Teachers with guns ?

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 648 comments

Do you support teachers carrying guns ?

• Total voters
This might not follow the current discussion. I haven't had time to read all the lengthy posts today.

I don't understand why people who openly admit that they have an aversion to guns and have little to no experience with guns go around telling people who do have experience with guns that concealed carry will be ineffective.

Police and military who have hundreds of hours of combat experience carry concealed. They also advocate concealed carry for citizens.

Stay in your lane much?

I don't understand why people who openly admit that they have an aversion to guns and have little to no experience with guns go around telling people who do have experience with guns that concealed carry will be ineffective.
And I don't understand why people who have experience carrying guns advocate the idea of carrying concealed weapons on school grounds when they don't even acknowledge the potential for a myriad of practical, legal and ethical problems to come to pass if teachers were entitled to carry concealed weapons.

You just say "teachers should be allowed to carry guns", bandy about some statistics on the link between private gun ownership and the link between violent crime, and then claim that you have proven your point. And perhaps you have, but I haven't seen you make any suggestions as to how you would go about implementing a policy of teachers carrying guns, much less how to deal with any problems that arise from it. All you do is refer back to statistics. I could probably use statistics to prove that the sky is green and the grass is blue if I asked enough six year-olds standing on their heads in the middle of a meadow what they say.

OK, for the record, I live in OH, am a senior in HS. I have been around guns for as long as I can remember, and if teachers were armed it would not scare me at all. I say this because if some madman got into the school, I would try to get out and arm myself and then go back in to save my friends. If two or more teachers on every floor were armed and had CCW training, I would not have any problem with it. Also for the record, my sister is in middle school, she would not mind either if it meant her life would be protected and safe. Heck, let select students with clean records have guns on them in holsters or in their inside pockets. We would feel much safer. And to those who are foreign, you have know idea what goes on here, owning a firearm is a right we hold very near and dear to our hearts, if anyone would try to take it away from us, all I can say is two to the chest and one to the head.

I haven't seen you make any suggestions as to how you would go about implementing a policy of teachers carrying guns, much less how to deal with any problems that arise from it.
I don't see any policy papers from you in the opinions forum either.

You want to know how it would work? The way it does in the numerous other places where people are allowed to carry. You act as if people carrying a concealed weapon in public is new. It's not. No one needs to break down the policy and how it would work because it has already been done.

Simple fact is, I live in a concealed carry state. My dad has a CCW license. He keeps a gun in his truck and when he is going somewhere that isnt a gun free zone he keeps one on him. Those suggesting teachers be allowed to conceal carry aren't laying out policy papers because to them it already has a working model.

And for all the complications you think there would be, try Googling information on conceal carry states. See if they have those complications. If so, point them out.

I don't see any policy papers from you in the opinions forum either.
Because when it comes to teachers carrying guns in schools, things are already done the way I would do them. The people supporting guns in schools are the ones supporting a change in policy, which implies that the burden of proving its feasibility rests with them.

You act as if people carrying a concealed weapon in public is new. It's not. No one needs to break down the policy and how it would work because it has already been done.
Um, we're not talking about concealed carry laws in general. We're talking about laws for the concealed carry of weapons in schools.

And for all the complications you think there would be, try Googling information on conceal carry states.
Again, we're talking about schools, not states.

How, for instance, would you deal with the problem of schools requesting a willingness to carry a concealed weapon and maintaining a certain proficiency with it as job requirements? Neither the willingness to carry a weapon nor maintaining proficiency with it actually affect a teacher's ability to do their job, but it is conceivable that this could become a deciding factor in appointing a new teacher. This, in turn, opens up the potential for schools to discriminate against teachers who are unwilling to carry weapons, despite their qualifications.

Similarly, if there is just one school in a town, and that school is open to having or requires teachers to carry weapons, then what alternative do you propose for parents who are uncomfortable or vehemently oppose the idea? Can you reasonably expect them to move their children to another school - possibly even moving their entrie family to another town - because of their opposition to the idea?

