This game does everything in its power to demotivate me to play it

• Thread starter Alex p.
  • 540 comments
I played for a bit last night to get my daily workout done. I got side swiped by the AI during a race and lost my CRB. Then I opened 3 daily tickets that I accumulated. 10K, 2K, and Semi-Racing exhaust for a safety car. I turn the game off in disgust. It just insults you repeatedly.

What infuriates me the most is the completely unballanced IA, the easy difficult mainly in the high level races (GR.x and such) are basically IMPOSSIBLE, the IA is COMPLETELY insane, with times that's impossible to beat and even reach first place, btw, I HATE THOSE ROLLING START races, you basically have to start racing as a monkey ("i have 3 laps to overtake 12, 19 cars I MUST GET THERE" - that what i think instead of "i'll race to the first position") to grind your way to the first place, at least give us the chance TO QUALIFY!

I've reached the point where i'm just waiting for the P4 to platinum this and sell, this game sucks in a way which i didn't see for several years in a racing game.

Last edited:
Details no one can see still cost performance that could be used on visuals that you see on every frame, like missing shadows or missing tail lights at a certian distance. Interestingly the head lights are still visible at the same distance.
No, because this level of detail doesn't exist in the game. It's only in the garage. Lights disappear because dynamic lighting is SUPER SUPER SUPER costly on the GPU.

Back in GT6 they introduced dynamic tessellation so you don't see the "pop" when the game goes from one level of detail to the next.

There are easy fixes for the entire game...I mean SUPER SUPER SUPER, next to NO CODING fixes that can be implemented right now.

1 - Single player - Get rid of most of the rolling starts and the AI burst of speed at the beginning of races. Just set the level of difficulty like the pepper races.

2 - Instead of requiring a podium, set a "rival" -So, "Beat" one of the GTWS winners. You don't necessarily need to win the race, you need to finish ahead of that one car. (granted, this might take a little code, but not much)

3 - Sport Mode - Randomize the cars in GR races, allow people to qualify in whatever they like, but they drive what the game gives them. It will level the playing field of each race, make it more interesting, and good drivers will still do well.

Lastly, drop the prices of cars, or drastically increase the payouts.

Do you know why there isn't a classic LeMans race? Because no one could afford to play it. That's ridiculous.

Last edited:
But this is an apples and oranges comparison. The difference between PS1/PS2 cars and the PS3 cars was stark.

PS 3 cars are up to par with the PS4/PS5 cars with differences that are slight, and most of it is texture mapping (if that). For instance, the Nissan 92CP has these tiny little scratches that can only be seen when it's rotating in your garage. Yes, it's a gorgeous little detail, but if it weren't there, I would not be bothered by it.

I would literally bet my life that the Audi R8 in the game is the exact same model that was made for Prologue back in 2008. Same goes for the 69 Z/28. I know the Dino has some minor changes to it compared to Gt6, but still, 90% of it is the same. To me, it looks like any car that was in Gt Prologue/GT5/GT6 is 90% (or more) carried over to Gt7.

But that's not the complaint. The complaint is the amount of tedium required.

Take me as an example. I DESPISE the single player. If I have to play any of it, it's a grind. Why? Because I have no illusion that it is anything other than a manufactured experience, and a poorly done one at that. So, what's my other option? Sport Mode.

In my most recent Sport Mode race, I earned about 20,000 credits. The McLaren F1 is 20,000,000 credits (near as makes no difference). 20,000,000/20,000 = 1000. I have to have 1000 Sport Mode races where I earn at least 20000 credits in order to afford that one car. Let that sink in. I have to have 1000 races, and spend NO CREDITS ON ANYTHING ELSE just to get that one car.

In GT Sport, I managed 700 Sport Mode races.

The math says that I will never earn enough for that one car unless I grind single player. This is a game. A game is supposed to be entertaining. Making me grind is not entertaining.

