The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

Tbh I believe first hand info from trusted real world friends far more than some random online activists rantings.

Speaking personally, my friend group is basically evenly split on both sides of the political spectrum. Half of them lean left, half of them lean right, and every single one of them really suck at looking into a story or event before trying to pass it off as fact.

It is a very valid point that many have no idea what life’s really like in bad areas period.
My father grew up in such an area. He moved away.
Those bars on the windows are there for a reason.
The culture in these areas is sick. Jim might be angry and confrontational but it’s not like it isn’t like that.

Nobody is denying these areas exist. What is dishonest, intellectually or otherwise, is to claim that this is life in every inner city across North America, as @killerjimbag has done. Of course, if Jim has actual, objective proof that...

There are more gangs and better guns than the cops have. That is a fact.

...as well as proof that his/his friends experiences in their corner of Canada are the same in every inner city in North America, than I will concede, happily so too, since I've learned something new.

If not, than he's fear mongering, which is both highly dangerous, and a violation of the AUP.

On a similar level, I will extend my previous question to you as well: Have you ever thought about why it is that in these low-income neighborhoods, the population is primarily blacks and other ethnic minorities?

To read many online it’s like they are in a theoretical world where in impoverished areas people are innocent and all good moral folks respecting each other.

You're basically saying that if you live in a low-income area, you're a criminal with no morals who has no respect for anybody. Sweeping generalizations like that is how we get our countries current situation.

My grandfathers house was a bit above the impoverished area.
Gunfire every single night. Reality.

His reality, not everybody's.

I could tell you about how my grandmother lived in a portion of St. Pete that's pretty much all Section 8 housing, right up until her death. I could tell you about how in the 20+ years she lived there, nobody paid her any mind (if anything, everyone avoided pissing her off), everybody did their own thing, and as I recall the police only came to her neighborhood once for a gun-related incident. I could tell you about how my sibling and their family live there now, and not only have the same experience as my grandmother, but have built up a solid rapport with their fellow neighbors, almost all of whom are also black, despite it being a Section 8 neighborhood.

However, since these are anecdotal events, they're not a basis for how all low-income neighborhoods in North America are like, and me saying otherwise would be extremely dishonest.

Being black doesn't mean you can't be racist. I mean, Fresh Prince is 30 years old now, but come on:

Very true, and I identify with that scene immensely. How Carlton is treated was basically me in High School, but with significantly less confidence at the time.

Also see: everyone calling Terry Crews white right now, for suggesting black and white need to work together.

I think this is a part of being black in America that's often overlooked. Not only do we have to deal with the leftovers and after-effects of systematic racism, as well as actual racist individuals, but for those who wish to break the stereotypes, we also have to deal with our own people disowning us because we're not "black enough."

NASCAR have banned the confederate flag at events and the twitter meltdown is wonderful.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nascar-bans-confederate-flags-its-events-n1229506
The fact people are getting their panties in a wad and literally boycotting NASCAR because NASCAR banned a flag which represents white people owning black people seems shocking, in 2020. But then again places like Alabama and West Virginia and Arkansas exist. So maybe not so shocking.

This is like the old Republican dads boycotting Nike over featuring Kaepernick in an ad, but worse.

Larson says the N-word: Who cares? That doesn't make him a racist. Blacks say it all the time. People need to stop being oversensitive and getting triggered over everything.

NASCAR bans rebel flag: MUH SOUTHERN HERITAGE! MUH FIRST AMENDMENT! REEEEEEE

You're basically saying that if you live in a low-income area, you're a criminal with no morals who has no respect for anybody. Sweeping generalizations like that is how we get our countries current situation

Straw man. What I’m saying is that a lot of folks reasoning seems to me to presume that all in a certain group are innocent law abiding citizens and that’s not true of any group of people I can think of atm.

Nobody is denying these areas exist. What is dishonest, intellectually or otherwise, is to claim that this is life in every inner city across North America, as @killerjimbag has done. Of course, if Jim has actual, objective proof

Seemed obvious enough to me he was discussing the typical bad areas that anyone honest knows are there, rather anyone who has been knows, others don’t as he pointed out.
I think there’s s good chance many people have not been to these areas, by the way they comment on them. They make it sound as if the police are an evil force of racist warriors up to no good.
That’s simply not the case.

His reality, not everybody's

Right, and I just looked up the crime rate there and it’s one of the highest in the USA, obviously not everywhere can take that title so to speak, not everywhere is that bad.
The article in post 640 is kinda in line with how I look at this.
Social media news focus all that causes a distortion of people’s perception of the facts.
So people end up hating police, which are people doing a necessary job, instead of asking why there’s so much crime or how to create more jobs.

Edit with all the passion people have right now I think it would be great to take that energy and focus it on job creation, training, education etc. what’s happened is ACAB and defund and paint slogans. It’s a letdown.

Last edited:
Here you tell me this man isn't saying what I have. If I hear another British response excuse me while I chuckle.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020...-cuts-made-cleveland-unbelievably-unsafe.html
Says the Canadian who moved the goalposts literally all over the globe (even as far as Zimbabwe) in an attempt to push his anti-black agenda and then tries to restrict which other countries' citizens can respond on a public site. Chuckle away, we'll be laughing harder.

Scott, a prominent African American ally of President Donald Trump, told the House Judiciary Committee that racial profiling and harsh police treatment of minorities should be immediately eliminated, but he doesn’t “recommend throwing the baby out with the bathwater by labeling all police officers as bad cops."
Yeah, strawman right there.

