PS3 General Discussion

@Digital-Nitrate: OK, I will call it quits on this one with you, we could go on all day about this and that, and still be no further down the road. I will agree with you that the PS3 is selling at an increased rate, but (and I know your going to roll your eyes at this one), the PS3 is still getting out sold in America by a factor of nearly 2:1. I will also agree, that the gap (in America) is closing, but not nearly fast enough! Maybe this is why Sony have shifted the emphasis from america to Europe - we are more loyal over here?

While the previous one was just Sony explaining their initially high price in an attempt to get peopel to switch over this was actually a defensive move. Last week a Microsoft exec made a comment abouthow they expect Sony to drop prices because it is long overdue and it is what they should do to be considerate of the consumer.

Basically, they were painting Sony as a bad guy.

So, Sony responded with this, which basically points out that if you want all the features then the PS3 is the better value system.

Fair comment. One thing I will say though, and most day one gamers (may) agree, I personally didn't buy the PS3 based on every little feature it had. Some of the functionality that Digital-Nitrate mentions was simply not available when I brought my system. So, the only reason I brough my PS3 was out of loyalty to the brand.

I didn't care much for the Blu-ray player, as at the time of my purchase, it was unproven technology. I did see the point that with increased storage, there was the scope for bigger and better games, but as a Blu-ray movie player, it was neither here nor there because it incurred a significant outlay to be of any real benefit. It has taken me more than two years to get into a position to appreciate it fully now, and I wonder how many other PS3 users are (or were), in the same position?

I also think that Sony was a little arrogant, and very cynical with their reasoning for including the Blu-ray player in the PS3 in the first place. Sony took a big risk with its loyal gamers including it, but It can be rightly classed as a feature now. It's lucky for us that it won the format war, because god knows what the rants on here would of been like if Blu-ray would of lost! :lol:

I agree. It only matters if that is what you want, but Microsoft is equally guilty of the $200 cheaper comments, when the two systems are not comparable in functionality.

Depends on what you call functionality. Both systems are capable of playing high-definition games.

The 360 is purely a gaming machine, and a very good one at that. The PS3 though, is a bit more than a gaming machine. M$ may have missed the boat (or fluffed it up) when it comes to the increased functionality of the PS3, but look at the last generation. The orginal Xbox was FAR superior to the PS2, yet it never managed to eclipse it.

It was the PS3 that has Uncharted packed in.

In that case it must be the 160GB version, which would explain the price.

Quaz51 confirmed that GT5: P has the same resolution as it did in the demo, but this was back in December 2007. He's the guy at Beyond3D who carefully picks at a screenshot to see what resolution the game runs at. I haven't found any reference to updates that might have bumped it up to native 1080p.

That link didn't have any confirmation other than "yes it's the same", and not that I'm saying that he is totally mistaken, only that I could quote plenty of others that said the opposite. In fact, I'm fairly certain I saw a thread on AVS that even showed a screen shot of a pixel count software showing its in 1920x1080. I wonder if the contrast of "confirmation" has to do with the fact that some have said that the rez drops to 1280x1080 during races to account for multi-player online races.

That said, even without pixel count software, the higher rez of GT5P compared to other 1080p games is pretty spot on, and certainly has significantly more detail than any 720p racing game I've ever seen. That isn't to say it's perfect, but it's a graphic standard many games should try and live up to.

I also think that Sony was a little arrogant, and very cynical with their reasoning for including the Blu-ray player in the PS3 in the first place. Sony took a big risk with its loyal gamers including it, but It can be rightly classed as a feature now. It's lucky for us that it won the format war, because god knows what the rants on here would of been like if Blu-ray would of lost! :lol:

I quite agree, and frankly, although as a consumer who did want Blu-ray I would not have liked it. If I were a Sony investor, and from a business stand point, what I always felt Sony should have done is release the PS3 a la carte, like the 360, and either sell the Blu-ray drive separately, or built-in as their premium model. This way they could have gotten the low cost PS3 out on the market much sooner instead of having to wait on the production of the Blue laser diodes, and they could have matched the 360 price level.

The problem with that as a consumer, is that we would then have two systems both draining us of money for expensive add-ons, and more to the point, Sony really needed the PS3 to help promote Blu-ray and to give developers a much larger amount of disc space to work with, as some developers had already been maxing out the storage capacity of DVD before the PS3 was even launched.

Fortunately for both Sony and those who bought a PS3, Blu-ray did win the format war, and extremely quickly compared to other format wars, and as PS3 owners we are not having to buy a lot of extras in the event we need or want them, as much of it is built-in, and when we do we are not restricted to just Sony licensed products. 👍

Depends on what you call functionality. Both systems are capable of playing high-definition games.
I call functionality as what functions something is capable of doing, that is after all the definition. Outside that you would just be cherry picking specific functions and ignoring the rest – which is fine on a personal level if you have no interest in specific function, but is VERY misleading if you are discussing how the two compare among a group. Make a list of everything each can do and you have a list of their functionality.

As for "high-definition games", where are all the 1080p games for the 360? Technically speaking 720p is still called HD, but there is a huge difference between 720p and 1080p... specifically about 1.2 million pixels (or about three times the resolution of DVD). Even the multi-platform DLC game, Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 is rendered in 1920x1080 on the PS3, but only 1280x720 on the 360. That's more than double the resolution on the PS3 than the 360. Sure, if you don't have a 1080p display, it doesn't matter, but now we are back to cherry picking your criteria. Straight up apples to apples comparison there are significant differences, regardless of how anyone wants to try and spin it.

The 360 is purely a gaming machine, and a very good one at that.

That's selling it short as well in my opinion. After all, it does allow for you to download many movies, although no greater than 720p, and at very low bit rates that even compared to DVD do not look any better and sometimes worse due to occasional macroblocking from the compression... although the same is true for Sony's movie download service. Neither of which I would recommend over Blu-ray in terms of picture and audio quality. More importantly it has clearly improved over the years, like the PS3, to be able to play multiple AV files, although I'm still reading some conflicting information on what AV codecs and containers currently actually work on the 360 sans transcoding.

That said, I think what the 360 does better than anyone’s else right now is all the online options for staying connected with friends and other related things, like Windows Live Messenger, Enhanced Matchmaking, the XBL Reputation System, and much more detailed Gamer Profiles.