These might sound like hypotheticals, but the one thing I've noticed from the supporters of the idea is that they haven't addressed any of this. They act as if teachers carrying guns in schools is no big deal, because according to them, nothing changes. But they haven't even acknowledged the potential for issues like this to come up in the first place, and instead talk about statistics showing a correlation between permitting the concealed carrying of weapons and a decrease in violent crime, and present those as proof that the idea works.

And I don't understand why people who have experience carrying guns advocate the idea of carrying concealed weapons on school grounds when they don't even acknowledge the potential for a myriad of practical, legal and ethical problems to come to pass if teachers were entitled to carry concealed weapons.

You just say "teachers should be allowed to carry guns", bandy about some statistics on the link between private gun ownership and the link between violent crime, and then claim that you have proven your point. And perhaps you have, but I haven't seen you make any suggestions as to how you would go about implementing a policy of teachers carrying guns, much less how to deal with any problems that arise from it. All you do is refer back to statistics. I could probably use statistics to prove that the sky is green and the grass is blue if I asked enough six year-olds standing on their heads in the middle of a meadow what they say.

No I haven't. I've talked at length about the details of a gunfight with posted several examples about concealed permit holders using their firearms against armed opponents. And that was just the post before last.

But you don't seem to read my posts. :indiff:

Because when it comes to teachers carrying guns in schools, things are already done the way I would do them. The people supporting guns in schools are the ones supporting a change in policy, which implies that the burden of proving its feasibility rests with them.

You support gun free zones? You support teachers being stripped of their right to possess the means to defend their rights when they are in a school?

The places where most of these shootings happen?

I've proven the feasibility. I've posted examples of people with malicious intent being stopped by concealed weapons. There are currently colleges that permit concealed carry. Not a single time has anyone with a permit stood up in class and started shooting. Concealed carry has also shown to reduce crime and those who carry are statistically far less likely to commit a violent crime.

Um, we're not talking about concealed carry laws in general. We're talking about laws for the concealed carry of weapons in schools.

People already have the right to conceal weapons in public. Schools should be no different. Doesn't matter if you're parent or staff.

How, for instance, would you deal with the problem of schools requesting a willingness to carry a concealed weapon and maintaining a certain proficiency with it as job requirements? Neither the willingness to carry a weapon nor maintaining proficiency with it actually affect a teacher's ability to do their job, but it is conceivable that this could become a deciding factor in appointing a new teacher. This, in turn, opens up the potential for schools to discriminate against teachers who are unwilling to carry weapons, despite their qualifications.

I don't believe they should be forced to, unless they're private schools. Those schools can have whatever policy they choose. Teachers carrying weapons should not be required, just encouraged. They should be aware that they are the only one capable of defending a room full of other people's children. They best have a tool better than a textbook.

One or two people is a much bigger deterrent than a gun free zone and are also a good defensive measure.

Similarly, if there is just one school in a town, and that school is open to having or requires teachers to carry weapons, then what alternative do you propose for parents who are uncomfortable or vehemently oppose the idea? Can you reasonably expect them to move their children to another school - possibly even moving their entrie family to another town - because of their opposition to the idea?

Free market. Disagree with a place's business practices? You can go somewhere else. This is the same deal for any policy that a customer does not agree with.

These might sound like hypotheticals, but the one thing I've noticed from the supporters of the idea is that they haven't addressed any of this. They act as if teachers carrying guns in schools is no big deal, because according to them, nothing changes. But they haven't even acknowledged the potential for issues like this to come up in the first place, and instead talk about statistics showing a correlation between permitting the concealed carrying of weapons and a decrease in violent crime, and present those as proof that the idea works.

The classroom does not change except when someone shows up with a weapon trying to kill people. I take it you have very little experience with people carrying concealed weapons.

Once again, talked about much more than statistics.

That would be the point of them quoting research and statistics, which you just complained about. Do you want proof of feasibility or not?

As opposed to the many other places where kids are daily?

Schools are run by the states. Examples of concealed carry are on a state by state basis. You want proof of feasibility, it will come from state laws, as will the school decisions.