Last edited:
NASCAR have banned the confederate flag at events and the twitter meltdown is wonderful.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nascar-bans-confederate-flags-its-events-n1229506

I always found it funny how NASCAR fans, the ones who are all about winning, want to fly a flag that represents the biggest bunch of racist losers in American history.

Also, the number of people that think racism is somehow political blows my mind. I just picture a bunch of slack-jawed, drooling yokels gurning at their smartphones while typing messages riddled with grammar and spelling errors.

If I hear another British response excuse me while I chuckle.

Says the guy living in a country that still respects the authority of the Queen.

Says the Canadian who moved the goalposts all over the globe (even as far as Zimbabwe) in an attempt to push his anti-black agenda and then tries to restrict which other countries' citizens can respond on a public site. Chuckle away, we'll be laughing harder.
Dude my black friend is laughing his ass off having a beer with me right now. Ironic. You know what I'm going to video him tomorrow.

Trust me he
44q1yz.jpg

NASCAR bans rebel flag: MUH SOUTHERN HERITAGE! MUH FIRST AMENDMENT! REEEEEEE
And that's the reason why racism will never be solved. A lot of those living in the south are still stuck in the past and don't want to change their views. Their attitudes are quite poor towards minorities and are unacceptable in this day and age.

Iirc it's been banned from promotional goods and car liveries for some time, they even have swap-stations where you can trade your Confederate flag for a US one. This final ban is on flags in the crowd, I think. That's going to be a **** storm although it will finally legitimise minority rioting in the Deep South.

Says the guy living in a country that still respects the authority of the Queen.

Oi! Not all of us accept the kingdom or subject status! :)

Maybe you should get your friend to help you type.

They're obviously too busy high-fiving or recreating Ebony and Ivory on this old piano, keyboard, oh lord why don'

Straw man. What I’m saying is that a lot of folks reasoning seems to me to presume that all in a certain group are innocent law abiding citizens and that’s not true of any group of people I can think of atm.

Seemed obvious enough to me he was discussing the typical bad areas that anyone honest knows are there, rather anyone who has been knows, others don’t as he pointed out.
I think there’s s good chance many people have not been to these areas, by the way they comment on them. They make it sound as if the police are an evil force of racist warriors up to no good.
The only person talking in absolutes here is you, and you have done so repeatedly.

I grew up in a sink estate, and it's not a strawman to infer from your posts that you are describing everyone in certain places as the same, that's quite literally what you are doing.

A load of waffle before the tone-deaf. manifest destiny bit.

...instead of asking why there’s so much crime or how to create more jobs.
What a novel idea, asking why there's so much crime or how to create jobs, I wonder why no one has thought about that before?

I do have to actually wonder what you were thinking when you posted that, do you honestly believe that these communities have not been doing just that for decades? Of course, they have, and they have been ignored and further marginalised for decades, that part of the ****ing problem. Do you not understand just how damn insulting it is to say that, attitudes and assumptions like that firmly make you a part of this very problem.

Edit with all the passion people have right now I think it would be great to take that energy and focus it on job creation, training, education etc. what’s happened is ACAB and defund and paint slogans. It’s a letdown.
Oh look you doubled down on it.

You're as bad as the 'Muslim no-go area' lot.

Here you tell me this man isn't saying what I have. If I hear another British response excuse me while I chuckle.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020...-cuts-made-cleveland-unbelievably-unsafe.html
You're Canadian not American, and yet you feel mandated to tell other non-Americans that they aren't able to comment. Bizzare.

Oh and defund doesn't mean cut all the money, come back when you actually understand what it means.

...All this "my friends are black ergo I'm not a racist" thing reminds me of a stand-up Sean Lock did regarding that very subject. Let me search the ever-useful Youtube for the clip.

Since he's talking about a few things in here, let me just quote the relevant bit (paraphrasing, obvs):

"Having black friends means I'm not a racist. It's the same thing as saying, I'm not a pedophile because I have children as friends..."

Yes, it's called "Innocent until Proven Guilty," which is also applicable when talking to your fellow man. People generally appreciate it when you don't think that they're up to no good before even speaking with them, just because of where they live, or what their background is.

This may be hard to believe, but it's really, really annoying to be told "hey, I was intimidated by you until you started actually talking" when you meant no ill-will at all.

Then he should've properly claimed as such, not tried to fear-monger, claim that what he experiences in his corner is life in the inner city across the entire continent, and then get surprised when called out on it.

They make it sound as if the police are an evil force of racist warriors up to no good.

It seems that you're completely missing the point as to why people are actually upset with the police, then, even though the reason people are currently upset with police has been pointed out multiple times in this thread.

Social media news focus all that causes a distortion of people’s perception of the facts.

And exactly what facts are we missing? What facts from George Floyd's death are being left out? 'Cause to me, it seems pretty clear what the important facts surrounding his detainment and death are.

So people end up hating police, which are people doing a necessary job, instead of asking why there’s so much crime or how to create more jobs.

:lol:

"Oh, gosh darn it, these silly black people are yelling about being treated respectfully and holding police accountable again. Why don't they do something useful, like get a damn job?"

I don't know what you do for a living, but let's say someone in your company effed up in a way that got you killed, and there was a known history of such incidents happening at your job. Inquiries into these incidents led to a noticeable lack in disciplinary action. How would you feel if your family tried to hold your place of employment, the people who are also responsible for your safety, accountable, only to have them hand-wave away your families complaints and inquiries?