These are all things Sony definitely needs to improve on if it wants to match the 360 online experience. Granted, PSN is free, and if Home continues to expand, it could very well end up being a real system seller. I have my doubts, but some of the Home Spaces have me quite impressed... although frankly I personally think it keeps people in Home and not buying and playing games, which could come back to haunt Sony. We shall have to wait and see how it plays out.

M$ may have missed the boat (or fluffed it up) when it comes to the increased functionality of the PS3, but look at the last generation. The original Xbox was FAR superior to the PS2, yet it never managed to eclipse it.

Once again we agree with each other, and I have said so as much, that the better performing hardware is not always the one that wins, and have regularly cited the original Xbox as a prime example of this.

Now Sony is on the other side, being the one that released a *FAR superior console a full year after their **main competitor.

* I'm using this description, not because I believe it to be true, but because you used it describe the difference between the Xbox and PS2, and by comparison the PS3 is even more advanced and has more functionality than the 360 compared to the diference between the Xbox and PS2, thus based on your standard it's even FAR MORE superior, right?

** The Wii belongs in a different category, for reasons that have been brought up far too often to mention all over again.

The main difference though between now and then is that unlike the Xbox, Sony already had a very established reputation and wide range of support from developers and consumers. Add to that the fact that many do care about Blu-ray as well as the versatility of the PS3 over that of it's competitors, and I'm sure the significantly better reliability record has not hurt PS3 sales either, thus helping explain why the PS3's sales rates have in fact been extremely good considering that it not only has a higher initial cost compared, but that it came out so late.

So when you compare the sales rates between the PS2 and Xbox and the PS3 and 360, the prospect that the PS3 is in any danger of dying out like the original Xbox is largely without any merit, and certainly there is no indication based on sales, that it is headed that way... which for those worrying that their PS3 may end up like the original Xbox should be excellent news. 👍

Last edited:
That link didn't have any confirmation other than "yes it's the same", and not that I'm saying that he is totally mistaken, only that I could quote plenty of others that said the opposite. In fact, I'm fairly certain I saw a thread on AVS that even showed a screen shot of a pixel count software showing its in 1920x1080. I wonder if the contrast of "confirmation" has to do with the fact that some have said that the rez drops to 1280x1080 during races to account for multi-player online races.

Please do. I haven't had much luck finding people saying the opposite that can also back up their claims. It usually goes back to Quaz51 if someone comes up with the 1280x1080 resolution for races. I'm currently trawling through AVS Forum looking for it, but if you have a link or two to share from your browser history, it'll save me some time. :)

The closest I got was someone pulling a 1920x1080 native figure out of thin air, saying it came in the Spec II update. Then the entire thread degenerated into a verbal pie fight over the merits of Wikipedia and press releases as sources. :ouch:

This thread was close to an answer before people started arguing over semantics. It's rather not safe for work towards the end.

I haven't had much luck finding people saying the opposite that can also back up their claims. It usually goes back to Quaz51 if someone comes up with the 1280x1080 resolution for races. I'm currently trawling through AVS Forum looking for it, but if you have a link or two to share from your browser history, it'll save me some time. :)
My browser history... even if Ad-Aware didn't clear it up on a regular basis, it's been a long time.

That said, Google came back with several thousand hits and several hundred for AVS alone, but I'll try and find it.

Again though, other than the "yes it's the same" comment, where did he post his actual confirmation, and not just a statement?

In fact, even that list you provided doesn't confirm that the official release is the same as the demo, and even says the demo is both 1280x1080 and 1920x1080:

GT5 Prologue (demo) = 1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)

So I guess I'll just say again that I wonder if the conflicting "confirmation" has to do with the fact that some people have said that the rez drops to 1280x1080 during races to account for multi-player online races.

That said, even without pixel count software, the higher rez of GT5P compared to other 1080p games is pretty spot on, and certainly has significantly more detail than any 720p racing game I've ever seen. That isn't to say it's perfect, but it's a graphic standard many games should try and live up to.

Which is also understandable because even 1280x1080 still has 50% more resolution than 1280x720 thanks to nearly 500,000 more pixels per frame.

Perhaps this is also why some people started arguing over semantics, which is odd considering how good it looks, and is still significantly higher resolution than 720p. :odd:

Last edited:
In fact, even that list you provided doesn't confirm that the official release is the same as the demo, and even says the demo is both 1280x1080 and 1920x1080:

I did not deny that the demo does 1920x1080 in the garage/pit/showroom. I said it was claimed that 1280x1080 was upscaled in the actual races in GT5:P.

How is Quaz51's statement not a confirmation? It was clear that he was replying to a question immediately before about the GT5: Prologue Japanese full release, not the demo. I agree it would be better if he elaborated a little more besides yes/no, but it is possible there wasn't much to say between the demo and the Japanese release graphics-wise given the time between the two releases.

I wonder if I can get a hold of Quaz51. I hope my French isn't too rusty. :)

Please PM me anything you find. I've searched for an hour, but haven't come up with anything more concrete.

I don't think that will work, unless the USB modem has a WiFi router built-in, which I'm fairly certain it doesn't based on the link you provided:

So it appears the ISP service you are using is Verizon's mobile 1x/EV–DO network, right? In which case, if there is a stand alone modem out there that can accept a 1x/EV–DO signal and that you either connect an Ethernet cable from it to the PS3, or use a WiFi router connected to the modem or built-in, and then simply use the WiFi connectivity of the PS3 to go online, then that should work.

At this point though, your best bet is to contact your ISP, which in this case sounds like Verizon and ask them what you can do. I'm curious though, what kind of transfer speeds are you getting using that USB modem on your laptop?

If you can, on your laptop, go to www.speedtest.net and click on the nearest server and see what kind of download and upload speeds you are getting as I'm always curious what other mobile broadband ISP speeds people are getting these days.

Thanks! 👍

The speed test provided this interesting numbers...
My closest recommended server (yellow) was in Kansas City, MO :odd: which gave me this:
Download: 2142 kb/s
Upload: 550 kb/s

Then I tested one of the other servers in San Francisco which is where I am
and it gave me:
Download: 1964 kb/s
Upload: 497 kb/s

stil can't get my PS3 online :grumpy::irked:

Download: 1964 kb/s
Upload: 497 kb/s

That's good for EV-DO. 👍

I'm still hunting for ~15 Mb/s down and ~5 Mbit/s up which is what 3G HSPA is supposed to support, but I haven't run into anyone who is getting that kind of transfer rate. :indiff:

stil can't get my PS3 online :grumpy::irked:

Not without a modem or router that you can connect it to via Ethernet or WiFi. I've never looked, but you might be able to get an EV-DO modem/router that you could connect to your lap top, but also connect to the PS3 through Ethernet or WiFi.

