The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,807 comments
LoveLive is on a McLaren in GT300.

15sgt_m009.jpg

BASED 12C IS EVERYWHERE.

All hail the 12C.

Welp, twas time for a new wallpaper and a search on DeviantArt led me to this gem.
HatsOff-Designs has the kinda style I like for Wallpapers. Plenty of nice designs from them

misconduct__bakemonogatari__by_hatsoff_designs-d83lkn6.jpg

and I was thinking this too

render_bakemonogatari_020_by_blackd13-d59cwzs.png

Black Hanekawa NEARLY made the cut until I released that maybe she's a bit too lewd :lol:

Last edited:
Finished all the Nisekoi episodes that are out currently. Besides ep. 4 from Season 2 because CRUNCHYROLL DECIDED IT SHOULD BE AN EPISODE THAT NEEDED PREMIUM.

But I digress. The show itself is spectacular. Hilarious show.

Also, dubs>subs. Finding it hard to focus when I gotta read the damn text to know what's going on.

Edit: Found Episode 4 on the internet. I need more dammit. MORE.

Last edited:
Cut and paste C4Ds.

Still though, nice wallpaper material I say.

We have a winner ! :D

haiku__free_psd__by_hatsoff_designs-d8q3msu.jpg

Will probably stay for a while, then get replaced with random Subaru wallpapers

@TrentDog1 , it really is a fun show I say. I felt a massive void once I finished the first season.

My bro found Welcome to The NHK to be hilarious. Guess I'll have to put that on the priority list...

Last edited:
Still though, nice wallpaper material I say.

Not knocking on your tastes, but when you come around to appreciating really good works of art, you may find it harder to respect cut and paste material like that. Pop art does cool collages, but C4D imo is really kitsch.

I have to rewatch NGE , I saw it when I was young, dumb and with no food in my tum, so it didn't make sense to me.

Eventually, after Initial D though :D

Is this the right time to say that NGE was my second anime after Initial D? :lol:

No, it's not. The thing sucks.

Damm Cano, you're not holding back. I mean yes, the story is laughable at best and the characters are barely any good, but it isn't that bad. I mean, not "it sucks" bad, but it isn't a classic either.

And besides, what realistic car anime has been a classic? The only one that is actually good is Future Cyber Formula, and that's about as realistic as Wipeout, really...

Do you have any specific reason to say that?

Because they do? I mean, they're terrible. I do not deny the appeal of seeing animated cars, and if they are well rendered and stuff they can look pretty spectacular (Wangan Midnight) but as a shoiw, they suck, blatantly.

Because they do? I mean, they're terrible. I do not deny the appeal of seeing animated cars, and if they are well rendered and stuff they can look pretty spectacular (Wangan Midnight) but as a shoiw, they suck, blatantly.

I won't disagree with you there. I still stand by my point that Cyber Formula GPX is still the best car show I've ever watched (and even that isn't super epic or anything, but it just works better than most car shows because the story flows decently), and I do know that neither Wangan or Initial D do well in the important parts of an anime. Yes, they are bad, before you translate all this again. But some are less bad than others.

At least the part where the cars appear is decent enough, so the eye candy is there. Except that after that, you might have to bleach your eyes in order to forget the cringe-inducing attempts at a story. What would it take for a studio, any studio, do create a decent story for a car anime?

Unicorns. Because you can't. There is absolutely no way you can make a car-centered story good, because it's about cars, and cars are things.

Stuff where cars are prominent but do not take a central part, that can be good.

And cars by themselves do not make a unique (nor good) story, got it.

Yes, stuff such as Gunsmith Cats, right? It has cars, they're not a central part of the story, but they are incredibly well-detailed and provide a good chase segment during the second episode. A good example, in my opinion.

And cars by themselves do not make a unique (nor good) story, got it.

Yes, stuff such as Gunsmith Cats, right? It has cars, they're not a central part of the story, but they are incredibly well-detailed and provide a good chase segment during the second episode. A good example, in my opinion.

Exactly. When the story has cars but the characters have a backstory, they can work. In Gunsmith Cats the cars are right at center, but the characters in the show/manga have a bounty hunter background, so it's not about cars, it's about something else. Same with Ex-Driver (or whatever4 the hell is called), for example, where cars are absolutely center stage but the thing is not about cars, it's about cops. Same with, er... You're under arrest! was it? Where both girls are cops but also happen to be car enthusiasts, so cars are also center stage but it's not about cars. All those background are interesting and can give place to interesting stories. When a show is about a lame guy who races his stuff and that's all... well, yeah, no.

Initial D has some of the most fantastic driving in any TV series, and with the technical input from real-life drivers, it's actually pretty realistic. Wangan Midnight is somewhat the same... only it's more a primer on car tuning than driving. It would be absolutely fascinating to see the detail work on the exhaust of the Blackbird in real life.

-

But yeah, there's little in the way of compelling characters in either. In both, the main character isn't some underdog with an interesting backstory and a colorful personality... he's simply a blank slate for the audience to project themselves onto... a bit dull, almost completely devoid of personality, quiet and calm, except when he is not, and stupidly skilled.

Oh, and a homicidally reckless criminal, to boot. :lol:

The background characters are more interesting... though the more interesting ones are rarely in more than a few episodes.

-

Still, I wouldn't say they're not worth watching... not the best animes ever, but if you like nuts and bolts, it's like watching a Discovery Channel mockumentary series... :lol:

Latest Posts

Back