Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,113 comments
Done 10 laps at Fuji (second session there) with the NSX. Do not seem to have a lot of margin. Tried to load a ghost that is 1 to 1.5s faster (to reach silver) but he drops me on a lot of turns. I think I should watch a lap guide because I don't see how to be faster.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20231226215538.jpg

I also find quite difficult to not wheelspin putting down power when exiting corners.

Done 10 laps at Fuji (second session there) with the NSX. Do not seem to have a lot of margin. Tried to load a ghost that is 1 to 1.5s faster (to reach silver) but he drops me on a lot of turns. I think I should watch a lap guide because I don't see how to be faster.

View attachment 1314515

I also find quite difficult to not wheelspin putting down power when exiting corners.
You can't really just mash the throttle with those GT500 cars....it will just spin the wheels or the car when the boost hits. On top of that, many turns in the 3rd sector has elevation drop at the corner exits right around where the boost hits. You sorta have to keep the throttle at around 80%, then floor it after the track is level.

Hi,

@Evilmuffin - I think that may be my key to a gold time. I am far too keen to get on the throttle. I have been running without head phones this week due to a constant stream of visitors. This is, I hope, where I am going to find that elusive and, quite frankly, soul destroying. Expletives deleted - 0.01 of a second ( as it stands today ) in a lap.

The penny has dropped here - I was wondering about the lack of "commitment" in the last hairpin on the ghosts I have been chasing. Now I know! Thank you soooooo much.

**Note to self - Pay more attention when viewing lap guides.

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

You can't really just mash the throttle with those GT500 cars....it will just spin the wheels or the car when the boost hits. On top of that, many turns in the 3rd sector has elevation drop at the corner exits right around where the boost hits. You sorta have to keep the throttle at around 80%, then floor it after the track is level.
That car feels absolutely glued to the ground when you get it right though. It's a very very fine line but it's got so much grip.

This is why I'm making the switch to triggers. The car does not like the on/off nature of the X button.

Woot! Triggers are working on the Mustang. Accelerating off the corners is much smoother. I'll hit this TT up one more time tomorrow before going back to Fuji.

IMG_2745.jpg

That lap 29, though...I was on a banger of a lap (the only time I've had a 37.3xx in sector 2 other than the lap prior) only to have the WORST sector 3 I think I've ever run. My adrenaline was pumping so much, I overshot the hairpin by a mile and also went wide on the exit to invalidate the next lap. :banghead:
IMG_2744.jpg

Sorry, @Evilmuffin. :guilty:
IMG_2746.jpg

Done 10 laps at Fuji (second session there) with the NSX. Do not seem to have a lot of margin. Tried to load a ghost that is 1 to 1.5s faster (to reach silver) but he drops me on a lot of turns. I think I should watch a lap guide because I don't see how to be faster

I have the same problem with that cars but that's mostly that i use buttons with x for throttle.
The solution ( in my case ) is to put TC at 2 or 3!!! To allow me open it as soon as i can without wheel spin.
I watch carefully a ghost from top times with the guy using mostly the downshifts to brake while instantly was changing to 3rd gear to accelerate and me on AT i use 2nd in lower speed corners .
I use the lexus 430 ( nissan 08 is similar) for this right now and am leaving NSX16 for later.

Learn the braking points first , that will help to create a memory ( kind of ) and then start dealing with turning and acceleration using higher values on TC to avoid the too much and too few .
Your aim is silver ( as is mine ) .
The most " key " turn for me at least is the fast downhill right that you have to be over the kerb with speed that allow you to cross fast without red your lap .

Good luck mate .

Yeah, this one at Fuji is tough. I was steadily losing grip on the gold so had to put some more hours in.

Managed to break through the 1:30:00 barrier and have whittled it down to a 1:28:6xx, though it’s taken a good hundred or so laps.

OPT was sitting at 1:28:200 or so, so hopefully I’ve got some more room for improvement over the week. Absolutely zero clue how a 1:24 is humanly possible, even watching the replays I can’t see where they’re gaining all that time. Some of you guys are good.

Last edited:
I've lightly improved my silver score on Fuji at 1:29.524 🥈 Still over 0.5 sec. from gold.

Sector 1: 0:20.517 - Not optimal but I manage this time almost every lap.
Sector 2: 0:29.057 - Far from optimal, I'm still in trouble with the T6 where I lose too much time.
Sector 3: 0:39.950 - My 1st time below 0:40.xxx. This is my weak point, but I'm not the only one, apparently.

If I gain 0.1 to 0.3 on the 2nd sector and 0.3 to 0.5 on the 3rd, I should be in the yellow zone 🥇
#KeepPushing

@Gorefast - congrats for your (great) score with your Lexus but I haven't said my final word... :mischievous:
Thank you. I guess we will race side to side into sub-29 dimension. There is still the NSX left (feels like the spare car in older Top Gear epsiodes...). It is less fun than I thought but for me much better than the stang. Attack!

Tried Fuji for about 5 laps or so yesterday. I need to work on my throttle control. Hard. Even exiting in third I got into a slide a lot.

Also in many corners I have no idea what I'm doing. Even after watching lap guides. Every now and then it clicks and I find half a second in a single corner. Just goes to show how unintuitive this track is. At least for me.