So, it isn't that I want the cars handed to me, but I want them to be attainable. That's a completely reasonable complaint. It is, in fact, what this franchise is based upon.
We're essentially diametrically-opposed in the way we approach the game. The only thing I care about is single-player content, car tuning/collecting, hot-lapping, and the occasional online lobby race if it's well-structured. If we had the ability to tune in Sport I'm sure I'd give it a shot, but not having the ability to tweak small things like brake bias, ride-height, sway-bar stiffness, just doesn't suit me at all. It got really old for me in Sport and I've not really cared to revisit BoP, though I can understand why some would like it, I just think the execution of BoP is very poorly implemented. As I've said previously in the thread it boggles the mind as to why they don't just have two sets of the daily races: one for tuning, one for BoP. But I digress on the topic of Sport mode...

Despite our completely different approaches to the game, we're pretty much in agreement on all of the major flaws of the game, and that is fascinating to me. Usually a studio will clearly favor one play-style over the other, yet it seems no matter how one approaches the content there are massive problems stemming from the economy and a lack of features. I just don't understand how a studio can miss this badly when all they had to do was follow the template of GT1-6 to appease one side, follow the template of Sport to appease the other side, or do the sensible thing and competently blend the two. It's kind of impressive, but in a depressing sort of way.

Last edited:
The prices of those insanely expensive cars are going up, which means it will become even less affordable over time. I've just decided to skip over cars that cost more than 3 million. Even if you own them, as long as you use them in races and put on mileage, you'll eventually end up having to replace the engine and refresh the body at a similarly insane cost. So all that effort, just to park a virtual car? The economy in this game doesn't make any sense. The Mclaren F1 in GT sport was only 1 million credits, now it's $19.4 million. Games are supposed to be fun, but this is getting less fun by the day for me.

There are easy fixes for the entire game...I mean SUPER SUPER SUPER, next to NO CODING fixes that can be implemented right now.

1 - Single player - Get rid of most of the rolling starts and the AI burst of speed at the beginning of races. Just set the level of difficulty like the pepper races.

2 - Instead of requiring a podium, set a "rival" -So, "Beat" one of the GTWS winners. You don't necessarily need to win the race, you need to finish ahead of that one car. (granted, this might take a little code, but not much)

3 - Sport Mode - Randomize the cars in GR races, allow people to qualify in whatever they like, but they drive what the game gives them. It will level the playing field of each race, make it more interesting, and good drivers will still do well.

Lastly, drop the prices of cars, or drastically increase the payouts.

Do you know why there isn't a classic LeMans race? Because no one could afford to play it. That's ridiculous.
3 is just shuffle racing which existed on GT5 as a lobby option. Doesnt really belong in sport mode though

Last edited:
This game is yours to keep forever...
1653975251373.png

How do you feel about all this?
I am very disappointed, angry and frustrated with GT7 and I call PD company the money sucking vampire's.

I enjoyed all Gran Turismo games over the years, but GT7 comes along and destroys the enjoyment to the point I'm saying good by. PD you can stick GT8 game up their rear end, because I am not going to buy the game.

Last edited:
The comments I read about GT7 are almost a carbon copy of RDR2 online, there were/are serious criticisms of the economy in that game too.

But, lets not forget, RDR2 Online was a free addition to the RDR2 singleplayer - which was everything and more than it was advertised to be. Singleplayerwas as good on the day it launched as it is today. Rockstar fully deserved getting my money for the deluxe edition of their game.

That being said, with GT7, unless you are a pretty light player you might want to temper your expectations of a ‘few weeks’ of playing to get through the menus. Enjoy ‘em while they last! :)

Last edited:
Sport Mode - Randomize the cars in GR races, allow people to qualify in whatever they like, but they drive what the game gives them. It will level the playing field of each race, make it more interesting, and good drivers will still do well
A terrible idea that will kill sport mode.

It'd be interesting as a one off on a single race for a week or something, but certainly not as a standard race mode.

I wouldn't mind if they had one "wacky" race each week with some odd/unusual rules or other randomness that would shake things up. Something like Tavern Brawl in Hearthstone (if they haven't changed it too much since I played many moons ago). It'd be a great way to try new ideas and maybe find a few things that should be available on a more regular basis.

That's the sort of thing I think a true live service should be offering.

P.S. Bring back Shuffle Racing.

I still log on every day, ofcourse it frustrates me that they nerfed the income, but i wasn't much of a tomahawk fan in the first place, I still like to grind a bit, sometimes Spa 1 hour, but the past few days Sardegena with Sauber/ 787B.
For example, in the morning before work i race one hour, almost every day, gives me a few milions a week, but most of al i like playing the game,
In the beginning i thought i was gonna buy all the cars in the game, but now seeing the prices i doubt i'm going to have that motivation to grind 300 mil lol.
Some collectables i will buy but a 20m car i'll pass on.

