The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

@Groundfish How hard is it to simply say "cops are doing bad things". Holy **** dude....

If you’ve read my comments you will see I’ve already said that multiple times across several different threads.
Look guys I can’t be bothered to respond if all that’s on offer is strawman after strawman.
My point made is that you can look at data dispassionately and in an academic fashion or you can look at people video recording themselves ranting about whatever they want to or listen to social media or whatever you want.
Until the underlying issues that have led to this horrifying situation are understood and corrected there is no real progress.

Cheers

I find this really interesting. So you've identified segments of the population that have disproportionate crime, but don't want to say which ones. You've identified lots of things that a lack of change over time "indicate", but you won't say what. Can you say why volunteering your conclusions is such a problem?

The problem is simple. You've given the impression that the segment of the population is "black people", and the what it indicates is that the color of a person's skin being black makes them naturally predisposed to murder. in other words, one possible interpretation of your post is that you think black people are naturally more violent.

I'm inviting you to either confirm or dispel that interpretation. Your refusal to do so raises an eyebrow.

Ah, the old "I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin" plausible deniability.

I've seen this a few times on this board. Using some dubious set of data to impress a conclusion that cannot be substantiated with an actual logical argument, but which provides some cover for an opinion that the information purveyor desperately wants to hold as reasonable - because its either neat and tidy and requires no deeper investigation or because it aligns with their worldview. Is there a succinct fallacy term for this?

Last edited:
I’ve stated I am against misinterpretation of data and misdiagnosis of underlying issues, and provided official statistics.
I repeated my position many times.
Impoverished + crime ridden areas = real change needed not knee jerk responses
For some reason that results in this as the sole response:
5C301C9A-7CE3-42C8-9AF3-417C80AEF230.gif

That’s simply not worth my time any longer.

I’ve stated I am against misinterpretation of data and misdiagnosis of underlying issues, and provided official statistics.
I repeated my position many times.
Impoverished + crime ridden areas = real change needed not knee jerk responses
For some reason that results in this as the sole response:
View attachment 929745
That’s simply not worth my time any longer.

Well, what is the real change you are suggesting?

How many times does someone have to say something isn’t worth their time before it truly isn’t?

I’d guess it’d afford someone enough time to actually point out the relevant portions of an 183-page document, at the very least.

Here,this is Toronto. Shooting back at whomever while hundreds of cars are driving by on a highway. Brilliant.
https://torontosun.com/news/local-n...HLw8KG4sjn-lCLCn0Y6Fgy5tKYYv2lsuN_1LQNrRubiK4

Ah, the maple leaf equivalent of the Daily Mail. Let’s see how it’s reported:

It’s pure ugliness and terror. It makes the wild west look tame.

The security video of this crazy shootout reveals how it already is in Toronto. It’s a shooting range. Night after night.

Some war zones have had less bullets and guns.

:rolleyes:

Ah, the old "I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin" plausible deniability.

I've seen this a few times on this board. Using some dubious set of data to impress a conclusion that cannot be substantiated with an actual logical argument, but which provides some cover for an opinion that the information purveyor desperately wants to hold as reasonable - because its either neat and tidy and requires no deeper investigation or because it aligns with their worldview. Is there a succinct fallacy term for this?
I'm going with:

FB_IMG_1591981522004.jpg

https://noellecress.com/6-logical-fallacies

How many times does someone have to say something isn’t worth their time before it truly isn’t?

I’d guess it’d afford someone enough time to actually point out the relevant portions of an 183-page document, at the very least.

Ah, the maple leaf equivalent of the Daily Mail. Let’s see how it’s reported:

:rolleyes:
So I guess the video of people shooting is not accurate. I could care less what the reporter says. Blasting off guns into the direction of the 401? Dude wake up man.

So I guess the video of people shooting is not accurate. I could care less what the reporter says. Blasting off guns into the direction of the 401? Dude wake up man.

Bolded for the key part.

I’m not condoning the actions in the video. I never said I did.

