Version 1.02 Out

• Thread starter EL_ZISSOU
  • 175 comments
I'm playing GT5 since 24 of November and until I couldn't reach the PD Server... even with the new up-date... bad... very bad...

I honestly think that's a very minor issue. It might get fixed, but there are bigger issues at hand - jagged shadows, the birthday glitch - that need to be corrected before Polyphony set about remedying an incorrect description.
Well I feel what you describe is minor. Far more important things need updating and I shall list them below.

1. Back up game saves.

2. Online leaderboards because these should of been available from day 1.

3. Ability to send game invites to friends.

Well I feel what you describe is minor. Far more important things need updating and I shall list them below.
My point was not what is important to be updated, but rather that an incorrect description for a car would be at the very bottom of Polyphony's list of flaws to be corrected (and to be honest, online leaderboards are a purely cosmetic thing themselves). I'd be very concerned if it were the first thing they sought to remedy. According to this, the update will do two major things: first, it will double the server's capacity, enabling up to one million people to connect; and secondly, it will allow for power and weight restrictions to be applied to online races.

So there is an update ay? I haven't updated yet but I'm connected to the internet. So if I were to try and join an online lobby would it prompt me to update?

1. Back up game saves.

Including:

4: Officially sanctioned races (like GT5P)

5: Ability to sell cars to other players

6: Point-to-point stages in course maker (GT Rally already randomly creates point-to-point stages)

My point was not what is important to be updated, but rather that an incorrect description for a car would be at the very bottom of Polyphony's list of flaws to be corrected (and to be honest, online leaderboards are a purely cosmetic thing themselves). I'd be very concerned if it were the first thing they sought to remedy. According to this, the update will do two major things: first, it will double the server's capacity, enabling up to one million people to connect; and secondly, it will allow for power and weight restrictions to be applied to online races.
I disagree again.

If you have played the Forza games you will realise just how popular hotlapping has become with numerous online racing teams. I would go as far to say that hotlapping has become as popular as online racing and single player. Infact some people don't bother with racing and just hotlap.

My point is leaderboards should of been available right from the start. Blimey even NFS Hot Pursuit has leaderboards and so do many other arcade racing games.

I do agree about the server capacity but again this should of been sorted before release. Surely based on previous GT sales they should of realised the huge number of people who will be signed into PSN whilst playing GT5.

Just add that I might love GT5 but coming from playing FM3 to GT5 is like being in a time machine and going back 5yrs. The PS3 and GT5 are definitively the highlight of all the years i've been playing video games but my word the PS3 and GT5 are miles behind FM3 and Xbox live when it comes to online gaming. Lets hope updates rectify this. I had to leave a message on my message board explaining to my friends how to join a private room!

What would you say is better: online leaderboards with no race restrictions, or race restrictions with no online leaderboards? I'm inclined to say the latter - if anyone can enter any race with any car in their possession, it's going to get really boring really quickly when you're pitting your X1 Prototype against my Suzuki Swift. Unless we're rallying. The point is that Polyphony need to prioritise what they do when they update the game. Bugs and glitches should be the first to be corrected, especially if they can be game-breaking. Then server capacity should be upgraded to allow for more races and more payers to be online at any one time. And then maybe the addition of new features like online leaderboards. Who cares what Forza does? The moment GT starts doing things because Forza does it, GT loses its edge over Forza. Polyphony will have stopped being innovators and will start being followers.

Has it crashed while "Accessing game data. Please do no switch off the system while HDD access indicator is flashing" before getting to the menu, or is it just using insanely long time? The Orange HDD light on my PS3 doesn't flash..

Including:

4: Officially sanctioned races (like GT5P)

5: Ability to sell cars to other players

6: Point-to-point stages in course maker (GT Rally already randomly creates point-to-point stages)

Oops forgot one:

7: Stop non-hosts from switching a lobby to race, or, have an option just to have free-runs (as opposed to free-run and race).