I'm fine with Poly raising the prices on cars, but for the love of god, then give us ,more 20/30min/1 hour races with decent payouts,
then ill be a happy man, even if i can't buy all the cars in the game, just enjoy the once you have and race them

There's such a clear distinction between categories of players in this game. Some are in it for the e-sport, and some for the RPG. Then there are of course car enthusiasts, casual players and so on.

The argument of grinding something that needs to be done and isn't fun, for a reward, and then find that the reward sucks, which leaves one so disappointed that it feels insulting... I'd say those people need to revisit their purpose of playing anything at all, and maybe even how and why they're living their lives. You seem to be caught in a capitalist hamster wheel of agony, chasing rewards/dopamine but hitting a brick wall time upon time of **** or nothingness. Of course it's misery, inflicted upon you by yourself, not PD.

I was like that with RPG a long time ago. After a decade or two, when getting burnt out a couple of times and way too addicted, I decided and promised myself to never play anything if it's not fun the exact moment I'm doing it. Never play for future "rewards". Be mindful of what you're feeling in the moment - it's not work, so stop doing it if it sucks. Since then, my gaming and life in general has improved a lot. Consider it.

Last edited:
As @Imari said, give it a try. It doesn't have to be every race.

Sport Mode, in GTS, was great. It was a wonderful and meaningful update to the GT6 quick race. Now, it's getting a little old. Toss something new into the mix.

"Friendly" races is not the issue. People aren't worried about losing their SR from their own actions, they are afraid of others ramming the crap out of them. Also, everything is like a cup race because everyone takes the most efficient car for the race. A shuffle race, or no collision races would freshen things up.

3 is just shuffle racing which existed on GT5 as a lobby option. Doesnt really belong in sport mode though
Why? Sport Mode is a challenge of your skill versus the skill of others. Being able to perform well with any car if a true test of skill. They removed tuning, they removed brake bias, remove car choice as well.

As I said above, it doesn't have to be in every race, but it sure would make things more interesting. Heck, build it into the rental feature! If I go to Enterprise or Hertz, I get what they give me. GT's rental should be the same.

Last edited:
There's such a clear distinction between categories of players in this game. Some are in it for the e-sport, and some for the RPG. Then there are of course car enthusiasts, casual players and so on.

The argument of grinding something that needs to be done and isn't fun, for a reward, and then find that the reward sucks, which leaves one so disappointed that it feels insulting...
.. seems to be a common thread among all the player demographics you listed.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your points 100%. There is a deep-rooted capitalistic "carrot on the stick" attitude embedded in modern gaming, and GT7 goes in hard on that.

However, I do think a lot of people bring up valid points in just how egregiously GT7 wastes the players time. Just about every facet of the game, from menu design to gameplay loop, has been artificially extended to suck more time out of the player in a vain attempt to boost any metrics Polyphony/Sony want to see pop higher. There's two main metrics that are absolutely critical to live service games, and those two are Retention and Engagement. If we just compare the classic entry GT4 alongside the new shiny GT7, it's immediately apparent the steps they took to try to artificially boost both Retention and Engagement. Heck, even GTS had a reasonable update cadence relative to their size.
Clear examples of this are:
a) Drip-feed minimal content with little notice (keeps players anticipating when and what the next update is, logging in to check for news/updates)
b) World Circuits menu (artificially extends playtime by utilizing sub-optimal menu design)

I get it. Complaining about "muh vidya gaemz" comes off as neckbeard rhetoric, but at the same time I paid for a product with my hard-earned dollars that was advertised as being complete. If you bought a shaving razor or a bicycle that didn't work as advertised, say the blades came loose while shaving or the bike frame had bad welds, you would have a vested interest in getting your money's worth, whether it be a replacement from the company or your money back. When it takes two three (!) months for PD to implement even basic ass features like PHOTO EXPORT I wouldn't call that 'complete' in the slightest. It feels more like an "oh shoot we forgot to copy/paste that!" moment to me.