Morning everybody! And Merry Christmas to all, really great to hear a lot of people adding upgrades to their setup! GT7 community is thriving! I love it, I have also had a little visit from Santa this year with some Sony branded upgrades..

IMG_4562.jpeg

Yup, PSVR2 has arrived! Clearly I somehow deceived Santa into putting me on his nice list 😬. I have only really played with controller with it before so wheel will be verrryyy interesting. So far so good, I’ve done a couple of races and there are amazing new facets to the game/experience but also a few drawbacks.. stay tuned for more updates! But I’m now part of the club and besides some sort of motion rig I can’t see how I can add any more immersion to the setup now 😅 aka NO EXCUSES FOR NOT BEING FAST!!

Also, I watched the Gran Turismo movie for the first time last night… good watch and good advert for the game although a little cheesy in places; I am now very much antagonising all family members in the vicinity by whispering “find your line…!” Every time someone walks past me…

Happy racing everyone! I have a family day today but hoping to find more time for the Mustang meets DF (or should that be DNF) before time is up.

Managed to gold both Time trials so that was good. Had a few weeks in silver when I came back but since 5 rounds I managed to get gold everywhere. I didnt thought I would manage on Fuji (I'm not the most comfortable with gr.2 and faster cars) but after watching a video here, I carried a bit more speed in some corners and I was safely in gold so super happy about it. Still on pad, received my pedals but I need to do some mods on my seat to fit them so I wont be on wheel until beginning of january at least.

All in all a good end of the year in gt7. Didnt got the ticket for the 25th (if we were supposed to get one) but dont really care.

My Fuji morning is short... I had many laps around 1:29.6xx / 1:29.9xx, without any improvement on my current PB :banghead:

Sector 1: between 0:20.448 to 0:20.653. Mostly around 0:20.5xx. I'm ok with that one.

Sector 2: between 0:28.674 to 0:28.737. I'm consistent and faster on T6 now, which is satisfying (for now) and good for confident.

Sector 3: between 0:39.897 to 0:40.675. I still haven't found the right line, especially on turns 14 to 16... :( Sometimes, I clearly don't know where to put that damned car.... Since I've been only once under 0:40 today and that sector have the most important differences, I'm clearly not yet consistent here.

Keep pushing!

1703677573447.png

So I was at silver at Fuji with the NSX with 1:29:600. I felt it was impossible to reach the gold what but guess what, yesterday I did two warm up laps and took the chance and delivered a monster lap (at least for me) of 1:28:823!! It was so unexpected for me. Currently in gold and hopefully it will hold. 0.2 is a small margin though. I hope I do not need to grind again, but I can definitely reach the 1:28:5xx

When all the big dogs did their Time Trial lap guides for YouTube on day 1 the WR time was 1:26.8 and I heard estimates of it maybe coming down to .5. The current WR is .4. Therefore I am pretty confident that you are quite safe with your margin. But of course just doing another faster lap is always a good idea.

Last edited:
Rest assured @Gorefast nothing important happened today... 😋

1703690118020.png

Sector 1: 20:894 :banghead: (the one where I'm usually at 20:5xx...)

Sector 2: 28:656 (as usual, I would say)

Sector 3: 39:621 (yes, it's MUCH better and now, I must replicate it).

With a "normal" 1st sector, I would have the yellow reward, for sure.
The optimal is very encouraging: 1:28.675 :dopey:

ATTACK!!!

Morning everybody! And Merry Christmas to all, really great to hear a lot of people adding upgrades to their setup! GT7 community is thriving! I love it, I have also had a little visit from Santa this year with some Sony branded upgrades..

View attachment 1314578

Yup, PSVR2 has arrived! Clearly I somehow deceived Santa into putting me on his nice list 😬. I have only really played with controller with it before so wheel will be verrryyy interesting. So far so good, I’ve done a couple of races and there are amazing new facets to the game/experience but also a few drawbacks.. stay tuned for more updates! But I’m now part of the club and besides some sort of motion rig I can’t see how I can add any more immersion to the setup now 😅 aka NO EXCUSES FOR NOT BEING FAST!!

Also, I watched the Gran Turismo movie for the first time last night… good watch and good advert for the game although a little cheesy in places; I am now very much antagonising all family members in the vicinity by whispering “find your line…!” Every time someone walks past me…

Happy racing everyone! I have a family day today but hoping to find more time for the Mustang meets DF (or should that be DNF) before time is up.
Once you get used to it, it’s top notch. My gameplay and times have improved vastly since starting to play on wheel and vr2. I don’t even think I can go back to flat

I’ve given up on deep forest. Cranked out a 1:47.875 and don’t see it getting any better. Slow cars just don’t do it for me. 15 laps in on Fuji ran 1:30.082. Could def improve on this one.

View attachment 1314620

ATTACK!!!
Bravo mate , i don't think i can reach that .
Did some laps today and what i get is only some consistent laps at 29 high.
Don't know if something change later but those fast TT's are killing me anyway .
Did you have a ghost on this one ?

View attachment 1314620

ATTACK!!!
You've got this. Grind it out!

Back