The GT7 Livery Editor Competition #06 (Stepping Up!) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 134 comments
I know a great company never featured in a race car, have some cool cars to try it out but no time whatsoever. Life is hard.

And to add insult to injury there’s is now two LECs for me to fail to submit at the same time.

Hopefully I will be back home to properly post my entry to this comp here, have the media files all ready to go too... Buuuut I'm not confident I'll get it right by doing it on a tablet, so I'll be doing it when I return to a proper PC

You can always preview your post in the top right corner of the text box ;)
True but I am terrible with touch screens without a stylus :lol: I don't get how the technology moved away from the perfection of touch capacitive screens like the Nintendo DS but there we go

[download link]

well now I have recovered from my mild stroke I can thankfully post my livery here 👍
The above livery was conceptualised as a Gr5 machine idea first and foremost, making a build around a car and doing the livery on it... but the choice of spinsor was fairly tricky for a brief moment before i thought "wait my mother works at -main sponsor- why dont I do that! - and thus this livery idea was born, which proved fairly simple but fun to make, and getting the colours JUST RIGHT was tricky in itself, and the real world sponsors (Cricut and Daler Rowley are indeed real companies that Hobbycraft sell their products of as well as their own & a few others) overall i am very happy with it and considering at the time it was one of the few liveries i have made in GT7 since returning to livery making in general too, as i hadnt done it for some time until recently. As for the design itself, it mainly has basic gloss for the main colour, but using a B7 L Flake to represent the hobbycraft glitter paper they sell, even with a similar shade (or at least as close as i could get to it) too, even had the Hobbycraft Club membership thing they have on their website dispayed on the car too :) though i did have to slap on some real world motorsporyt sponsors as well how else would I be able to do any racing? and a custom number display to complete the package

Last edited:
Ahh 2002, a simpler ti.... errr ok yeah scratch that. Anyway, here's a fake entry for that years Spa 24 Hours. The Diablo was on the way out, soon to be replaced by the incoming Murcielago R-GT. So suppose a no name team ended up with chassis, suppose they wrangled up two Dutchmen and a Belgian who originally weren't doing much during the race (I hope), and suppose a (at that point anyway) fairly successful general household goods store had some spare money to throw at them. Maybe we would have ended up with something like this on the grid.

For this competition I focused on the small, and local aspect...

That said - let me tell you a little story… in the late 90’s, whilst still at school I started a part-time job in a small independent HiFi shop. In the early 00’s business was going well, the internet had opened new opportunities and help with market awareness, but hadn’t yet decimated margins or torpedoed high street retail. With a surplus of profits the boss man decided to revisit a passion he had as a young man, racing.

It was decided that once the lease was up on his RX-8, we’d take it racing. The series chosen was the Britcar endurance championship. Still very much a grass-roots championship offering ease of access in production classes, but gaining notoriety through an appearance on Top Gear, it seemed like a good choice. Also, the flagship Dunlop 24 hours of Silverstone was an event I very much enjoyed spectating at before it was absorbed into the Creventic 24h series (and eventually died).

Once the RX-8 was available, it was sent to a local motorsport garage run by a mechanic that was looking after my own BMW 635CSi at the time. The owner had some experience with racing, and had been chosen to run a couple of RX-8’s in the Britcar 24 at about the same time. The car was kept very close to production spec, and didn’t take long to prepare.

In terms of livery, though there was no real sponsorship, we opted to advertise the brands we sold as a shop. We were able to use the coverage to negotiate some favourable deals on a few orders for shop stock, but no money really changed hands. We raided the point-of-sale cupboard for stickers and vinyls, and set about liverying up the car. A couple of the sales reps provided stickers too, though the only company that helped out financially was Meridian, so we spent that money on a Carbon Fibre wing and put their logo on it. The wheels were provided by a customer that was keen to get involved, even the local sandwich shop got in on the act by catering for us over the race weekend, so they got a sticker too!

Come the 24hr race the following year, we were ready to take the green flag… and the rest as they say, is history.

The most interesting part of this story is that it’s mostly made up!

I did work in Hifi shop (for 17 years), the boss did have an RX-8 and did enjoy tuning up his cars when he was young. All the brands on the car are those that we sold. Guglielmi motorsport did do most of the work on my 635CSi barn find, and Steve did run RX-8’s for Mazda in the Britcar 24 - which is obviously a real event and was on Top Gear - and I did love going to watch it. Everything else is made up, though the girls at the sandwich shop round the corner did make a good stotty.

FINALE ENTRY
BILLY BOY AMG
PS4 base

RealJaySee
  • For those who can create decals themselves: take a look around your house. I currently live in a studio and from where I am sitting, I can see the logo of my refrigerator/microwave, a bottle of olive oil, 10 bottles of liquor, 2 guitars, 2 amplifiers,... all brands that never sponsored a racecar. Didn't even have to leave my sofa.
Having followed these instructions I found a small black box with colourful design in my bedroom drawer. This inspired my livery.
Made research and couldn't find a Billy Boy Racer – just John Surtees' sponsorship deal with a London Rubber Company, which would see his team's main F1 car emblazoned with the Durex brand in 1976.
My car is a street-legal AMG GT R '17, unfortunately there's no rollcage available in the shop. Hope you like it, though.

FINAL ENTRY

Conrad's Honda (Acura) Integra

PS4 Base

Conrad's is a tire retailer and auto shop chain in North East Ohio. For this comp I created the fictional character of Justin Kirthart; a local grassroots racer who's dad, who works at the Conrad's corporate office, is helping him in his racing endeavors by pulled a few favors and got his first sponsor. Most of the stickers aren't any real indication of sponsorship, mainly just slapped on whenever Justin ordered a new part for his 1998 Honda (that's really an Acura) Integra.

Download

Last edited:

originally planing an IKEA livery I realised looking at the entries that it would be too toned down with only those two colours, I needed to step up!

So I made myself a drink, sat down to figure something out. Then the idea came to me, why not use the drink as inspiration.
So this is a car sponsored by Finlandia and Kahlua to inspire people to mix a White Russian. The Diary company Arla also joined in.
It's for a supposed race series that runs both circuit and dirt.

I got help with feedback from my team and here's the final version of the White Russian car. Cheers!

Last edited:
the big lebowski GIF

I wanted to do a Shakey's Pizza car, but sadly when I did a search I found a couple stockcars from the 70s. This was a good fallback.

The Driftwood Dairy GTR. When I was growing up, all of the milk and dairy products in our local schools were provided by Driftwood. I remember seeing the box truck every morning, half white and half yellow with the red bumpers and frame. Red and blue stripe separating the yellow and white, with the cow head alongside the logo.

The trucks look much different now, and trying to copy their large colorful farm image in this game was something I was never going to waste my time on. Thankfully I was able to create a simple trace of "Drifty" the cow without too much effort.

As for the livery itself, I decided to emulate the design they used on their milk cartons, with a color ribbon underneath the logo separating the white top from a colored bottom. The color printed on the carton depended on the type and flavor of the milk. Simple example would be brown for chocolate and pink for strawberry. I went with gold just because I love the look of white and gold combined.

I continued the ribbon stripe double tone across the hood and roof. Wasn't sure how to finish it toward the rear, then I felt it made sense to make look like a normal centered double stripe that would transform into the ribbon.

It was tough figuring out how I wanted each corner to be done with the design not being symmetrical from one side to the other, but I'm happy with where I left it. Making the ribbon swoop over the right front and left rear wheels was tricky to make look right.

Anyway, I hope you like it. Enjoy it here!

Last edited:
Back