UKGTP8 - The Ocho

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,037 comments
I don't think we'll have a problem, Banbury's not that small, and I don't see the entire World flocking here to enjoy the weather in late October.

If it all goes horribly wrong, I do have a plan B for accomodation, so worry not, lil' lady.

Whew, how much did I miss daan's gag by? I must be losing my touch. :D

I dont need accomodation, me and suzzie can easily make the trip home on the night. (45 minutes on train to high wycombe).

Anyone arriving Friday afternoon/evening ...... for drinks?
I'm driving up on Fri afternoon.

AMG.

Anyone arriving Friday afternoon/evening ...... for drinks?
I'm driving up on Fri afternoon.

AMG.
I think I'll be driving down on the Friday evening. It's a bit too far to drive down on the Saturday morning.

So I wandered around Banbury today, in the lovely sunshine. Actually feels a bit like July out there - shocking, I know.

Let's do the tourist thing:

JT's bar, not far from where I live, and also just outside ...

... the Market Square.

The Town Hall, taken from the Market Square. They had a room, but too small and too expensive.

So now we make our way to the Cross... but not before seeing this little place:

The Old Amy. Er, Wine House. Yum.

Walking down to the centre of Banbury, here's the view from the South Bar up Horsefair.

And another of the Woolpack and Church.

From here, it's time to walk up the South Bar hill, past St. Johns Church...

... and continue to Oxford Road, where the vast majority of Hotels and Guest Houses seem to be. These photos are not recommendations - the venue site is yet to be determined. They are all short walks from all venues discussed except Hanwell Fields and Gaydon; if we're at Hanwell, then it's going to be a taxi job from everywhere except a mythical hotel which a work colleague informed me about (location to be determined) and Gaydon, well, these are as good as any because it's staggering distance from town centre you'll be focussing (or rather unfocussing) on.

First up is the Best Western, but their prices are doolally so I didn't take a pic. Opposite is the Easington Guest House:

A little way up opposite is the Lismore:

And then opposite that, the Ashlea and the Fairlawn Guest Houses:

Closer to Sainsbury's and the Banbury School turnoff is the Prospect House:

and around here I snapped a pic of the tree-lined broadway that is Oxford Road:

... which today coralled this beautiful automobile, a Lancia Aurelia.

Just in case you think you need help, you may want to stay in the Best Western:

... or if Smallhorses does turn up and needs another sort of help:

... and if anyone else can't hack the pace:

Hope you enjoyed the tour. :)

I'm hoping to head down on the friday, so drinks sound great!
I feel like enjoying the freedom of not being responsible for any part of the lan and not having any children, so i'm gonna let my hair down and book a lavish room!!! Just need to make sure the pub is crawling distance!!!

On a serious note, you may have to remove my equipment from the list as i'm gonna part x it for a ps3 sometime around then. Plus as i'm so untravelled, i may go sight seeing for half the day, so just don't do the k class race then!!!!

I dont need accomodation, me and suzzie can easily make the trip home on the night. (45 minutes on train to high wycombe).

Same here, me and Loli live just up the road from Banbury. :)

Hello all. Been a bit detached from the community of late, but I think i'm going to get my arse in gear and come along to this one; it's sounding good!

I work in High Wycombe, so should be coming down on the friday for drinks etc. and will stay for the whole shebang.

I can definitely bring 2 controllers, GT4 game disc and headphones at the mo. I could potentially bring a tv, but it's a bit old and unwieldy i'm afraid (20 year old 20" sony - but with scart!). My console isn't networkable i'm afraid so that's a no go.

Looking forward to it! Place your requests now to get me as your team-race-enduro-thing partner - i totally carried vexd last time. (ahem)

Hello all. Been a bit detached from the community of late, but I think i'm going to get my arse in gear and come along to this one; it's sounding good!

I work in High Wycombe, so should be coming down on the friday for drinks etc. and will stay for the whole shebang.

I can definitely bring 2 controllers, GT4 game disc and headphones at the mo. I could potentially bring a tv, but it's a bit old and unwieldy i'm afraid (20 year old 20" sony - but with scart!). My console isn't networkable i'm afraid so that's a no go.

Looking forward to it! Place your requests now to get me as your team-race-enduro-thing partner - i totally carried vexd last time. (ahem)

Howdy stranger, i was actually going to text you about this to see if you got everything sorted out and could attend this lan.

Ben

Howdy stranger, i was actually going to text you about this to see if you got everything sorted out and could attend this lan.

Ben

Well i've graduated now and start work soon, so everything is very settled! Will be good to see everyone again. I'll have to try and get some more practice in before we go though!

Heard some mentionings about accommodation in Venari's tour post (👍 thanks for that). Has anyone who's going to be staying come to a decision about that sort of thing? I live only just over an hour away but it's always more fun to stay.. (thoughts of GTP6 spring to mind Spec & Cracker!)