Again, looking at existing conceal carry rules, the proficiency requirements are in place for anyone wishing to obtain a permit. Rules vary state to state, but that would already be in place before a teacher could legally bring their gun into school. Again, not addressed because it is implied when people, who know what conceal carry means, talk about it.

And discriminating against non-gun owners? Seriously? From what I've seen from teachers unions and some parental groups it is more likely to go the other way. No one suggests every teacher be required to carry. It would be on a person to person basis based on their own choice. It costs money to obtain a conceal carry permit and take the required courses. The suggestion is that the restriction banning the guns be lifted for teachers, not that we give them police officer job requirements.

To clarify, when someone says teachers should be armed, they mean that teachers who have or want a conceal carry permit, under existing rules, be allowed to bring it to work too. If individual states, schools or districts require them to declare if they are carrying is up to each school.

[sarcasm] No, this issue was never brought up. Definitely not by that FoolKiller guy, just nine posts ago. [/sarcasm]

Read my response to Keef. I pointed this out as an issue that would need to be addressed first, as it is an issue with US public school systems in general. If you wish to discuss school choice, then by all means, but it is much bigger than this one issue.

These might sound like hypotheticals,
Because they are, by definition.

but the one thing I've noticed from the supporters of the idea is that they haven't addressed any of this. They act as if teachers carrying guns in schools is no big deal, because according to them, nothing changes. But they haven't even acknowledged the potential for issues like this to come up in the first place,
As I just pointed out, this is incorrect.

and instead talk about statistics showing a correlation between permitting the concealed carrying of weapons and a decrease in violent crime, and present those as proof that the idea works.
Would you prefer the example of a school that already allows it? Reread the thread. It's there. And the statistics point out examples that convince them it should work. Point out specifically where you think it differs, but I suggest knowing what conceal carry actually means.

No one is acting like there aren't issues to work out, but there are in all new policies. We can sit around and try to address every tiny little issue you can come up with, but in the end school rules are different state to state and city to city. There is no one solution to each issue and we are not lawyers able to sift through the piles of laws to that need to be taken into account.

I think if the school I attend is going to prohibit me from carrying a weapon there - then they have a responsibility to ensure my protection. If they cannot ensure my protection, then they have a responsibility to allow me to protect myself.

I think if the school I attend is going to prohibit me from carrying a weapon there - then they have a responsibility to ensure my protection. If they cannot ensure my protection, then they have a responsibility to allow me to protect myself.

Agreed

This is the exact argument that has spurred lawsuits against establishments that originally banned CCW. I don't have a source at the moment but some of these suits have been won while many places allowed CCW to avoid possible lawsuits.

Why should that be a job requirement?

I never said that this is a requirement. By "weeding it" it was meant as a measure as to which member of the staff can and cannot carry a gun into school.

Shouldn't students be taught by the best teachers, rather than the teachers who are willing to carry weapons on them? How are you going to explain the way you hired a poor teacher who was willing to carry a weapon instead of a good teacher who was not?

Agree, our children should be taught by the best that we have possible. It has no relevance if the said teacher is or is not a CCW. You hire the best from your list of applicants. A teacher willing to carry a gun for security purposes may not always be the best choice.

Except that parents who are not comfortable with teacher carrying weapons would no doubt insist that their children be taught by teachers who do not carry weapons. It wouldn't take long to work out which teachers are carrying and which are not.

I have to differ. They do not need to know. The teachers in Texas are packing, which ones we do not know, and the parents are fine with it. They are so fine with it, that parents are enrolling their children into this school, just for the added security. Would you want to alter the security of the armed staff by outright telling which teacher is packing ? When you are in line at the grocery store, do you or do you not know that the man standing behind you is a CCW. No, you do not. Is this aspect bothering you ? No, it is not. Why, because you are not thinking about it. Is your child scared as he / she stands in line with you right beside a CCW ? Why should it be any different in a school as to which teacher is carrying ? It's the same concept. You go into public and there are many CCW's out there. I don't see anyone putting up a fight here against public CCW. It's irrelevant to a teacher carrying in school.

You should come into my classroom some time. I'll introduce you to a group of fiteen year-old boys who hate school, resent any male influence in their life, and are generally stubborn, obstinate and uncooperative.

