The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,818 comments
Nope, you're certainly not alone in that regard. 👍

I didn't dislike Madoka, but it didn't impress or shock me the same way it did to other people. Partly because I knew it was supposed to be messed up, and partly because I've already seen a fair share of messed up anime... stuff much more messed up than Madoka.

Not yet, nor do I want to. I'm not great with colours, but if there's one thing I can do that most (anime drawing) people choose not to do, it's Black and White art... I do'nt want to sell crappy work, be proud and known for this quality of work that's not up to snuff. :P

Compared to some of the things I've seen at cons your work blows theirs out of the water! Do commissions. Make money.

Am I the only one in this thread that doesn't really care for Madoka?

Yep. Walter is lying.

I didn't dislike Madoka, but it didn't impress or shock me the same way it did to other people. Partly because I knew it was supposed to be messed up, and partly because I've already seen a fair share of messed up anime... stuff much more messed up than Madoka.

I liked it so much because I didn't know it was going to be messed up. I thought it was going to be another boring magical girl show. I was delightfully surprised.

OADA with Rei:

26.jpg

Bonus:

26-2.jpg

Haven't seen Berzerk. :P

Off the top of my head, examples of anime more messed up than Madoka would include Elfen Lied, Gantz, and Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion. Hell, even Serial Experiments Lain.

I liked it so much because I didn't know it was going to be messed up. I thought it was going to be another boring magical girl show. I was delightfully surprised.
It's definitely not your average run-of-the-mill magical girl crap. I wouldn't have bothered watching it if I thought it was. I went in expecting messed up, and was definitely amused by how it was messed up. But everything else about it was pretty unmemorable. Not only that, but IMO the show's final attempt at being shocking and messed up, the ending, was a total flop.

Last edited:
I would have said Elfen Lied as well, but the big twist in episode 10 was a refreshing experience...

you may not have liked it as much as we did because SOMEONE spoiled it for you :P

I didn't really care for it either but its just different..everything is different. I like how there are a few non anime cameos.

like Bible black.

I would have said Elfen Lied as well, but the big twist in episode 10 was a refreshing experience...

you may not have liked it as much as we did because SOMEONE spoiled it for you :P

Who me? Nothing about the show was spoiled, except for the fact that it was messed up. And I loved the messed up aspect of the show, so i doubt it had a huge impact on why I don't like it as much as you guys. It might be partially responsible, but I'd wager most of it has to do with having seen many better messed up anime series. 👍

But yeah, episode 10 of Madoka was pretty awesome. Most of the reason why Madoka's just "okay" for me and not great has to do with the ending where

Madoka wishes to vanquish all witches of past, present and future and thus save every other Puella Magi from their fate

Who me? Nothing about the show was spoiled, except for the fact that it was messed up. And I loved the messed up aspect of the show, so i doubt it had a huge impact on why I don't like it as much as you guys. It might be partially responsible, but I'd wager most of it has to do with having seen many better messed up anime series. 👍

But yeah, episode 10 of Madoka was pretty awesome. Most of the reason why Madoka's just "okay" for me and not great has to do with the ending where

Madoka wishes to vanquish all witches of past, present and future and thus save every other Puella Magi from their fate

Madoka is another Noel..:lol:

and becomes a GOD.

Dem some nice Asuka pics. :drool:

I don't remember if they said it in the show or not, I don't think they did, but when do you guys reckon the first Puella Magi came into being? Doesn't particularly matter, just that the older it is...
The more exponentially flawed the ending is. :lol:

By preventing the existence of the witches and thus saving the Puella Magi from their fate, presumably greatly extending their life and giving them a chance to reproduce, Madoka's wish should've had drastic implications to everybody's family trees starting since the time of the first Puella Magi. In all likelihood, everybody who Madoka knew from her timeline wouldn't even exist in the new timeline created from her wish. There would still be people, they just wouldn't be the same people.

Yeah I'm sure they were going for total accuracy and not entertainment... :P

Nice pics dice!

Yeah I'm sure they were going for total accuracy and not entertainment... :P

Nice pics dice!
And it succeeded at being entertaining. But it broke my suspension of disbelief entirely, so it fell short of greatness.

Time travel stuff done sloppily is a pet peeve of mine. An example of time travel done well would be The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I've tried to poke holes in that one, but all possible flaws I've come up with can be conveniently explained away. 👍

And it succeeded at being entertaining. But it broke my suspension of disbelief entirely, so it fell short of greatness.

Time travel stuff done sloppily is a pet peeve of mine. An example of time travel done well would be The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I've tried to poke holes in that one, but all possible flaws I've come up with can be conveniently explained away. 👍

Haha I understand you I am just way too sarcastic.

gre6eXaKrJc_b8Q1sb_c==

hmm Loli lovers :lol:

All I get is a no hotlinking picture. Not that I was trying to view it or anything...

