This game does everything in its power to demotivate me to play it

• Thread starter Alex p.
  • 540 comments
This was proven false from the second that Polyphony put micro-transactions into the game's day one update, considering the fact that the micro-transactions are accompanying you with every in game purchase made with credits, you cannot turn them off, and even after the issues with the economy at launch, Polyphony did not remove them and instead seem primed on applying them a second time, in an even worse capacity.

Every major gameplay loop is more or less predicated on having micro-transactions be apart of the mix. That you can't disable them in game either is clear on that as well.
So exactly how does this statement from you prove that you’re “forced” to purchase MTX’s?

Really dumb that the game doesnt adequately reward you for lobbies or sport mode and instead forces you to grind through 39 levels of performing favours for some old man in cafe mode so you can even access the events that you grind for the best payout. Its a chore.

It really compounds the pitiful number of new cars when many of them are so expensive that most players will never drive them before they shut the servers off.

Last edited:
Must strongly disagree from experience here. A few years ago I booked a Ford Focus from Hertz at Heathrow and ended up with a VW Polo. Near enough so I away I went.

It then got really heated in Cologne when I was on my way to the Nürburgring and ordered a BMW M3 from Hertz and got a Volvo S60 diesel station wagon!!!! All of a sudden the staff couldn't speak English >:-(

When I got back to Australia I sent some very nasty letters to Hertz and they did refund my money BUT still maintained that a Swedish tractor was in the same class a German Sports car.

So no, I doesn't seem to me you get what you order and only what they want to push on you. I should add, Americans are far more accommodating with rentals IME.

I should add driving around Germany in a Swedish tractor was not fun. I just wish I had a sports bike on some of those magnificent roads ;-)

BTW I did do 5 laps of the Nordschleife in a VW Scirroco race car so it did make up for the tractor ;-)
Isn’t that just the company messing up? You did a book an exact car you just didn’t get it. OP was saying you just book a type of car and then find out what it is when you get it.

Feel like there might be something more going on "industry wide". This isn't the first AAA game to drop in a clearly unfinished state and also get painfully slow updates. Used to be that big games would drop, get day 1 + weekly patches, and usually there would be DLC within a month (not that I'm a fan of DLC). I dunno, feels like the industry is reluctant to spend money on post-release currently.

I got 2 kids under age of 5, so I'm only able to play a little before bed, thus I only have 180 hours (55 hours driven) in the game since bought on release.
Mate, that's averaging about 2 hours every single day since release. Every single day. 180 hours playing, and you're almost at having access to half the cars available.

If you think 2 hours every day is "only playing a little before bed", you might like to know that a lot of people would disagree with that assessment. If you're putting more than 10 hours a week into a game you're really pretty dedicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
So exactly how does this statement from you prove that you’re “forced” to purchase MTX’s?
It is ingame, so it has to be used.
Like in the same way, all cars have to be owned and very likely the garage has to be filled to the top.

This makes no sense
That is exactly the point. :)
The question you asked "forced to purchase mtx" doesnt have any reasonable answer other than players not willing to earn the credits by playing, because they are feeling they could miss a legendary or used car.

I haven't read all the messages in this thread but what I don't get is that the new events in the latest update do not pay a decent amount of credits. The races are quite nice though. I figured that if PD is against repetitive grinding, all events that are added in updates would have a similar credits v.s. time with maybe a little reduction on races with slower cars as most of those are cheaper.

I haven't read all the messages in this thread but what I don't get is that the new events in the latest update do not pay a decent amount of credits. The races are quite nice though. I figured that if PD is against repetitive grinding, all events that are added in updates would have a similar credits v.s. time with maybe a little reduction on races with slower cars as most of those are cheaper.
In addition PD should harmonise all rewards at the higher level, so that you have more than just 4 races that pay decently.

In addition PD should harmonise all rewards at the higher level, so that you have more than just 4 races that pay decently.
Yes that is exactly what I mean. I was hoping they'd adjust payouts for the other events but I didn't really expect them to. But I did expect them to at least have the new events from the latest update at the same level as the events from the previous update.

Last edited:
That’s how I’ve always done it too. If you book ahead you can often get any vehicle the company has as they can move them from branch to branch. The idea that you book a hatchback and it’s lucky dip or something is a bit peculiar to me.

Yes and if that vehicle out of stock when you arrive, tend to upgrade you.

Really dumb that the game doesnt adequately reward you for lobbies or sport mode and instead forces you to grind through 39 levels of performing favours for some old man in cafe mode so you can even access the events that you grind for the best payout. Its a chore.

It really compounds the pitiful number of new cars when many of them are so expensive that most players will never drive them before they shut the servers off.
Imagine getting through the trouble of completing the café mode, expecting to receive a higher payout after unlocking Sport mode, and the game gives you the same amount of credits as some of the beginner/intermediate events when you first started the game.

Did anyone here had received a reasonable amount of credits in Sport mode?