Framing Toronto as a nightly shooting range or worse than war zones is dishonest “reporting”. It’s fear-mongering, and as illustrated, works on people who don’t actually live here.

Bolded for the key part.

Framing Toronto as a nightly shooting range or worse than war zones is dishonest “reporting”. It’s fear-mongering, and as illustrated, works on people who don’t actually live here.
Reminds me of the time Fox News said Birmingham was a no go zone for whites, the day before I went to Birmingham.

Oddly I managed to spend the entire day without issue.

Bolded for the key part.

Well sorry to burst your bubble. I lived and worked in Toronto for 15 years for CN and Via Rail. My daughter lives right behind Rogers Center left field line. When was the last time you took a stroll around the Jane and Finch area at night time? So a bunch of clowns decide to pull out illegal weapons and randomly fire them in the direction of the 401 while cars are going by doing 100 kms an hour. OK

Well sorry to burst your bubble. I lived and worked in Toronto for 15 years for CN and Via Rail. My daughter lives right behind Rogers Center left field line. When was the last time you took a stroll around the Jane and Finch area at night time? So a bunch of clowns decide to pull out illegal weapons and randomly fire them in the direction of the 401 while cars are going by doing 100 kms an hour. OK

Dude, @SlipZtrEm literally lives in Toronto.

What is your broader point?

Dude I live 90 kms west of him in Guelph. I specifically moved from Toronto because of the BS and high cost of housing. I'm in Toronto,Mississauga,Brampton daily driving my truck.

You make it sounds like Slip's never been to Toronto and doesn't understand what it's like there.

As for Toronto itself? I've walked around most of the city and had to go there for a previous job occasionally. I never felt unsafe in any area of the city, especially when compared to some of the American cities I've been in.

You make it sounds like Slip's never been to Toronto and doesn't understand what it's like there.

As for Toronto itself? I've walked around most of the city and had to go there for a previous job occasionally. I never felt unsafe in any area of the city, especially when compared to some of the American cities I've been in.
Ok perhaps you didn't read the part that "my daughter lives in Toronto" Just around the corner were the rapper Hoidini was shot a week ago. Here I don't want to make it sound like I don't know what's going on 50 miles from me. It's not like I'm on the other side of Canada. Read up.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globaln...oronto-police-shootings-may-19-overnight/amp/

^Three overnight shootings... Toronto sounds like the Wild West.

Must remember to check my niece who lives there for bullet holes next time I speak to her.

Last edited:
No. Where? Never did.

Straw man. What I’m saying is that a lot of folks reasoning seems to me to presume that all in a certain group are innocent law abiding citizens and that’s not true of any group of people I can think of atm.

Implying that those who fall into a "certain group," or those that live in a certain area have the potential to be a violent person, and should be treated as such before they even get to speak for themselves.

Presuming a random stranger is innocent until proven otherwise is the basis of our legal system. It's also the basis of being a good human being.

That being said, in my original statement "suggested" would've probably been a better choice of word on my part.

Again no.

Ok, in order from the top.
To @NotThePrez can’t believe you would say that a call to improve impoverished crime ridden areas by educating and employing the citizens there a lack of empathy. Imo it would increase their freedom and happiness.

Implying that the people who currently live in impoverished areas are already uneducated, unemployed, contribute little to society, and that they need to have someone to tell them what you/they "think" would give them freedom and happiness. If you went down to an "impoverished" neighborhood and tried peddling that malarkey, I'm fairly confident you'd do nothing but create an insane amount of resentment, and get yelled out. You'd also demonstrate your tone-deafness as to why areas like that became what they are in the first place.

Again no. I simply linked the actual data.
As I’ve said many times I’m horrified by murder.

You linked a 183-page document from 2010 and gave little-to-no indication of which parts of it were actually relevant.

You also linked an article that tries to explain the number, not the cause or justifiability, of police shootings, while once again giving little-to-no indication of which parts of the article were actually relevant.

Neither pieces of "data" are relevant to the main crux of the issue, and trying to parrot them as such is discussion in bad faith.