So rallying to have police accountable, reduce misuse of power incidents, and overall campaign for a better society is a "letdown," then?

Edit: Oh, and @killerjimbag , you've yet to answer my question, or offer objective, factual evidence that your experiences are the same in every inner city on the continent.

Last edited:
Apparently some right-wing enthusiasts are getting bent out of shape that Rage Against the Machine is getting "all political" over the police brutality. Tom Morello's reaction has been priceless, as has many of the fans chiming in.

"Scott" has since deleted his Tweet, but this is what it said:

Music is my sanctuary and the last thing I want to hear is political BS when I’m listening to music,” the deleted tweet read. “As far as I’m concerned you and Pink are completely done. Keep running your mouth and ruining your fan base.

Just imagine putting Pink and RATM together, no wonder he deleted his Tweet.

I think unfortuantely the issue of racism is too big a problem for people to solve. You see problems with racial predjudice all around the wrold and nothing is done about it most of the time. That doesn't mean we can't try to be better, but how we try to be better is important.

There's a video doing the orunds here of two white police officers aprehending a suspect getting beaten up by a gang of black youths with one of them taking a selfie with it happening in the background. Obviosuely they don't represent all black people, but what that cop did to George Floyd doesn't represent all white people. Does this attack on the two police officers signify increased racial tension? I personally think it does, not to an extreme scale yet, but I think there are some worrying signs appearing.

The way these protests have gone and seeing events like the above, I fear it is pushing some people in the wrong direction. Now I understand the looting and riots aren't the BLM cause, they are opportunistic anarchists, but they are being associated with that movement and that's not a good thing. Then you have the statues being pulled down and vandalised, again not good for the message. Now you've got local authorities promising to remove a load of statues just beucase they are on a list of offensive statues. Another "not very good" move.

It's good that the protests intially sparked a debate, a very important debate, but the mob rule mentality cannot be bowed to, it never should be because where does it stop. What needs to happen in these areas where these statues exist is conversation and debate among the local communities. Then a demoncartic decision needs to made. It doesn't matter to me one bit if a statue is removed because it's deemed offensive, or a road renamed becuase of offensive conations it may have, but how it is decided to be removed/changed is important to me. If the decision is to remove it after an informed debate then so be it.

We have to consider recent cultural significance, not just the name on the plaque. If we are to just overrule everything else beucase something has a link to slavery no matter how long ago that was, then where do we stop? Do we pull down the pyramids next?

Take William Gladstone for example, he's a person appearing in the news a lot at the moment since the University of Liverpool have deicded to rename a building currnetly named after him due to links with slavery. And I find this a very interesting example of where just reacting in the moment isn't the best thing. William Gladstones family were involved in slavery not him directly, however as a younger politiciian he supported slavery to a certain degree. Over the course of his life, his views against the slave trade grew to the point he campaigned to improve conditions and support for slaves. He was actually anti-slave trade.

So are we now saying that his reforming of character doesn't undo the views one had as a younger man? Or should we instead celebrate when a person who had the wrong view once changed?

Now what the Univertiy of Liverpool name a building doesn't imapct me one iota, but to change the name just because Gladstone once supported slvery in some way is a mistake. Do you ignore any good he did?

It's not educating people and the message it's sending out in my opinion is that once labeleld that's it, there is no point in changing for the better because you're previous label is what will define you. He is also being labeled by a numbe rof people becuase of what his family did, which again isn't fair or just.

If I held a wrong view about something 20 years ago but became better educated on it, would it be right for me to still be treated as wrong? If you made an innaprioriate joke once, should you as a person be considered racist all your life because of that?

Slavery obviousely is a very important topic, but we need to discuss, debate and educate, not react on a whim because those people in power are scared of incorrectly being labeled racist by not removing these staues or renaming these roads, buildings and landmarks. That completely disregards other cultural heritigage without any opposition and opposition is a good thing if it's informed.

We also need to be careful of how much we judge people and culture of the past by todays standards. They are not comparable. At the same time we have to respect what genuinely causes offence, but we can do this without bowing to mob rule or reacting in the moment out of fear.

So back to Gladstone, by all means, rename that building, but do it after a period of eduction, discussion and debate, not on a whim. A debate may find that it's not neccessary to change the name, or it may find it is, but that's the best way to cause the l

My fear is all of this reactionism is giving certian elements of society a shove so to speak and it could prompt a shove back, because certian things are going too far. And it boils down to a lack of control, the peaceful protests are fine, but the police should be stopping the looting and vandalising that has been taking place. The fact they can't is the governments responsability not BLM but that point can easilly get lost or missed.

I respect the peacful protests, I certainly support not juding people based on race, religion, colour, political views etc. What is good about this whole affair is it has sparked debate, this thread for example wouldn't exist otherwise, but there is far too much reactionism going on right now.

Last edited:
I do have to actually wonder what you were thinking when you posted that

If you mean this that came in your post quote it appears you made an error constructing your post since these are not my words: (for some reason they are in your quote so you made a mistake.)
I never wrote that.

@NotThePrez you asked what facts? Maybe you missed this in my post 395.
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf
Many folks look at social media and news etc and form their viewpoint based on that, but as I already stated that’s a distortion from a truth about crime (murder)
That’s what I meant, and it was further supported by the link I posted here.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...h-toll-gun-control-officers-a8777046.html?amp

Also, in response to your last post yes I think job creation is important.

