating-360-fanboy. Which is an absurd way to react when all anyone did was point out your mistake and the facts. If you personally think that makes you look like a PS3-hating-360-fanboy that's on you, no one else.

What really gets me though is you say you expect people to at least read what you wrote and if they disagree, do it in a respectful manner, which I entirely agree with, and yet you didn't read what FK wrote, which is how all this got started in the first place, and when we corrected you, it was most certainly in a respectful manor. If you claim otherwise, by all means explain why you feel that way.

I'm so done with all this nonsense. It's arguments like this that remind me why I don't bother with most opinion based forums as they are so often filled with unbelievable amounts of exaggerations, misleading and inaccurate information.

I'm quite content with simply sharing facts (and all of them, saying one fact and leaving out others that tell a different or more complete story is again, just misleading), and leave the rest of the nonsense to all the so-called fanboys and such.

In case you missed it...

Apathy may be the easy choice with regards to false claims, but a taking a hard stance ensures that sea of false claims wont plague and degrade the great discussion found on GTPlanet.
👍

For the record, I did make a peace offering, which apprently went unnoticed, but if you are ready and willing to chalk it up to over reacting in the heat of the moment, and move on to new topics, that's good enough for me.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Happily moving on....

I'm not sure about the US but over here it's only really hardcore gamers or multimedia lovers who actually worry about 1080p rendered gaming. 720p rendering scaled to 1080i/p is fine for most casual gamers (in my experience) and is still considered high definition. But there lies the difference in the gamers (in this country at least).

Not only that, but good luck trying to find any of the big blockbuster games in 1080p. :(

Also, if all you have is a 720p display, there is no point to it... although there are much much better reasons to get a 1080p TV than for gaming. 👍

That said, when a graphic artist and programmer for a game has over twice as much resolution to work with (720p = ~900k pixels, 1080p = ~ 2.1 million pixels), clearly there can be a significant advantage, as clearly seen in many of the 1080p games on the PS3, especially WipeoutHD... it looks amazing, especially when you consider the high speed motion and high framerates. :eek:

One thing though that has always made me curious is that so often fans of the 360 rave about how great the GPU is in the 360, claiming in fact that it's better than the PS3, yet for some reason, three years down the road and not a single native 1080p game and continues to lack as much support for multiple AV codecs and containers as the PS3?

Also, if you are doing an accurate comparison, you can't just assume for sake of the comparison that no one cares. An accurate comparisons should be apples to apples, and include everything that is different, and for those that don't care about one feature or another can simply chose to discount that difference from the comparison... but leaving out these types of differences would certainly be reflective of an inaccurate comparison.

Are you talking about the arcade model without the hard drive? Otherwise...

The Xbox 360 supports UPnP AV. As far as I can tell, DLNA certification indicates a certain UPnP device will work with all other UPnP devices that have been DLNA certified. You can use pretty much any UPnP AV server to stream to the 360.

No I was talking about all the 360 playing files directly from the hard drive, or in the case of the arcade on the flash memory, external hard drives, and or thumb drives, as the last Media Compatibility List from Microsoft I read did not include any of those formats.

In fact, even with DLNA, previously this was only possible using software like TVversity to convert the formats.

So if I understand you correctly, at least in terms of DLNA, it is possible to play back all forms of AVI, DivX, and XviD without any codec conversion?

If so that's certainly a start in the right direction. If possible, can you explain how it works, or do you have a link to that info I could read and learn how that is now possible?

Thanks! 👍

Last edited:
The same FAQ mentions that the files play as-is on the hard drive, from external media, or from a streaming server.

The only exception is Windows Media Player 11. A third-party DirectShow filter like ffdshow is needed to support H.264 and MPEG-4 Part 2 as WMP only supports Windows Media files out of the box.

This thread explained most of it for me.

The same FAQ mentions that the files play as-is on the hard drive, from external media, or from a streaming server.

The only exception is Windows Media Player 11. A third-party DirectShow filter like ffdshow is needed to support H.264 and MPEG-4 Part 2 as WMP only supports Windows Media files out of the box.

