Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,677 comments
This could be interesting if not impossible:

IMG_1975.png

But we will give it a shot.

Seeing people saying the JGTC race was fun or easy or challenging I need to ask, what settings do you or I have on? I've just run it in the Castrol Supra and was catching the McLaren at about a second a lap until I got within 4 seconds with 4 laps to go. Then this happened:

View attachment 1363065

Miles ahead of the rest of the field, suddenly behind a car that finds an extra 200 BHP just to stop you getting near it. What's the point?
I noticed something similar. My first attempt with my JGTC Viper I was in 8th or so after the second lap and the leaders only pulled a max of ten seconds ahead. I tried a second time with my Diablo which is a bit faster and I couldn't touch the leaders. They were gone. AI performance might be tied to your car's performance in some way. My lap times for the second go-around were 2.5 seconds faster.
The AI cheats, which is lame. It's not just this race but many; even custom races (which I use to practice for WS races). I've seen the same thing, even from the other side. Leading a race, put 10 seconds on P2 by lap 5, then all of a sudden the AI put in a purple lap that's three seconds faster than mine. Going through the turns I gain time, but once we hit the straights I lose a full second. Like, they're not even trying to hide it.

Annoying indeed.

Okay, ran the Special event first on the Alpine VGT. Couldn’t even do a lap in it. Sports medium tires and no aero made for no traction in any of the high speed turns. Awful choice. Tried rerunning the calculator to give me a better car and I got another VGT. Didn’t even bother trying it.

Went to my garage, sorted by GT500 cars and picked the most recent NSX we got in the last update. Took that one out bone stock. Good race. Lots of rubber banding by the AI in this race. I had the yellow McLaren on my butt for a couple laps and he was much faster on the straight than me but he backed off half way down the straight at the end of lap 9 when I was in 3rd place. He could have easily drafted me and passed me before turn 1 but he didn’t. Anyway, I did end up winning but only got the lead on the last lap in to the chicane at the bottom of the hill. Overall a fun race, though.

Unlike a lot of people, I actually like Fuji. Lots of places to pass, high speed turns, elevation changes, etc. I think it’s a fun track.

Edit:
Okay ran race 1 at Laguna in a stock Superbird. Got 2nd place. First is about 8 seconds ahead. I’m okay with this and don’t feel a need to try to win.

Race 2 at Daytona was kind of silly. None of my trucks can be made back in to factory settings so I used my 1200hp truck and lapped the field.

Race 3 at St Croix in the 959 was pretty easy. Unfortunately I have permanent mods done to it, so I was a bit over the stock pp rating. Easy 1st place.

Race 4 at Nurburgring GP in the Lancer Gr.B road car was a 3rd place finish. This one I still have fully stock. It drove okay. Nothing too special about it. That track is fun with the exception of that opening sequence. I really wish they would use the Big Nurb GP layout to cut out some of those early turns, but keep the final chicane and the right hander around the pits to get back on the main straight. That would make this short layout much more enjoyable.

Anyway, it was a decent set of races. The special event was the best out of them. Maybe I’ll try that one again in the other GT500 cars to see how they all fair.

Last edited:
This was fun set, especially the Special Event
  • American FR 550 - Mustang Gr 3 Road Car 🔰
  • Pickup Race - Tundra 🔰
  • Turbo Sports - MP4-12C 🔰
  • WTC600 - Mini VGT
  • JGTC - Jaguar XJ220 w/ XJR-9 swap
Reward:
  • 10k from 3-Star Daily

Redemption done at Nurburgring with the Gr. B Lancer. Easy win on RH.
Nürburgring GP_ (4) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Had some fun at Fuji with one of my Silhouettes. At first I thought this didn't look good. Got to P5 by the start of lap 5 but the top 4 were quite a ways up. Worked HARD ticking down a second/lap. Finally got into their draft by lap 8. Had a good battle with Gallo and Drumont and took the lead by 9. Did some defending all the way and took it by 4/10s. Great racing !
Fuji International Speedway_ (7) by 2cam16, on Flickr

I had 4 tries so far...
With a 707PP Supra RZ '97 i finished 3rd, with a 723PP Jaguar XJ220 I finished 2nd only 3 seconds behind the winning car, with a 700PP Diavolo 3rd again(about 10 seconds short of the leader) and with the same car with 728PP I had an easy win...
That was all on medium difficulty, but I switched to hard difficulty today and will see how that goes...