Not without a modem or router that you can connect it to via Ethernet or WiFi. I've never looked, but you might be able to get an EV-DO modem/router that you could connect to your lap top, but also connect to the PS3 through Ethernet or WiFi.

Looks like you (raz_10) should be able connect your PS3 to your laptop via a ethernet cable to create a Local Area Network connection. This post looks to cover your problem:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20796733-Connecting-EVDO-with-your-PS3

Oh my! dark clouds are forming over Sony Towers! I've just read an article that Sony are facing their second operating loss in their history. There is speculation building that they are aboutto announce a price drop sometime in April to spur sales in the US.

MVC
Games analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that Sony will slash the price of the 80GB PS3 in North America from $399 to $299 this April.

The news follows reports in the Japanese press claiming that Sony will report a $1.1bn operating loss for its financial year ending March 31st.

The analyst also predicted that the soon to be released North American December sales figures from NPD will show that Xbox 360 outsold PS3 by almost 2:1, with Microsoft’s machine shifting 1.35 million consoles and Sony 750,000 throughout the Christmas month.

PS3 price cut nearly here?

Digital-Nitrate

I agree with you on this, but we have to remember that BOTH consoles are still gaming consoles. M$ and Sony (and Nintendo too), are trying to redefine what we perceive a console to be capable of, but in the end, they all still play games.

All the added functionality that is often argued about takes away from the fact that for any system to be successful it is the games that make it successful, not its peripheral features. They are nice little extras, but thats all they are extras. Sony lcearly has the edge when it comes to those nice little extras, but agian it comes down to games.

I can play COD5:WaW on my PS3 just as easily as I can on the 360. In that respect, there is very little between the two systems. Sony need to start utilising the extra features the PS3 has to highlight the differnce. 👍

Digital-Nitrate
That's selling it short as well in my opinion. After all, it does allow for you to download many movies, although no greater than 720p, and at very low bit rates that even compared to DVD do not look any better and sometimes worse due to occasional macroblocking from the compression... although the same is true for Sony's movie download service. Neither of which I would recommend over Blu-ray in terms of picture and audio quality. More importantly it has clearly improved over the years, like the PS3, to be able to play multiple AV files, although I'm still reading some conflicting information on what AV codecs and containers currently actually work on the 360 sans transcoding.

Well, most of the frieds I know that have a 360, rarely use it to its full potential. Few have bothered to venture online with it, and those that have are very few and far between, which is odd considering the figures you have stated regarding the online uses of all consoles.

Digital-Nitrate
That said, I think what the 360 does better than anyone’s else right now is all the online options for staying connected with friends and other related things, like Windows Live Messenger, Enhanced Matchmaking, the XBL Reputation System, and much more detailed Gamer Profiles.

These are all things Sony definitely needs to improve on if it wants to match the 360 online experience. Granted, PSN is free, and if Home continues to expand, it could very well end up being a real system seller. I have my doubts, but some of the Home Spaces have me quite impressed... although frankly I personally think it keeps people in Home and not buying and playing games, which could come back to haunt Sony. We shall have to wait and see how it plays out.

I agree 100% on this. But in Sony's defence, M$ did have a whole generation advantage with this sort of thing. I'm quite sure that the online capabilities of PS3 will eventually reach the same levels, its just that Sony are the new kids on the block with their PSN, so they maybe have a little or a lot to learn.

Digital-Nitrate
Once again we agree with each other, and I have said so as much, that the better performing hardware is not always the one that wins, and have regularly cited the original Xbox as a prime example of this.

Now Sony is on the other side, being the one that released a *FAR superior console a full year after their **main competitor.

* I'm using this description, not because I believe it to be true, but because you used it describe the difference between the Xbox and PS2, and by comparison the PS3 is even more advanced and has more functionality than the 360 compared to the diference between the Xbox and PS2, thus based on your standard it's even FAR MORE superior, right?

Personally for me, I thought that the original Xbox was a revelation! The graphics were superior on most games, though the PS2 did occasionally throw up the odd challenge. The inclusion of a hard-drive was a stroke of genius, and I feel that the xbox was an early prototype of the consoles we see today. On top of that, the xbox was also a complete system with no redundant or under developed features, unlike the PS2.

And you are right, I believe the PS3 to be FAR superior to the 360.

Digital-Nitrate
So when you compare the sales rates between the PS2 and Xbox and the PS3 and 360, the prospect that the PS3 is in any danger of dying out like the original Xbox is largely without any merit, and certainly there is no indication based on sales, that it is headed that way... which for those worrying that their PS3 may end up like the original Xbox should be excellent news. 👍

I don't think the PS3 will go the way of the original Xbox, but I DO think that it is suffering some of the problems that the xbox suffered. (ie late to the market, and struggling sometimes to convice some gamers of its power). The difference though, and it is an important one is that this is the Playstation 3! Things will pan out eventually I'm sure of it, I just get frustrated waiting! 👍

Looks like you (raz_10) should be able connect your PS3 to your laptop via a ethernet cable to create a Local Area Network connection. This post looks to cover your problem:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20796733-Connecting-EVDO-with-your-PS3

Great find! That looks like it should do the trick. 👍

Oh my! dark clouds are forming over Sony Towers! I've just read an article that Sony are facing their second operating loss in their history.

Thanks to the global economy, as are pretty much every other conglomerate, especially those in consumer electronics. :indiff:

There is speculation building that they are aboutto announce a price drop sometime in April to spur sales in the US.

