The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
So with news a few weeks back that this year the F35B will again be attempting to do the UK Farnborough and RIAT airshows, I have to ask, has the F35 been doing shows in the US? Anyone had a chance to see one yet?

There have been a few but i dont recall actual demonstrations

I think I've said it before, with me being in Arizona and it being the area with two military bases that have active training programs you get to see tons more than the average air enthusiasts. But if it makes any of you feel any better I've yet to see an F-22 in person. :(

Well yeah I've seen a few out of Pensacola before but I thought it was airshow wise. I've seen them as a static demonstration before but never started up and performed..

I have seen an F22 though, that was interesting (but at the same time boring... I don't like it or the 35 at all.)

Well yeah I've seen a few out of Pensacola before but I thought it was airshow wise. I've seen them as a static demonstration before but never started up and performed..

I have seen an F22 though, that was interesting (but at the same time boring... I don't like it or the 35 at all.)

We got to see it VTOL along with the Osprey at the Marine Air Station during the air show and fly about, it was cool

Last edited:
No F-35 for me, thank you very much. I'm having enough fun trying to master the G1000 in a 172. Did you know that system has a lean-assist feature based on individual cylinder temps? Who needs that? God gave me ears specifically so I could lean an engine properly.

No F-35 for me, thank you very much. I'm having enough fun trying to master the G1000 in a 172. Did you know that system has a lean-assist feature based on individual cylinder temps? Who needs that? God gave me ears specifically so I could lean an engine properly.
And where exactly did you get a G1000?

F-22 boring???!!!? It makes an F-15 look like a Super Sabre! I don't understand you, man!!! :)

I'm probably with you on the 35, though. Unless I see it do something really amazing, beyond what a SuperHornet can do, I just don't see myself being impressed with it. It's the first new fighter to come along in a long time that isn't "sexy" looking. Seeing it doesn't make me wish I was still in high school so I could plan a military career and fly it. It's ungainly looking with that main gear so far back, and besides that, it's simply ugly. The 14, 15, 16, 18, and 22 are all sexy-looking planes. The 35 looks like an F-22 raped an T-38.

So with news a few weeks back that this year the F35B will again be attempting to do the UK Farnborough and RIAT airshows, I have to ask, has the F35 been doing shows in the US? Anyone had a chance to see one yet?

A Youtube search showed a couple by the Marine version. I didn't see anything high-performance in those demos other than the short-field takeoff and landing. No super maneuvers or high-speed afterburner turns. Hovering, though!

I've seen F-35Cs (Navy version) do fly-bys at Pensacola. I've also seen that the Air Force will have theirs participating in Heritage Flights here and there this year, but there's no schedule, yet, it doesn't look like.

Luckily Ohio State paid for that part. They've got five spanky new planes within the last two years.
Huh. My cousin I think two semesters ago was one of the tug drivers for part-time, but he never mentioned much about this.

F-22 boring???!!!? It makes an F-15 look like a Super Sabre! I don't understand you, man!!! :)
Meh, I'm more of a steam gauge fan than a full cockpit of CDUs. In terms of commercial aircraft, not really a fan of the 777, but more a 767/757 (which s reaffirmed that after the simulator time I got).

Plus, how many F15s have been shot down?

Huh. My cousin I think two semesters ago was one of the tug drivers for part-time, but he never mentioned much about this.

Meh, I'm more of a steam gauge fan than a full cockpit of CDUs. In terms of commercial aircraft, not really a fan of the 777, but more a 767/757 (which s reaffirmed that after the simulator time I got).

Plus, how many F15s have been shot down?
0 F-15C's shot down ever by enemy aircraft. :sly:

F-15 is an all-star, F-22 is a toy. The F-22 would be a dog, but better than a F(ail)-35.

Just saw four Blackhawks flying over my town. They flew two-by-two, but in a staggered formation. There's been a lot of military aircraft operating above my town in the past few days. On Friday, I caught a glimpse of a C-17 several miles out of town. I know Maguire/Dix/Lakehurst was conducting live fire exercises over the weekend, but it seems like they're moving quite a bunch of their aircraft around.

EDIT: They just flew over again, going the opposite direction. :confused:

Dan
Just saw four Blackhawks flying over my town. They flew two-by-two, but in a staggered formation. There's been a lot of military aircraft operating above my town in the past few days. On Friday, I caught a glimpse of a C-17 several miles out of town. I know Maguire/Dix/Lakehurst was conducting live fire exercises over the weekend, but it seems like they're moving quite a bunch of their aircraft around.

EDIT: They just flew over again, going the opposite direction. :confused:
Fighter jets have been active again over here in the east, guess the military is bored. :lol:

Fighter jets have been active again over here in the east, guess the military is bored. :lol:

Have you been able to identify which fighters they're using? I wish I could see them as often as I see the C-17s and tankers here.