Two observations:
1) The top five AI cars start to run really fast laps between lap 3 and lap 7...in the first 2 laps the field stays pretty close together, and starting with lap 8 I always manage to close the gap to the leading cars...

2)In the three races i didn,t win there were 3 different AI cars winning: once a Supra, once a Mc Laren and once a NSX...
I also play on Normal, I plan to try this race in other different combos all around the 700pp mark so I will definitely let you know how it goes!

The JGTC race definitely has some odd rubber banding. I experienced the opposite impact. One of my attempts (Normal difficulty), I overdid it on the last turn of Lap 9 and ran off into the inside grass. I ended up like 5 seconds behind the leading Supra. But he started driving like a rookie B-Spec Bob! I caught and passed him again well before the checkered flag. Weird.

All that said...the race is still awesome. I've done It 3 times and Fuji is normally one of the last tracks in GT history I would ever choose to repeat.

The JGTC event is a pretty big disappointment for me.

No tire wear
No fuel usage
No interesting TOD change
No weather shenanigans

Intriguing idea - blandest posible execution.

I personally think that Fuji's last sector is a crime against humanity - so that also doesn't help.

@PD, just dip into my pool of custom races. You'll find a few good ones ;)
I think the lack of tyre wear and fuel usage is dictated by the mix of road and race cars in grid. Road cars simply do not have similar fueal efficiency as race cars and that would be very unbalanced race. Sprint format is good too then.

But they could left tyre usage alone ;) this wouldn’t be unfair ;)

I think the lack of tyre wear and fuel usage is dictated by the mix of road and race cars in grid. Road cars simply do not have similar fueal efficiency as race cars and that would be very unbalanced race. Sprint format is good too then.

But they could left tyre usage alone ;) this wouldn’t be unfair ;)
Good point! Didn’t think of that.

I also play on Normal, I plan to try this race in other different combos all around the 700pp mark so I will definitely let you know how it goes!
I did one race so far on hard difficulty with the 720PP Diablo and it was brilliant...finished only 5th, but the top five cars came in within 5 seconds...very close race, lots of wheel to wheel maneuvers, and relatively clever AI for GT7 standards...(that there is no rain helps the AI, because there is no tire-changing stupidity...)
I will definietly do more races on hard with that Diablo and also the Jag XJ220...

Last edited:
I've run the Fuji race twice now in the past hour with the full stock GT-R GT500 '99 at 707 PP and came in fifth both times. I'm running super consistent 1.41, 1.40 laps, finishing about 8 seconds behind the four leading cars. RT 16.45 ...
I've now bought better tires and the turbos. The car is still on RH but it's got more power for 720 PP. Will see how that goes ! :)

Edit 1 : It went well. Got into the lead at the beginning of lap 7 and brought it home. I've not been much faster so, since it's been another event setup, I might have been a bit lucky as well.

Will have some more attempts for sure and will report back ... 🙋‍♂️

Edit 2 : @Greycap You just confirmed my runtimes with the stock GT-R '99 below. Perfect. 👍

Edit 3 : RH / mid range turbo / ECU output 75 % / ballast / 715 PP ( roughly the PP range of the stock NSX and Supra 2000 models ) for P1 on lap 6, RT 16.42, 6 seconds gap to P2.

Last edited:
Another case of a ton of rubberbanding indeed. The SC430 was stock specs on RM tyres, the GT-R stock specs on RH tyres, both on Normal difficulty. The overall times for individual cars differ by from some 20 seconds upwards.

Gran-Turismo-7-20240609111032.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20240609150111.png

Ok let's go.

I tried my very best to complete / win these races with the stock cars Nakano's randomizer gave me. And that went pretty well for the first three events.

- Laguna Seca's one of my all time favorite tracks and the C4 Corvette was almost the perfect match. It's been an easy yet not boring race and an easy win.

- The same goes for the trucks at Daytona. Kind of funny how PD times these races. The stock Tundra's been just that tiny bit faster than the field to close the gap inch by inch and get in front right in time. As soon as I had found out how to avoid getting spun out, everything's got really easy.