Sorry to hear that, but you can go anywhere and catch that same scenario. This difference is what ? Your in Australia, we are in the States. The kids still act the same regardless of where they live and what schools they attend.

t depends on the student in question and what they think of the teacher. Some might think that they can get the gun away from their teacher.

A lot has to do with the student in question, agreed. Once again I say to you, who in their right frame of mind would willingly attack an armed teacher. Especially if you are an unarmed student. Psycho Johnny might, but he would be stupid in doing so. At the first sign of an attack, the teacher pulls. This would stop this kid dead in his tracks (no pun intended). Would you as a would be attacker carry out an offensive move on a teacher who has you staring down the barrel of a 9 from 20 feet away ? I think not.

However, if a teacher has a concealed weapons permit I could see it being OK as long as they were required to have additional training and maintain a certain level of proficiency. I'd also say they would be required to be evaluated frequently too to make sure they are mentally sound to own a gun. If the teacher is going to open fire on someone attacking the classroom, they need to know what the hell they are doing so they don't miss and hit a kid directly, or have a ricochet hit a kid.

Granted these are things I think should be required of all people with concealed weapons permit. It would still allow anyone to have a gun, but at the same time make sure that those who are carrying guns actually know how to use it in a situation safely.

Exactly right. Teachers / staff / citizens should be evaluated on a yearly basis. Refresher courses are available.

Schools need better security. NOT teachers carrying guns. Teachers carrying guns around students is a TERRIBLE idea.

Instead of 20 people being killed, this leads to the possiblity of 100+ people being killed. Imagine a terrorist or group of people going room to room grabbing every gun from every teacher and just wiping an entire school out. This is such a terrible idea on so many levels.

Would you rather see a classroom full of kids cowering helplessly behind a desk, in fear for their lives, hoping and praying that they are not the next set of sitting ducks to be massacred ? Meanwhile the gunman is having his way killing all of your friends and laughing about it while doing so ? Would you not feel safer knowing that their is a teacher / member of the staff out their trying to protect your life ? Do you have a value on life ? Should the parents put a $$$ figure on their childs head all for the sake of child security ?

Did you go back and read Famines alteration ? How about Danoffs following post ?

Having a gun on the premises is a deterrent. Having only a couple of people who knows how to use the gun and have access to the safe greatly complicates the fish-in-a-barrel scenario for a would-be mass murderer. Even just one gun will slow him down and give the cops a chance to arrive. It can mean the difference between 20 dead or just 5. It can mean the difference between shooting up a school and choosing not to.

Look at Utah. Since they have implemented teachers carrying, when have you heard of any of these ?
* a student kills another student with a gun
* a student kills a teacher with a gun
* a teacher kills a student with a gun
* a teacher kills another teacher with a gun

You also need to look into the Texas school where parents are sending their children here for the added security of their child. It's obviously the path that the United States of America has chosen to go down. In an earlier post I gave several links as to what is going on here to back this up. It may not be the right path, but it is the chosen one, America is speaking out. We have to do something. Don't think for one minute that we have heard the last of school shootings here in the states. If you do think so, you are sadly mistaken.

What it all boils down to is this, schools need more security. There are many different ways to go about setting up that security. One thing that will NOT and NEVER has worked is passing gun control legislation. The biggest flaw with gun control is this, it only affects those who obey the law. If I want to murder people, I don't care that you say I'm not allowed to have a gun. Also, I don't care about your 'no weapons' sign posted on the front door. Drugs have been illegal for how long now? I don't see any shortage of drugs despite them being illegal. Since clearly gun control is an easy BS solution to make politicians seem like they're trying to help, let's move on to a real solution.

Schools need security. I'm not talking one unarmed rent-a-cop standing outside the door with a can of pepper spray either. Easiest way to go about security is this, one entry/exit point ONLY. Everyone that comes in or out of the building must pass through an ECP (entry control point). This ECP should be locked as well. Only the security guard/cop can open said door. Ideally there should be at least two armed guards manning the ECP and preferably a third monitoring from a remote location.