Michael Pachter (who at one time predicted HD DVD would win the format war) has been wrong more times than he has been right, as I am sure is true with most people who regularly make predictions, but I certainly agree Sony needs to due to consumers tightening their budgets, and doing it to coincide with E3 also makes the most sense. 👍

I agree 100% on this. But in Sony's defence, M$ did have a whole generation advantage with this sort of thing. I'm quite sure that the online capabilities of PS3 will eventually reach the same levels, its just that Sony are the new kids on the block with their PSN, so they maybe have a little or a lot to learn.
One thing is for sure, Sony has a lot to learn about a lot of things... and don't even get me started with how badly their film division (Columbia TriStar) screwed the pooch on their early DVD releases and even their early Blu-ray releases. :ouch:

In fact, if you want the ultimate "sleep at the wheel moment"... all you have to say is one simple word... "iPod". Hello? Sony? :odd:

Of course Microsoft had one of those moments as well... "Netscape". Hello? Microsoft? :odd:

Granted once Bill Gates realized he made a mistake by underestimating the important roll web browsers were going to have, he spearheaded one of the most remarkable strategy turn around in corporate history, and is already a case study in many prestigious MBA schools.

This has not been the case with Sony though, although to their credit, the latest "Walkman" they showed at CES last week appeared to have finally created some real genuine interest, nay, thrills from critics, but they are only about seven years too late, and now they are trying to sell a fancy new unnecessary consumer electronic device in the midst of one of the worst global economic markets. Good luck.

For much of the same reasons, I don't expect we will see much in the way of 30+" OLED TVs at reasonable prices.

While I agree that Sony has frankly shocked me how much they do appear at least in this case, to be listening to their customers and constantly updating and improving the system software of the PS3, on the other hand, as you said, just like the iPod, with the Xbox they already have had a great example on what consumers really like in terms of online features, so I'm not quick to forgive them or throw them a bunch of slack, just because they were late getting PSN up to speed compared to XBL... but based on their apparent eagerness to improve the online aspects of their network, like you I do see great potential in this regard.

I don't think the PS3 will go the way of the original Xbox, but I DO think that it is suffering some of the problems that the xbox suffered. (ie late to the market, and struggling sometimes to convice some gamers of its power). The difference though, and it is an important one is that this is the Playstation 3!

100% agreed... and while they could not have predicted it, it also doesn't help Sony (due to the higher up front cost) that the global economy, especially the two countries that buy the most consumer electronics and video games (US & Japan) are getting hit the hardest, and the worst is likely still to come. :nervous:

Finally, I just want to make a quick personal note, and thank you for your recent participation in this discussion, as it's a great example of how much better a discussion is when it's largely devoid of gross exaggerations and misleading and vague comments, and instead is a detailed discussion sharing facts and opinions based on facts, in a civil and thoughtful manor. 👍

I would not have thought that was going to happen so easily or quickly based on some of our past exchanges, and never have I been more happily proven wrong! Thanks magburner!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Fair comment. One thing I will say though, and most day one gamers (may) agree, I personally didn't buy the PS3 based on every little feature it had. Some of the functionality that Digital-Nitrate mentions was simply not available when I brought my system. So, the only reason I brough my PS3 was out of loyalty to the brand.
D-N's bonus features aside, and back to the chart at hand. Sony's chart still holds. At least for me it does. Even if you look at day one models, the 360 had limited options to game online, and even what it had available meant I had to pay a subscription fee.

But with the 360 not having WiFi my personal problem is that I cannot use it online (their huge feature supposedly) without spending a lot of money on an add-on, or a bit of carpentry work. Both my Wii and PS3 were connected to the Internet within minutes of turning them on the first time.

And for me that is important. Look around the various PS3 topics that I am commonly involved in on this site. I use and abuse online gaming. GT5:P, Warhawk, LittleBigPlanet, High Velocity Bowling, the PlayStation Store, Rock Band, etc. I haven't had to pay an extra dime to play these games online. So, for people like me Sony's chart is very relevant.

Now, for people who are completely happy just gaming offline and never getting updates or patches for their games, or even some of the very, very good online games then a 360 Arcade is all they need. That person however is not me.

I also think that Sony was a little arrogant, and very cynical with their reasoning for including the Blu-ray player in the PS3 in the first place. Sony took a big risk with its loyal gamers including it, but It can be rightly classed as a feature now. It's lucky for us that it won the format war,
I agree, but it worked out and I am happy now. I think they felt the gamers would accept it as they did DVDs in the PS2 or CDs in the PS1. And after MGS4 I am extremely glad they did it.

The orginal Xbox was FAR superior to the PS2, yet it never managed to eclipse it.
It was also new, thus untested.

If I were a Sony investor, and from a business stand point, what I always felt Sony should have done is release the PS3 a la carte, like the 360, and either sell the Blu-ray drive separately, or built-in as their premium model. This way they could have gotten the low cost PS3 out on the market much sooner instead of having to wait on the production of the Blue laser diodes, and they could have matched the 360 price level.

The problem with that as a consumer, is that we would then have two systems both draining us of money for expensive add-ons, and more to the point, Sony really needed the PS3 to help promote Blu-ray and to give developers a much larger amount of disc space to work with, as some developers had already been maxing out the storage capacity of DVD before the PS3 was even launched.
I can't imagine my PS3 without a Blu-Ray drive. That aside, looking at the chart Sony could have done a bare bones model with a BD drive at a competitive price, and then allowed third-party devices for all other functionality. They could market their own branded devices but allowed third-party to work too. That would have put them at a competitive price range, allowed more units out the door, and given a tactical advantage for bargain shoppers.

And I am glad you are not a Sony shareholder.

I call functionality as what functions something is capable of doing, that is after all the definition. Outside that you would just be cherry picking specific functions and ignoring the rest – which is fine on a personal level if you have no interest in specific function, but is VERY misleading if you are discussing how the two compare among a group. Make a list of everything each can do and you have a list of their functionality.
I think his point is that their primary function is as a gaming console. So, to the average consumer, not us A/V junkies, they look at it and see what will play games the cheapest. Those people, assuming they don't have a preferred IP, will just grab a 360 Arcade and be happy. By the time they decide to use WiFi and/or purchase DLC they will have forgotten initial expense and just now see they can get a hard drive for $100. They don't even see PS3 hard drives in the gaming section of their store. So, again their uninformed minds see the 360 as better.

Unless these people know an A/V junkie, or a PS3 owner who can explain it to them, they will possibly never notice that they actually paid more in the end and still lack other functions. They just want to shoot aliens, zombies, Nazis, and any combination of the three. The rest is just background noise.

