Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,670 comments
Frankly I wouldn't donate any organ for a car.

Are you sure? :sly:
302799_RB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Never found it attractive for a car to have it's rear axle widened. It might look good on a dragster but not on a street monster.
It's not widened. It's wheel backspacing and suspension modifications. Gives it a LOT of traction.

It's a look you either have to have lived through the period when it was common or it grows on you. Some people have a taste for it and some don't.

If I see one, I express my dislike in the design. However I know not to mess with it.

The only big downfall is the ride quality goes down a bit but the go fast part makes up for it. Literally stops all wheel hop.

It also looks like Mexi-Flush & that never looks tasteful.
Thats exactly what I see it as.
Naw, because it's only at the rear. Mexi Flush would be to also have the front tires poking out half a meter from the fender. The monstruous rear tires have been a street freak tradition since the early 70s, along with skinnies at front for good measure. Yeah, of cuestionable taste as much as panel painting, side pipes and stuff, but with much more background than mexiflushing.

Mexiflush is having wheels poke out to far, regardless of it being front or rear or both. Reminds me of what I posted in another thread about trucks, and also reminds me of how lowriders poke out the wheels, too. Regardless, it looks horrible. It has been around since Low rider days, and it is very much present in lots of Mexican-American area's. Drive through East L.A and you'll see all kinds of this and that's all I see this as. Although I'll give you that its not usually super wide ridiculous tires, but just poked rim to far.

Also, it just seems extremely tacky because "Murican v8, just throw the widest unnecessary wheels we can possibly think of." I don't think it attractive, or tasteful. Its just one of those niche things, and I just don't like it.

Mexiflush is having wheels poke out to far, regardless of it being front or rear or both.

It has degenerated troughout the years, but as @Slash said in his post, the origins of the wide rear tires look was because the street machine guys in the 70s were looking for traction and they suddenly could put in these enormous rear threads in. Let's not forget in the 60s there were only pencil-thin bias plys, so out of the blue manufacturers like M/H and Mickey Thompson came out with radial/tube tires that had thrice the contact patch of the rears you previously had. And let's not forget either that manye of these cars really needed it, Soon, the look was adopted by the muscle car guys and it became synoinimous for a bad-ass street brawler which, back then, was actually pretty common.

Today the look is kept alive from the nostalgia of those days.

The 70s and 80s were big into that look. It was effectively the cheapest and easiest way to go fast back then and when a lot of the 60s cars hit the used market they were going for cheap because of the oil fiasco so teenagers were scooping them up. Throwing a set of $50 Lakewood traction bars and a $50 pair of shackles with some wide tires that increased the contact patch would basically knock a full second or two off your ET as well as giving you a hella-better launch from a dead stop.

That was the look people went for back then because tubbing hadn't become a thing yet. As @Cano said, it's kept alive today because of the nostalgia simply because it was a thing everyone did. In comparison to how big it got, I'd say it's like how popular plasti-dip is now. Big tires in the back with a jacked up rear gave the cars a very nasty/aggressive look that give it a "pissed off" feel.

Think of it as how cars progressed with technology over time. Originally you'd have the gassers if you wanted to really go fast. Why? Because they needed big rear tire. Overtime, technology progressed so that you could fit tires under cars and keep a mostly stock height. Later (late 80s), people started tubbing cars out to put massive tires under them. And now here we are. Street racing back then was HUGE.

While most of those cars are now being returned to stock specifications (due to restoring), there is a movement to save the street rods left simply because it had such a big impact on the muscle car scene. I still see them around to this day, though not to that old school frequency.

mikesduster011386905002.jpg

Think of it as how cars progressed with technology over time. Originally you'd have the gassers if you wanted to really go fast. Why? Because they needed big rear tire. Overtime, technology progressed so that you could fit tires under cars and keep a mostly stock height. Later (late 80s), people started tubbing cars out to put massive tires under them. And now here we are with cars running 7 seconds on drag radials.

Fixed.

I get where you guys are coming from, and understand the background of it, but still I dont see it as tasteful. Thats all good though, its no problem to me.

You're right though, It certainly did give it a nasty look. :P

Entirely true as well.

I get where you guys are coming from, and understand the background of it, but still I dont see it as tasteful. Thats all good though, its no problem to me.

You're right though, It certainly did give it a nasty look. :P
Its one of those things were you either like it or you don't.

tumblr_mgh9kkdk2o1s1f10do1_500.jpg

Latest Posts

Back