This will eliminate 99% of the problem. The biggest reason? It's a deterrent. Most people who commit these mass murders are cowards. The majority of the time when the police show up they either off themselves or surrender. These murderers pick their target locations for a reason, there's nobody to stop them. Does it ever occur to gun control advocates that every mass shooting occurs in a 'gun free zone'? Apparently they thought the guy who walked into a school with the intent of murdering as many children as he could would see the 'no guns' sign on the door and have a change of heart. When was the last time you heard of a mass shooting at an NRA convention or a gun show? Gee I wonder why somebody wouldn't attempt to shoot up people who have the ability to defend themselves?

Not to sound too morbid here, but I must explain the truth to those who wish to ignore it. The world we live in can be very cruel. There are people out there who will do evil things for what seems like no reason at all. It is a part of who we are as humans. Human beings have been killing each other since the beginning of time. They do it for God, for country, out of pure emotion or whatever excuse they can use to justify it.

In all reality if a person is smart enough and motivated enough there is no amount of legislation or control measures you can put in place to stop something like this from occurring. Look at 9/11, not one shot was fired and it is the biggest mass killing to ever occur on American soil. Look once more at the OKC bombing, again not a shot fired and over 100 people killed. I hate to sound morbid but the government and police can't protect you every second of every day. All you can do is be responsible for your own safety and the safety of your family at any given moment. If you really value your life, quit pretending like gun control is going to solve the worlds problems and learn how to be a responsible gun owner and protect yourself should you ever find yourself in such a situation.

In all reality if a person is smart enough and motivated enough there is no amount of legislation or control measures you can put in place to stop something like this from occurring. Look at 9/11, not one shot was fired and it is the biggest mass killing to ever occur on American soil. Look once more at the OKC bombing, again not a shot fired and over 100 people killed. I hate to sound morbid but the government and police can't protect you every second of every day. All you can do is be responsible for your own safety and the safety of your family at any given moment. If you really value your life, quit pretending like gun control is going to solve the worlds problems and learn how to be a responsible gun owner and protect yourself should you ever find yourself in such a situation.

Well said.

Just something off the wall, I love Dave Mustaine and all but...

[/tinfoil]

It is provocative though, not that Obama would stage a school massacre, but he sure seems to use one to further his agenda.

This has nothing to do with teachers having guns, but if you insist...

I like Megadeath too, but this is ignorant to me. I don't chase after conspiracies. Perhaps he's a person who does? Maybe he was just high? Also you have to realize a lot of celebs often think they are much more intelligent than what they are and try to get all 'deep' and psychological, most of the time stepping beyond their intelligence level.

The only thing I will say as far as a conspiracy is this. Have you ever seen V For Vendetta? The political party that became the oppressors came to power through fear, much like Hitler. In the movie they created panic and terror by launching biological attacks on their own people and blaming it on a terrorist cell. They then came and saved the day by catching the terrorists and bringing them to justice. Am I saying mass shootings in America have anything to do with some sort of government conspiracy? No. Do I suspect 9/11 was staged in order to launch the 'War on Terror'? No. I guess if you get nothing else out of this, it's not a bad idea to keep your eyes and ears open.

No. If I was a student at an elementary school, and I found out that teachers carried guns, I'd be scared to death. Not only by the teachers themselves, but by the recognition by the teachers of a serious threat. Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to improve mental health care instead of buying thousands of guns for teachers?

One more point: Columbine had armed guards. Fat lot of good it did.

You wouldn't recognize and interpret the signs of being afraid. You would be afraid of the gun if it was out, but if it was in a gun safe you wouldn't know what it was. You could put the safe in a cabinet or under a fish tank.

I would recommend that the gun be kept inside the waistband. Teachers can't wear tight clothes anyways so there isn't much of danger of printing.

Inside Waistband holster holsters inside the waistband. ;)

Those ones are nice and concealable, but I find they bulge your pants out. I prefer the OWB variety myself.

Even in the summer, an OWB holster can be concealed pretty easily with a longer tee-shirt or a button-down shirt or something.