That is exactly the point. :)
The question you asked "forced to purchase mtx" doesnt have any reasonable answer other than players not willing to earn the credits by playing, because they are feeling they could miss a legendary or used car.
No one is forced to buy mtc, in any way shape or form.
It is incredibly clear that the game has been purposely designed like a Free to play game and push people towards them though. hence why people say they feel forced to buy them.

They aren't forced to buy them, but fomo makes them feel pressured into buying some.

Pd have made design decisions around pushing people to MTX, its clear to anyone with a brain. The slow economy, the limited time cars in UCD, LCD and invitations, the lack of ability to sell cars.. all features to create a "I must buy it now before it goes away" attitude but with a lack of ability to earn a decent amount of credits in the timeframe provided .... MTX saves the day!

Its a proven method in free to play games to milk their customers for as much as possible.

I think PD forgot their game isn't free to play though.. Its really sad that they have released GT7 the way they have. Its a broken, incomplete mess with a horrible economy. The main thing that annoys people here is that the game is only 1 decent update away from being great but PD don't seem to want to do this. Since the game has been out for 3 months now, it appears they are insistent on continuing to lie to its customers and keep this broken game as it is with a few hours worth of content dropped every month.

I mean come on! How can they have no fixed the lobbies by now? how were they even this bad to begin with?

Café mode is not bad to play ya get a **** load off cars doing it, same with licences and circuit experience I've only bronzed licences and circuit experience with a few golds, played less than a dozen sport mode races (got sick of getting punted n losing 5 seconds n the wanker that punted me gained 8seconds), I've earnt most my credits doing races i like in cars like driving on tracks that like doing maybe done 8-12mill on boring tomahawk races, did have some fun on the gr.b rally car track before it was nerfed driving different cars n tunes. Ya just got to work out how to make the game fun to play for yourself im at about 99% car collections only need 2 LCD cars (about 20mill each car) and the red bull GT cars. Will get all the cars n then do the licences and circuit experience i didn't get golds on n then have some fun on the sport races and tuning cars and getting widebody kits on a few cars (dont like that when you tune and widebody kit a car you cant use it on sport mode races)

So today's gift from the game that keeps on giving; did the Sardegna 15 lap race and placed first with CRB. Got the 750k and a three star ticket, another 10k, all fine and added to my credit total. At some point going back to the map my internet connection dropped out, first I noticed was the three start ticket was there again, so I claimed it again, but the 750k had disappeared. Gone. 30min racing for zero credits. Nice.

So today's gift from the game that keeps on giving; did the Sardegna 15 lap race and placed first with CRB. Got the 750k and a three star ticket, another 10k, all fine and added to my credit total. At some point going back to the map my internet connection dropped out, first I noticed was the three start ticket was there again, so I claimed it again, but the 750k had disappeared. Gone. 30min racing for zero credits. Nice.

haha same thing happened to me yesterday. My internet went out for a few seconds right near the end of a very long (single player!!) race. Too bad, no reward. You wasted an hour for nothing.

Just another reminder how horrible for the consumer this always-online model is.

Last edited:
TL;DR - people do want to actively earn money in games as long as it's worth the time investment. As of now GT7 isn't.

No sane person wants all the cars in the game within the first three hours of gameplay. Players are willing to play, but right now GT7 outright isn't worth the time investment it requires.
Take the recently killed Tomahawk grind - 15-18 minutes of gameplay for 825k credits. That's 2,4-3,2 million per hour which is okay, that's realm of reasonable in clear sight. Hell, tens if not hundreds of GTP members did this one event for hours on end precisely because it was a good payout given the time investment.

I see many GTP members smugly talking about being entitled and whiny when someone complains about this. Is it too much to ask for my time to be at least somewhat respected by a multi-million company? Am I really entitled for not wanting to play a game for 10 hours to be able to afford a cool classic car?
TL;DR - developers give me no choice when it comes to earning money in a reasonable time. This game's economy is designed around microtransactions and it's not going to be fixed because it's intended for it to be like this - it's inaccessible by design.

For MTX to exist, they have to offer a real boost to your experience, or people won't buy them. This directly means that I am going to be behind Andy who is willing to pay $20 for a few of the best Gr.3 cars. MTX are not "required", of course, but cars matter in this game, as you will surely see by e.g. online leaderboards very often being dominated by one particular car. I am either one real-life purchase or a three hours' session of boring grinding away from being able to afford a total of 6 or 7 cars that I might see doing top times in leaderboards. This aside, there's FOMO. Would be a great shame if the McLaren F1 disappeared from LCD before I have the money for it, so why not speed up the grind? :)

Furthermore, the game's economy is literally built around MTX. They are its central, essential element; there is no other explanation for it being so absurdly broken. No fixing to be done here, there is nothing to fix. It's like this by design.

With GT7, PoDi have stooped to having MTX direct one of the game's core design elements. They have all the means to bring the economy to a level mindful of the players' time and money, but I guess it's more important to instead pursue this lunatic notion of having real-life classic car prices be reflected in a bloody video game for reasons PoDi pretend are relevant to anything else than wink-nudging us to buying MTX. PoDi are forcing them on me and I can't just tell them to go away.

