Small OT: Kazunori's Biography

• Thread starter amar212
  • 50 comments

amar212

GTSurgeons.com
Premium
Croatia
Croatia
Small Off Topic, for easining the tension here.

Here is the Kaz Bio, as a part of materials send by SCEE prior to release of the game. Notice the section with man's cars:). You can also find a nice pic of him sitting in his PD office, surrounded with +100 000$ worth of computers and stuff.

---BEGINS----

Kazunori Yamauchi
Senior Vice President, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.,
President of Polyphony Digital and Creator of Gran Turismo® Franchise

Since he was three years old, Kazunori Yamauchi has had a fascination with cars. It was not until he was 15 years old, when he began building the original concept for Gran Turismo. When reflecting back, Yamauchi states, “I feel very lucky to be able to create a driving game that can capture the emotion and true-feel of automobiles from around the world in unique and well-known locales.”

Since the inception of the Gran Turismo franchise, Yamauchi and Polyphony Digital have revolutionized the racing category as we know it today. His offerings provide the gamer with the most true-to-life driving simulation within the industry and a unique medium for automobile manufacturers. Recently, as stated in the March 10, 2003 issue of Newsweek, “Games like GT3 are turning millions of couch potatoes into living-room racers…becoming the new virtual showroom and design studio for automakers.”
Through the Gran Turismo franchise, one can clearly see that Yamauchi is a great fan of cars and motorsports. Currently, Yamauchi owns a Ford GT, Honda S2000, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V, Porsche GT3, Nissan 350Z and a Mercedes AMG SL55. Often, one may find Yamauchi racing leisurely at the Motegi Twin Ring race track outside of Tokyo. The track at Motegi was also the testing ground for many of the cars featured in the Gran Turismo offerings, and was featured in the “Making of Gran Turismo 4” movie which came with the PAL version of GT4: “Prologue”.

In 1993, Kazunori Yamauchi began his career in the game industry, the same year Sony Computer Entertainment was established. At that time, Yamauchi’s role was to create games for the new PlayStation® game console, to be released in Japan the following year. Since 1993, Yamauchi has created Motortoon Grand Prix (one of the Japanese PlayStation launch titles in 1994), Motortoon Grand Prix 2 (1996), Gran Turismo (1997), Omega Boost (1999), Gran Turismo 2 (1999), Gran Turismo 3 (2001), Gran Turismo Concept (2002), Gran Turismo 4: “Prologue” (2004) and Gran Turismo 4 which launches in Europe in March 2005.

Growing up in the city of Kashiwa, Japan in Chiba prefecture, Yamauchi was a role model school boy who dreamed of becoming an astronaut. At the time, he was interested in the motion picture industry and in Junior High School, he established a movie production group, making one film a year. At one point, he wished he could create a movie like Star Wars. Yamauchi adds that Japan’s gaming industry is similar to Hollywood in the film industry.

As Yamauchi proceeded to High School, he explains that he was no longer the “cream of the crop”. In his years at University School, Yamauchi built his skills in graphic design, participating in part time jobs in preparing presentation materials for car manufacturers.

Nearly 10 years ago, Yamauchi began the Gran Turismo franchise with four people. Today, he is President of Polyphony Digital, which is comprised of more than 70 members, encompassing programmers, designers, artists and more. Yamauchi’s main responsibility is for the core game design and balancing of concepts, however, he has an ongoing open forum for suggestions from his team members that often can result in game design plans. The name ‘Polyphony’ is meant to suggest a place for polyphonic people and for their voices to mix with one another. Yamauchi and team have just finished work on the epic Gran Turismo 4, which has taken them around the world working on-location at famous tracks in Europe, Asia and America – including Nurburgring, Monte Carlo and Le Mans.

In addition to his roles at Polyphony Digital, Yamauchi also serves as Senior Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and is regarded as one of the most important visionaries and technologists in the multi-billion dollar video games industry.

As well as driving cars, Kazunori is a keen photographer, a collector of good red wines and a fan of the Tour De France.

---ENDS----

It's good to be The Man... :).

Attachments

• yamauchi_photo.jpg
    yamauchi_photo.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 371
And such a well-educated, visionary and devoted genius agrees that the final result of a his piece of art becomes over more then 50% of the playtime mixed with the same TWO repetitive soundsamples.
One sample is of a group of shouting people and one sample of a carnival horn.

Buggy Boy
And such a well-educated, visionary and devoted genius agrees that the final result of a his piece of art becomes over more then 50% of the playtime mixed with the same TWO repetitive soundsamples.

Will you please give it a rest about Crowd Cheering noises?!?!

Every other topic has a comment from you about it!!! 👎

C.

Buggy Boy

What about that wierd bird noise?

Interesting that he uses a Mac when he works for Sony ...

I guess there are a few applications for Mac OS that don't have comparable counterparts for Windows or Linux, but at least they could have set up an office for him for the media pictures.

Buggy Boy

who cares about cheer samples?

I'm FAR more concerned with the simulation aspect.. which KY claims to be 99% accurate, i'll start a new thread on this soon with some comparassions of real cars and Gran Turismo 4 cars, there seem to be some inconsitencies that make that 99% figure totally inacurate so far. (as far as stock cars go, won't even get into the tuning aspect of the game...)

Anyway, as soon as i get some more data from Flinx i'll start the new thread.

They forgot to add "smokes like a chimney" as well... a few years back after the release of GT3, I got to meet KY through a close buddy who works in the Japanese auto industry. He interviewed KY and two of his staff at my place and we ended up running laps on my makeshift wheel/pedal outfit before going out to dinner. I still have my autographed GT3 DVD as well!

