This game does everything in its power to demotivate me to play it

• Thread starter Alex p.
  • 540 comments
I can almost guarantee you that all the guys dropping poop emojis and complaining about this, have more hours than me..

It's why they're not dropping any facts, just opinions..
You notice I'm the first one in here to post cold hard numbers, these kids just want to whine.
You want facts?

Total cost of all cars 435 million and rising thanks to inflation in the LCD.
Total credits required to modify a large number of those cars - at least 50 million

Current best rate of earning credits - 1.7M per hour.
Earning credits rate if you play online only - 500k per hour

That's a best case scenario in time of around 300 hours of driving the same four races over and over and over and over.
If you just play online, see you in 1,000+ hours.

But it's paranoid and hyperbolic to say it's designed to stop anyone from playing.
Indeed, but that doesn't mean it's design isn't stopping some from playing.

To use another title as an example, I'm a long term Battlefield fan, but the design of BF2042 has most certainly stopped me playing. I'm quite sure that wasn't the design intention of the game, but it's been the end result of the design.

The game has issues. But it's paranoid and hyperbolic to say it's designed to stop anyone from playing.
Not at all. It's clear what the game is designed around. And frankly, I am not interested in running that tread mill if what I am going to get out of it is peanuts, and an ever diminishing amount of fun, and simply waiting for Polyphony to build the rest of the game like they are clearly doing.

You want facts?

Total cost of all cars 435 million and rising thanks to inflation in the LCD.
Total credits required to modify a large number of those cars - at least 50 million

Current best rate of earning credits - 1.7M per hour.
Earning credits rate if you play online only - 500k per hour

That's a best case scenario in time of around 300 hours of driving the same four races over and over and over and over.
If you just play online, see you in 1,000+ hours.
I'd be happy with 500k per hour in Sport mode. You're lucky to hit 100k even if you podium each race. The time in between races takes way too long also, so you're probably looking at >70k per hour. It's just sad...

It's the saddest GT ever.....
It honestly is. And I hate to admit it. Aside from people wanting more cars and tracks, I just want more content to use what's already in the game, and not feel cheated after doing a race. They force you to pick between 4-5 decently paying races, while having dozens more from the Cafe that are only worth playing once due to the low payout. Not counting missions that you literally can only play once.

When GT5 was released, I was still playing GT4 and loving it, completely offline. (It might have been GT6 but regardless, I didn't own either)

Looking over at my neighbour's fence, however, and seeing the financial rewards for the online portion of the game and bursting with anticipation to a time when a sufficiently decent internet connection would allow me to get in on the action. Fast forward a few years and bam! we got GT Sport. I'm in heaven, not only am I given the opportunity to fine tune my racecraft against actual, thinking humans, but the credits will come flying in. Turns out I never really spent credits in that game but that's not the point... GT7 was going to take me to $$$-town, and presumably the better my driving, the better the rewards.

Does it make any sense to anyone on here that you don't get memorable amounts for a good performance in tough, unpredictable races against people who have also invested their time?

Or am I totally off the mark with my memory of large payouts in the old days?

Last edited:
When GT5 was released, I was still playing GT4 and loving it, completely offline. (It might have been GT6 but regardless, I didn't own either)

Looking over at my neighbour's fence, however, and seeing the financial rewards for the online portion of the game and bursting with anticipation to a time when a sufficiently decent internet connection would allow me to get in on the action. Fast forward a few years and bam! we got GT Sport. I'm in heaven, not only am I given the opportunity to fine tune my racecraft against actual, thinking humans, but the credits will come flying in. Turns out I never really spent credits in that game but that's not the point... GT7 was going to take me to $$$-town, and presumably the better my driving, the better the rewards.

Does it make any sense to anyone on here that you don't get memorable amounts for a good performance in tough, unpredictable races against people who have also invested their time?

Or am I totally off the mark with my memory of large payouts in the old days?
There were large pay-outs in GT6 Quick Match if you had the 200% login bonus but that's about the only place it's ever occurred in an online GT game. Edit: There were also reasonable rewards for another section too that's pay-outs were based on the pp of the car you used (the lower the pp the greater the reward), but I can't remember what it was called.

It was common place to get over 500k for a win in a lobby that wasn't even full, and with the rapid fire nature of the racing you could easily max out the 20 million credit cap. I and my fellow Quick Matchers were forever buying duplicates and all the accessories for all of the cars in our vast garages just to avoid the credit cap.

Why we don't have these sort of pay-outs for online racing now is ridiculous... especially for Sport Mode.