As for "high-definition games", where are all the 1080p games for the 360? Technically speaking 720p is still called HD, but there is a huge difference between 720p and 1080p...
As long as games keep doing this brown crap look no one will notice. In MGS4 it shows and in GT5:P it shows. But if a game isn't trying to look realistic without brown filters they can typically get away with 720p. I have yet to have a moment in PAIN where I thought it would look so much better in 1080p.

Even the multi-platform DLC game, Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 is rendered in 1920x1080 on the PS3, but only 1280x720 on the 360. That's more than double the resolution on the PS3 than the 360. Sure, if you don't have a 1080p display, it doesn't matter, but now we are back to cherry picking your criteria. Straight up apples to apples comparison there are significant differences, regardless of how anyone wants to try and spin it.
The other thing is that I think 1080p for everything this gen is going to push it on some games, or devs are too lazy, or don't have the time, to figure it out. Next gen however I expect to see much more.
Oh my! dark clouds are forming over Sony Towers! I've just read an article that Sony are facing their second operating loss in their history. There is speculation building that they are aboutto announce a price drop sometime in April to spur sales in the US.
Hmmm, Michael Pachter again. I remember this time last year he predicted the PS would pass the 360 in overall sales. I notice he forgot to calculate in the fact that Microsoft has also laid people off this year and that Microsoft themselves have talked about stretching out this generation of consoles due to the economy making it unlikely that they could move a new console in the next couple of years.

Michael Pachter makes predictions that are well calculated to be flame-bait and get traffic for sites that report on his predictions. Despite high inaccuracy he draws in money for both gaming journalists and his parent company. My general rule of thumb is to immediately skip over any story based on his predictions.

I don't think the PS3 will go the way of the original Xbox, but I DO think that it is suffering some of the problems that the xbox suffered. (ie late to the market, and struggling sometimes to convice some gamers of its power). The difference though, and it is an important one is that this is the Playstation 3! Things will pan out eventually I'm sure of it, I just get frustrated waiting! 👍
Also keep in mind that the PS3 has the PS2 keeping money coming in while the original XBox did not have such a benefit and so every loss it took was pure loss with nothing to counter it. The XBox had to be taken out for a more profitable platform.

Next generation we'll see a much cheaper PlayStation. I'd wager it will be slightly more powerful than the PS3, but not by much. If Sony were smart, they'd keep the Cell BBE in place for the next PS3 with a slight speed increase, or include some more of them. Honestly, they'd benefit more from adding more memory and a smaller console next generation than they would anything else.

A "PS4" with the following wouldn't cost Sony much to make (down the line) and would probably be great for consumers:

Cell BBE (I'd guesstimate about 6Ghz will be possible when PS4 hits)
Blu-Ray Drive (I wouldn't bet on more than a 4x BRD)
1GB of Memory (double what PS3 has now)
HDD Standard
New "PS Eye" out of the box, along with a new controller to go along with it for "motion sensing"

I'd wager it will hit at a price point between $249 and $299. If Sony does this, and beefs up the PSN services, I can see them being competitive next generation (and that will likely not start until 2013 at the EARLIEST).

Next generation we'll see a much cheaper PlayStation. I'd wager it will be slightly more powerful than the PS3, but not by much. If Sony were smart, they'd keep the Cell BBE in place for the next PS3 with a slight speed increase, or include some more of them. Honestly, they'd benefit more from adding more memory and a smaller console next generation than they would anything else.

A "PS4" with the following wouldn't cost Sony much to make (down the line) and would probably be great for consumers:

Cell BBE (I'd guesstimate about 6Ghz will be possible when PS4 hits)
Blu-Ray Drive (I wouldn't bet on more than a 4x BRD)
1GB of Memory (double what PS3 has now)
HDD Standard
New "PS Eye" out of the box, along with a new controller to go along with it for "motion sensing"

I'd wager it will hit at a price point between $249 and $299. If Sony does this, and beefs up the PSN services, I can see them being competitive next generation (and that will likely not start until 2013 at the EARLIEST).
Yeah, I have heard similar. Best estimates have said they should be able to double the cells, increase the Blu-Ray drive speed to definitely load faster than DVD (removing HD installs), and double the memory while keeping a similar price range as the PS2 at launch.

The bonus to all this is that the tech will already be developed, just needing an upgrade. So the huge expense will be out of the way and production costs will already be decreased. Plus, it means that it will be hardware BC with all PS3 titles, meaning that your PlayStation Store DLC will still work.

My only hope is that if they attempt to mimic the Wii's motion sensing that any new controller is included, as well as a traditional Dual Shock. Or make the motion sensing thing an add-on.

I do not want to deal with traditional games that feel like crap because they had motion controls crammed on to them. Certain sports games work well, but all other multiplatform games don't even get consideration on the Wii by me. And even first-party games still felt like they would be better with tradition controls.

But if Sony or any game developer needs proof of what forced motion controls do to a game look at Lair. Warhawk had a motion control flight option, but no one complains about its funky scheme because we had an option.

Microsoft and Sony will obviously want to dip into Nintendo's insane money making scheme, but they need to realize that Nintendo's biggest weakness with core gaming audiences is their selling point.

Michael Pachter (who at one time predicted HD DVD would win the format war) has been wrong more times than he has been right, as I am sure is true with most people who regularly make predictions, but I certainly agree Sony needs to due to consumers tightening their budgets, and doing it to coincide with E3 also makes the most sense. 👍

I agree Sony does need a price cut, and soon. But Sony could further confound speculators by introducing a price cut with the launch of Killzone 2. I know its unlikely to happen, but think of the sales! If Killzone is the game we are led to believe it will be, coupled with a price cut of even $50, I'm sure we will see those PS3 flying off the shelves!

Digital-Nitrate
In fact, if you want the ultimate "sleep at the wheel moment"... all you have to say is one simple word... "iPod". Hello? Sony? :odd:

Damn right! Sony totally missed that one, and they've been slow to catch on ever since. In their defence, I will say that the later models of the Net MDs were astonishing pieces of micro-electronics, but too old school (with regards to the Mini-Discs themselves), and light years behind the concept of the Ipod. 👍

Digital-Nitrate
While I agree that Sony has frankly shocked me how much they do appear at least in this case, to be listening to their customers and constantly updating and improving the system software of the PS3, on the other hand, as you said, just like the iPod, with the Xbox they already have had a great example on what consumers really like in terms of online features, so I'm not quick to forgive them or throw them a bunch of slack, just because they were late getting PSN up to speed compared to XBL... but based on their apparent eagerness to improve the online aspects of their network, like you I do see great potential in this regard.