I tried a vertical shoulder holster for a bit and didn't like it very much. Costly, takes time to put it together and fit it, and not very concealable.

prisonermonkeys
Except that parents who are not comfortable with teacher carrying weapons would no doubt insist that their children be taught by teachers who do not carry weapons. It wouldn't take long to work out which teachers are carrying and which are not.
I have to differ. They do not need to know.
You don't think they have a right to know?

Why should it be any different in a school as to which teacher is carrying ?
Perhaps because you may stand in line behind someone at the checkout for six minutes. You child, however, will spend six hours every day with that person. And unlike that person in line at the checkout, teachers play an important role in the development of children.

At the first sign of an attack, the teacher pulls. This would stop this kid dead in his tracks (no pun intended). Would you as a would be attacker carry out an offensive move on a teacher who has you staring down the barrel of a 9 from 20 feet away ? I think not
I have met entire classes that I would not turn my back to during the course of a lesson if I didn't have to write stuff on the board simply because I know how disruptive they can be. And sometimes the distance from me to them is closer to three feet, because I don't just stand at the front of the classroom and talk. I like to move about the room, particularly when I've set a task.

You're assuming that "Psycho Johnny" will put no thought into what he does and simply charge at the teacher from the back of the room. But what if the teacher is in the middle of the room, crouched between rows of desks so as to be at eye level with a student, with someone sitting in another desk nearby so that they effectively block the exit, and Psycho Johnny is within a few feet of the teacher? It's a position I have been in many a time - without Psycho Johnny - so that I can direct the learning of individual students. I do it, and I've seen dozens of other teachers who do it, too.

Perhaps because you may stand in line behind someone at the checkout for six minutes. You child, however, will spend six hours every day with that person. And unlike that person in line at the checkout, teachers play an important role in the development of children.

This sounds familiar to me. Where have I heard it before? Oh that's right, during civil rights debates in the 1960s and gay rights debates in the 1990s/early 2000s.

Now, how does someone who owns a gun's ability to be a teacher differ from someone who doesn't? How is their owning a gun and carrying it in a concealed manner affecting the development of that child? Because right now, all I see is prejudice against a demographic group you don't like and/or understand. That may be because you used an argument that ignorant bigots have used in the past, which may have just caused me to misinterpret what you said, so I'll give you an opportunity to explain.

Now, how does someone who owns a gun's ability to be a teacher differ from someone who doesn't? How is their owning a gun and carrying it in a concealed manner affecting the development of that child?
Did I say anything claiming that a) teachers who are gun owners are somehow different to teachers who are not gun owners, or that b) owning and carrying a concealed weapon affects the development of a child?

I did not.

Perhaps you should re-read my post again. Nicksfix suggested that teachers should be entitled to carry concealed weapons in the classroom, and that parents should have no need to know which teachers are carrying and which teachers are not - even if those parents are vehemently opposed to teachers carrying weapons and do not want their children being taught by those teachers. He suggested that a student's relationship to a teacher is no different to a student's relationship to someone standing in line at a supermarket, which is in no way the case.

Even if you take the "what they don't know can't hurt them" line with parents and put their children in class with teachers who are carrying concealed weapons or not carrying concealed weapons irrespective of the parents' actual wishes, all it is going to take is one kid seeing - or even thinking - that their teacher carries a weapon and telling all their friends, who repeat it to their parents. How would a school administrator explain the way they ignored a parent's wish to keep their children away from teachers carrying weapons?

TyrrellRacing
Surely the biggest concern here is that the students could get then gun rather than the fact they might be scared by it ?

That's generally the concern of most teachers I know. My wife's of two minds in the matter: protect thyself, or go down in shame knowing you've armed someone to potentially do their worst. After all, even correctional officers, armed guards,and policemen are wrested of their weapons from time to time.

In the end, the STILL INFINITESIMAL chances of another attack aren't worth it, in her mind.

Security guards and police officers carry their guns on hip holsters. I think that a concealed weapon in an inside-the-waistband holster that can only be accessed after pulling up a layer of clothing will be much harder to wrongfully get a hold of.

Back