The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,807 comments
Yeah, let's all go throw our front tires in the ditch and see what happens! Come on dude :lol:

Really, if you like nuts and bolts, watch Roadkill.

It's a technique that actually works for rally drivers... hook the inside wheels in a rut to keep the nose in the turn... allows you to go through it faster than otherwise.

Granted, you do it wrong on a street car and you can end up de-beading the tire... :D

Initial D is often exaggerated (hell, it's a cartoon), but they had Keiichi Tsuchiya on as a technical consultant for both the manga and the cartoon, so it's about as real as a "drift" anime can get*

Which is about the only reason to watch it... tepid, directionless love story aside. :P

I would not, however, suggest jumping your car several feet down the inside of a downhill turn... that... that one is a pretty dumb technique.

It's a technique that actually works for rally drivers... hook the inside wheels in a rut to keep the nose in the turn... allows you to go through it faster than otherwise.

Granted, you do it wrong on a street car and you can end up de-beading the tire... :D

Initial D is often exaggerated (hell, it's a cartoon), but they had Keiichi Tsuchiya on as a technical consultant for both the manga and the cartoon, so it's about as real as a "drift" anime can get*

Which is about the only reason to watch it... tepid, directionless love story aside. :P

I would not, however, suggest jumping your car several feet down the inside of a downhill turn... that... that one is a pretty dumb technique.

Eh, I'd rather watch Tsuchiya driving in some Hot Version videos instead of the idiot in ID.

Exactly. When the story has cars but the characters have a backstory, they can work. In Gunsmith Cats the cars are right at center, but the characters in the show/manga have a bounty hunter background, so it's not about cars, it's about something else. Same with Ex-Driver (or whatever4 the hell is called), for example, where cars are absolutely center stage but the thing is not about cars, it's about cops. Same with, er... You're under arrest! was it? Where both girls are cops but also happen to be car enthusiasts, so cars are also center stage but it's not about cars. All those background are interesting and can give place to interesting stories. When a show is about a lame guy who races his stuff and that's all... well, yeah, no.

First of all, it is "You're Under Arrest" you're thinking of; that police drama/comedy about two girls and their (brutally) modified Honda Today, which could magically keep up with a 911 and store a motorbike in the back. The car wasn't the centre of attention, that was dedicated to the whole "buddy cops" dynamic between the characters, and that's the reason why it was so popular (and reasonably good as well). I wouldn't say that Ex-Driver is a good show per say, but it does attempt the making of a proper story, so there's that.

Initial D has some of the most fantastic driving in any TV series, and with the technical input from real-life drivers, it's actually pretty realistic. Wangan Midnight is somewhat the same... only it's more a primer on car tuning than driving. It would be absolutely fascinating to see the detail work on the exhaust of the Blackbird in real life.

-

But yeah, there's little in the way of compelling characters in either. In both, the main character isn't some underdog with an interesting backstory and a colorful personality... he's simply a blank slate for the audience to project themselves onto... a bit dull, almost completely devoid of personality, quiet and calm, except when he is not, and stupidly skilled.

Oh, and a homicidally reckless criminal, to boot. :lol:

The background characters are more interesting... though the more interesting ones are rarely in more than a few episodes.

-

Still, I wouldn't say they're not worth watching... not the best animes ever, but if you like nuts and bolts, it's like watching a Discovery Channel mockumentary series... :lol:

The driving is fantastic, but hardly accurate in some cases, and then you realize that most people wind up trying that in real life and failing miserably. It's like the case of that Nissan Silvia idiot in Initial D:

"ULTRA SUPER LATE BRAKING!" (fails and gets his car in a ditch) :lol:

Things like Capeta work a bit better because it's at least more grounded in reality. And the characters aren't as void as Mr. Akio and such.

First of all, it is "You're Under Arrest" you're thinking of; that police drama/comedy about two girls and their (brutally) modified Honda Today, which could magically keep up with a 911 and store a motorbike in the back. The car wasn't the centre of attention, that was dedicated to the whole "buddy cops" dynamic between the characters, and that's the reason why it was so popular (and reasonably good as well). I wouldn't say that Ex-Driver is a good show per say, but it does attempt the making of a proper story, so there's that.

Things like Capeta work a bit better because it's at least more grounded in reality. And the characters aren't as void as Mr. Akio and such.

Indeed. Even so, all those suck.

Put Evangelion before Initial D. Evangelion is actually worth watching.

