What does a car say about its driver?

Roger the Horse
Saab Sonett III

I love Saabs, but I wanted something different and rare.

Ferrari Dino 246
Ferrari+dino+246+gt+1969_74_Ferrari_Dino_246_GT_Rene_Staud_01.jpg

I wanted a 250 GTO, but I'm neither a billionaire nor content with simply polishing my car all day long. But I'll still probably do the latter.

Honda CR-Z Mugen
mugen-2011-honda-cr-z_100307164_m.jpg

I am a conesiure of the Wankel engine, and this is my last chance.
Seeing as I love Wankels, and I'm actually looking at an RX-8 for my first car....
First and last chance.:guilty:

Last edited:
A highly conflicted person, who both drives a hybrid and has a car designed to attract the police into supermarket car parks late at night.

Volvo Sport

Volvo_P1900_1956.jpg

I have the first NASCAR ever to have more downforce than Saturn has gravity. Isn't it awesome?

Fiat Punto Abarth in metallic orange

I wanted a Mercedes Benz but this will have to do due to having a family to support.

1984 Ford Capri 5.0

I just stuck a huge engine in my Capri for no reason, and now I can't see where I'm going because it's sticking out the bonnet.

RedCorollaTrueno.jpg

Toyota AE86

I just stuck a huge engine in my Capri for no reason, and now I can't see where I'm going because it's sticking out the bonnet.

That doesn't say anything about the driver...

That doesn't say anything about the driver...

Or the fact that that car came with the engine to begin with...I probably should have said US version...Also the 5.0 is not exactly large. Displacement wise still really small for a V8...physically its puny.

The only way you would know that engine is in it is by the sound or badge...otherwise its compact enough you'd never know.

Last edited:
Define "here." I see more small V8s in Ferraris than I do 454s ;).

The US, New York in particular. Big displacement V8s are common, only because they came that way from the factory. Physical size wise, old V8s are small compared to newer ones. The old school 5.0 is a shrimp compared to the 4.6L and new 5.0. The old one is just under 2 feet wide with everything on it, and just over 2 feet in length, where as the 4.6L is a lot larger.

I present a highly humorous but ultimately stupid motoring programme.

mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-viii-mr-fq-400-top-3_124.jpg

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ400

For those who consider a 5.0 engine to be "small".

"I own a 400hp Evo - but still can be beaten by a Rent Fiat Stilo." - Top Gear reference if you didn't get it.

_________

BMW 123d M Sport 5 door.

bmw1seriesmsport.jpg

I present a highly humorous but ultimately stupid motoring programme.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ400

For those who consider a 5.0 engine to be "small".

When you live in a world where every V8 that exists is 6 liters and more, 5.0 is pretty small

Anyways, on topic, I want performance without guzzling gas

Conbon14
I dont see why. American engines are huge but seem to make little power (few exceptions obviously)

That's because those big guzzling V8's are made for people who like a flamboyant entrance. One touch of the accelerator in neutral and EVERYONE knows you've entered the scene.

Team THRT Drift
That's because those big guzzling V8's are made for people who like a flamboyant entrance. One touch of the accelerator in neutral and EVERYONE knows you've entered the scene.

Is this good or bad?

Thank you! :P
I dont see why. American engines are huge but seem to make little power (few exceptions obviously)

That depends on the year, engine, and brand. An engine that made 450hp in the '60s made 245 in the '80s. Really depends. American engines aren't made for horsepower, they are made for huge torque. Body twisting torque. That 245hp engine still makes 400 lb-ft of torque...imagine when it made 450hp. Yup.

@ Roger

I have a passion of classic Euro cars and love to restore them to factory specs, possibly for a profit in the future.

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429

BOSS429.JPG

When you live in a world where every V8 that exists is 6 liters and more, 5.0 is pretty small

:confused: Not every V8 that exists is over 6 litres. Even among American V8s, 6 litres is not universal. What about the 5.3 litre Vortec V8? The 5.7 litre Hemi? Ford's 4.6 and 5.4 litre modular V8s?

Anyways, on topic, I want performance without guzzling gas
Smaller engines help. You don't need a V8 to make big power; a six cylinder wil do the job very effectively, and a turbo four is great for that sort of thing.

Is this because they changed how they measured it?

Partially, that has some involvement, other stuff like insurance company interference, government emissions regulations etc is what killed the power from the factory. Aftermarket parts can be had for cheap and will really wake those motors up. Hell, before aftermarket everyone used '60s parts, simply because they were better.

Also I have read that when they changed power ratings they still lied about real power output. Something to the effect of gross power ratings were actually net ratings previously (which is why some motors are known to have well over what they rated them as on an engine stand, in the same condition as they were said to be rated with no accesories etc). This is why a 429 Drag pack made 500 horsepower and they rated it 375. So when they switched to net ratings, they actually made the old gross ratings. It sort of makes sense when you see factory dynoed motors on YouTube.

Example. 1970 429 Super Cobra Jet drag pack package ( was nothing other than a rear end gear and a SJC motor, optional in most cars) from a Torino was rated 375 horsepower bone stock. This engine in this video is bone stock and tested in the exact same way the old ones were. It made 494hp and 503 lb-ft of torque. That was in 1970. Don't believe me? Read the description in the video. You decide who was honest.

:confused: Not every V8 that exists is over 6 litres. Even among American V8s, 6 litres is not universal. What about the 5.3 litre Vortec V8? The 5.7 litre Hemi? Ford's 4.6 and 5.4 litre modular V8s?

That is correct, a lot of those same sizes existed then. Big blocks are almost non existent, at least now in modern production vehicles, but the fact that there is bajillions of them everywhere still makes the point pretty valid.

Smaller engines help. You don't need a V8 to make big power; a six cylinder wil do the job very effectively, and a turbo four is great for that sort of thing.

This is also true, I just happen to be a V8 guy. To me, they just do everything better. That's my opinion. That doesn't mean they are the end all to every engine in the world. That's simply not the case.

This is also true, I just happen to be a V8 guy. To me, they just do everything better. That's my opinion. That doesn't mean they are the end all to every engine in the world. That's simply not the case.

I can understand this. I was at a car show a few months ago, and I got to stand next to an first generation Camaro as it backed to a parking spot. GReat, great noise. Realistically, though, I'd want to own something smaller and cheaper to run, or if I was going to get a big engine, I'd want 12 cylinders. :mischievous:

Back