This thread explained most of it for me.

Thanks for the link. I'll try and read through it in detail when I have more time, but based on what I read in the first part, it still sounds like you need to use DLNA as well as transcoders for most containers and codecs, but I could have easily misinterpretted what Felix Torres was saying.

If anyone is looking for a PS3, Best Buy has in-store bundles with the Uncharted 80GB PS3, an extra Dual Shock 3, an HDMI cable, and the bluetooth remote for $599. Not too bad. YMMV.

I did not want to start a new thread, I thought this may be the correct place to ask.
Have any of you try to connect your PS3 using an USB Modem? I try installing the disc and connecting the modem directly to the PS3 but it did not work...maybe I am doing something wrong? or is my only option to connect to the internet is to have a cable connected to the back of the PS3 or a house router? does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks...

I did not want to start a new thread, I thought this may be the correct place to ask.
Have any of you try to connect your PS3 using an USB Modem? I try installing the disc and connecting the modem directly to the PS3 but it did not work...maybe I am doing something wrong? or is my only option to connect to the internet is to have a cable connected to the back of the PS3 or a house router? does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks...

Why do you need a USB modem when the PS3 already has built in 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi?

Or do you have one of the early 20GB models?

Thanks...

Firstly, do you use wireless internet or not? a picture of your modem and available ports might be useful 👍

Not only that, but good luck trying to find any of the big blockbuster games in 1080p. :(

Also, if all you have is a 720p display, there is no point to it... although there are much much better reasons to get a 1080p TV than for gaming. 👍

Also, if you are doing an accurate comparison, you can't just assume for sake of the comparison that no one cares. An accurate comparisons should be apples to apples, and include everything that is different, and for those that don't care about one feature or another can simply chose to discount that difference from the comparison... but leaving out these types of differences would certainly be reflective of an inaccurate comparison.

At the moment I don't believe the PS3 has enough really big games to warrant a comparison on the level of looking for games rendered in each resolution. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 1080p TV for Blu Ray playback but the fact that there are games on the PS3 that are rendered in 1080p native won't be a deciding factor to most people.

It's definitely worth taking into account for the sake of fair argument, but when it comes to the average consumer (and let's not forget, these are the people who make up most of the sales) they're not going to take the time to go out and look up the render resolutions of each game!

Plus, having played my friend's 360 through his 1080p TV and then playing his PS3 through the same setup, they both still look stunning in 1080p, wether it's rendered or scaled.

My PS3 made a really horrible noise yesterday. Just finished playing F1:CE, it may have not liked how I exited the game. I had saved profile and then just turned off the system via the PS button on the controller. Anyway, it had made the noise when I next started her up. No response on the TV, by loud, I mean loud, kind of though either the disc wasn't spinning but it was trying to spin it, or the fan, did sound from nearer the front of the machine. It was loud enough for me to think it might wake up my brother...

Anyway, I turned it off. Pressing the power button, turned off the standby, ejecting the disc before I turned it off ( I often leave games in there, probably not ideal). Started her up 5 minutes, later, fine, sounds as per normal, put in GT5:P and played that for 20 minutes.

Strange.

If anyone is looking for a PS3, Best Buy has in-store bundles with the Uncharted 80GB PS3, an extra Dual Shock 3, an HDMI cable, and the bluetooth remote for $599. Not too bad. YMMV.

It's nice to see yet another confirmation that there are retail bundles that include HDMI, but are you sure that's the 80GB model?

