UKGTP8 - The Ocho

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,037 comments
Sorry guys.
Due to complications beyond my control i won't be able to attend. Gonna be gutted bout not being there; seeing familiar faces and new one and discovering just who this Venari fella is. Will look forward to the pics.

Sorry guys. Due to complications beyond my control i won't be able to attend.
Darn, there go my well laid out plans :grumpy:.
Well there's no reason to keep the AMG now anymore, I'm gonna trade it...(perhaps)

AMG.

Okay folks... 'The Cromwell Lodge' it is.

I am going back for one more visit to confirm, take some photos, ensure the marquee floor is good, ask about security and negotiate a bulk room discount. I will try to block reserve the three twin bed rooms, which will get beds for six people who don't mind who they sleep wit... near. :)

I will have news for certain on Monday.
I was too bushed to do it today, this was first day off in two weeks.

These twin rooms are £95/night (for two people sharing) without discount. The bonus is that you don't have to go anywhere except up/downstairs to get to the racing, so you might get away with an early start on Saturday, drive down, get stuck in/booked in straight away and turf out the luggage at lunch. Anyone who wants me to reserve a double room, speak now.

Of course, arrivals on Friday are welcome. This will be an attempt by Ochoists who have secret intelligence on the affect of 'The Hangover' on 'The Venari'. I shall resist! (Probably.)

My home has my king bed, a room with two single beds, and a very comfy leather corner sofa which could sleep two (friendly) people. I will happily give up my King Komfi Mattress for a visiting couple. I think I promised Bookerman one of the singles, so I'll probably take the other if a couple wants my bed. (Ooer.)

One of my friends may have an empty house for that weekend, I will ask if he minds letting us use this too for accomodation.

Right, what have I missed?

I will try to block reserve the three twin bed rooms, which will get beds for six people who don't mind who they sleep wit... near. :)
I don't know if I'm as witty when I'm asleep...

Anyone who wants me to reserve a double room, speak now.
I'll take one of them thar rooms from fri through to sun.

Okay daan... well, if you're on your own, there are five single rooms at £70/night.

So, I will reserve you a room for Fri and Saturday nights (check out will be about 4pm Sun, I suppose), at a cost of £140.00 before discount.

If you have to have a double because the singles are gone, it will be £79.50/night=£159.00 for single occupancy (unless you can find a friend to share with - double or twin ;) - where it will cost you £190.00 between you) all before discount.

Just so we're all clear. Daan, you've involuntarily volunteered to be the 'it costs how much?' FAQ. :D

(woohoo, post 250!)

I'm willing to share a double room with someone, not neccesarily a double bed...

Are you stereotyping me as a mean Scotsman? Look at me, I'm being oppresed! :dopey:

I'm not calling you mean or a Scotsman. Unless it might be funny.

So, who wants to share with daan? (Runs&hides.)

Good work 👍

Lan and sleeping at the same location is perfect.

England, here we come. :cheers:

Ahhh... yeah, I wanted to take some detail pics of the inside of the marquee. But yeah, the tour is a good spot. :)

Just booked my ferry-passage and will be travelling up to Banbury of Friday afternoon. Now just need to work out sleeping arrangements.

AMG.

I wish you a save passing over those waters filled with dangerous creatures.
Especially the Ochopus is a mighty opponent.
(oh wait, i have to travel across those waters too :scared: :nervous: )

I will have to pull out of the Ocho for this year. :indiff:
More pressing family matters to attend to .

nige

I'm willing to share a double room with someone, not neccesarily a double bed...

Are you stereotyping me as a mean Scotsman? Look at me, I'm being oppresed! :dopey:

If it hasnt been taken already ill share that room. ill also be coming up on the friday and leaving late sunday.

Spec....

An accommodation reference list for those booking away from the Cromwell.

Feel free to ask for help. I will book anyone a room at the Cromwell. If you're staying further afield and need a little help just PM me.

For reference, Prospect House, 70 Oxford Road, is about 1km away from the Cromwell. Numbers higher than 70 are further away. You'll be unlucky to find a B&B more than 1km away.

Discounted Cromwell Room Charges!

Single room ......................... £55/night (was £70)
Double room (but single occupant) ... £65/night (was £79.50)
Double room (for two) ............... £80/night (was £95)
Twin room (for two) ................. £80/night (was £95)

I have reserved all the twin rooms, and one is still free (just...)
I reserved four doubles, three remain, and four out of the five available singles - of which I have three left.
There are more rooms available, so I can book more.

