WSCC - Corvette GT2 Le Mans Intercontinental Cup - Monday Evenings

• Thread starter turbogeit
  • 452 comments
So the first overtake point is the small straight which would be the start/finish on the Nordschleife? Or after the first turn of the Nordschleife? With full throttle being allowed from the small straight just before the left onto the Nordschleife?

Race start is a little vague and I think this needs clarifying and putting into the OP sooner rather than later.

Edit: Here's an image of the 24hr layout to:
605px-Nordschleife-layout.jpg

http://fullchatter.com/files/2009/11/605px-Nordschleife-layout.jpg

I think intermediate 1 is that straight on the GP/F just before turn 3. First turn out of the pits is a R, 2nd is a L.

I do know where the "last" chicane is before entering the Nordeschleife. There is a long staright just before it. Lots of sand on the left.

Also I think if the person on pole were to push the start button on his wheel the car would auto-cruise at about 40mph. He could let it cruise til that passing point then hit his throttle. That would make it easier for everyone to maintain distance without getting to close or too far behind. One of the problems in the last two races were that drivers developed a significant lag behind other cars, or getting too close.

The start is explained very clearly in the thread and the link turbo posted above takes you right to it. 👍

The race starts when the pole position car exits the chicane leading to the last straight before you enter the Nordschleife. If you are not on pole, just watch the car in front of you and accelerate when he does.

This start procedure has worked very well up to now, all you have to do is follow the car in front of you. Even if they don't run a constant speed, and I've never been in a rolling start that maintained a constant speed, all you have to do is not let a big gap get between you and the car in front of you. :)

Also I think if the person on pole were to push the start button on his wheel the car would auto-cruise at about 40mph. He could let it cruise til that passing point then hit his throttle. That would make it easier for everyone to maintain distance without getting to close or too far behind. One of the problems in the last two races were that drivers developed a significant lag behind other cars, or getting too close.

That's actually a good idea. 💡 The only problem is, your tires don't warm up during that period before you hit the accelarator (or they do very little). I'd like to see this procedure used only, let the leader accelerate after the 2nd or 3rd turn instead of waiting until we are almost on the Nordeschleife. This would at least give us a chance to do some racing (passing) before hitting the Nordeschleife, where it's almost impossible to pass unless someone goes off track.

I don't think starting in the back is a huge problem on most tracks in a long race, on this track I think it's almost a death sentence.

BTW: I believe the front runners can easily do a 1 stop with some careful driving. If you are starting anywhere from mid pack on back there is no way a 1 stop will work. (just my opinion, and I'm usually wrong :dopey:)

Got in some practice tonight and can do consistent 8:29's on second lap, I lose 5-6 sec (if I'm lucky) on 3rd lap.... won't even talk about the 4th :scared:

I'd like to see this procedure used only, let the leader accelerate after the 2nd or 3rd turn instead of waiting until we are almost on the Nordeschleife. This would at least give us a chance to do some racing (passing) before hitting the Nordeschleife, where it's almost impossible to pass unless someone goes off track.

Agree here! Think after 2-3 turns give a green light! But there are a lot of places to pass on the ring, just have to be in the right position for that portion of the track.

I don't think starting in the back is a huge problem on most tracks in a long race, on this track I think it's almost a death sentence.

Yep! In arcade when I caught the leaders early I could battle, if not it was over.

BTW: I believe the front runners can easily do a 1 stop with some careful driving.

I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone can go 4 without very disastrous results.

:

Should be fun!

Some comments:

* About your laptimes: did you think to test with "grip reduction: real". Makes a big difference here: on wheel on the grass and you spin.

* the "start button option" for the leader: not realistic: he will have cold tyres and won't be able to accelerate in time.

* passing allowed as soon as you are on the Nordschleife.

* starting in the back will not be a real disadvantage here, any more as on other tracks. I'm convinced that there won't be many drivers able to do a clean first lap. So: be clean and you win many places in lap 1. Remember the "slow guys" like me are in the front.