I know the 160GB model is packaged with both Uncharted & PAIN, and the $600 price is $100 more than the 160GB model, which is sort of reasonable seeing as you are getting the extra controller, remote, and HDMI cable... although personally, considering how inexpensive HDMI cable is, and the fact that by buying it separately you can get the exact length you need, I still think it's cheaper to get the non bundle versions. In fact, with the lower cost of HDD, even the 80GB version may be the best deal:

$400 80GB PS3
$43 Extra Dual Shock 3 Controller
$20 Bluetooth Remote
$42 Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
$10 PAIN (PSN DLC)
$2 HDMI Cable (but better selection and lengths on monoprice)

This would give you that same bundle for just $518, but without the 160GB HDD. However, not only can you buy one for around $50, or even a 320GB HDD for under $75 but better yet, wait, and by the time you get close to filling the 80GB drive, based on the current price drop rate of HDDs, you'll very likely be able to swap it out for an even bigger drive for less money, even as soon as just a year from now. 👍

BTW: Costco also has been selling a 80GB PS3 bundle that includes HDMI cable and an extra controller for some time now. I think it was priced at $450, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, for those that want bundles that include HDMI cable, there are certainly options out there, in fact, just out of curiosity, I did a Google search for "PS3 Bundle HDMI" which resulted in many hits that were for PS3 bundles with HDMI, some of which were from major B&M retailers.

I suppose maybe if you install Linux you might be able to use the PS3 more like a computer, thus be able to install a USB modem, but that seems pretty drastic to me. Aren't USB modems meant for laptops that don't have a PC/Express card slot?

Is there a reason you can't use a regular modem or even a router and simply use an Ethernet cable, or in the case of a WiFi router, no cable at all?

At the moment I don't believe the PS3 has enough really big games to warrant a comparison on the level of looking for games rendered in each resolution. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 1080p TV for Blu Ray playback but the fact that there are games on the PS3 that are rendered in 1080p native won't be a deciding factor to most people.
First of all, if you are trying to do an accurate comparison you need to be as objective as you can, and leave the subjective out of the equation as much as possible. Objectively, the PS3 already has over 20 games that are rendered in 1080p, although mostly they are PSN games, there are also 1080p Blu-ray games.

In addition, it's not for us to jump to that conclusion when making a comparison to share with others. That again is a subjective point of view, not an objective one. Sure, if you're only making a comparison for yourself, then by all means edit it any way you like, but seeing as neither of us know what the millions of gamers care about, and that it would be wrong to assume we do or that we think that everyone looking at a comparison shares that same opinion, and seeing as many of these native 1080p games are popular, leaving them out of the comparison would certainly be flawed, especially if it's about "HD Gaming"... right?

My PS3 made a really horrible noise yesterday. Just finished playing F1:CE, it may have not liked how I exited the game. I had saved profile and then just turned off the system via the PS button on the controller. Anyway, it had made the noise when I next started her up. No response on the TV, by loud, I mean loud, kind of though either the disc wasn't spinning but it was trying to spin it, or the fan, did sound from nearer the front of the machine. It was loud enough for me to think it might wake up my brother...

Anyway, I turned it off. Pressing the power button, turned off the standby, ejecting the disc before I turned it off ( I often leave games in there, probably not ideal). Started her up 5 minutes, later, fine, sounds as per normal, put in GT5:P and played that for 20 minutes.

That would have freaked me out as well. Have you tried starting up F1:CE to make sure your game save wasn't corrupted? As a precaution, I try and copy may game saves to a USB thumb drive every once in a while. So far I have not needed them as back up, but it's nice to know you have them saved just in case. 👍

Last edited:
:odd: Maybe i'm missing something really obvious, but why do you need a wireless usb modem at all???

The unit I live in was never wired for phones, thus I do not have a house phone or DLS neither do I use Directv's internet option. The USB modem for my laptop is all I have. I thought maybe I could use that with the PS3 as well?! 💡

The unit I live in was never wired for phones, thus I do not have a house phone or DLS neither do I use Directv's internet option. The USB modem for my laptop is all I have. I thought maybe I could use that with the PS3 as well?! 💡

So how does your laptop connect to the internet? - Is it wirelessly from some sort of router via your USB modem?

If true, this is news to me, and if so I'll be glad to remove that. If we can get come type of confirmation of this that would be great. Also, how many Silver accounts are you allowed to have on a 360?
Like I have said this is all word of mouth. However I do know that you can have multiple accounts listed on a system, and even be logged into them all at one time. I've played Rock Band with friends and everyone with a Live account logs in so that everyone gets their achievements.

