Setup tweaking destroy physicsF1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter darkpsi
  • 67 comments
The cars get gradually faster (but wear more tyres) as you increase the stiffness, the default setups are soft and very generic so you would expect a proper setup to make you a lot faster.

As it turns out the biggest gains are from setting the suspension to the hardest setting, which appears to give the car more stability (though you can certaintly still spin in career mode) but does wear the tyres a lot faster, the result is more responsive and takes away understeer issues meaning you can brake a little later and still hit the apex, allowing you to get on the throttle a little earlier, I personally I've been gaining around 2 seconds from it in qualifying, I had already got my first podium in career while using the default setups, to me the difference is not as big as people seem to make out.

Why do people think DRS through eu rouge is unrealistic? As I already said, they banned it this year in real life because they knew drivers would use it there despite the obvious dangers.

For clarification

Suspension stiffness default is 6 (of 11), the higher the setting the more stable the car becomes and understeer is removed, so it isnt a magic 11 is awesome and 10 is useless, 10 is just slightly worse than 11. The fact that the cars are universally faster this way is probably not right, but the time gained from setting up a car is about right. These setups destroy your tyres in the race, you will find yourself sliding around and losing time, even spinning before the pitstop window if you don't drive careful.

This. 👍

Quite.

My point was as follows:

1. A game is something you sit down to play from time to time.
2. Driving an F1 car or full-spec F1 simulator is incredibly demanding and difficult (requiring much training and practise).
3. No normal person (defined as no serious racing experience) can expect to sit down and play such a full-spec sim, any more than you would expect them to jump in and drive an F1 car.
Therefore, a full-spec sim marketed as a game would be a disaster and terribly frustrating for the majority of people who play it.

Jake Humphries was and is a perfect example of your average consumer. He's a motorsport presenter, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't have the odd casual lap of a track sometime, but he's obviously not a pro. A good everyman.

I don't care if specific people on here think they're the next Sebastian Vettel. Or if you believe that all your dreams come true if you only wish hard enough. The fact is that a normal person cannot drive a F1 car or sim without serious training, by which point they are not normal any longer.

But what you were saying were "mere mortals" can't hope to handle a realistic sim, you didn't mention they won't be allowed time to learn and cope at all. Which is simply not true, most people can get around with some basic knowledge and experience.

In fact in the defend of F12011, if you throw someone who is not interested in cars at all, or a casual FPS gamer, they will be spinning left and right too, so it means it is not such big as nanny you trying to project?

I don't see how you define someone is normal, normal to me is without superhuman straight and reflexes, and while racing drivers are fit very few of them are on the entirely different field compare to the rest of the world, most that I know are very very normal........they are just skilled at something.

i'm still confused as to how this is a glitch. i always thought that setting a car up well would gain time? and with the simple system codies put into f1 2011 it was always going to be easy to get the perfect set up. does this give you some hidden speed boost or better braking?

hawsuar
i'm still confused as to how this is a glitch. i always thought that setting a car up well would gain time? and with the simple system codies put into f1 2011 it was always going to be easy to get the perfect set up. does this give you some hidden speed boost or better braking?

Have you tried it? Go ahead, it literally makes your car like a RedbullRenault

I don't see how you define someone is normal, normal to me is without superhuman straight and reflexes

You're aware that superheroes and immortals don't *actually* exist in the real world?

so your point of using this particular word being????

Poetic license mate.

Obviously racing drivers are people just like everyone else, because everyone is a person just like everyone else. It was a fancy way of saying that they're extremely skilled.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I wasn't talking about *actual* superheroes and immortals, but obviously not. My bad, sorry.

I love how people pretend that a real F1 sim would actually be drivable by mortals. I seem to recall a feature on the BBC coverage a couple of races ago where they stuck Coulthard, Christian Horner and Jake in the Red Bull sim rig. It's probably a fair assumption that the RB rig will be basically state of the art, the best sim that is technically possible today.

Jake couldn't drive it to save himself.