No. I simply linked data.
I felt I should after my comment that social media and news can cause people’s perceptions of situations to be distorted from reality.

You also neglected to point out which parts of your data were actually relevant to your argument. You basically just said "this data supports my opinion" and left it at that. When asked to clarify which part of the data was actually relevant, such as @Danoff had done, you literally just say...

No @Danoff.
Again the info is the info in that report. You can choose to read it or not. I just linked it.

That is discussion in bad faith, and it makes you sound like you're not required to explain your point. You make a claim, or try to present data, then it's your responsibility to back it up. Making others do homework because you can't be bothered to explain what makes your evidence relevant is both intellectually dishonest and quite insulting.

I'm not gonna sift through a 183 page document with nothing to go on. Especially when that document itself is nearly 10 years old, and using data that's 15 years old at best. Nevermind that, once again, the document is another attempt at deflection and is irrelevant to the main issue.

Also, I like how you edited out the second part of my sentence. At least now I know you're actively going out of your way to avoid addressing the main issue of police abusing their power, and have basically signaled that you're avoiding any attempts to understand why people are upset about it.

Again no.

So people end up hating police, which are people doing a necessary job, instead of asking why there’s so much crime or how to create more jobs.

Edit with all the passion people have right now I think it would be great to take that energy and focus it on job creation, training, education etc. what’s happened is ACAB and defund and paint slogans. It’s a letdown.

You're literally saying that it's more important to get or "create" a job than it is to protest (a constitutional right, btw) the lack of accountability police receive when someone dies due to their actions, and their death was both unjustified and avoidable. You're also saying that using one's energy to campaign for the police to respect basic human rights is "a letdown."

Also implying that police shouldn't be subject to criticism because they're "doing a necessary job."

Also, when I directly asked you to clarify yourself, you deflected. Twice.

Again no. Again that’s pretty insulting.
Before I’ve touched slightly on my life, and was pretty much shutdown and told anecdotal stuff is invalid.

Yes, because it's invalid to think that anecdotal stories are on the same level as pure, objective fact. It's really damn easy for someone to mis-remember, be uninformed, or straight-up lie about something they went through, and then pass it off as fact. That's also why anecdotal stories are not a blueprint for every situation or area that seems similar to the original teller's experience.

I literally gave you an example of such before.
I'm not surprised to find out that you ignored it.

However I do not and never will give any respect to violent criminals.
People who are violent, sorry even if less ‘fortunate’ (whatever the heck that implies-you don’t know my life) don’t get ANY sympathy from me.

Don't want to respect an individual for what they did? That's cool.

Respecting the fact that something went down and learning about the events that led up to a situation, however, is important and can also add important context to a situation, which is why it's one of the main pillars of our legal system. Yet police, the people assigned with defending us, have on multiple occasions acted as judge, jury and executioner and have gotten away with it relatively unscathed. Again, the reasons people are protesting police are not something that popped up overnight.

If you think I have some perfect life and have not experienced significant pain and anguish you are very very badly mistaken.
Again that’s irrelevant and anecdotal and not allowed etc.

See above.

I never said those things listed above, you are putting words in my mouth.
I am FOR improving the lives of people in areas with high crime rates plus poverty.
I am AGAINST the very poor state of the educational system as a WHOLE though.
ESPECIALLY in some poor areas.

Then maybe take the time to learn more about why things are the way they are in the first place. In particular, take some time to learn about it from the viewpoint of an American minority.

Maybe then, you'll actually grasp what the hell people are protesting about.

I just think this situation results from many reasons that can’t be truly improved upon overnight. It didn’t come to be overnight.

And you know what would be a fantastic start? Showing some actual compassion for your fellow citizens and learning about what protesters are fighting for. Not trying to make it seem like police are above question, throwing out "data" to move the spotlight, and think in total absolutes.

I wanna see real change, not a knee jerk response from lawmakers and then back to business as usual.