If so, MS doesn't list it in the description, features, or specs. Come to think of it, unlike the PS Eye, I don't belive it has a zoom lens either.
They could have meant some Microsoft brand webcame for the PC and I misunderstood. I don't have one myself and can't say for sure.

Sony need to stop this kind of nonsense propaganda, its inaccurate and pointless. These are the kind of tricks I expect M$ to pull, not Sony.
While the previous one was just Sony explaining their initially high price in an attempt to get peopel to switch over this was actually a defensive move. Last week a Microsoft exec made a comment abouthow they expect Sony to drop prices because it is long overdue and it is what they should do to be considerate of the consumer.

Basically, they were painting Sony as a bad guy.

So, Sony responded with this, which basically points out that if you want all the features then the PS3 is the better value system.

Besides, none of those add-ons are mandatory to play 360 games. They are mandatory for the purpose of this pointless comparison, but not for playing games.
I agree. It only matters if that is what you want, but Microsoft is equally guilty of the $200 cheaper comments, when the two systems are not comparable in functionality.

Add on the fact that many people do not have a modem in the same room as their console, and do not want to buy and run a long Ethernet cable through their house. Thus, they have to buy a $100 WiFi adapter.
This right here is the only thing preventing me from getting a 360 at this point.

As I have said before, I am amazed at how many of my friends have not had this be an issue.

Add to the fact that many people may need a larger HDD to store games they download from XBL among other things.
With the exception of the Arcade I don't actually know anyone with a 360 that has this problem. Microsoft has file size limits and I think that makes the difference. But then they also don't have full-featured versions of disc-based games available either.

Now, with disc installs available I imagine that we will begin to see this problem creep up on people over the next year

Oh yeah there aren't 27million Xbox fanboys I'm sure more than 60% are not fanboys and many are Arcade SKu's. Also Micrsoft counts the systems they replace.
Actually I believe the year-end numbers from both companies comparing to each other were 28 million 360s and 20 million PS3s, but that is partly due to rounding up.

And I do not think Microsoft is counting replacement system done via warranty, but they do have a small bump from guys who are too impatient to wait for their replacement that go buy one and then sell it when their replacement comes back.

Microsoft does say systems sold. I have to wonder if that doesn't mean systems sold to retailers, not systems sold to consumers. That is the most spin I will give it. If they reported systems built or delivered then I would look at it a bit more suspiciously

Even though it costs to get online with the 360, it is STILL outselling the PS3, so what does that tell you?
Sticker shock is a powerful thing.

Instead of doing M$ tricks, Sony should be going about it the situation in a different way. The new features in Home are much needed, and this years games releases are definite system sellers (Killzone 2 being the one to watch). I understand Sony's position about getting everything perfect, and its a very good position to be in, but whislt they are lining everything up, the rest of the market is flying off in the distance. I have faith in the final victory, but at the moment, it seems a little ambiguous, and a long way off!
I wouldn't worry too much about Sony. While a direct sales comparison shows Microsoft with a bigger market share, whcih can affect development, Sony is selling faster over the lifetime of the system. Sony isn't hurting and some developers can see this. Some even reported more revenue from the PS3 than the 360, which stil strikes me as odd. Either way it is leading some to develope on the PS3 and then port to the 360, mainly because it is easier/cheaper to go that way. With luck it will mean a lot of games will be better on the PS3, or at least equal in quality.

The 360 is out selling the PS3 currently:
http://www.vgchartz.com/

The 360 has 23.37 million units sold worldwide while the PS3 has 19.46 million units sold worldwide.
You meant 27.37 didn't you?

Can I just ask a question:

Can you play any PS3 games on you PSP on Remote Play? If so, what ones?
I have a PSP and I have only remote played PS1 games and Pixel Junk Monsters.

I don't own a PSP, but I believe the developer of the game has to include Remote Play as an option,
No, they don't. It is purely optional, and a rarely used one at that.

and seeing as there are fundamentally different things about the way a game is programmed for each system I suspect most games probably don't have it, but that's just a guess.
Good guess.