Last edited:
If you mean this that came in your post quote it appears you made an error constructing your post since these are not my words: (for some reason they are in your quote so you made a mistake.)
I never wrote that.
I know I did, I was referring to the part after it, this bit to be specific "...instead of asking why there’s so much crime or how to create more jobs."

To which I replied:

What a novel idea, asking why there's so much crime or how to create jobs, I wonder why no one has thought about that before?

I do have to actually wonder what you were thinking when you posted that, do you honestly believe that these communities have not been doing just that for decades? Of course, they have, and they have been ignored and further marginalised for decades, that part of the ****ing problem. Do you not understand just how damn insulting it is to say that, attitudes and assumptions like that firmly make you a part of this very problem.

@NotThePrez you asked what facts? Maybe you missed this in my post 395.
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf
Many folks look at social media and news etc and form their viewpoint based on that, but as I already stated that’s a distortion from a truth about crime (murder)
That’s what I meant, and it was further supported by the link I posted here.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/police-shootings-us-death-toll-gun-control-officers-a8777046.html?amp
What exactly do you think you are actually saying here, that it's all in peoples heads?
That it's not a problem because the numbers don't vary much?

I will quote Will Smith to you (odd but true), "Racism hasn't got worse, it's just getting filmed" In other words its always been this way if you black!

We know its always been a problem, and you attempt to hand-wave that away with 'you only think its bad because of social media' and 'well at least the police aren't shooting more people'! Do you honestly think that's of any comfort to the people who are 3 to 4 times more likely to die at the hands of the police?

I think unfortuantely the issue of racism is too big a problem for people to solve. You see problems with racial predjudice all around the wrold and nothing is done about it most of the time. That doesn't mean we can't try to be better, but how we try to be better is important.

There's a video doing the orunds here of two white police officers aprehending a suspect getting beaten up by a gang of black youths with one of them taking a selfie with it happening in the background. Obviosuely they don't represent all black people, but what that cop did to George Floyd doesn't represent all white people. Does this attack on the two police officers signify increased racial tension? I personally think it does, not to an extreme scale yet, but I think there are some worrying signs appearing.

The way these protests have gone and seeing events like the above, I fear it is pushing some people in the wrong direction. Now I understand the looting and riots aren't the BLM cause, they are opportunistic anarchists, but they are being associated with that movement and that's not a good thing. Then you have the statues being pulled down and vandalised, again not good for the message. Now you've got local authorities promising to remove a load of statues just beucase they are on a list of offensive statues. Another "not very good" move.

It's good that the protests intially sparked a debate, a very important debate, but the mob rule mentality cannot be bowed to, it never should be because where does it stop. What needs to happen in these areas where these statues exist is conversation and debate among the local communities. Then a demoncartic decision needs to made. It doesn't matter to me one bit if a statue is removed because it's deemed offensive, or a road renamed becuase of offensive conations it may have, but how it is decided to be removed/changed is important to me. If the decision is to remove it after an informed debate then so be it.

We have to consider recent cultural significance, not just the name on the plaque. If we are to just overrule everything else beucase something has a link to slavery no matter how long ago that was, then where do we stop? Do we pull down the pyramids next?

Take William Gladstone for example, he's a person appearing in the news a lot at the moment since the University of Liverpool have deicded to rename a building currnetly named after him due to links with slavery. And I find this a very interesting example of where just reacting in the moment isn't the best thing. William Gladstones family were involved in slavery not him directly, however as a younger politiciian he supported slavery to a certain degree. Over the course of his life, his views against the slave trade grew to the point he campaigned to improve conditions and support for slaves. He was actually anti-slave trade.

So are we now saying that his reforming of character doesn't undo the views one had as a younger man? Or should we instead celebrate when a person who had the wrong view once changed?

Now what the Univertiy of Liverpool name a building doesn't imapct me one iota, but to change the name just because Gladstone once supported slvery in some way is a mistake. Do you ignore any good he did?

It's not educating people and the message it's sending out in my opinion is that once labeleld that's it, there is no point in changing for the better because you're previous label is what will define you. He is also being labeled by a numbe rof people becuase of what his family did, which again isn't fair or just.

If I held a wrong view about something 20 years ago but became better educated on it, would it be right for me to still be treated as wrong? If you made an innaprioriate joke once, should you as a person be considered racist all your life because of that?

Slavery obviousely is a very important topic, but we need to discuss, debate and educate, not react on a whim because those people in power are scared of incorrectly being labeled racist by not removing these staues or renaming these roads, buildings and landmarks. That completely disregards other cultural heritigage without any opposition and opposition is a good thing if it's informed.

We also need to be careful of how much we judge people and culture of the past by todays standards. They are not comparable. At the same time we have to respect what genuinely causes offence, but we can do this without bowing to mob rule or reacting in the moment out of fear.

So back to Gladstone, by all means, rename that building, but do it after a period of eduction, discussion and debate, not on a whim. A debate may find that it's not neccessary to change the name, or it may find it is, but that's the best way to cause the l

My fear is all of this reactionism is giving certian elements of society a shove so to speak and it could prompt a shove back, because certian things are going too far. And it boils down to a lack of control, the peaceful protests are fine, but the police should be stopping the looting and vandalising that has been taking place. The fact they can't is the governments responsability not BLM but that point can easilly get lost or missed.