I put Initial D first before Evangelion. If there was a thumbs down button, would you click it on me? I'm sure you would.

SVX
For a car Japanese car enthusiast, Initial D is very well worth watching.

I agree with you. I'm not as critical as some of you diehards here (you know who you are), but it's mindless entertainment.

No, it's not. The thing sucks.

Translation: it sucks. There's no way around it.

In fact, I'm gonna say right here and now that every car anime and manga sucks.

It's your opinion. I don't have to like it, but I don't care.

Just watched First Squad. Eww...
What it is about:
0006pfeb.jpg

I'd like to ask where I said Initial D was good - in fact, I never did. I of course know that as an actual anime it's trash, but when you're a Japanese car enthusiast those things don't matter. Personally, I don't watch anime based on if it's going to be some super 10/10 award winning thing, but rather if I'll enjoy it, which quite frankly I did.

Don't listen to these guys Tayeez, I'm sure you'll love it. I mean there's a GC8 later on too. :D

In other news... SNAFU is actually a pretty decent show. I lol'd quite a number of times. And I'll admit I can relate to a lot of people in the show because it almost exactly matches the modern teenager, at least that's what I observe IRL.

I prefer the one on the right, personally; her features are a lot more proportionate, and the shading doesn't look quite so flat. Oh, and her her cheeks don't bulge out too far, and her chin isn't massive. Okay, there's basically no nose, but if you're telling me that animators cut back on details to save time nowadays then you're remembering general '90s TV anime through some seriously rose-tinted lenses.

I'm not sure if I should like it or hate you for two minutes (I know, not long). Ironically, I just finished the anime, and the last episode... Wow. And
What the heck was that last segment about? I can't help but get the feeling that it is setting up for the movie. That, or Homura is no longer alone, which is a good thing.
I cried a little bit through it; all in all, it was a good investment. Next up: the two part movies. Probably after Angel Beats, or Chobits, or Cowboy Bebop, or Eva 2.22, or...

Last edited:
Touhou 14.5 has been released today at Reitaisai 12. And with it comes the Touhou 15 trial.

TsA6kVi.png

The characters of ULiL - the same as Hopeless Masquerade, with Mokou and Sukuna now along with the ride. And a new character...

2Mm8Qs2.png

This is Sumireko Usami, ULiL's new character. She is to Renko what Yukari is to Maribel. And that's awesome. Because I like both Maribel and Renko a lot.

YxpZ0is.jpg

o30IBzy.jpg

b4293f2ebe.jpg

Here are the first three LoLK characters introduced - Seiran, Ringo and Doremy Sweet respectively.
but first...
tumblr_inline_no4m9hV1ss1svyzts_540.png

Byakuren is a biker babe. Badass as ****.

I'm not sure if I should like it or hate you for two minutes (I know, not long). Ironically, I just finished the anime, and the last episode... Wow. And
What the heck was that last segment about? I can't help but get the feeling that it is setting up for the movie. That, or Homura is no longer alone, which is a good thing.
I cried a little bit through it; all in all, it was a good investment. Next up: the two part movies. Probably after Angel Beats, or Chobits, or Cowboy Bebop, or Eva 2.22, or...

You don't need to watch the first two movies. You can jump straight to the third one. But be prepared for a tremendous amount of thinking in your part.

Is Madoka Magica really as dark as people make it out to be? It has gauged my interest a little bit.

SVX
I'd like to ask where I said Initial D was good - in fact, I never did. I of course know that as an actual anime it's trash, but when you're a Japanese car enthusiast those things don't matter. Personally, I don't watch anime based on if it's going to be some super 10/10 award winning thing, but rather if I'll enjoy it, which quite frankly I did.

Don't listen to these guys Tayeez, I'm sure you'll love it. I mean there's a GC8 later on too. :D

Well well well, I am a Japanese Car Enthusiast, plus you said the Magic word :D

Initial D, here I come!

Is Madoka Magica really as dark as people make it out to be?

No. It's nowhere near as dark as people make it out to be. Certainly not a lighthearted anime full of hilariously cute szyslak moments, but nonetheless it's certainly not the ultimate misery gloom fest some will claim it is.

What it is is a brilliant piece of storytelling with a superb and unusual art style. Also, it's something that's worth avoiding spoilers for and just watching blind, provided one is prepared for the fact that it starts slowly.

Latest Posts

Back