* I tested yesterday a bit and I found out that by slowing down just a little you make
a big difference in tyrewear.

@FishHunters - I ran 4 laps online 4 times, I spun on the 4th lap 3 out of the 4, but still managed a better time than pitting would have cost me. If you are in the lead and don't have to wear out your tires trying to pass or avoid slower cars, then 1 stop is not only doable, but a very viable option.

Unfortunately, you can't pick and choose when you catch a slower car. I agree that there are places you can pass, but they are few and far between. Waiting for one, or for someone to mess up is going to cost you a lot of time.

@turbo - Those times were online with grip set to real and strong penalties on. I never pushed it to see how good a lap I could run, I ran conservatively to avoid spinning or going off track. Sub 8:30's are fairly easy on the second lap, you lose too much grip on the 3rd lap and if you run a 4th, you just have to approach all the corners differently to avoid going off.

I hope you are right about starting in the back not being a disadvantage... normally I agree with that. Not this time. :) I think our starting procedure, while being something I really like on most tracks, is going to kill it for the back starters in this race.

@FishHunters - I ran 4 laps online 4 times, I spun on the 4th lap 3 out of the 4, but still managed a better time than pitting would have cost me. If you are in the lead and don't have to wear out your tires trying to pass or avoid slower cars, then 1 stop is not only doable, but a very viable option.

Unfortunately, you can't pick and choose when you catch a slower car. I agree that there are places you can pass, but they are few and far between. Waiting for one, or for someone to mess up is going to cost you a lot of time.

@turbo - Those times were online with grip set to real and strong penalties on. I never pushed it to see how good a lap I could run, I ran conservatively to avoid spinning or going off track. Sub 8:30's are fairly easy on the second lap, you lose too much grip on the 3rd lap and if you run a 4th, you just have to approach all the corners differently to avoid going off.

I hope you are right about starting in the back not being a disadvantage... normally I agree with that. Not this time. :) I think our starting procedure, while being something I really like on most tracks, is going to kill it for the back starters in this race.

I have big problems to come under 8:50 and keeping the car on the track. Perhaps because I'm testing now on a TV, while normally I have a cinema screen.

We shall see, but I still think on this track start position is not important. We will see. And even if it is: it's part of the game, like in some real world championships where in race 2 the top 8 starts in reverse order.

As everyone seems to be saying a 1 stopper is most likely impossible, I'm taking this 1 stopper as a challenge :lol:

As everyone seems to be saying a 1 stopper is most likely impossible, I'm taking this 1 stopper as a challenge :lol:

Lol same here, I did a 10 lap race last night in the Corvette (550hp, 1300kg) and did 4 laps on the racing soft tyres so it's definitely possible

Important

I had read this on GTP, but thought it had been resolved by upgrades, but unfortunately it is not the case: from time to time, in the dark, the road just disappears an it is like the drivingline is in the air. After I had this, I quitted the track and it took a long time before I could change the settings. There is clearly something wrong.

Edit: wrote this while it happened. It was even worse: I had to leave the lounge.

Conclusion: we will use the normal, non time-change version

It was really weird: I had read messages about that concerning some places on the Nordschleife track, but this time, it happened on the GP-section: in the lefthander after intermediate 1: track was gone and driving line was in the air, a big part of the screen was just black, as if something was missing. The black part stopped there were you turn in for the next righthander. Looks like the system couldn't retrieve one or more segments of its registry.

Just remember: GT5 is only a "demo" they made us pay full price.

You imagine of course what it would give if that happened again during the race.
So there was no other choice than changing the track version.

Meanwhile, I found back one of the posts were this had been reported

Lol same here, I did a 10 lap race last night in the Corvette (550hp, 1300kg) and did 4 laps on the racing soft tyres so it's definitely possible

On racing softs there would be no doubt of doing 1 stop, racing hards don't last as long as the softs. A 1 stop is completely doable, you just have to be able to run that 4th lap without going off or spinning.