And I (and many many others) want the people who are tasked with my protection held accountable when they screw up, especially if their screw-up results in an unnecessary, avoidable death. I (and many others) want the police to be held to the same standards and penalties as any other person who screwed up and someone dies as a result. The people protesting for this are going out of their way to make sure we don't return to business as usual.

Crime-rates, homicide rates, black-on-black violence, probability equations, addressing intelligence, etc. are not the issue at hand, and treating them as such is disingenuous.

Edit: Once again, @killerjimbag , still waiting on that evidence.

Last edited:
Ok perhaps you didn't read the part that "my daughter lives in Toronto" Just around the corner were the rapper Hoidini was shot a week ago. Here I don't want to make it sound like I don't know what's going on 50 miles from me. It's not like I'm on the other side of Canada. Read up.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globaln...oronto-police-shootings-may-19-overnight/amp/

Ya, it's a big city, like the fourth biggest in North America behind Mexico City, LA, and NYC, crime happens. Still given its size, it was also ranked the 6th safest city in the world in 2019. Also, in 2019, it had 79 homicides. By comparison, Chicago which has roughly the same population (2.8 million vs. 2.7 million) had 491 murders. Toronto isn't the wild west by any means. Weirdly, the city with the highest murder per capita rate is Thunder Bay...which confuses me because I wasn't aware anything happened in Thunder Bay at all.

If you want to look at outright crime, Thompson, Manitoba has the highest crime index. Toronto doesn't even crack the top 10, in fact, it's 39th.

Must remember to check my niece who lives there for bullet holes next time I speak to her.
I guess you missed the video.

I guess you missed the video. People pulled out their illegal handguns and just randomly shot back at whomever shot at them. The problem being is that the busiest highway in North America was in the firing line. Total disregard for innocent people. Thank God nobody was hit doing 65 miles an hour by a stray bullet. Your humour is pretty sad to say the least.

I guess you missed the video.
I guess you missed the video. People pulled out their illegal handguns and just randomly shot back at whomever shot at them. The problem being is that the busiest highway in North America was in the firing line. Total disregard for innocent people. Thank God nobody was hit doing 65 miles an hour by a stray bullet. Your humour is pretty sad to say the least.
Was there a video in the article you told us to read up on? Then you should highlight it in your post. Maybe summarise it as you did just now instead of expecting other people to try and feel their way around whatever it is that you're trying to say.

Shooting into traffic may be pretty bad as crimes go but I'm not sure they make Toronto the worst city for gun shootings in North America unless severity trumps frequency. And I'm still not sure how it justifies or excuses police brutality even if it did.

Last edited:
I think that you would find that the reason the incident happened, fundamentally, is for reasons that *should* be outside the scope of police responsibility. That is to say, the root cause of the problems facing inner cities in North America, is not one that can or should be solved by giving police more money or more man-power. The best that the police can manage to do is paper over the cracks. And that's exactly what is the current status quo. I don't see how anyone can look at America today and say, "ah, everything is just fine" - so I think most people would readily admit that there are problems. We've been giving police more money, more equipment, and more manpower for decades, and the problems are not getting better. All of that is to say that it is, in my opinion, a red herring to suggest that "de-funding" the police will lead to more incidents like the one described in that remarkably badly written piece that @killerjimbag linked, because, largely, police funding has nothing to do with the intrinsic problem.

What if Toronto, instead, rerouted some (emphatically NOT ALL) police funding to improving the public school system? Community infrastructure development? Mental health services? Maybe get young inner city kids interesting in doing things like starting a business? Directing the money into directly improving the communities and the people residing within them seems like money a lot better spent than money sent to the police to clean up the mess of a broken society. Poor people are incredibly disenfranchised in this country - they own next to nothing as a group, and it's getting worse. We need to think about it, and how to fix it. (I'd argue that starts at the FED, but that's for another thread)

It's like if you have a blown headgasket in your car and you just pour vast resources into keeping coolant in the thing rather than actually attempting to replace the headgasket. You get my meaning?

Back