BTW: I just checked, and Wiki has a listing on Remote Play as well as a list of games. 👍
I am looking at that list and how in the heck am I supposed to play Aquatopia or SingStar? OK, maybe SingStar will use the Skype headset, but still. Remote Play can have just enough lag to make SingStar unplayable. Aquatopia is an Eye game. That just doesn't even make sense to me.

raz_10

Thanks...
Um, is that a PS3 disc? Because I am guessing it is for Windows and/or Mac only. PS3 uses a completely different operating system and hardware set. If a driver is necessary it is highly unlikely it will be on that disc.

Actually, after looking at the link you provided I am sure of it:
System Requirements
  • Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 Port
  • Processor: 166 MHz
  • Disk Drive: CD ROM
  • 14 MB free hard disk space
  • Windows® 2000, XP, Vista and Mac OS X 10.4.0 or higher or Linux
So, unless you install Linux on your PS3 there is pretty much zero chance it will work. And then even if you install Linux you won't be able to game online or use the PlayStation Store as those are not available when running Linux on the PS3.

Last edited:
So how does your laptop connect to the internet? - Is it wirelessly from some sort of router via your USB modem?

So I connect the USB modem to my laptop's, click on the modem icon, wait for it to connect and wallah I am connected! I have unlimited access to everything, and can move from office desk to bed room to other rooms without any problems of loosing connection.
Do not need router or Ethernet cable to connect.
So i thought maybe connect the USB modem to PS3...somehow click on Modem Icon after downloading and then it would work the same?
But maybe this set up won't work... I would probably would have to get the house wired :grumpy:

Last edited:
So I connect the USB modem to my laptop's, click on the modem icon, wait for it to connect and wallah I am connected! I have unlimited access to everything, and can move from office desk to bed room to other rooms without any problems of loosing connection.

Ok, so the USB modem just adds WiFi connectivity to your laptop. A PS3 already has this built in. No need for a modem, you should be able to connect online with how it came out of the box in the same way that your laptop does. Give it a go. Log on with your PS3 (without the USB modem attached) and go to 'Internet Connection Test' and see if it can automatically make the connection.

So i thought maybe connect the USB modem to PS3...somehow click on Modem Icon after downloading and then it would work the same?
But maybe this set up won't work... I would probably would have to get the house wired :grumpy:

I suspect the question is what kind of ISP service are you using that the USB modem is able to connect wireless to... because there in might be your solution.

Ok, so the USB modem just adds WiFi connectivity to your laptop. A PS3 already has this built in. No need for a modem, you should be able to connect online with how it came out of the box in the same way that your laptop does. Give it a go. Log on with your PS3 (without the USB modem attached) and go to 'Internet Connection Test' and see if it can automatically make the connection.

That's what it sounds like to me... unless they are using a satellite ISP service, and the USB modem is receiving the transmission directly. However, even in that case you are not restricted to hard wiring your house.

I suspect the question is what kind of ISP service are you using that the USB modem is able to connect wireless to... because there in might be your solution.

That's what it sounds like to me... unless they are using a satellite ISP service, and the USB modem is receiving the transmission directly. However, even in that case you are not restricted to hard wiring your house.

Thank you guys for your help, I'll try it tonight. never occurred to me to connect to internet with laptop and then try to find it with the PS3.💡

Looking at the link provided it is just a 3G laptop modem.

Short of creating a network off the laptop I doubt you can use it for your PS3.

Thank you guys for your help, I'll try it tonight. never occurred to me to connect to internet with laptop and then try to find it with the PS3.💡

I don't think that will work, unless the USB modem has a WiFi router built-in, which I'm fairly certain it doesn't based on the link you provided:

So it appears the ISP service you are using is Verizon's mobile 1x/EV–DO network, right? In which case, if there is a stand alone modem out there that can accept a 1x/EV–DO signal and that you either connect an Ethernet cable from it to the PS3, or use a WiFi router connected to the modem or built-in, and then simply use the WiFi connectivity of the PS3 to go online, then that should work.