Last edited:
Is it too much to ask a player to play for no reward (activity=fun just to be a reward)? Fun has worked out until a few years ago and suddenly no one does anything anymore just because, it all has to be "worth my time". If the game isnt worth your time, this is fine, it is your time after all, but there is no fault in the game for this.
Is it too much to ask a developer to make games for free? Why does it all have to be "profit margins" and "sales numbers"?

There were large pay-outs in GT6 Quick Match if you had the 200% login bonus but that's about the only place it's ever occurred in an online GT game. Edit: There were also reasonable rewards for another section too that's pay-outs were based on the pp of the car you used (the lower the pp the greater the reward), but I can't remember what it was called.

It was common place to get over 500k for a win in a lobby that wasn't even full, and with the rapid fire nature of the racing you could easily max out the 20 million credit cap. I and my fellow Quick Matchers were forever buying duplicates and all the accessories for all of the cars in our vast garages just to avoid the credit cap.

Why we don't have these sort of pay-outs for online racing now is ridiculous... especially for Sport Mode.
I remember getting mildly annoyed in GT6 at having to quit the quick races to unburden myself of all those pesky millions cluttering up my credit balance. :lol:

The credit cap in GT6 was 50 millions...

The credit cap in GT6 was 50 millions...
Must of misremembered, but thanks for the correction :cheers:. A small error on my part, it was GT5 (Edit: and Sport without the DLC) with the 20,000,000 cap. They all seem to run into each other in my old, not as good as it used to be memory. :)

Last edited:
How do you feel about all this?
If that was their goal, they certainly succeeded. I haven't played the game in 2 weeks. Can't be bothered. It's not fun as Gran Turismo used to be fun.

And before anyone wants to chime in with "oh you're just bitter and jaded". Let me tell you my fine feathered friend, that I actually completed both GT1 and GT2 leading up to the release of GT7, and absolutely loved every minute of it. The same unfortunately can't be said for GT7.

I and my fellow Quick Matchers were forever buying duplicates and all the accessories for all of the cars in our vast garages just to avoid the credit cap.
I've fallen a long way on that front. One 15 million car (Daytona) in Sport and a 20 million credit car gifted by the wheel. I mean, it's my fault for not playing as much or wanting to grind when I did but that's seriously bad coming from having 70+ Miura's in GT6 to none in 5 years of GTS. I bought the Daytona thinking I'd get a Miura later... Yeah, right. Even after all the game was done and dusted with updates and me completing everything they brought, I was still scratching for credits.

...and here I am with 7, sighing and expecting exactly the same experience. Yay. Can't wait.

It's turned into the Gran Torture franchise.:lol:

I've fallen a long way on that front. One 15 million car (Daytona) in Sport and a 20 million credit car gifted by the wheel. I mean, it's my fault for not playing as much or wanting to grind when I did but that's seriously bad coming from having 70+ Miura's in GT6 to none in 5 years of GTS. I bought the Daytona thinking I'd get a Miura later... Yeah, right. Even after all the game was done and dusted with updates and me completing everything they brought, I was still scratching for credits.

...and here I am with 7, sighing and expecting exactly the same experience. Yay. Can't wait.

It's turned into the Gran Torture franchise.:lol:
I don't see at your fault mate. None of us should have to grind, especially not like in GT Sport and GT7. PD need to up the money to similar to what we had in Quick Matches for Sport Mode and you can bet your bottom dollar that Sport Mode will gain in popularity. I'd go back to running the new no DR/SR races in a heartbeat if that was the case.

I never ended up with all the 20 million cars in GT Sport (one short I think) but had most others... but it took many goes at the Nürburgring with MX5 glitch early on the piece to get even close to the amount I had. I'm actually closer with GT7 thanks to the AFK method. I can see why people don't want to do it but for me it makes sense. My computer is on all day anyway so there's not much more expense and the short time I do get to play these days I can do what I want rather than the mindless grind.

Edit: #Make Gran Turismo Fun Again!

Last edited:
Ah, I got bored of that glitch after an hour as well but I sure regretted it later.

Thinking about it, the grind was in 5 and 6 too but I but I put a lot more time into them back then and never noticed it. If someone didn't do the seasonal's and qm's, they probably would have.

I've heard about the remote thing but not looked into it yet. I will tomorrow. I'm gonna need all the help I can get with how much I play nowadays.

The way I see it, a complete singleplayer GT7 playthrough (cafe, winning all races/championships, all gold CE/licenses/missions) doesn't get you even close to collecting all the cars available in the game, which is an explicit goal that the game sets out for you.

So that leaves two conclusions:

1. There's a severe lack of singleplayer content.
2. The game expects you to make up for that lack through either grinding 4 high paying races repeatedly or MTX purchases.