I respect the peacful protests, I certainly support not juding people based on race, religion, colour, political views etc. What is good about this whole affair is it has sparked debate, this thread for example wouldn't exist otherwise, but there is far too much reactionism going on right now.

Basically one long slippery slope logical fallacy.

Are you sure it wasn't you on GMB with Piers yesterday?

No, it will not lead to the tearing down of the Pyramids (because for the main part they were not built by slaves) and yes it should force a conversation about who we do and do not commemorate in the form of statues and other monuments.

I have personally signed the petitions that did the rounds in regards to Colston's statue (I live locally and work in Bristol from time to time, in addition, my daughter and son-in-law live in the city), the ones that tory counsellors have vetoed every time for decades. As such the forced removal of the statue was something I was personally happy to see, it has no place in modern Bristol. Where it should be is in a museum in the city that addresses its past as the second-largest slaving port in the UK.

Now you may see slavery and the people who carried it out as a part of our cultural heritage that needs immortalising (as that's what statues do), I don't I see it as a part of our cultural heritage that needs to be learnt from, and that's what education and museums do (and statues do not).

Are you for example aware that school kids used to be taken to the statue and told to throw flowers on it, and I'm not talking about the dark distant past here, I'm talking about well within living memory? The reason being that they were never told (because statues don't provide context - people assume they are honorific), so assumed he was a good man, not a man responsible for the death of 19,000 innocent people and the selling of near 90,000.

Now I've also done a quick search here on GTP and I don't seem to be able to find you have the same issue when they tore down the statues of Jimmy Saville? What about the criminal defacement of the plaque that was outside Saville's former home? Or are these a different part of our cultural heritage?

Last edited:
Apparently some right-wing enthusiasts are getting bent out of shape that Rage Against the Machine is getting "all political" over the police brutality. Tom Morello's reaction has been priceless, as has many of the fans chiming in.

"Scott" has since deleted his Tweet, but this is what it said:

Just imagine putting Pink and RATM together, no wonder he deleted his Tweet.

People don't dislike celebrities utilizing their fame and following as a platform for political causes. People only have a problem when it's a cause that they don't support themselves.

I love the music of Ted Nugent. I don't agree with quite a bit of what Ted Nugent says.

Ted is very, very, very vocal about politics, at one point publicly suggesting that he'd end up dead or in prison if Barack Obama got elected to a second term; this prompted an investigation by the Secret Service, who determined it to likely have been hyperbole.

I actually saw Ted in concert that year. I'd wanted to see him live at some point and I was able to jump on the chance. He took a moment during the show to speak about things going on in the country. I don't recall just what he said, but I also don't recall it being particularly incendiary. What I do recall was him not being booed off the stage (like The Dixie Chicks or John Mellencamp; yeah, John Mellencamp) for having taken that moment. The music continued and I enjoyed what followed that moment as much as I enjoyed what preceded it.

People have a problem with the message, not the platform.

Laura Ingraham just praised Drew Brees for speaking against Colin Kaepernick's taking a knee before the flag. Ingraham had this to say about criticism of Brees' remarks:

Laura Ingraham
Well, he's allowed to have his view about what kneeling and the flag means to him. He has some worth, I imagine. I mean, this is beyond football, though. This is totalitarian conduct. This is Stalinist.
Sure, Laura, criticism of a member of the public by other members of the public is "totalitarian conduct".

Mind you, this is the same Laura Ingraham who had remarks for LeBron James after he said Trump "doesn't really give a **** about the people."

Laura Ingraham
It's always unwise to seek political advice from someone who gets paid $100 million a year to bounce a ball. Keep the political comments to yourselves. ... Shut up and dribble.
I'll take 'Double Standards' for $200, Alex.

Sure, Brees is white and James is black, but I'm pretty confident it's just a matter of Ingraham agreeing with one and not the other.

There's a video doing the orunds here of two white police officers aprehending a suspect getting beaten up by a gang of black youths with one of them taking a selfie with it happening in the background. Obviosuely they don't represent all black people, but what that cop did to George Floyd doesn't represent all white people. Does this attack on the two police officers signify increased racial tension? I personally think it does, not to an extreme scale yet, but I think there are some worrying sings appearing.

Take William Gladstone for example, he's a person appearing in the news a lot at the moment since the University of Liverpool have deicded to rename a building currnetly named after him due to links with slavery. And I find this a very interesting example of where IMO it is going too far, becuase William Gladstones family were involved in slavery not him directly. As a younger politiciian he supported slavery to a certain degree, however over the course of his life, his views changed to the point he campaigned to improve conditions and support for slaves. He was actually anti-slave trade.

So are we now saying that his reforming of character doesn't undo the views he hadas a younger man? Or should we instead celebrate that here is aman who had the wrong view once, but changed? Now what the Univertiy of Liverpool name a building doesn't imapct me one iota, but to change the name just because Gladstone once supported slvery is a mistake. It's not educating people and the message it's sending out in my opinion is that once labeleld that's it, there is no point in changing for the better beucase you're previous label is what will define you. He is also being labeled by a numbe rof people becuase of what his family did, which again isn't fair or just.

I appreciate that you may not have clear intent to deflect as others do, and I agree with a bit of what you're saying, but I'm compelled to point out that you at no point spoke of police brutality or the corrupt culture that allows officers who have sworn to protect to not be held accountable for the unjustifiable killings of the people they're supposed to be protecting.

Everyone deserves an equal opportunity for justice, and cops getting away with criminal conduct makes that impossible, the color of everyone else's skin notwithstanding.