Has anyone who's going to be staying come to a decision about that sort of thing?

Sleeping location & booking will depend on venue site. The sooner Venari gets a definitive answer to his queries the sooner we can start looking for places to sleep :)

AMG.

Just wondering, the slimline PS2 come with the network adaptor built in, but doesi t need to be activated in some way or another?

Bee
Just wondering, the slimline PS2 come with the network adaptor built in, but doesi t need to be activated in some way or another?
That's done when all PS2s are connected at the LAN party. No worries there.

AMG.

So yeah, to anwser my question, do i have to buy a networker thingy?

Yes. However, since Sony stopped manufacturing the PS2 in favour of the PSTwo, you can't buy them new.

eBay FTW.

@ Donbenni - glad to see you back in the fold! As spec said, you were missed!

it really does feel that the only person missing is Kev, assuming that Mark definately comes! I'm so chuffed to see Mrs Lotus and hubby coming too. Are you dragging Wes too? I'm thinking they'll be as many females at this lan as there were actual attendees at the first lan i ever attended.

Gonna miss you too Sarebear, but you know how much already xx

Okay ladies and gentlemen (and the rest of you) I am coming to a close with the venue selection.

Unfortunately, Banbury School have been very reluctant to get back to me, so they get one more chance on Monday, and then they're out of it. I've seen the site from the outside, it's feasible they have plenty of areas available for us.

I have provisional bookings on both Gaydon and Hanwell Fields, and the Cromwell is AOK too.

Let's deal with Hanwell first. Unfortunately, they cannot guarantee the large room. The large room is not only what we want, but it has an attached lounge which makes things very straightforward. The room and the lounge will be being used for at least part of the weekend, ergo, I believe Hanwell to be too much hassle to sort out. I will try once more on Monday to snag the big room, but if not, they're out.

Which (because of the strange and arguably unprecedented popularity of 'The Ocho') leaves Gaydon and The Cromwell.

The Cromwell is smack in the middle of town, we can run pretty much as long as we want, and there is a licenced bar through a doorway. This is also a public bar, so you'll have curious locals, even if they aren't storming the room. It also means we will have to be fairly quiet, and conversely, others may be being noisy right outside. I think we'll get away with snack food and sandwiches; it is a marquee, after all. It's huge, we could set up four LANs if we wanted, so number of people is not a problem. Also, I can get a bit of a discount on accomodation, even though it's not the cheapest place. All the guest houses are less than 20 minutes walk away, and there is plenty of parking around for those that nip in by car. It also has a fountain in the middle of the marquee for comedy value.

Gaydon is a twenty minute drive from town, and we have to shut up shop for 5.30pm both days. The facility is by far the sexiest and plushest of them all, and the price gets us a room which is just about big enough for three LANs. It will be cosy, but they've got aircon. We can go wi-fi and broadcast to the universe, but we'll have to be careful with snacks; lunch probably best had at the site cafe. Water freely available, and since engineers use the place all the time, there is probably coffee nearby somewhere. They have the added advantage of (probably) being able to downsize or upsize our room a couple of weeks beforehand should the Dutch guys bail out 'coz they're scared of the competition (j/k :D ), or the National Gran Turismo OLR Team of Uzbekistan decide to join the fray. We also get free entry to the museum, I think it's 48 tickets, so friends and family can come too, visit the museum one one or other of the days, and generally poke their nose in and watch us drive. http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/

Both cost exactly the same, £250 for the weekend. Hanwell worked out at about £210, as I recall. Banbury School, if they ever get back to me, would be also roughly £250.

Comments?

How secure is the marquee for leaving our PS2s, TVs, G25s etc in overnight?

Which (because of the strange and arguably unprecedented popularity of 'The Ocho') leaves Gaydon and The Cromwell.

The Cromwell is smack in the middle of town, we can run pretty much as long as we want, and there is a licenced bar through a doorway.
I dont think we were noisy at all at the last one. Mostly youre racing with headphones on. Very conveniently located too wrt pubs & lodgings.

Gaydon is a twenty minute drive from town, and we have to shut up shop for 5.30pm both days. The facility is by far the sexiest and plushest of them all, and the price gets us a room which is just about big enough for three LANs. It will be cosy, but they've got aircon. We can go wi-fi and broadcast to the universe, but we'll have to be careful with snacks; lunch probably best had at the site cafe.

Location too far away and smallish by the sounds of it, Close shop quite early and difficulties with food/drinks. I dont really need plush to have a good time. If it were a 3 day trip the museum would make for a nice break. Given the fact that we only have <2 days I'd say scrap it and perhaps do it on UKGTP10 (assuming 9 is up northwards).

Thanks for all the troubles youve gone thru so far, that's very much appreciated 👍

For me it's Cromwell, (assuming banbury school doesnt work out).

AMG.

Latest Posts

Back