I agree with you again, and its not the first time they have resorted to populist tactics to increase the profile of the PS3. Who can forget the lucky sods that got a free 46" Bravia at the UK launch? I hope that Sony's eagerness to listen to its customers is part of the '10 year plan', because I would feel a little annoyed if it was only a cynical stunt purely because they are behind.

Digital-Nitrate
Finally, I just want to make a quick personal note, and thank you for your recent participation in this discussion, as it's a great example of how much better a discussion is when it's largely devoid of gross exaggerations and misleading and vague comments, and instead is a detailed discussion sharing facts and opinions based on facts, in a civil and thoughtful manor. 👍

I would not have thought that was going to happen so easily or quickly based on some of our past exchanges, and never have I been more happily proven wrong! Thanks magburner!

Thanks Pal! You have given me food for thought though. In previous discussions with yourself (and particularly in the Opinions/Current Events sub-forum), I have in the past been far too quick to assume the aggressive position, backed up with, sometimes poorly researched (or inaccurate) facts. I know I am a sod for it, and I'm starting to realise that I should not automatically assume that role. I still have much to learn when it comes to discussions in this great forum! 👍

I have also forgotten that we are all here because we share common interests. I can't always say that I will agree with you, but I will try not to throw misleading information into future discussions. If you feel I am doing so, feel free to pull me up! 👍

D-N's bonus features aside, and back to the chart at hand. Sony's chart still holds. At least for me it does. Even if you look at day one models, the 360 had limited options to game online, and even what it had available meant I had to pay a subscription fee.

I don't think I ever disputed the fact that the PS3 was good value, though I think I may of pointed out that there were cheaper 360 bundles available. But as Digital-Nitrate has forced home on me, its about apples for apples! In those circumstances, the PS3 chart does stand. 👍

FoolKiller
As long as games keep doing this brown crap look no one will notice. In MGS4 it shows and in GT5:P it shows. But if a game isn't trying to look realistic without brown filters they can typically get away with 720p. I have yet to have a moment in PAIN where I thought it would look so much better in 1080p.

Whats this brown crap you talk of? I only have SDTV (until Friday), and I haven't really noticed. Though, from my brief forrays into Fallout 3, I do seem to remember a brownish look to the graphics.

FoolKiller
Michael Pachter makes predictions that are well calculated to be flame-bait and get traffic for sites that report on his predictions. Despite high inaccuracy he draws in money for both gaming journalists and his parent company. My general rule of thumb is to immediately skip over any story based on his predictions.

I've not heard of the guy before, but thanks for the heads-up. In future, I will take what he says with a pinch of salt! 👍

EDIT: Slightly off topic, gaming doesn't need this: Teen killed mother in Halo 3 row

I agree Sony does need a price cut, and soon. But Sony could further confound speculators by introducing a price cut with the launch of Killzone 2. I know its unlikely to happen, but think of the sales! If Killzone is the game we are led to believe it will be, coupled with a price cut of even $50, I'm sure we will see those PS3 flying off the shelves!
See, Sony has said they will begin making a profit per system at the current price at the beginning of fiscal Q1 2009, which is April for Sony. But the price margins I heard would mean that any more than a $50 price cut would mean taking a loss again. $50 would have them breaking even on consoles, which would mean software would then begin to bring in profit, making the PS3 profitable.

Michael Pachter is calling for a $100 price cut, which is ridiculous. Maybe $50 in April and $50 before Christmas, but not all at once. I do think that Sony will hold of until April so that any rush created by Killzone 2 will be on the more expensive price.

Damn right! Sony totally missed that one, and they've been slow to catch on ever since. In their defence, I will say that the later models of the Net MDs were astonishing pieces of micro-electronics, but too old school (with regards to the Mini-Discs themselves), and light years behind the concept of the Ipod. 👍
My wife got one of their Walkman phones. They can't make an MP3 player for crap. She already had a recall on the number pad, the ringer half works, the MP3 player can only be used if you have Memory Stick Mini, which is near impossible to find locally (and is more expensive than Micro SD), and the FM radio part only works if you use the Sony headphones designed for the phone, which works as an antenna, and means no Bluetooth if you want radio.

Sony fails in the digital music player market big time. And don't get me started on portable downloadable gaming. Granted the iPod's capability for gaming is limited but similar games that can be played on a PSP or iPod are at different prices. Last night iTunes informed me more games for my iPod Nano had been added, so I decided to check them out. Honestly, I didn't know they had them While scrolling through I see two games that catch my eye. Uno, coming soon to the PSN, and Brain Challenge, available for PS3 and PSP. Both are $4.99 from iTunes and Brain Challenge for PS3 or PSP is $9.99. I assume Uno will also be $9.99. No one will pay $9.99 for what is basically a cell phone game but they will for a PSP game, even if they only differ in controls.

I hope that Sony's eagerness to listen to its customers is part of the '10 year plan', because I would feel a little annoyed if it was only a cynical stunt purely because they are behind.
While I can not speak for Europe, Sony has done a decent job of listening to its US customers. They have their blog that they do reply to comments on, many of the high-demand features have been implemented, and they seem to be rolling out the PS1 games again, finally.

What's with the ' around 10 year plan? You just quoting or doubting, because they have a good track record with the PS1 and PS2.

Whats this brown crap you talk of? I only have SDTV (until Friday), and I haven't really noticed. Though, from my brief forrays into Fallout 3, I do seem to remember a brownish look to the graphics.
Play Resistance (1 or 2), Gears of War (1 or 2), Haze, Timeshifter, and half of the shooters out on this generation of consoles. they all have a brown or gray color filtered look. It is designed to set the tone of the game, whether it be an old WWII look, or a desperate situation feel, but it is over done.

In fact, Uncharted has some unlockables to add like a sepia tone or black and white look. Then there is the "Next Gen Filter." It adds a brown color filter to the game, and makes it look like any other shooter, instead of the beautifully colorful look it normally has. It was Naughty Dog's little joke, and it made me laugh. I also wonder if the first Act of MGS4 wasn't done the way it was on purpose to make a joke as well. That whole thing is in the Middle East with this desert brown filter, and it just looks like another shooter with great graphics, but then as you change locations so does the look. Suddenly it is a colorful and gorgeous game.