Dem some nice Asuka pics. :drool:

I don't remember if they said it in the show or not, I don't think they did, but when do you guys reckon the first Puella Magi came into being? Doesn't particularly matter, just that the older it is...
The more exponentially flawed the ending is. :lol:

By preventing the existence of the witches and thus saving the Puella Magi from their fate, presumably greatly extending their life and giving them a chance to reproduce, Madoka's wish should've had drastic implications to everybody's family trees starting since the time of the first Puella Magi. In all likelihood, everybody who Madoka knew from her timeline wouldn't even exist in the new timeline created from her wish. There would still be people, they just wouldn't be the same people.

When you become a witch, whether by losing hope or letting your Soul Gem turn black from the magic, that's it. Game over. Done. No longer human.

Madokas with was to prevent the girls from turning to witches. Which is why you see her appear to Puella Magis in the ending, stopping them from becoming witches when they're on their deathbed.

Plus, whatever energy Kyuubey was collecting just turned into those giant shadows at the end instead of completely disappearing.

When you become a witch, whether by losing hope or letting your Soul Gem turn black from the magic, that's it. Game over. Done. No longer human.

Madokas with was to prevent the girls from turning to witches. Which is why you see her appear to Puella Magis in the ending, stopping them from becoming witches when they're on their deathbed.

Plus, whatever energy Kyuubey was collecting just turned into those giant shadows at the end instead of completely disappearing.

Indeed, but

By preventing the Puella Magi from turning into witches, you're preventing other Puella Magi from having to use their own magic to vanquish them. No witches to vanquish = no need to use their magic = no black soul gems. Unless they use their magic for their own selfish reasons, in which case they're just as bad as a witch. And they're altering the course of history while they're at it.

And even ignoring the fate of the Puella Magi, the very absence of the witches would alter people's fate enough on its own.

Oh, and epic Gendo pic, nk4e. 👍
...and the lolis. :drool:

Last edited:
Indeed, but

By preventing the Puella Magi from turning into witches, you're preventing other Puella Magi from having to use their own magic to vanquish them. No witches to vanquish = no need to use their magic = no black soul gems. Unless they use their magic for their own selfish reasons, in which case they're just as bad as a witch. And they're altering the course of history while they're at it.

And even ignoring the fate of the Puella Magi, the very absence of the witches would alter people's fate enough on its own.

Oh, and epic Gendo pic, nk4e. 👍
...and the lolis. :drool:

Sounds like you didn't watch it to the end. They explained what it's like without witches. There's still something the Puella Magi have to fight. And I think the Puella Magi Oriko Magica manga takes place after Madoka

I think this image from the manga (adapted from the anime) would get my point across.

u155.jpg

Why don't you change the subject then?

I went to an anime shop today.. place kinda grosses me out.

Mousepads with breast rest pads.... handkerchiefs with printed images taken off google, coaster pads with stuff off of google... these people forreal... :odd: Why? Just, why?

I'M FINALLY DONE!

yurippe3.png

Nice! You certainly are coming along. I used to do pencil and my only good portraits were off of photos... Takes a lot of practice and perhaps instruction to be able to do a person from scratch. Mountains, trees, easy. People hard.

Nice drawing skills, AOS-.
Just got done watching episode 6 of Clannad. This ****'s too damn sappy. :P

Awww, you're just afraid to shed some man tears. Or maybe you're not up to that yet... but Clannad does have its merits and it worth a watch, I think you'll agree if you finish it.

It way okay, but I didn't love it.

Like Berzerk? :lol:

and yes, Berserk is way more messed up, but it's also kind of gross...:yuck:

Gantz, and Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion. Hell, even Serial Experiments Lain.

these, too (haven't seen Elfen Leid)

I like this one!

I believe, sir, you are quoting me here!:lol: I've definitely said the exact same thing, though perhaps that was in another thread...:odd:

Sounds like you didn't watch it to the end. They explained what it's like without witches. There's still something the Puella Magi have to fight. And I think the Puella Magi Oriko Magica manga takes place after Madoka

I think this image from the manga (adapted from the anime) would get my point across.

u155.jpg

Oh ok.
I guess they did put in those new things that the Puella Magi have to fight. So instead of the Puella Magi becoming witches, they just die and one of these new non-witch things poofs into existence to wreak the exact same havoc that the witch would've. Kinda lame, but it works I suppose.

Awww, you're just afraid to shed some man tears. Or maybe you're not up to that yet...
Nope. I gladly shed buckets of man-tears when something's genuinely moving, even if it isn't gut-wrenchingly sad. This stuff though is more likely to induce tears of laughter or agony than sadness. We'll see if it gets any better, but really, the show is failing miserably (so far) to make me care about any of the characters or the situations they're in. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the dramatic moment at the end of episode 6. Not to say the show is terrible though... I'm enjoying the humorous aspects of it.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't say it's bad gross, I put it in the same quality category as Durarara, Fate/Stay night, FMA (the first), CANAAN, FMP Fumoffu, Gungrave, Gunsmith Cats, GUNxSWORD, and Guin Saga, which is to say it's good, not bad, but also not great..

Back