Venari.

Lists:
http://www.locallife.co.uk/banbury/guesthouses3.asp
This is a good collection of B&Bs.

http://www.banbury-web.co.uk/bb.htm
As is this.

http://www.banburytown.co.uk/banbury/home_accommodation.html
http://www.banburytown.co.uk/banbur...ses_b_b_band_c_up_to_60_guest_houses_b_b.html
A broader sweep of locations.

http://www.stayukay.co.uk/banburyotels.html
Hotels...

http://www.where-to-stay.co.uk/whynot/banbury-00-0.html
... and more hotels.

Specific Locations:
1. http://www.banburycrossbandb.co.uk/
Distance to Cromwell: ~800m

2. http://www.easingtonhouse.co.uk/house.htm
Distance to Cromwell: ~900m

3. Avonlea Guest House, 41 Southam Road, 01295 267837 whitforddebbie@hotmail.com
Distance to Cromwell: ~500m

4. http://www.thelismorehotel.co.uk/

5a.
th_ASign.jpg

Ashley Guest House, 01295 250539
5b.
th_FSign.jpg

FairLawns Guest House, 01295 262461

th_PHSign.jpg

Prospect House Guest House, 01295 268749
Distance to Cromwell: ~1000m

7. Treetops Guest House, 23 Dashwood Road.
~900m

8. Ark Guest House, 120 Warwick Road (corner of Warwick and Neithrop.)
~900m

Map on Banbury centre with locations above added. (Click to enlarge.)

Slightly transposed to the east to include the M40 junction 11, and a photo overlaid to illustrate where we will be for the event. (Click to enlarge.)
The loop of roads in front of the Cromwell includes parking.

Sorry for the double post, but this is the marquee detail.

It takes exactly one minute and forty seconds to walk to the Cromwell from my home, which surprised the heck out of me.

The marquee is 6m by 18m! I am told it has heating and can get warm anyway - ventilation might be the issue. There are plenty of sturdy tables and 30-off of the chairs you see in the photos.

Power is supplied by large extensions, one to the front, and then extending further to near the fountain. I think we need a tally of exactly what power cables are available and make sure they are in good condition.

The floor is constructed and looks plenty flat and sturdy enough, although it does angle off to one side, as pointed out by the staff. We're not playing marbles, so I thought that would be okay. :)

There is a projector screen available, which is nice. Lighting is a bit more in keeping with a wedding dinner, but lots of bulbs and an angled white ceiling mean plenty of spread.

Further EDIT:
Room is now confirmed, at £250, for all day Saturday (7am til 8pm) and 9 til 5 Sunday.
I have bagged the projector screen for tenner extra, which I'll happily pay.

Our wonderful host Stacey guessed there will be a lot of us, but her boss is a bit concerned she dropped the marquee price so low - it should have been £450!... At this point, she smiled very sweetly and asked if we wanted buffet lunches... which, to be frank, might be a good idea. They charge £13 a head, but the universal law of buffet is that it never all gets eaten, so if we book a buffet for 12, that's about a fiver each and we'll clean the plates.

Hm, these have listed in reverse.
Top row, L to R.
The table. * Looking back at the entry (and exit to le bar du specialite alcoholiques.) * Air con vent thing. * Looking back, with flash.
Bottom row, L to R
Looking back, without flash. * In front, on entry. * To left, on entry. * Fountain and back of marquee.

Click any photo for enlargement. (Of the photo...)

Venari - I've made a minor edit to your post, specifically to the images between the two rows of marquee images. I'll refer you briefly to this thread as an explanation (and I believe the issue surrounded a flyer for a LAN event...)

No problem, Famine. Understood.

Actually, on the Friday, there is a comedy show at the Cromwell. It's in their 'What's on' section, and I inquired today - no bookings for it as yet.

Personally, I think we should just go for a beer and a natter at a pub (Tommy Flynn's, just to keep Bee happy.) ;)

Also, I forgot: Banbury does have a Bowling Alley...

See also accommodation and Marquee posts above for edits in bold.

This one is located opposite the corner of Upper Windsor St & Oxford street. (near the hospital). I booked a single en-suite for gbp 40 per night.
The address is 58 Oxford street OX16 9AN.
th_ASign.jpg

Ashley Guest House, 01295 250539

I also called Fairlawns but forgot to ask their address. A single en-suite goes for 48 GBP per night and (today) they have rooms available.
th_FSign.jpg

FairLawns Guest House, 01295 262461

Thought this might be of help to some.
AMG.

Back