While the suggestion of enjoying the moment-to-moment gameplay events - like hotlapping or creating liveries or photoscaping - doesn't go unappreciated, there's so much in the way of actually getting there it's hard to leave those things unnoticed.

tl;dr GT7 - The Vampyre of Time and Money

Last edited:
There's things I like a lot about GT7 as with any GT game, and that's like the OP states, buying cars, hotlapping them, or just have fun test drives around various tracks. What has bugged me as far back as GT5 is that the price of some cars gets ridiculously high, and the thing that makes the game fun literally yields 0 rewards.

I think the game really needs more means of playing the way you want to play the game. Better sport mode options for people who are into that, proper wheel to wheel offline racing for people who like that, big customization for those who are into that. And all of those playstyles should come with real rewards.
Daily or weekly mini-challenges could help with that. Just offer a variety of tasks to do that give decent rewards, not the garbage 5,000cr nonsense but solid payouts. And with a bonus when you complete them consecutively, for example. This achieves which they seem to be after, which is daily logins, but with an actual benefit to the player rather than just frustration at another rubbish rotation 'reward'.

And some of that stuff could be more baked into the campaign too. One thing that bugged me was that I liked the idea of an invitation system for special cars like the LaFerrari, until I learnt it was just some RNG-based system with very little control. Why not make them small challenges too, e.g. own 5 Ferrari cars, drive X km in Ferrari cars, stuff like that, then you can get an invite for a car like that.

It also seems so weird to me that they chose to sell these crazy expensive credit-bundles, which I feel like is milking a very small percentage of players of a large amount of money. I'm not a marketeer but I just cannot see how that would yield more for them than make a solid game to begin with and offer low-price nice-to-haves a lot. Basically what you see in loads of other games with MTX, they have proven to be very profitable for many games without ruining people's experiences.

Can’t say that’s how it worked when I’ve hired a car
Sure it is. You ask for a compact, an SUV, etc, and you get what they give you. If you are lucky, they might have exactly what you want, but they might not. You might ask for a Golf, and they give you a Mazda 3 or something like that. Either way, you must choose from their offerings, you don't get to select from the full spectrum of vehicles in a particular class.

And the point is that the feature could be entertaining. It could add to the fun, but like so many features, it diminished the entertainment value. I checked the leaderboard of Dragon's Tail yesterday and it looked like a bug. It was full of Yellow Subarus.

Like everything regarding game design, this feature was not thought through at all. They just through a task at a coder.

Sure it is. You ask for a compact, an SUV, etc, and you get what they give you. If you are lucky, they might have exactly what you want, but they might not. You might ask for a Golf, and they give you a Mazda 3 or something like that. Either way, you must choose from their offerings, you don't get to select from the full spectrum of vehicles in a particular class.

And the point is that the feature could be entertaining. It could add to the fun, but like so many features, it diminished the entertainment value. I checked the leaderboard of Dragon's Tail yesterday and it looked like a bug. It was full of Yellow Subarus.

Like everything regarding game design, this feature was not thought through at all. They just through a task at a coder.
Nine times outta ten that I've rented a car in the last few years it's been a base model Kia Soul, "that's all we got for ya bud." Plus with the freak-out in the used car markets and general mass sell-offs of fleets by rental companies in 2020/2021, I'd say the old ways of renting vehicles are gone in most cities (barring places like LA where car rentals are a major industry). Ya get what ya get.

.. seems to be a common thread among all the player demographics you listed.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your points 100%. There is a deep-rooted capitalistic "carrot on the stick" attitude embedded in modern gaming, and GT7 goes in hard on that.

However, I do think a lot of people bring up valid points in just how egregiously GT7 wastes the players time. Just about every facet of the game, from menu design to gameplay loop, has been artificially extended to suck more time out of the player in a vain attempt to boost any metrics Polyphony/Sony want to see pop higher. There's two main metrics that are absolutely critical to live service games, and those two are Retention and Engagement. If we just compare the classic entry GT4 alongside the new shiny GT7, it's immediately apparent the steps they took to try to artificially boost both Retention and Engagement. Heck, even GTS had a reasonable update cadence relative to their size.
Clear examples of this are:
a) Drip-feed minimal content with little notice (keeps players anticipating when and what the next update is, logging in to check for news/updates)
b) World Circuits menu (artificially extends playtime by utilizing sub-optimal menu design)

I get it. Complaining about "muh vidya gaemz" comes off as neckbeard rhetoric, but at the same time I paid for a product with my hard-earned dollars that was advertised as being complete. If you bought a shaving razor or a bicycle that didn't work as advertised, say the blades came loose while shaving or the bike frame had bad welds, you would have a vested interest in getting your money's worth, whether it be a replacement from the company or your money back. When it takes two three (!) months for PD to implement even basic ass features like PHOTO EXPORT I wouldn't call that 'complete' in the slightest. It feels more like an "oh shoot we forgot to copy/paste that!" moment to me.