- I was a bit unsure regarding the car choice for St. Croix B. The RCR Civic that I hadn't driven before is 110 PP below the suggested level, however, it proved to be a fantastic, well balanced, easy to handle racing machine. Came in third at my first attempt with a lot of misjudging on my side, the second try brought the win - and a blast of a race against Izumi in the AMG for more than a lap. The best event this week beside Fuji.

- The Nürburgring challenge was a hard one and for sure needed more work and effort than average. This Honda concept car is a nice little thing, a motorcycle on four wheels and kind of a bitch when you want to move it at the limit. And too slow in my hands while in stock setup. So what I did was work my way up through the grid step by step with grippier tires. The SS compound and a slightly reduced power output for a final 599,85 PP got me on top of the podium. Maybe I'll try this again for a win with CRB.

- Fuji. Great event ! Mentioned up above how I was doing. Will definitely do it again. And I'm perfectly ok with no rain on the radar lol.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240607180604.jpg
Carrying as much speed as possible through T6 for Rahal

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240607202311.jpg
Daytona '24 - Ford vs Toyota

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240608142247.jpg
Outbraking three cars in one shot at the end of the bridge

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240608213840.jpg
Reminds me of ... ? ... post #3,346

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240609152839.jpg
There's a gap, an existing gap

And now : Back to the TV. A new Euro parliament's been elected today. Racing ? Tomorrow !

Last edited:
I have tried Fuji event today, for the first time, in hard difficulty.
I drived the new released Nsx gt500 on RM tires. My lap times were betwen 1:38 and 1:39 and i have lead the race from lap 4 to 7. Then, i could not resist against IA mizuno with the f1 longtail. His best lap was too fast, in 1:36...
I have finished second, 7s behind the f1.

What a great race! It's more funny than most of standard event. I hope it will be a regular race in the future.

I have tried Fuji event today, for the first time, in hard difficulty.
I drived the new released Nsx gt500 on RM tires. My lap times were betwen 1:38 and 1:39 and i have lead the race from lap 4 to 7. Then, i could not resist against IA mizuno with the f1 longtail. His best lap was too fast, in 1:36...
I have finished second, 7s behind the f1.

What a great race! It's more funny than most of standard event. I hope it will be a regular race in the future.
I'm curious about the car, never driven it before and thought about trying ...
Can you give me some details regarding your setup ? Is it stock on RM ? What is the PP level ?

Last edited:
I bet the next set of challenges will involve Le Mans somehow. Maybe a Special Event featuring the layouts that lack the chicanes on Mulsanne, and you can only use the Group C racers. (Especially since about half of the Group C cars in GT7 are from before 1990, when they added the chicanes.) I'd personally limit players to either the classic Le Mans racers of 1954, or perhaps a special selection of the Porsche 917K, Ford Mark IV, Ferrari 330 P4, and the Jaguar XJ13, but I do wonder if that'd be asking a bit much.

EDIT: I had another idea. Instead of there being no regulations at all for this currently-available event featuring cars of the JGTC, maybe they could permit any Gr.3 car from 1993-2004, being the years the JGTC was actually around. So you could use the GT500 trio, or maybe the 1995 version of the McLaren F1 GTR, for some examples. I'm very unconcerned about any repeating liveries, seeing how they made all these special ones for this current event - all seemingly modeled on real-world JGTC racers.

EDIT2: Or maybe instead of just limiting things to the four Gr.3 car we have from those years, it could be open to any car that's 700 PP or under from those years - provided they use a Racing tire compound. Wanna use a Ferrari F40, for example? Go ahead.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the car, never driven it before and thought about trying ...
Can you give me some details regarding your setup ? Is it stock on RM ? What is the PP level ?
My NSX was the stock car without setup, except RM tires.
The car handling was very good.
Next time i will try the same car on RS tires, because of no tire wearing in this race...

Last edited:
Miles ahead of the rest of the field, suddenly behind a car that finds an extra 200 BHP just to stop you getting near it.
I used Gr.4 Silvia S15 on stock settings, changed nothing else except for suspension camber and ride height; and finished 3rd with the leading guy having 6 seconds ahead.
I installed a turbo to the S15 and I could only catch up to the leading dude on the 6th lap. This is a very fun race given that the AI actually hang around wheel-to-wheel with you through most of it.

Back