Would you rather?

• Thread starter motortrend
  • 22,046 comments
Manta - Because it's so much better than the Camaro.
Noble - The fastest of the trio, plus it looks really well.
Plymouth Duster Dodge Demon - Hard to explain but I love Demons.
Caballero - "Gentleman" in spanish, plus it looks like an even weirder El Camino.
Mazda - Mazda fanboy.
Viper - When I was a "Cruis'n World" playing kid I dreamed of Vipers rather than Ferraris.

512 TR - handsome aggression with a bit of restrained flamboyance, and the shrill-sounding, hair-raising flat-12! And I'm not one of those people who detest the Testarossa side scoops as vulgar and ugly; I think it makes the car look properly rakish, without being too "in-your-face".

I'd have taken the Viper if it's the newer GTS though, with the stripes on it. If I think of my favorite American cars, it will definitely end up in the top ten. It was the cover car of both Test Drive 5 and Test Drive 6, two racing games that I used to enjoy. All the V10s in Vipers produce some of the most unique sounds in the automotive world, and I'm sure they are enthralling to drive fast, but the RT/10's a tad bland to me. Also, something about the way it looks is flashily cheapish in an inadvertently overt way, like a saturated blob of muscles on wheels. Plus, it would probably end up killing me as a relatively inexperienced driver. :lol:

Definitely the Viper. Still have the RT/10 as a poster on my wall, plus it has no roof at all, perfect for the current summer so long as air con is fitted lol :D

Opel Manta vs. Chevrolet Camaro
The Camaro is one of the few Chevrolets I like, and one of the few muscle cars I don't hate too. Unfortunately, it's against an Opel Manta; there's no way I could leave the Opel.

Ginetta G60 vs. Noble M600 vs. Jaguar F-Type Coupe V6 S
Easy, the Ginetta, because it's a Ginetta. Jag gets second because the Noble looks naff and'll probably fall apart just before catching fire.
Ford Mustang vs. Plymouth Duster

Duster. I don't really have a reason. I wouldn't want to own either of these in 6-cylinder version anyhow.

GMC Callabero 305 vs. Holden Kingswood Utility

Holden, because it looks nicer and I like Holdens. I couldn't tell you why, but I do.

Mercedes-Benz A180 vs. Mazda 3 SP25 GT vs. Hyundai Veloster Turbo vs. BMW 116i
Mercedes is out for looking awkward. The Veloster is out as well for looking worse and having one of the dumbest names I've ever heard. I don't know anything know anything about the 116i, I don't think they're sold in the US, but I do know that Mazda currently doesn't sell a bad car here, the 3 is fuel-efficient, relatively quick, and good-handling; three things I'm very much a fan of.

Dodge Viper vs. Ferrari 512 TR

Viper; the first-gen isn't my favorite, but that particular Ferrari isn't very nice.

GMC because it looks better
BMW because it's the best all round car and it's a BMW
Ferrari because looks better and Chris Harris owns one :P

GMC Caballero vs. Holden Kingswood Utility - I've never heard of these. I'll take the Kingswood.

Mercedes-Benz A180 vs. Mazda Mazda3 SP25 GT vs. Hyundai Veloster SR Turbo vs. BMW 116i - Easily the Veloster. I love this car.

Results:
1. Hyundai Veloster SR Turbo
2. Mercedes-Benz A180
3. BMW 116i
4. Mazda Mazda2 SP25 GT

Dodge Viper vs. Ferrari 512 Testarossa - Ferrari, who wouldn't pick it? Apparently a lot of people.

1964 Ford GT40 MkI
1965_Ford_GT40MarkI-0-1536.jpg

vs.

1966 Ford GT40 MkII
1104sr_01_z%2B1966_ford_gt_mk_ii%2B.jpg

vs.

1966 Ford GT40 MkIII
1966_Ford_GT40MarkIII1.jpg

vs.

1967 Ford GT40 MkIV
ford-gt40-mkiv-06.jpg

vs.

2007 Matech-Ford GT3
Auto%2BRacing_wallpapers_80.jpg

Porsche 911 GT1 Road Car vs. Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Road Car vs. Lotus Elise GT1 Road Car - Pretty hard between the Merc/Porsche, but I'll take the Porsche.

Results:
1. Porsche 911 GT1 Road Car
2. Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Road Car
3. Lotus Elise GT1 Road Car

1964 Ford GT40 MkI vs. 1966 Ford GT40 MkII vs. 1966 Ford GT40 MkIII vs. 1967 Ford GT40 MkIV vs. 2007 Matech-Ford GT3
I'll get the GT40 MkII, the prettiest to me. The first GT40 that won Le Mans, back then in 1966, was a MkII model, and it will forever be remembered as the car that shattered Enzo Ferrari's pride in the endurance racing scene. I'm a Ferrari fan, not a Ferrari fanboy though, but I'm also a sucker for historical significance, and I enjoy the story behind the GT40.

1997 Porsche 911 GT1 Straßenversion vs. Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR Road Car vs. Lotus Elise GT1 Road Car
The CLK-GTR. My favorite Mercedes-Benz right there. It is, undoubtedly, a majestic beast, the most regal-looking out of all the road-going versions of 90s GT1 racers. Others just seem ruggedly finished compared to it. The CLK-GTR has great hints of its connection to motorsport, but it still retains that pristine feel and Mercedes-style elegance. To me that makes it highly appreciable, more so than the other two. But it's not my favorite out of all the road-going versions of 90s GT1 racers.

It still can't match the dramatic might displayed by the contours of the road-going McLaren F1 GTR "LongTail". If that was part of the selection, I'd have chosen that instead. Or a road-going F40 GTE with its fear-inducing rear end, if included. Or the smashing F50 GT, if it's part of the comparison as well, which was one of the great what ifs in GT racing despite not having truly raced.

Actually, the 911 GT1 Straßenversion in Ranman20's post gave me an idea. Which 911 GT1 Straßenversion will you choose?

1996 Porsche 911 GT1 Straßenversion
Porsche-993-GT1.jpg

1997 Porsche 911 GT1 Straßenversion
1998_Porsche_911_GT1_street_version_005_9701.jpg

1998 Porsche 911 GT1 Straßenversion
dsc1356_r.jpg

Last edited:
• GT40 Mk1 - it's the only one of the four you could race today and have a chance of being competitive in.
• 911 GT1
• 1998 Porsche 911 GT1 Straßenversion

I would go with the Elise GT1, only because there is only 1 in existence and would become a sought after car in the future.

BMW E30 M3

e30-m3.jpg

Or

Mercedes 190E Evolution 2.3-16

Mercedes_190E_Evolution_II.jpg

Back