No. Some comparative equivalence would be necessary for that, and I don't see it.
Irony doesn't need a direct comparison in terms of magnitude to work.

People are making a martyr out of a career criminal who did unsavoury things in one instance and are calling for the removal of statues of people who did unsavoury things in another.

It's of little matter that one action was more repugnant than the other.

TenEightyOne
There are things that I could very well have said and done in the 1980s that I would not dream of saying or doing now. We evolve, we learn, we are society.
So judging you with 2020 specs on what you said and did in the eighties means we should, as a society, hold a lesser opinion on you now.

If you did something worthy of creating a statue over should we not build it because of those words and actions in the eighties?

TenEightyOne
You're misunderstanding your own words there, although in my opinion it wouldn't be the first time. Khan thinks he won't remove the statue of Churchill, but you think that means it's "safe". I won't be robbing a post office in the next few weeks but I don't imagine they're all "safe".
I don't understand the post office analogy - I meant safe as in safe from removal.

TenEightyOne
I think the problem is that you're misunderstanding the meaning and purpose of statues. Remembering a person is one thing, venerating some of their actions is another, but holding them up in public view as statues suggests that veneration is mandatory. Any questioning of those memorial installations is, as I see in your own posting, considered by some to be unbroachable. Churchill, Gandhi and Malcolm X were all figures who had great success in some ways but were also quite mad racists in others. We should remember - they're part of our cultural heritage and we should learn from them. That isn't the same as the authorities casting them in bronze so that we can shove them into peoples' eyelines.
"Suggests that veneration is mandatory"

That isn't a compulsion to venerate the person. A statue will mean different things to different people, and by removing it you remove all those feelings associated with it and what it means to the individual. Take Oskar Schindler. Known by millions as someone who saved many Jews and this will quite rightly go through many peoples heads if they go to his memorial. On the other hand some people - including those from his hometown no less - see him only as a Nazi and a spy.

Do we just destroy his memorial because of these differing reactions?

TenEightyOne
That's not a fact, you're really twisting history now. The fact is that those statues were erected, mostly as part of an authorised discourse, to venerate specific acts or legends about specific people. You claim that the intention was to "celebrate people with complicated lives" but that seems nonsensical to me. The white, christian discourse in Britian's official histories has very much tried to scrub out Churchill's atrocities, for example.

What I garner from your replies is that you continue to venerate Churchill, a terrible minister, a terrible prime minister, and a terrible person. The thing that made him famous (winning the war, huzzah!) neatly ignores the fact that he remained one of the least popular PMs in British history, that he didn't "win the war" (because Britain was unable to without the USA deciding which side to come down on), that he killed millions of British citizens (as you pointed out), and that if his recommendations had been followed in the late 1930s we'd have been at war by '37 and destroyed by '39.

Do we need a statue to remember that? No, because a statue tells us that this is somebody to be celebrated. He isn't. He's somebody to be remembered.
It's far more complicated than that as you're not giving individuals the benefit of the doubt.

Take Thomas Guy as an example. His memorial inside Guy's Chapel (not the one that is gathering the headlines) meant a lot to me as a student. Considering my ancestry I should, according to some people, have a wholly negative view of him because of the way he made his money. Instead I saw it as a symbol of good when I was a student - a reminder of why I chose the course I did and a source of inspiration during challenging times. I don't believe we should gloss over his involvement in the slave trade which is why I would want a plaque detailing this history on the statue being reconsidered but I wouldn't advocate for its removal.
Yes we should.
At least that's consistent but I'm afraid we may only have statues of saints left thereby not having a true reflection of the people who made up the history of this country.

Edited to add. Yes, we should judge them through the lens of 2020, and yes we should review them in the future and continue to do so, or are you one of these barking nutters who believe that taking a statue down suddenly re-writes history.
See above.

Scaff
Edited once again to add: I see that you're engaging in quote mining once again. what was the reason you missed out this rather key piece of Khan's talking about Churchill and others?

“There’s a conversation to be had about the national curriculum properly teaches our children about people’s warts and all, and some of the things they’ve done we don’t approve of. But there are some statues that are quite clear cut – slavers, quite clear cut in my view.”

Well apart from the fact that it adds context that was missing and pts it in a quite different light.
How is that quote mining - your quote isn't relevant and doesn't add any context. He's talking about the education system, not keeping a statue. He flat out said Churchill's statue won't be considered for removal but said it's more clear cut when talking about statues of slavers.

Why the difference?
Scaff
BTW, that's a rhetorical question, your dislike of Muslim's is well enough known
:rolleyes:

Why bring religion into it? Can you quote where I've shown a "dislike of Muslim's"?

As for Khan, I defended him against criticism about the congestion charge/ULEZ hike and think he's been an ok mayor. I don't really have a preference of him over the other candidates in the next election so won't be voting for him or anyone else.

I appreciate that you may not have clear intent to deflect as others do, and I agree with a bit of what you're saying, but I'm compelled to point out that you at no point spoke of police brutality or the corrupt culture that allows officers who have sworn to protect to not be held accountable for the unjustifiable killings of the people they're supposed to be protecting.

Everyone deserves an equal opportunity for justice, and cops getting away with criminal conduct makes that impossible, the color of everyone else's skin notwithstanding.
Fair point, and no deflection was intended.

I have posted before about what happened to Floyd in particular and that police officer and since he along with the others with him have rightly been charged. Would they have been charged if there were no protests? The sad truth is, probably not.

