The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
Aw, so we'll see the working one somewhere in 2020?

Hopefully. That everything back to the original B-2 has never met its original roll out plans, it's hard to say. From the article though, it sounds as if the USAF is playing it safe and trying to get something on the field quickly. We'll have to see.

Part 1 of about 6
Nice takeoff. I'll have to get around to doing this myself at some point. For now the best I'd be willing to do would be R/C aircraft. That does come with the bonus of it being a lot cheaper to design your own plane. Just need a work space.

zH6546M.jpg

Just got home, @Carlos do you have the RAW files for the Delta 330?

Yeah I never delete the originals. I'll send them when I'm home. Why if I may ask? Got two more but not as nice..
25106086689_98a1c08e41_b.jpg

24846923783_044b71f806_b.jpg

I want to go back soon and spot an A380 and 787. And from April Finnair is coming to Schiphol with their A350 :D

And some others from that day
25473611055_ba914ed33d_b.jpg

25380707661_fd7ea025ec_b.jpg

24846950993_b4bcc423b7_b.jpg

And a different Delta plane
25106117929_3187e7fb89_b.jpg

Last edited:
PH-MCW-McDonnell-Douglas-MD-11F-Martinair-Cargo.jpg

Dutch ATC speaking Dutch sometimes with the pilots, saying he is going to miss this beautiful airplane and then put him on hold, joking he's going to have him here as long as possible :P

Only two left now...

Was it the MD11 or another airliner where people said you should wear ear protection while riding in the back?

dwyair air cargo.jpg

Howdy GTP Aviation Enthusiasts. So I chartered out this Beechcraft B18S B5600D beauty way back in 1992 and flew "shotgun" with my "hired" pilot from Minneapolis to Chicago. I found out recently, unknowingly to me, that my pilot.............was the guy who owned and chartered the plane to Buddy Holly that crashed in 1959......the day the music died. The pilot, Jerry Dwyer, was his name and he passed away recently. Jerry also located the Buddy Holly airplane crash site the next morning after the crash. Little did I know that I was seated next to Jerry for my epic flight down to Chicago, and who had such a storied aviation past. Godspeed Jerry!

The original markings on the plane when I "co-piloted" it:

dwair-air-cargo-003.jpg

Last edited:
That's super cool! Beech Electra 18s are a favorite of mine and although not exactly the same, there's a lot of similar qualities to them. I haven't flown a twin engine yet, but sooner or later I'd really like to.

Seems like this plane was last flown to Georgia, about two hours south of me...

Dan
Was it the MD11 or another airliner where people said you should wear ear protection while riding in the back?

From experience, I can say they're required on the MD-88. I remember the first and fortunately only time I rode in the back of one of those... I was with my dad (who had just moved up from being captain on MD-88 for several years to the 737). As we were next in line for takeoff, he turned to me and said "karma is about to get me really good". I had my headphones on full blast and it barely made any difference :S

I can't believe that Iran Air still operate these things
2787514.jpg

It's a testament to Boeing's build quality and Iran Air's maintenance. I need a model of one desperately.

I can't believe that Iran Air still operate these things
View attachment 523326
It's a testament to Boeing's build quality and Iran Air's maintenance. I need a model of one desperately.

Isn't it just a 747-200 or 300?

I mean a lot of people still fly them and many are used as freighters so it's not that bad right? I don't fully know cause I never pay too much attention to the airliner side of airplanes.

Last edited:
Isn't it just a 747-200 or 300?

I mean a lot of people still fly them and many are used a freighters so it's not that bad right? I don't fully know cause I never pay too much attention to the airliner side of airplanes.
It's a -200, and Iran Air is the only airline still operating them for commercial flights. They're at least 30 years old, pretty insane considering that the average age of some FLEETS is 10 years old.

It's a -200, and Iran Air is the only airline still operating them for commercial flights. They're at least 30 years old, pretty insane considering that the average age of some FLEETS is 10 years old.

I've heard smaller airports fly them as well after big airliners sell them. But for a larger group to keep them on is cool especially considering the age as you mentioned. They're supposedly good planes so why not keep on with em I suppose.

Delta averages the oldest fleet of aircraft. They just retired some of their DC9-50s, upwards of 40-50 years, and their MD88s are 20-30 years as well.

Planes can continue to go on for quite the time in the air, it's engines and flight time hours that is the issue 9/10. Some people say that the pressure changes it experiences over its life is a big factor, but it's not really proven..

That's super cool! Beech Electra 18s are a favorite of mine and although not exactly the same, there's a lot of similar qualities to them. I haven't flown a twin engine yet, but sooner or later I'd really like to. Seems like this plane was last flown to Georgia, about two hours south of me...

It was surreal flying in the co-pilot seat down to Chicago. We left MSP with taxiing DC9's, 747's in front and back of us. Landed at Chicago Midway. Those radial engines with the entire instrument cluster oscillating the entire trip was amazing. Still looking for my complete picture set of the adventure, but I did manage to find this one.............. me at MSP after loading my cargo, oh boy, back in 1992, geez I looked great back in the day........:lol:.

dwyair-air-cargo-002.jpg

Delta averages the oldest fleet of aircraft. They just retired some of their DC9-50s, upwards of 40-50 years, and their MD88s are 20-30 years as well.

Planes can continue to go on for quite the time in the air, it's engines and flight time hours that is the issue 9/10. Some people say that the pressure changes it experiences over its life is a big factor, but it's not really proven..
The pressure changes do have an effect on the lifetime of the air due to the cyclic stresses applied to the airframe, but generally it's a quantity that is proportional to the number of hours flown and the intended use of the aircraft.

Back