GT5_circuit_Nurburgring_24h.svg

hey turbo saw you did not find the correct image for the 24h version for the home page :) here it is, just copy the link 👍

Important

I had read this on GTP, but thought it had been resolved by upgrades, but unfortunately it is not the case: from time to time, in the dark, the road just disappears an it is like the drivingline is in the air. After I had this, I quitted the track and it took a long time before I could change the settings. There is clearly something wrong.

Edit: wrote this while it happened. It was even worse: I had to leave the lounge.

Conclusion: we will use the normal, non time-change version

The track disappearing really isn't for long, possibly a 8 seconds of driving max, and it doesnt effect (well it doesnt to me) driving so much if the driver knows the track. I'll be a little dissapointed if the day/night isnt on as for me, doing long events in the same conditions gets boring and repetitive. Oh and dont forget I like the flashy lights in the cockpit in the dark :dopey:

It has happened when entire minutes disappear and it is a real problem, we ran it in the GTP track days which were over an hour and it became undrivable.

It has happened when entire minutes disappear and it is a real problem, we ran it in the GTP track days which were over an hour and it became undrivable.

Well I guess its just pot lucky then. The last time I took part in an online endurance at Nurb was a 10 lap WSGTC series race, and the very few rare times the tracks disapeared, it only occurred for a few corners.

Well I guess its just pot lucky then. The last time I took part in an online endurance at Nurb was a 10 lap WSGTC series race, and the very few rare times the tracks disapeared, it only occurred for a few corners.

That seems bad enough. Suppose you are on the lead and miss a corner because of that.

The worst was that, when I quitted the track, the game was stuck: I couldn't enter the track again or change the settings and had to leave the lounge.

:confused: It's only my impression or someone can confirm this:

on the 24h track without time change thers is much less grip generally in every corner of the track :nervous:

can anyone confirm this?

on the 24h track without time change thers is much less grip generally in every corner of the track :nervous:

can anyone confirm this?

I have only practiced on the non-time change track, was going to practice tonight with time change to get used to it..... now I'm glad I didn't use it before.:) For what it's worth, the grip seems to be what I expect from these hard tires, for me it's not so much the lack of grip, than it is the wear that makes these tires so frustrating.

I have only practiced on the non-time change track, was going to practice tonight with time change to get used to it..... now I'm glad I didn't use it before.:) For what it's worth, the grip seems to be what I expect from these hard tires, for me it's not so much the lack of grip, than it is the wear that makes these tires so frustrating.

After some more laps I'm getting use to it. I feel there's less grip than the day changing version. I was able to manage my best lap so far 8:26.0xx but...
I'm still worried :scared:

can anyone confirm this?

It has been reported many times and I have experienced it several times too: grip can change from session to session.

I had the impression it was better in the no time change version.

What I feel also is that grip can depend: 1) on the number of cars on track (the more cars, the less grip and 2) perhaps also on the connection quality.

After some more laps I'm getting use to it. I feel there's less grip than the day changing version. I was able to manage my best lap so far 8:26.0xx but...
I'm still worried :scared:

I just ran a 4 lap race and instead of running conservatively on the second lap I went all out to see if I could match your 8:26, well that was a mistake :ill: I went off 3 times on the second lap. I did manage to run 8:45 on the 4th lap though. :sly:

I really think these practice lap times are not going to mean much in the race, traffic is going to change everything.

I just ran a 4 lap race and instead of running conservatively on the second lap I went all out to see if I could match your 8:26, well that was a mistake :ill: I went off 3 times on the second lap. I did manage to run 8:45 on the 4th lap though. :sly:

I really think these practice lap times are not going to mean much in the race, traffic is going to change everything.

that's why im worried :scared:

Disappointed with the track change. I had the "black-track" happen to me once in practice. Just made me slow down for about 5 seconds until it came back.

Back