Dan
Have you been able to identify which fighters they're using? I wish I could see them as often as I see the C-17s and tankers here.
Sadly no, but they're louder than anything else that flies over us. :eek:

Last edited:
Analog gauges, what are those? :sly:
IMAG0014.jpg

Granted, some of our older planes do have 3 analog backup gauges, but that is about it.

And after seeing the F-22 demo in person, it is incredibly intense. Only the Super Hornet demo (which I have yet to see in person) looks comparable.

Also as far as the F-22 goes, it could be quite a while till it ever sees air combat, and I feel it will work exactly as advertised when it does have to engage enemy aircraft. I think it could have easily exceeded the F-15's record if it was exported and actually used in combat outside of just dropping random smart bombs anyway.

Well, given the ERJ is the only jet I have ever worked on, or have flown inside the cockpit on, I tend to be rather fond of it lol
Also here is a pic I took a few years ago of one of our ERJ-145XR's at IAH's international terminal:
IMG_2934.jpg

Gives a good idea on the size of an ERJ next to a 777 lol...

Yeah but the cockpit of a 777 is still the same as an ERJ (seats forward that is).

Still hard as hell to get into and out of.

I think the most spacious ones are from airbus.

0 F-15C's shot down ever by enemy aircraft. :sly:

F-15 is an all-star, F-22 is a toy. The F-22 would be a dog, but better than a F(ail)-35.

The guys flying them here, both 15 and 22 pilots have a different story. True, no air-to-air enemy has shot down an F-15, but in training runs here at Tyndall and elsewhere, the -15s can't handle the -22. A single F-22 killed eight F-15s in a single exercise, and none of the F-15s even knew he was there.

And everyone, myself included, belittles the F-35, yet the existence of the F-35 is the very reason that production of F-22s was stopped. Supposedly no one fields an opponent the -22 was made to kill, and the -35 is the Pentagon's favorite one-for-all, all-for-one airplane.

The guys flying them here, both 15 and 22 pilots have a different story. True, no air-to-air enemy has shot down an F-15, but in training runs here at Tyndall and elsewhere, the -15s can't handle the -22. A single F-22 killed eight F-15s in a single exercise, and none of the F-15s even knew he was there.

And everyone, myself included, belittles the F-35, yet the existence of the F-35 is the very reason that production of F-22s was stopped. Supposedly no one fields an opponent the -22 was made to kill, and the -35 is the Pentagon's favorite one-for-all, all-for-one airplane.

That sheer reality is what's scary. And the fact that they're a 4.5 gen at this point and even more scary than say 10-15 years ago also just shows how much effort was put in to the Gen 5 and not too far down the line Gen 6 fighters and bombers.

To that point...

That would've been game over right there.

And I recently learned of something neat on the F-22. Somewhere on the belly of the Raptor is a retractable panel or something that exists solely to ruin its stealthiness when it's extended. Basically it's something that sticks out and increases its radar cross section when the pilot so pleases. In warfare they could use it to troll enemy radar, sort of like a now you see me, now you don't tactic. I'm missing some details but it was something like that :lol:

Last edited:
To that point...

Is there more to that GIF? I see everything up to the point where the F-15 pilot rolls left and tilts his head up. Then the GIF just stops. It doesn't restart or anything. I even clicked on the link to take me directly to Imgur.

Dan
Is there more to that GIF? I see everything up to the point where the F-15 pilot rolls left and tilts his head up. Then the GIF just stops. It doesn't restart or anything. I even clicked on the link to take me directly to Imgur.

That's just Imgur and/or the gifv format doing something stupid. It's not a long gif. You can right-click it and toggle "Loop" but that's not even working for me. *golf clap*

Try a direct link:

edit: it's still exactly the same lol. The gifv format sucks

Dan

No, it's simple he was shot down in a simulation setting. F-22 got him and rolled off, the gif doesn't do anything more it just captures the point of how the fight would go in real world.

Last edited:
No, it's simple he was shot down in a simulation setting. F-22 got him and rolled off, the gif doesn't do anything more it just captures the point of how the fight would go in real world.

:/ I would have preferred a full video, even if it's a simulation. Three seconds doesn't convey a whole lot of information.

Dan
:/ I would have preferred a full video, even if it's a simulation. Three seconds doesn't convey a whole lot of information.

I'm sure youtube may have some red flag or air simulations. But yeah a few seconds isn't that fun if you really want to see how the things operate.

I'd rather say it's due to the fact it's the single most expensive aircraft per hour to fly ever made...

Well, there is that....... Officially, the role it was built for, air-to-air superiority against upcoming Russian and Chinese aircraft, became a non-issue because those Russian and Chinese aircraft apparently don't exist.

Back