I've not heard of the guy before, but thanks for the heads-up. In future, I will take what he says with a pinch of salt! 👍
Here is how PS3 Fanboy reported the story.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/12/pachter-predicts-ps3-price-drop-to-299-in-april/
We were so hopeful that PS3 would get a price drop this year. But no. Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Morgan, had to "predict" a PS3 drop in April. Drats, we were looking forward to this one too. Unfortunately, with Pachter's track record, it's pretty good to bet that he'll be wrong.
So, even gaming journalists are starting to make fun of him.

EDIT: Slightly off topic, gaming doesn't need this: Teen killed mother in Halo 3 row
The judge ruled that legally gaming had no affect, but went on a personal note to say that he thinks it is something we need to look at.

Here is my issue with this: If it was video game addiction or disillusionment due to his gaming, it is no less a crime. No one looks at a DUI accident and says the guy was an alcoholic so he is innocent. No, we give the guy even more crap. It is the same with any drug. And bills don't just get wiped clean because of gambling addiction.

So why, if a video game caused someone to kill, would that make the games at fault? Even if they could prove that video games would have these kinds of effects it would not suddenly be a good defense.

Thanks Pal! You have given me food for thought though. In previous discussions with yourself (and particularly in the Opinions/Current Events sub-forum), I have in the past been far too quick to assume the aggressive position, backed up with, sometimes poorly researched (or inaccurate) facts. I know I am a sod for it, and I'm starting to realise that I should not automatically assume that role. I still have much to learn when it comes to discussions in this great forum! 👍

It takes two to tango, and I can certainly be hard-nosed when it comes down to facts or the lack thereof, and I'll readily admit that I don't easily let go, so thanks goes out to you as well. 👍

As for the Opinions/Current Events sub-forum, or similar types of forums... I try and keep as far away from them as possible! Especially on the Internet, too many people simply do not understand the difference between having a subjective opinion and an objective one, and are quick to start a verbal fight because of it.

Take ice cream for instance (not sure why I like ice cream metaphors, but that's for a different conversation...:) ). If one person says they can't stand the taste of chocolate ice cream, and another person says they absolutely adore the taste of chocolate ice cream... guess what, they are both right. They are simply sharing their own subjective opinion about chocolate ice cream.

However, inevitably, there is always someone who feels their subjective opinion is more valid than another, and will often exaggerate or simply make something up to try and lend support to their subjective opinion.

For instance... "Chocolate ice cream states like cow manure!"

The first response ought to be, "How would you know what cow manure tastes like?" ;)

The point though is that objectively speaking, one would not even have to ever taste cow manure to know that factually chocolate ice cream does not taste anything like cow manure. Just from a chemical stand point, if you compared the molecules that determine taste in both, they would not match.

Now let's assume someone is reading the comment about how chocolate ice cream tastes like cow manure who has never in their life tasted chocolate ice cream, but knows cow manure smells disgusting. If they were to believe what that person said, then they have been mislead to believe something that simply is not true.

Now all you have to do is substitute ice cream for any topic, and cow manure for any exaggeration so often applied in those types of discussions, and you can quickly see why those threads so often result in heated debates - especially when the person who is using objective facts that are untrue (like saying something tasting like cow manure that doesn't) then takes the defensive position by asking why they are being "attacked" for just offering their own personal opinion.

The fact is that while they are certainly entitled to voice their opinion, especially if it's just a subjective one, if they are going to use objective facts that are simply not true (and exaggerations are just one example of this), then they should be prepared to be proven wrong.

Honestly, I wish I could enjoy participating in more subjective opinion based topics, especially about films... as I am a HUGE film buff... but I rarely do as I spend so much time just trying to filter out all the BS that comes from people who have a hard time understanding the difference between subjective and objective opinions.

Now some folks may think I'm just a facts kind of guy, and while I admit, I much prefer to be reading about facts and objective opinions, than just subjective opinions, but I also enjoy from time to time reading and sharing subjective opinions.

*whew*

That felt good getting that out of my system! :)

This has been something that has bothered me for some time, but I guess I never really completely vocalized my feelings about this until now... go figure. Thanks again magburner for what has led to a really interesting discussion.

It is yet another reminder on why I do so much enjoy GTP and how very different it is from similar sites. It's great to find a place where so many different types of people from around the world with different opinions, can share and learn new things and ideas in a civil environment. 👍

I would expect things like lower power consumption and cost for the PS3 if newer Cell BE chips make it in. I doubt they would incorporate processing-improved versions in as older PS3s would not be able to take advantage of it.

http://siliconrepublic.com/news/art...head-research-into-ps3s-cell-broadband-engine

Theres some news on research on the PS3's cell broadband engine. Could this mean better things from the PS3?
As this is just beginning I doubt we will see anything that it does for the PS3. Now, maybe for the PS4.

(Also its being done in Ireland! Probably the best country in the world for research :dopey:, I may be slightly biased :sly:)
John DeLorean would like a word.
I know research is not production and the political climate then is far different than it is now

Any news on psn update this week?
Nothing that has caught my eye, but PixelJunk Eden will get an easy patch.

Note to Q Games - Save yourself some time and build an easy mode into all future PixelJunk games, or accept that casual gamers will not be able to get into them.

Also, the same crew that brought us Cuboid last week, Creat Games and TikGames, aside from lacking in spelling skills, are bringing us yet another 3-D version of a very, very old concept with Magic Ball. It is Breakout in 3-D. Just go play Icebreaker in Home.

Capcom will be bring Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins to the PSP for the super low price of $19.99. So, now you can overpay for an old game and then buy a new PSP after you throw yours in frustration.

Then the usual music game stuff.

I am hopeful for Savage Moon and/or GTI Club+ in the US, but I am used to waiting for those at this point.

Also, the same crew that brought us Cuboid last week, Creat Games and TikGames, aside from lacking in spelling skills, are bringing us yet another 3-D version of a very, very old concept with Magic Ball. It is Breakout in 3-D. Just go play Icebreaker in Home.

I didn't have any interest until that recent post in the PS Blog and watching the HD trailer for it... that looks to be soooo much more fun than IceBreaker!