At this point though, your best bet is to contact your ISP, which in this case sounds like Verizon and ask them what you can do. I'm curious though, what kind of transfer speeds are you getting using that USB modem on your laptop?

If you can, on your laptop, go to www.speedtest.net and click on the nearest server and see what kind of download and upload speeds you are getting as I'm always curious what other mobile broadband ISP speeds people are getting these days.

Thanks! 👍

I'm curious though, what kind of transfer speeds are you getting using that USB modem on your laptop?
By their own stats it can be either better or worse than mine.

Rev. A Capable: Typical download speeds of 600–1400 kbps and upload speeds of 500–800 kbps
Actualy, if the download speeds stay up then his upload speeds are fairly decent for gaming.

It is 3G and the problem is that 3G has no standard speed.

One thing though that has always made me curious is that so often fans of the 360 rave about how great the GPU is in the 360, claiming in fact that it's better than the PS3, yet for some reason, three years down the road and not a single native 1080p game

I don't disagree with you that 1080p is nice to have since I have a 1080p monitor, but jaggies are a big problem on the PS3. While it's true jaggies become smaller as you crank up the resolution, they're still there. The Xbox 360 on the other hand gets antialiasing for cheap due to the way the graphics chip was designed -- with very high speed eDRAM as a cache.

List of Game Rendering Resolutions + some info on the hardware scaling, Beyond3D

If you have a look at the list of non-exclusive games, you'll notice that many of the PS3 ones lack FSAA whereas the 360 counterparts do. Of course, it's not a big deal if you play exclusives more. If anybody is able to leverage the PS3's unique architecture well, it would be Polyphony Digital or any of the other big hitters.

As a curiosity, GT5: P is scaled in 1080p mode, up from 1280*1080. Sony allows use of their hardware scaler to stretch horizontally, not vertically.

edit: the Beyond3D list also includes Xbox 360 games in native 1080p.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you that 1080p is nice to have since I have a 1080p monitor, but jaggies are a big problem on the PS3. While it's true jaggies become smaller as you crank up the resolution, they're still there. The Xbox 360 on the other hand gets antialiasing for cheap due to the way the graphics chip was designed -- with very high speed eDRAM as a cache.

List of Game Rendering Resolutions + some info on the hardware scaling, Beyond3D

Excellent point, and that link looks really interesting. I'll definitely be checking it out in detail. Thanks!

As a curiosity, GT5: P is scaled in 1080p mode, up from 1280*1080. Sony allows use of their hardware scaler to stretch horizontally, not vertically.

I'm fairly certin that's just the demo, and the release version of GT5:P is rendered in 1920x1080. As are NBA07 and NBA08, and most of the 1080p games for the PS3.

The 1080p games that I know of that scale the vertical lines of resolution (which is the horizontal detail), are Lair and Super Rub-a-Dub (which are both rendered at 1600×1080), and Snakeball and Super Stardust HD (which are rendered at 1280×1080).

What I have never understood is why would there be different rendered resolution for multi-platform games?

For instance, The PS3 versions of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and most recently, Tomb Raider: Underworld are rendered at 1280×720, but the 360 versions are rendered at just 1024x600. That's a loss of 1/3 the native resolution, or about 300,000 pixels per frame - nearly the equivalent of video on DVD.

And on the reverse side of the coin, the 360 versions of Grand Theft Auto IV and Dark Sector are rendered at 1280x720, but the PS3 versions are rendered at 1152×640. That's a loss of 1/5 the resolution, or about 180,000 pixels.

Fortunately these cases are very rare, but still surprising.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certin that's just the demo, and the release version of GT5:P is rendered in 1920x1080. As are NBA07 and NBA08, and most of the 1080p games for the PS3.

Quaz51 confirmed that GT5: P has the same resolution as it did in the demo, but this was back in December 2007. He's the guy at Beyond3D who carefully picks at a screenshot to see what resolution the game runs at. I haven't found any reference to updates that might have bumped it up to native 1080p.

Back