I think the questions and issues being raised and what is being challenged in the US is a bit different to what we're exeperiencing over here so apologies if what I talked about isn't really relevent to the original intent of this thread which is more specific to Floyd and police brutality.

I don't think police brutality against blacks should be tolerated, I mean we all know it shouldn't be tolerated agianst anyone, but I won't go down the all lives matter road because that undermines the message black lives matter is trying to say which is not that only black lives matter, but that they matter too. And I totally get that and agree with it.

A lot of predjudice stems from fear, lack of eduction and lack of trust. I think there does need to be a no-tolerance appraoch to it, especially in positions of trust, teaching, policing, army etc. A lot of it can probably be picked up on in training in those careers if those carrying out the training tailored it to do so. But change has to happen at the top and be refelcted down at every level. It's very easy for the person at the top to not be impacted by racial predjudice that happens several levels below. It's not them, they don't agree etc. They condemn it and carry on.

But they need to be enforcing a no-tolerance approach at every level and an abuse of power to promote or excercise predjudice should be met with an appropriate escalation in punishment and those at the top do need to answer questions like why this man was allowed to serve in the police force.

It's clear that what happened to Floyd isn't an isolated case but most cases don't get caught on camera. It's unfortunate that it takes a tradgedy to force questions to be raised and action. But no matter what the protests are about we have to do our best to keep them peaceful, because the smaller number who want to stir up trouble can easilly make themselves the loudest heard thanks to mainstream press and media, and that doesn't do anyone any favours.

Basically one long slippery slope logical fallacy.

Are you sure it wasn't you on GMB with Piers yesterday?

No, it will not lead to the tearing down of the Pyramids (because for the main part they were not built by slaves) and yes it should force a conversation about who we do and do not commemorate in the form of statues and other monuments.

I have personally signed the petitions that did the rounds in regards to Colston's statue (I live locally and work in Bristol from time to time, in addition, my daughter and son-in-law live in the city), the ones that tory counsellors have vetoed every time for decades. As such the forced removal of the statue was something I was personally happy to see, it has no place in modern Bristol. Where it should be is in a museum in the city that addresses its past as the second-largest slaving port in the UK.

Now you may see slavery and the people who carried it out as a part of our cultural heritage that needs immortalising (as that's what statues do), I don't I see it as a part of our cultural heritage that needs to be learnt from, and that's what education and museums do (and statues do not).

Are you for example aware that school kids used to be taken to the statue and told to throw flowers on it, and I'm not talking about the dark distant past here, I'm talking about well within living memory? The reason being that they were never told (because statues don't provide context - people assume they are honorific), so assumed he was a good man, not a man responsible for the death of 19,000 innocent people and the selling of near 90,000.

Now I've also done a quick search here on GTP and I don't seem to be able to find you have the same issue when they tore down the statues of Jimmy Saville? What about the criminal defacement of the plaque that was outside Saville's former home? Or are these a different part of our cultural heritage?
My issue isn't with the statues being torn down/places being renamed, it's the manner of it. There is no informed debate taking place when a mob of people decide to pull a statue down or graffiti over it.

I'm also not talking about the links to slavery as being part of our heritage worth keeping, I'm talking about modern cultural links. A professor on TV the other night made what I thought was a valid point about Penny Lane and what connotations that has, because for most people it's The Beatles. So what is it's cultural significance? The moden significance doesn't have to be original one, but like I said, we have to be aware of what causes offence at the same time.

I'm all for offensive images and street names being taken down or replaced, just not by mob rule. My point about educating people, isn't meant as an argument for "let's just say we've learned from this so move on", it's to discuss who the person was, discuss issues people may have and then decide. If it remains offensive then get rid, I'm fine with that. It doesn't improve my personal life if a statue stays or goes, I just want the decision to be made in a reasonable way rather than a reactionary one.

You're point about kids throwing flowers at the feet of Colston's statue is evidence that people weren't being educated on the history relating to it properly. Maybe if they were the statue would have been removed a long time ago. May be not, but education is an important step.

Fair point on the pyramids, but I suppose my point is slaves built a lot of buildings and monuments hundereds of years ago and beyond and may buildings and monuments were built by people who owned or profited from slavery in some way all over the globe. How far back do we go if we blanket choose to tear down anything connected with the slave trade?

And what do we agree constitues a connection? Them having a family member connected or involved? An organisation they worked for being involved? That's as slippery a slope as you can get and what messages does making the wrong decision send out?

I'm not a fan of dangerous precedents and if mob rule dictates now, what's to stop it dictating something else when the cause perhaps isn't a good one? We have to do the right thing, but we have to do it in the right way. Maybe I am wide of the mark in some views, but that's where discussion is good, because I'm never afraid to adjust how I see things if I do realise that I've misunderstood, missapplied or missjudged something.

Last edited:
At least that's consistent but I'm afraid we may only have statues of saints left thereby not having a true reflection of the people who made up the history of this country.

See above.
Slippery Slope logical fallacy once again.

How is that quote mining - your quote isn't relevant and doesn't add any context. He's talking about the education system, not keeping a statue. He flat out said Churchill's statue won't be considered for removal but said it's more clear cut when talking about statues of slavers.

Why the difference?

:rolleyes:
You quoted it and referenced it and you still don't see it as context.