Last edited:
39 levels of performing favours for some old man in cafe mode
Wow, that changes the whole feel what “microtransactions” mean in this game . . .
😳
Speaking of roulette tickets. I've gotten 3 invites for the Carerra GT - A car that I own.
I feel ya, bro. I got a four star ticket today and would have been happy with the $3 of pocket change that I usually get, but they hit me with yet another Ferrari invitation which I already had, still active, and had already bought their dang cars anyway! Even worse than useless!

Just reusing some quotes from the predictions thread, two and a half years ago.
When I play Assetto Corsa(PS4 & XB1) and PC2(XB1), the amount of tracks is not really important. AC has few tracks, but they have quality circuits(Imola, Catalunya, Magione, Mugello, Silverstone, Nurb layouts, RBR, Zandvoort, Vallelunga). Meanwhile PC2 have the most quality tracks on console(Algarve to Road America and everything inbetween).

It comes down to what options can be utilised, to keep me playing. I keep playing those two games because of the AI challenge, the car list and being able to race the way I want. Assigning cars to the AI(AC), mixing classes(PC2), doing a track day with F1 cars on the track together with Alfa GTVs(AC), re-creating ToD & weather transitions in a proper WEC Multi-class race at Fuji Speedway and a classic 1960s race at classic 1960s Spa(PC2).

If the Next GT only came with the tracks we have now, as long as it has the options like I mentioned above, there is infinite re-playability. Players can play the game however they wish to play. I feel that's paramount.
At this stage, the number of tracks in GT7 don't bother me. it's still the lack of fine tuning. We can rce Formula cars with classic road cars. We can't do exact replicas of some real world series, but close enough. Replayability is high, but the compromises of rewardsandlack of any kind of save option is killing that same replayability.
I like the GTPSP Cr. multiplier. I think it was when racing at Nurburgring, two or four laps was about 1 million Cr. That would vastly make Custom racing on par with rewards in GT League.

Still a problem that needs addressing and it's real simple to rectify.

Isn’t that just the company messing up? You did a book an exact car you just didn’t get it. OP was saying you just book a type of car and then find out what it is when you get it.
Hence my utter frustration/disappointment that a major international car rental company believes a Swedish tractor is in the same class as a German sports car >:-( How is a medium sized 4 door petrol sedan is "in the same class" as a large 5 door, diesel station wagon?

What worries me most is what Sony's philosophies are going to be for their live service games. They have several in development and if GT7 is a sign of things to come, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

I still stand by my unfounded theory that Sony wants to be done with PD and they're actively sabotaging it.

What worries me most is what Sony's philosophies are going to be for their live service games. They have several in development and if GT7 is a sign of things to come, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

I still stand by my unfounded theory that Sony wants to be done with PD and they're actively sabotaging it.

i'm definitely more in the "shortsighted and incompetent" camp than any "conspiracy and intentional sabotage" camp, but it makes no difference. The end result is a product that sucks for the consumer.

The ultimate irony is that compared to the one other Sony published game that has this sort of monetization deal that I have decent amounts of experience in (MLB The Show) is relatively fair throughout, doesn't really pressure you to buy micro-transactions, and rewards you in Diamond Dynasty greatly through simply playing the modes they offer.

This is squarely contained within GT7. Which speaks a lot to how much this lies at the feet of Polyphony.

The ultimate irony is that compared to the one other Sony published game that has this sort of monetization deal that I have decent amounts of experience in (MLB The Show) is relatively fair throughout, doesn't really pressure you to buy micro-transactions, and rewards you in Diamond Dynasty greatly through simply playing the modes they offer.

This is squarely contained within GT7. Which speaks a lot to how much this lies at the feet of Polyphony.
That's true. MLB does it better than any other sports game I have played in recent years.

i'm definitely more in the "shortsighted and incompetent" camp than any "conspiracy and intentional sabotage" camp, but it makes no difference. The end result is a product that sucks for the consumer.
Sony was pretty miffed about Days Gone. By all accounts a pretty good game (I really liked it) that sold well but because of its launch issuenof being rife with bugs, as well as some other circumstances that might not be so obvious to us, the game was denied a sequel, despite the devs practically begging for the chance.

GT7 has no properly working lobbies and is rife with bugs and nonsensical design decisions so it really wouldn't surprised me if Jim and Herman are looking ahead and contemplating what to do with Polyphony.

Eh I doubt it's anything like that, PD haven't really changed in 15 years. Remember, they wanted to do GT HD with cars and tracks for sale individually, that was long before anything like that was an industry wide thing or something from Sony. That was 100% their idea, and with MTs in all their games since GT6, I strongly believe those are all down to them as well. This is the game they want to deliver.

Back