The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
I really need to go to an air show one day. Whether it's the Blue Angels, or a Red Bull Air Race event, I want to see some incredible planes.

I might have posted this one too many times already but I have watched it like 5 or 6 times now. :) Awesome onboard camera too. Love this show, really need to go to RIAT at least once in my life :D

It's a nice read, have it for some time now..

2230346.jpg

Last edited:
So the Harrier will still be available for air shows....... This retired Marine pilot with a few bucks from his business decided he wants to keep flying them!

This video tells a lot about what he did to get it, and what he had to go through.

So the Harrier will still be available for air shows....... This retired Marine pilot with a few bucks from his business decided he wants to keep flying them!

This video tells a lot about what he did to get it, and what he had to go through.

Was I the only person hoping he would do a vertical takeoff with the guy standing on top, GTA style? :lol:

On a serious note, I am so glad that this man is trying to keep this plane alive for as long as possible. Just like he said, the Harrier continues to inspire younger generations of people who will advance the aviation industry and leave an impact on all of us. Whether it's in the military protecting us, to commercial airlines transporting us and our families, or to businesses moving their products we need all across the globe.

Farewell, Tin Triangle:

I'm glad that they kept the commentary to a minimum and didn't include any music, just so the engines could roar for one last time. A very touching tribute, indeed. I wish I could have known more about this plane before this.

The conformal fuel tanks on the F-16s almost make them look like different planes from above, at least on the gray F-16s. The conformal fuel tanks are not quite as noticeable on the desert camo F-16.

Apparently, the tanks do not hinder performance much either. Source

The conformal fuel tanks on the F-16s almost make them look like different planes from above, at least on the gray F-16s. The conformal fuel tanks are not quite as noticeable on the desert camo F-16.

Apparently, the tanks do not hinder performance much either. Source

Some years ago I thought they looked horrible, ruining the sexy lines of the F-16. Now, in the Israeli desert camo I think it's one of the most beautiful jets out there. It just screams "don't mess with me!".

I'm going to England Sunday evening, with the boat. Going with three plane crazy friends spotting for 6 days. :cool: Typically England, weather is probably bad but we'll see :P

Going to the Georgia Air Show tomorrow (@GregTheStig are you going?) with a few friends so I'll be sure to spam it up in here... Today the Blue Angles were rocketing over my house, so I'll see them closer tomorrow..

We pre-purchased tickets... for Sunday :( I don't know what the game plan is because there's like a 100% chance of rain Sunday. We might try to camp out around town to get a look at the Blues at least.

We pre-purchased tickets... for Sunday :( I don't know what the game plan is because there's like a 100% chance of rain Sunday. We might try to camp out around town to get a look at the Blues at least.
Yeah, it's gonna pour down all day. It was like that the first time I ever went (like, ten years ago) but they did some part of the show and it did clear up...

All I can reccommend is bring a big umbrella to sit under two chairs, unless you wanna pay for tomorrows tickets at the gates, and sell yours..

So I wasn't at show center but I did get an awesome glimpse of the Blue Angels. We were off a lake right at the end of the runway. Got a buzz by Fat Albert and lots of awesome passes from the Blues. What an awesome show!!!

Here's one of my only good shots from my phone.

IMG_20151031_164740.jpg

Probably going to upload upwards of 200+ from the 1,067 I took.. Some are blurry, out of frame, or subject is too dark...

Edit:

I should also mention that whilst I brought my tripod, I forgot to bring the plate for the head. I had taken it off for the trip to Amsterdam and never attached it again.... Big, dumb, stupid idea...

Oh, and one of my batteries were dead... completely forgot to charge it...

Last edited:
EDIT: IF images don't load, or appear broken, refresh page
Untitled by Jacob Buchanan, on Flickr

Tomorrow will be Delta's 764 ER that's been recently repainted. Honestly, I was surprised with how many flybys they did (5 I think), as the last time I went to the air show (10 years ago) it was just one and done...

@GregTheStig From what I heard show is still a go tomorrow...

Prop trails of Fat Albert!!! Nice!

Tripod would have been useless, and unless you're shooting a 400 or 500mm lens, completely unnecessary. Too much movement of your own body needed to pan around with it, and it takes up enough room for 4 other people in that crowd. Did you leave it in the car when you saw you didn't have the plate, or did you end up carrying it around as dead weight all day?

Latest Posts

Back