While the suggestion of enjoying the moment-to-moment gameplay events - like hotlapping or creating liveries or photoscaping - doesn't go unappreciated, there's so much in the way of actually getting there it's hard to leave those things unnoticed.

tl;dr GT7 - The Vampyre of Time and Money
Thanks for the well-written reply.

Since I'm only in it for the e-sport, I'm fine with the small issues even if I don't like them. There are issues with all games and I find the ones in GT7 to be most tolerable of the simracing titles I know of. It's some kind of contemporary syndrome in most games.

The other aspects of GT7 don't interest me the slightest. I don't bother with single player except getting gold in everything, nor liveries, photos, AI opponents, hotlapping, tuning or anything. Just give me BoP racing, modern graphics/physics/interface, and a lot of players, and I'm happy for life. I don't care if it's GT7 or something else by PD. If AC2 nails this simple aspect better, I'm off. Or maybe GT7 evolves, or GT8 comes...

For anyone liking RPG, there are a lot of games millions times better than what any racing game can ever offer. GT7 has RPG gameplay of 1993, but even worse.

By the way, I got 40 million spare credits. For what? And I have to click around to change oil...

Last edited:
Sorry, but this is a horrible idea. Making people drive cars they don't want to drive would make it much less fun. 90% of the people would just bail out of the race & you'd be left with three people left. I would.

Go into Daily A and make someone be in the Alfa? What fun is that for that person? They'd be getting lapped.

There is definitely an issue, especially in Gr4, with the WRX being OP... but forcing people to drive other cars is not the fix.

Must be an American thing. When I’ve rented a car in Europe and East Asia you choose the exact model and you get it. Of course you choose from what they have but you know what it is. You don’t select a class of vehicle like you seem to suggest is commonplace.

Must be an American thing. When I’ve rented a car in Europe and East Asia you choose the exact model and you get it. Of course you choose from what they have but you know what it is. You don’t select a class of vehicle like you seem to suggest is commonplace.
Not really- Most places you can select from their on-site inventory online & reserve that vehicle.

Not really- Most places you can select from their on-site inventory online & reserve that vehicle.
That’s how I’ve always done it too. If you book ahead you can often get any vehicle the company has as they can move them from branch to branch. The idea that you book a hatchback and it’s lucky dip or something is a bit peculiar to me.

Last edited:
That’s how I’ve always done it too. If you book ahead you can often get any vehicle the company has as they can move them from branch to branch. The idea that you book a hatchback and it’s lucky dip or something is a bit peculiar to me.
Really?

I've never had that :(

Maybe it's a Canadian thing. Whenever I book online, or go into the location, I can order by vehicle type. There are a few choices, and you get what they have on the lot or incoming. I rented a "SUV" recently and got the Ford Escape but I wanted a Jeep :(....

Anyway, let's get off this tangent, my point is that with the current rental feature in Sport Mode, it makes the Sport Mode races more of a cup race than ever before. I'd like to see something shake this up from time to time.

Last edited:
Really?

I've never had that :(

Maybe it's a Canadian thing. Whenever I book online, or go into the location, I can order by vehicle type. There are a few choices, and you get what they have on the lot or incoming. I rented a "SUV" recently and got the Ford Escape but I wanted a Jeep :(....

Anyway, let's get off this tangent, my point is that with the current rental feature in Sport Mode, it makes the Sport Mode races more of a cup race than ever before. I'd like to see something shake this up from time to time.
Maybe a Canada thing 😂

I agree I’d like to see variety. With. Wildly unbalanced BOP I don’t see much enthusiasm for a random allocation as you could get stitched up quite badly.

Back