Man, if this keeps this way up, when I'll get to finally install the game (which is likely to happen late in december) there'll be more data to install from the internet than from the disc... it'll take FOREVER! :nervous:

What would you say is better: online leaderboards with no race restrictions, or race restrictions with no online leaderboards? I'm inclined to say the latter - if anyone can enter any race with any car in their possession, it's going to get really boring really quickly when you're pitting your X1 Prototype against my Suzuki Swift. Unless we're rallying. The point is that Polyphony need to prioritise what they do when they update the game. Bugs and glitches should be the first to be corrected, especially if they can be game-breaking. Then server capacity should be upgraded to allow for more races and more payers to be online at any one time. And then maybe the addition of new features like online leaderboards. Who cares what Forza does? The moment GT starts doing things because Forza does it, GT loses its edge over Forza. Polyphony will have stopped being innovators and will start being followers.

Is it really that hard to put online leaderboards? If I remember correctly prologue had it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Its true that race restrictions are a must, but also are the online leaderboards. PD is not new to racing game development and they hadn't thought about those basic things? And PD should care about what Forza does, cause Turn 10 is their main "opponent".
Thats a racing game, nobody needs to reinvent the wheel, its really basic
1. car rooster (without 50 skylines)
2. track list
3. Physics (its great but i'm concerned about that 0 ABS car spin, and massive understeer on cars that should have it)
4. single-player (its great but I've heard there are not many events. Can't confirm that yet)
5. Multiplayer - PD said its the cherry on top of the cake, but right now its not more complex than NFS:shift.

I'm no game designer, and probably I'm just being a smart-ass but those are just 5 goals they need to achieve to make a great racing game. 1 point per year in the production. A lot of time.

1. Back up game saves.

Am signing this, really hope we will see this feature in not too long.

There's a different between caring about what the opposition does and blindly apeing what they do because they're doing it.

Well I think we just have to live with the fact that in some aspects Forza is now the leader, and GT should just copy some things from Forza. Not even copying, its just doing what everyone else is doing, not only Turn 10. Online leaderboards are now a standard, may it be racing games, shooters or even platformers. I think that japaneese game market is having a serious crisis. New Final Fantasy, Front Mission, Tekken 6, Silent Hill and now GT.

Are they going to fix the Cockpit view? Youre sitting way to close to the steering wheel. And the only thing you can do is to move even closer? I loved the GT5P cockpit view why change it?

The correct thing to do is to look at your opposition and learn from what they do right..

That's what turn10 did with poliphony. Oh well, what they tried to do at least. You can easily call Forza "the-attempt-to-make-granturismo-for-xbox-as-well". Version 3, of course.

EDIT: as it could be more clear, Gran Turismo : Forza = Macintosh : Windows.

That said by a guy who's typing from a Mac. Forza could sell more and be more famous, but it'll always be a cheap lame copy

Last edited:
That's what turn10 did with poliphony. Oh well, what they tried to do at least. You can easily call Forza "the-attempt-to-make-granturismo-for-xbox-as-well". Version 3, of course.

EDIT: as it could be more clear, Gran Turismo : Forza = Macintosh : Windows.

That said by a guy who's typing from a Mac. Forza could sell more and be more famous, but it'll always be a cheap lame copy

I love this comparison!!!

I can't believe they're so thick to update the game with only a notice stating its been updated. Yeah, I know lads. I've just downloaded a 133mb patch.

So now you can select weight and BHP as requirements for online modes.

Anyone found anything else that's changed?

Is it going to be 133MB every time they change a few kilobytes of code or what?

Me, I just think that they're packing more stuff along with the "code change". Little by little, 133mb at a time, I bet we'll soon be facing with a new track or with a couple of new cars.

I can't believe they're so thick to update the game with only a notice stating its been updated. Yeah, I know lads. I've just downloaded a 133mb patch.

So now you can select weight and BHP as requirements for online modes.

Anyone found anything else that's changed?

Online server capacity now doubled to hold 1 million simultaneous connections.

Is it going to be 133MB every time they change a few kilobytes of code or what?
The "133" number just seems to be the core package that just change with their updates so I think we can expect every single "bug fixes only" patch to be 133mb and only the DLC to be smaller or bigger depending on what it is/might be.

Back