"But there are some statues that are quite clear cut – slavers, quite clear cut in my view"

Remove that and you do remove the context of why he said one thing about Churchill (which for the record I disagree with him on) and another for statues of slave-traders., Remove it and it looks hypocritical, add it back in and it more balanced.

Why bring religion into it? Can you quote where I've shown a "dislike of Muslim's"?

As for Khan, I defended him against criticism about the congestion charge/ULEZ hike and think he's been an ok mayor. I don't really have a preference of him over the other candidates in the next election so won't be voting for him or anyone else.

You mean you didn't try and argue that Muslim countries were more violent because of Islam, odd given that it was only earlier this year (and yes I can provide more).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/islam-whats-your-view-on-it.263208/page-173#post-12981460

Irony doesn't need a direct comparison in terms of magnitude to work.

If you say.

People are making a martyr out of a career criminal who did unsavoury things in one instance and are calling for the removal of statues of people who did unsavoury things in another.

I really think you're missing the scale... and the Colston statue isn't really a new issue is it, the problems of caused by his name and image across Bristol have caused difficulty for years. The "martyr" you speak of was murdered by the very people who should have protected him, another point that I feel you're missing.

It's of little matter that one action was more repugnant than the other.

Heh.

So judging you with 2020 specs on what you said and did in the eighties means we should, as a society, hold a lesser opinion on you now.

Quite possibly. I'm not in control of your opinion of me and I genuinely don't mind what it is.

If you did something worthy of creating a statue over should we not build it because of those words and actions in the eighties?

That isn't my choice but it's entirely possible that somebody may feel that way. What a strange hypotheticalismism.

I don't understand the post office analogy - I meant safe as in safe from removal.

Safe from a negative action. Khan has said he won't remove the statue. He hasn't said it won't be removed.

That isn't a compulsion to venerate the person. A statue will mean different things to different people, and by removing it you remove all those feelings associated with it and what it means to the individual.

Veneration is the exact purpose of erecting statues. Its removal doesn't remove the feelings associated with it by either communities or individuals.

Take Oskar Schindler. Known by millions as someone who saved many Jews and this will quite rightly go through many peoples heads if they go to his memorial. On the other hand some people - including those from his hometown no less - see him only as a Nazi and a spy.

Yep.

Do we just destroy his memorial because of these differing reactions?

Maybe, who knows right now? It seems like you've got a real thing for these erections (if I've got that the right way around), but you don't actually need physical heritage to have heritage, so it's literally immaterial. Read some Holtorf, kick back and relax a bit.

It's far more complicated than that as you're not giving individuals the benefit of the doubt.

Eh?

Take Thomas Guy as an example. His memorial inside Guy's Chapel (not the one that is gathering the headlines) meant a lot to me as a student. Considering my ancestry I should, according to some people, have a wholly negative view of him because of the way he made his money. Instead I saw it as a symbol of good when I was a student - a reminder of why I chose the course I did and a source of inspiration during challenging times. I don't believe we should gloss over his involvement in the slave trade which is why I would want a plaque detailing this history on the statue being reconsidered but I wouldn't advocate for its removal.

And if it's removed you still have your memories. You don't actually need the physical statue for that. Your heritage and memories are intact, just without the erection.

Societies only usually keep statues of people they like, so you may be right. Historical understanding and sympathy evolves and each generation gets the history it deserves, to coin a phrase. The history doesn't change. Did you go to a school that taught history using a slideshow of nothing but statues?

He said the review wouldn't consider Churchill's statue for removal. He did not say it wouldn't be removed. I'm not sure which part of that statement is so hard to understand. Did he say it wouldn't ever be removed? No.

Fantastic spot on that apostrophe, really. Fantastic. As I recall none of your user IDs at GTPlanet have been redolent with love for them muslamicals, quite the opposite.

As it is the statue is still in the hands of the people and will be kept intact with all the damage and spray paint - because that's part of history. Now, you may choose that it's not a part of history you want to keep but that would be gross revisionism. Personally I've already emailed to see if I can go down there and scan the whole thing. Not missing an opportunity like this.

Last edited:
What exactly do you think you are actually saying here, that it's all in peoples heads?
That it's not a problem because the numbers don't vary much?

No. The reason I pointed that out is that imo people with good jobs are less likely to turn to crime in the first place.
No crime or less means less police intervention required.
Yes, the police need to eliminate crime from their own department also.
As I see it this sole focus against police is not addressing the problem at its root.
Police brutality is unacceptable, just as unacceptable is having a portion of the population without good job opportunities. Also it’s unacceptable that there exists areas that are controlled largely by gangs. That’s not right imo.

Do you honestly think that's of any comfort to the people who are 3 to 4 times more likely to die at the hands of the police?

Look at the numbers. There’s inequity and disproportion in the numbers of crimes they commit.
Hence my desire to see job training. Job creation, and quality education.
Imo if people see others around them having good jobs and being able to live better lives, others will do so also, but the oppurtunity needs to be there.
Imo maybe if there were good paying jobs that provided a possibility of a better lifestyle than people wouldn’t turn to crime so easily.
Focusing on criminal police and directing rage towards the police is understandable, but imo that approach will have only limited results long term at correcting the inequities present in the U.S. right now.
Imo it’s best to address the problem at its root cause as opposed to trying to treat the symptoms and allowing the numbers to continue as they have the last half century.
Police brutality is a horrible symptom of much bigger problems. It needs to be stamped out yes, and I support that, but I’m not dumb enough to pretend that treating symptoms cure diseases.

Back