Despite his climb to fame, he is very down to earth and very approachable even in the middle of the Tokyo Motor Show.

Let's see a bit more of Kazunori's workplace...

Mmm, talk of cubicles...

PDI_booths_19107_Full.jpg

If you ever go to Polyphony headquarters here's where you'll have to wait...

PDI_entrance01.jpg

Tired of working? you don't go home!

PDI_refresh_01.jpg

This one is interesting... look at the black servers (right) and the "test station" (DFP included). It is here where they test the early builds?

PDI-Green.jpg

It's not that hard to have one of these at home...

PDI_testplay.jpg

The Man

yamauchisan_5_19106_Full

"As well as driving cars, Kazunori is a keen photographer, a collector of good red wines and a fan of the Tour De France. "

scary, if I'd never seen the guy I'd have guessed he was the stereotype of a rich british guy in his 50s!!!

wow. Very interesting read that really shows into the heart and soul of the gran turismo concept. I love the offices more and more, but the roof is really cool because it holds many incredible cars with an elevator through the entire building. Thanks for the info and pictures, keep up the good work.

amar212
Often, one may find Yamauchi racing leisurely at the Motegi Twin Ring race track outside of Tokyo.

Leisure racing!?! You've got time for leisure racing!?! Get your ass back into that cubicle and make sure that game is perfect!!! J/K ;)

Buggy Boy
i hate that stupid horn. :crazy: but check out his G4, i have that one ! (the clear space agey looking computer) he's really a great guy though, and has created a franchise that i've played since GT1, and has given me time well spent in front of a television :) later-

Nice office, and also cockpits. They might have a good life. :D

But i hate him. If he had ethics and was a good worker also his whole team, they should had released all GT4 versions in january or earlier, and not this crap work of releasing it after months of many "final" release dates.

The game shall be good, but, Kazunori sucks. :crazy:

does the guy work out? he's in pretty good shape. I would love it if my work environment were like that, very impressive. They look like they have the entire PS2 library. Whatever those things are behind the yellow staircase.

veilsidebr

But i hate him. If he had ethics and was a good worker also his whole team, they should had released all GT4 versions in january or earlier, and not this crap work of releasing it after months of many "final" release dates.

And how the hell would you know that?

Do you know him personally? I very much doubt it, and as such I don't think you are idealy placed to question his ethics or work ethos.

The final release dates you talk about so authoratively have mostly come from the media and retailers, not PD or Sony.

I seriously doubt that Kazunori got to his current position by being a 'slacker' (as you seem to be implying).

Tell you what, prove me wrong; in the next seven to eight years I would like you to develop a series of racing games that in the first instance re-invent the racing genre and then improve from that point. A total of 4 full games and 2 sub-games should do the trick.

By the way, if you miss anything from these games (that I believe should be in) or are late with one release date then I will public berate you. You can start with a team of only four people and build from that point.

Either do this or tell us all exactly why he 'sucks' and you 'hate' him?

yeti
Will you please give it a rest about Crowd Cheering noises?!?!

Every other topic has a comment from you about it!!! 👎

C.
Don't worry. But your reaction illustrates how something can upset people, once that it has started to annoy them. :)
- And then you still have the choice to put me on your ignore list, but we all have to take GT4 with that horn on 90% of the tracks ... or only drive the Nürburgring and Motorsportsland.

Anyway, you won't see me so often here any more. That cheering noise has been frustrating me so hard lately that my entusiasm for GT4 is mostly gone and my only hope is that some software genius will be able to produce a patch that shuts it off.

Please discuss crowd cheering further in this thread.

veilsidebr

Ok, then. Worship Gates III.

Seems you know a little about ethics. One month or two are nothing in a 4-year waiting schedule. We all know that PS2 and GT4 will NOT be distributed here, but i bought the Japanese version and pre-bought US.

You will probably buy a R$20 copy next corner.

Keep flaming. 👎

Kaz is well cool, as is onlyone who worked on such a great game.

( I have tremendus repect for game developers as its my own choosen careera path)

Scaff

Do you know him personally? I very much doubt it, and as such I don't think you are idealy placed to question his ethics or work ethos.

The final release dates you talk about so authoratively have mostly come from the media and retailers, not PD or Sony.

I seriously doubt that Kazunori got to his current position by being a 'slacker' (as you seem to be implying).

Tell you what, prove me wrong; in the next seven to eight years I would like you to develop a series of racing games that in the first instance re-invent the racing genre and then improve from that point. A total of 4 full games and 2 sub-games should do the trick.

By the way, if you miss anything from these games (that I believe should be in) or are late with one release date then I will public berate you. You can start with a team of only four people and build from that point.

Forget it and leave him with NFSU, listening to RAP.

Scaff

First: i didn´t understand that sentence "I don't think you are idealy placed to question his ethics or work ethos". If i have ethics or not, it´s my problem.

Second: If he works good, he doesn´t have just to make a great game, as it is, but also release it on the claimed time. If he doesn´t do this, so, he is just 👎 👎 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaff

Forget it and leave him with NFSU, listening to RAP.

I don´t play NFSU or even listen to a ****ing RAP.

As you are braziliam, i shal talk in portuguese.

Cara, se vc é noob ou nao, problema é seu. Um cara demora tanto pra lançar um jogo, confirma uma data várias vezes e vai adiando isso, e parece que realmente nao irá lançar, vc é burro mesmo pois temos tantos exemplos no brasil como este, nao no mesmo assunto, e vc ainda acha isso certo.

Lembre-se de algúem chamado Paulo Maluf primeiro, antes de falar mais merda que estou errado.

Seu lixo 👎 :crazy:

Back