It's inherently wrong, especially at the AAA price point. Microtransations simply don't belong in games that have an entry pricetag, period.

It's 100% reasonable to expect a developer to be better than this, particularly one with 25 years of racing games in their portfolio.

I see many GTP members smugly talking about being entitled and whiny when someone complains about this. Is it too much to ask for my time to be at least somewhat respected by a multi-million company? Am I really entitled for not wanting to play a game for 10 hours to be able to afford a cool classic car?
Last sentence: seems like entitlement. Because with a change of perspective, it isnt anymore ->
Dont want it immediatly when it shows up, instead drive any of the other 329 cool cars and bank the money, dont buy the 100 cars you dont need or dont want, save them up for the finishing touch if you desire to ever have all of them in your collection.

Is it too much to ask a player to play for no reward (activity=fun just to be a reward)? Fun has worked out until a few years ago and suddenly no one does anything anymore just because, it all has to be "worth my time". If the game isnt worth your time, this is fine, it is your time after all, but there is no fault in the game for this.

Furthermore, the game's economy is literally built around MTX. They are its central, essential element; there is no other explanation for it being so absurdly broken. No fixing to be done here, there is nothing to fix. It's like this by design.
This entire post is a good explanation that I couldn't be arsed to give, but this is the ultimate point that should be taken away. Decisions like this are never made in a vacuum, and the fact of the matter is that Polyphony knowingly created an in game economy where people either are forced to pay the price for micro-transactions to get what they want (which was the case in the early days of the game, and PD seem to be trying to go back towards) or by mechanically replaying events, over and over...which has the knock on benefit of artificially boosting play time to make it look better for shareholders.

It's not helped by the fact that the actual gameplay, the actual racing, is so lackluster and still so endemic of many of the gameplay decisions that Polyphony have stuck with, through thick and thin, that are major detriments to most people's enjoyment of the game long term. Why would I bother running this treadmill if the entertainment I could be making for myself is so lackluster?

Is it too much to ask a player to play for no reward (activity=fun just to be a reward)? Fun has worked out until a few years ago and suddenly no one does anything anymore just because, it all has to be "worth my time". If the game isnt worth your time, this is fine, it is your time after all, but there is no fault in the game for this.
Ever since day dot games have provided fun because they reward you with something, whether that be something as simple as winning vs your competitor (Pong), completing levels to unlock the next one (Mario, Sonic, Lemmings) or exploring through the game to increase your characters strength/skill (Metroid). In racing games the reward was usually to simply unlock the next race, then later unlocking cars and other content.

People don't want to play games where it feels like to achieve the reward takes far too much of their time or effort. Would Mario have been as successful if you had to complete 1-1 twenty times before unlocking 1-2? Or if 1-1 was so difficult it'd take hours and hours of practice to beat? Even if it was fun? No. Same reason why people aren't interested in repeating the same races over and over to unlock cars.

So yes, the game can absolutely be at fault if someone doesn't think it's worth their time playing it. It's absurd to say otherwise.

Last edited:
Ever since day dot games have provided fun because they reward you with something, whether that be something as simple as winning vs your competitor (Pong), completing levels to unlock the next one (Mario, Sonic, Lemmings) or exploring through the game to increase your characters strength/skill (Metroid). In racing games the reward was usually to simply unlock the next race, then later unlocking cars and other content.
And even in the metaphysical sense, winning a single, one off race (as in a racing sim) can be it's reward, knowing that you managed to beat either the AI, or other humans.

It doesn't matter what game you're playing, you're ultimately playing for a reward. Whether it's physical and spelled out, or if it's metaphysical and simply the satisfaction.

Mate, that's averaging about 2 hours every single day since release. Every single day. 180 hours playing, and you're almost at having access to half the cars available.

If you think 2 hours every day is "only playing a little before bed", you might like to know that a lot of people would disagree with that assessment. If you're putting more than 10 hours a week into a game you're really pretty dedicated.
I can almost guarantee you that all the guys dropping poop emojis and complaining about this, have more hours than me..

It's why they're not dropping any facts, just opinions..
You notice I'm the first one in here to post cold hard numbers, these kids just want to whine.

Last edited:
I can almost guarantee you that all the guys dropping poop emojis and complaining about this, have more hours than me..
Having more or less hours than anyone else doesn;t validate or invalidate an opinion.

It's why they're not dropping any facts, just opinions..
You notice I'm the first one in here to post cold hard numbers,
Not even close to being true, analysis using cold hard numbers have been posted numerous times, by numerous members since the week of release, they were even featured in a new article GTP published.

these kids just want to whine.
And personal digs not only don't strengthen your point, they run counter to the AUP. Play the ball, not the person.

The game has issues. But it's paranoid and hyperbolic to say it's designed to stop anyone from playing.

This type of overreaction has become standard in gaming culture. Everyone is imitating sensationalized news for clickbait. I guess it still works for some. Hopefully it gets old soon.

Back