I'm not knocking his skills, that would probably be the result were most normal people to try and drive the thing. It's just way beyond our ability, and it's not even the slightest bit fun. No doubt there's a market out there for a serious SERIOUS sim like that, but I bet you it's bloody small.

Given this, it's obvious that any F1 game is going to have to be dumbed down at least some amount in order to be accessible. In my opinion, CM did a good job of striking a balance between drivability and the characteristics that make F1 cars unique. You can feel the downforce, the temperature and wear of the tyres, the edginess, the throttle control needed. It simulates the parts of the experience that people want to enjoy at a level that they can deal with them.

No, it's not full sim. But nothing is, really.

Anyone could drive a F1 car. At an entirely pedestrian (ha!) pace. What are we talking about in terms of a reasonable pace here? 5 seconds off a top level driver in equal machinery? 10 seconds?

It seems like you, and several other people in this thread are of the opinion that if only you had got the breaks that some of the F1 drivers had when they were younger, you'd be behind the wheel of the RB7 right now.

Fat chance.

Even leaving the physicality of an F1 car out of it, which can be trained up to for most normal people if needs be, F1 drivers are ENORMOUSLY skilled. They are the gold medal Olympians of their profession, no non-professional should even be considered in the same sentence.

Let us look at another example, the Top Gear Reasonably Priced car challenge. The original Liana ran for several years and took a range of drivers of various skill levels. The fastest was Ellen McArthur at 1:46.7, a professional athlete.

The fastest F1 driver is Vettel, at 1:44.0. That's a lot in such a slow, forgiving car.

I find it hard to believe that an ordinary person with a little track experience could expect to be within even 10 seconds of Vettel in an F1 car. Assuming they were suitably physically prepared and everything.

And that's the beauty of F1 2011. It makes you feel as though you *could* hang with the stars of F1. Even though normal people know that they very much could not.

If you believe that all it takes is practise to be a world-class driver, more power to you. F1 drivers do work bloody hard to get where they are, and bloody hard to maintain and improve that skill set.

Obviously we all agree that without at least several months of training and experience in relevant and similar racing categories, a normal person wouldn't stand a chance in an F1 car. With that training could they be competitive? Maybe.

I do believe however that there's a certain level of innate affinity for a sport that drives some athletes to be better than others. Part of it is a love for their chosen sport, allowing them to devote their whole lives to it without regret. Part of it is being naturally quick to learn and understand the concepts on which the sport hinges. Part of it is the physical attributes relevant to the sport. And part of it is just good old fashioned hard work.

Anyone can put in the hard work, but without all those aspects you will lose to those that do have them. Because they are working harder, longer, and more efficiently.

I don't believe that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. That's obvious bollocks. Some people will never be able to understand advanced physics, no matter how much they study. Some people will never be capable of driving an F1 car, no matter how much they practise.

And JJ72, we were talking about ordinary people driving an F1 car. By having experience in Formula cars you're pretty much automatically not just and ordinary person, from a racing perspective.

Quite.

My point was as follows:

1. A game is something you sit down to play from time to time.
2. Driving an F1 car or full-spec F1 simulator is incredibly demanding and difficult (requiring much training and practise).
3. No normal person (defined as no serious racing experience) can expect to sit down and play such a full-spec sim, any more than you would expect them to jump in and drive an F1 car.
Therefore, a full-spec sim marketed as a game would be a disaster and terribly frustrating for the majority of people who play it.

Jake Humphries was and is a perfect example of your average consumer. He's a motorsport presenter, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't have the odd casual lap of a track sometime, but he's obviously not a pro. A good everyman.

I don't care if specific people on here think they're the next Sebastian Vettel. Or if you believe that all your dreams come true if you only wish hard enough. The fact is that a normal person cannot drive a F1 car or sim without serious training, by which point they are not normal any longer.

Poetic license mate.

Obviously racing drivers are people just like everyone else, because everyone is a person just like everyone else. It was a fancy way of saying that they're extremely skilled.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I wasn't talking about *actual* superheroes and immortals, but obviously not. My bad, sorry.

So after all that your point is racing drivers are extremely skilled, tell you what you like a bit of foreplay before you get to the point lol :rolleyes:

Back