This will be a must buy for our family, I'm sure the kids will have a blast playing it. 👍

Capcom will be bring Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins to the PSP for the super low price of $19.99

I never was a fan of the original game, but that's a crazy price! I'd be tempted at $5.

I am hopeful for Savage Moon and/or GTI Club+ in the US, but I am used to waiting for those at this point.

Are Euopean PS3 users still complaining and posting online petitions on how they supposedly are always being left out and last to get games? :odd:

I didn't have any interest until that recent post in the PS Blog and watching the HD trailer for it... that looks to be soooo much more fun than IceBreaker!

This will be a must buy for our family, I'm sure the kids will have a blast playing it. 👍
No remake has ever been as good as Breakout on my Atari. Maybe the sequel, Breakthrough, but that is it. Yep, I cling to the classics.

Not saying its a bad game. And I won't judge if you decide to get it.

I think it is just that this will be the third game these guys have put out this month that is a remake of games that can be played for free.

NovaStrike may have been a bit awkward with its controls but at least Tiki Games can spell and they tried something original.

I never was a fan of the original game, but that's a crazy price! I'd be tempted at $5.
I am thinking it is because it is a UMD legacy game.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FG65F8/?tag=gtplanet-20

So, it is more than just a classic ported over. It is an actual original title, and according to the Capcom guy on the PS Blog, the only title in the franchise to have 3-D imagery.

All that said, you can get the UMD used for $10.

Are Euopean PS3 users still complaining and posting online petitions on how they supposedly are always being left out and last to get games? :odd:
I will trade the video store for PlayTv any day.

That said, I think the fact that anyone can point at any other region and say, "Hey, I want that," is a sign that Sony needs to get their worldwide plans in gear. They said at one point that they would be going to an international system to prevent this, but it isn't happening yet.

I am still waiting for the GPS attachment for my PSP. We had been told the hold up was the map software for the US. Well, I see that the EU store has a North America map pack now. If they don't want my money I am more than happy to spend it on a standalone GPS. I have no road trips planned this year, so they have at least a year before I decide to give up on them.

That said, I think the fact that anyone can point at any other region and say, "Hey, I want that," is a sign that Sony needs to get their worldwide plans in gear. They said at one point that they would be going to an international system to prevent this, but it isn't happening yet.

The problem is that it is largely out of their control. I can speak for the film industry, and can promise you it's insanely difficult to try and release content world wide at the same time. Every country has it's own sets of regulation and control boards that must authorize the release of the content and place any content restrictions and labels based on the laws in that country.

That's just for film and video, which are fairly easy to add subtitles to. Imagine the complexity of having to not only provide multiple language versions, but get passed all the various international review boards, and try and time it so every one gets the content at the same time.

This is why companies like Sony have their own offices and PSN regions, as each one has to be set up to deal with that region/country regarding the release of content. I certainly would never want the job of trying to coordinate all that!

The point though is like you said, every region has advantages and disadvantages... which is why it's so nice that we currently can create accounts for other regions, and even purchase content from other regions, although depending on the region and how you want to pay for it, it may require some effort.

I'm amazed frankly that Sony continues to allow us to do this, and I'm sure eventually this option will be locked, and our PSN regional access will be determined by our actual IP addresses... but I hope this is not the case.

You Tube has got a setup that works better with the PS3 browser:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/15/youtube-on-your-ps3in-full-screen/

YouTube on your PS3…in Full-screen!
Posted by Ginger Kraus // Sr. Director of Promotions

Have you ever wanted to just sit on your couch and watch YouTube on your TV? Well, it’s now possible via YouTube for Television, available through your PLAYSTATION 3. Currently in beta, the TV Website provides a streamlined interface that enables you to discover, watch and share YouTube videos on any TV screen through your PS3.

Simply open up the Web browser on the PS3, and enter the following URL: www.youtube.com/tv (note: this link will not work from a PC or Mac, only from a PS3) and hit enter. Now you’re good to go! You’ll notice a new YouTube interface that allows you to watch videos in full-screen. With enlarged text and simplified navigation, it makes watching YouTube on your TV as easy and intuitive as possible. Here’s a helpful video that guides you through the process:

We’re working closely with the YouTube team to make a more PlayStation-centric version of the YouTube TV Website page accessible from the lefthand menu bar (the YouTube button currently takes you to our branded channel on YouTube). So stay tuned for that and in the meantime grab a cold one and sit back to enjoy your favorite videos on the big screen!

Happy watching,
Ginger Kraus

As I understand it, this site will also work well for the Wii Browser.

I think I might have a memory problem of some sort. Even after deleting all my music, videos, demos, and some old game saves I have about 3 gigs left when last time I checked it was more like 25. The only surprisingly large item I saw was the install file for my recently purchased Bioshock... Anyone else having a problem with this?

I think I might have a memory problem of some sort. Even after deleting all my music, videos, demos, and some old game saves I have about 3 gigs left when last time I checked it was more like 25. The only surprisingly large item I saw was the install file for my recently purchased Bioshock... Anyone else having a problem with this?

I haven't heard of anything, but you can always check the file sizes and add them all up and see how that compares.

If you have a lot of pics, music, and videos that are not in a folder with a lot of other content, then it might be faster to simply copy them all to an external USB drive, or for that matter just run a back-up of your entire HDD suing the Backup Utility, and it will tell you how much HDD space is being used by all your content on the drive.

If you think there is a specific file that is the problem, you might want to delete it and re-install it? Or even reformat the entire HDD (after backing it up of course) and then restore the backup file.

That said, this is the first I have ever heard of anything like what you describe.

You Tube has got a setup that works better with the PS3 browser:
As I understand it, this site will also work well for the Wii Browser.

This works quite well. I use a small bit of youtube, usually directed to it by a link, but with this feature I'll be definitely using it more often. Just switched it off after watching highlights of a late 80s Monaco GP. A feature that would be useful though is if you could download the videos to your HDD.

OK, see at one point I had some demo files that would just disappear.

It was right after they first made it so you could sort the games by folders. I would move demos to a folder called demos. Invariably one was always missing, including when I cleared all but the missing one out.

I could find it again if I rearranged how my games were organized (like switching to title instead of album). Then it shows up and I can delete them.

So try changing your view and see if anything pops up.

Back