Playstation 3 System Update Thread

It has been hinted at. And what's with Snake carrying around an iPod, hmm? With the update heavily rumored to coincide with MGS4's release, the iPod seems to serve as a hint to in-game music more than it seems to serve as anything else.

As in-game music has been possible on the developer end Snake with an iPod (sure that isn't his cigs? I need a screenshot) could just mean that MGS4 will allow customizable music, which seems odd considering they hire expensive composers for the game music.

Or maybe he finally ripped the codec out of his ear so that it doesn't annoy me right as I get spotted by a guard ("Snake, you've been spotted. You should run and hide. Why are you talking to me?"). So, maybe that's his new codec? Unlikely, but I can wish.

mgs4_ipod1.jpg

If the game features custom soundtracks, I won't use them until AFTER I beat it. The OST is that good, it deserves one play through on it's own.

Guy's, it's looking like 2.4 is going to be out later than anticipated, unexpected 'bugs' came up. We'll be lucky if it hit's this month, but it's looking more and more like July at this point.

Guy's, it's looking like 2.4 is going to be out later than anticipated, unexpected 'bugs' came up. We'll be lucky if it hit's this month, but it's looking more and more like July at this point.
You keep making comments about 2.4, but giving no explanation or links.

Where are you getting your info?

You keep making comments about 2.4, but giving no explanation or links.

Where are you getting your info?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. The way he says things it's as if he is some secret opperative for Sony, and is directly involved, instead of simply reading some info/specualtion off the internet and not giving credit to the source, or offering a link for those that want to read the info themselves.

Oh well. If it helps, here is the link to the people that started the speculation on 2.4 and now updated with the news of the *delay.

*Although, considering there was never any official release date, it's not really a delay, right?

FW 2.40 Is NOT Coming June 10th
Posted on June 10, 2008 at 2:50am on PlaystationLifestyle.net
We normally report good news, but its unfortunate that right now I am here to report BAD news.

I have just received word that the elusive, and anticipated firmware update 2.40 for the PlayStation 3 console, will NOT be available for update tomorrow.

I was also told its TRUE that the debug version did have some bugs. Exactly what bugs they are encountering is still unknown.

Rest assured that FW 2.40 is INDEED on its way and all the features we have leaked will be IN the update.

PlayStation LifeStyle will do our best to bring you the exact release date.

We will keep you updated, if any we receive any further information…

UPDATE

CONFIRMED:
Jeff Rubenstein replied on June 9, 2008 at 3:22 pm

You know the drill - a few days before firmware updates, we give you the lowdown. That hasn’t changed.

What else hasn’t changed: if you don’t see it here, take what you read with a grain of salt.

NOTE: The good thing is that this would have been an opportunity for him to debunk FW 2.40 features, if they weren’t true.

New video footage from PS3news on what appears to be a beta test of 2.40

Interesting little app called SD Loader v1.00, which apprently lets you store and play games right off of an SD memory card.

New video footage from PS3news on what appears to be a beta test of 2.40

Interesting little app called SD Loader v1.00, which apprently lets you store and play games right off of an SD memory card.
That is interesting, but odd. I can't imagine many games fitting on affordable SD cards (Ridge Racer has to be more than a couple of gigs) and that Sony would add that and not a Memory Stick app just defies their past pushing of the Memory Stick.

Not that I would complain, SD cards are cheaper and about six months ahead of Memory Stick's in size technology. I'm not sure which is quicker though.

Plus, if they did this for Memory Stick then it would be something that could interact with the PSP too.

But then the idea that Sony would give a memory card gaming option at all defies logic when it comes to copyright issues. It is almost like inviting pirates to have a go at it. Although I imagine it would require a specially formatted card with a unit/account-based ID marker, much like the PSP.

Digital-Nitrate- you are a trusted source, keep it coming...
Thanks, but all I'm doing here is sharing links to info I have read/seen. I'm in the same boat as everyone else... wondering what is real and what is just clever hype and doing my best to filter out the FUD. :)

any news on flash9 'update'?
Sadly, no. I went through a week long obstacle course via Adobe's telephone and online technical support, and just kept getting the run around. Although no one at Adobe would admit it, it seems pretty clear that the responsibility lies with Adobe, and that they simply have not written a Flash9 plug-in for the PS3's browser, nor most browsers other than those used for traditional personal computers. 👎

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. The way he says things it's as if he is some secret opperative for Sony, and is directly involved, instead of simply reading some info/specualtion off the internet and not giving credit to the source, or offering a link for those that want to read the info themselves.

You aren't, I've often wondered myself. Thanks for the cited information 👍!

Holy carp,
holycarpkn2.jpg

:D

...if they made a Memory Stick that big and a couple hundred dollars cheaper I would toss my iPod and just use the PSP.

I'd probably actually think about getting a PSP if that came to be. Memory sticks have always seemed really really expensive. My Sony camera took them and I couldn't believe how much the 1 gig was when I first got it. I'm sure they are much cheaper now though.

holycarpkn2.jpg

:D

I'd probably actually think about getting a PSP if that came to be. Memory sticks have always seemed really really expensive. My Sony camera took them and I couldn't believe how much the 1 gig was when I first got it. I'm sure they are much cheaper now though.

These days Memory sticks are really cheap now. When i got my camera, i ordered an 2 gig mem stick with it and it only cost me 27 euros.:)

Well done, sir.

No kidding? Wow, I might have to think about a PSP now.
Well, they do have a 16 GB Memory Stick out now. You can get them for about $200.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013AX2HO/?tag=gtplanet-20

But a few months back I managed to get a 4GB from an Amazon retailer for about $35. That was enough to put 10 movies on for my Hawaii trip.

I may contemplate that 16GB card. My iPod (15gb) has been slowly going out (settings reset on its own, battery life down to about 3-4 hours) and it seems that Apple forgot that some of us don't want pictures and video. If I could get a 15-30GB iPod without pictures or videos for about $100 I would be happy. I just want something to listen to my Podiobooks and music on in the car.

My PSP is much more convenient for pics and video with the widescreen, removable storage, and video-out. I've actually been using it as a portable slideshow device for my Hawaii pictures anytime I visit someone that wants to see them. I just hook it up to their TV and instant slideshow.

It also works with my PC's file system in a way that makes sense. I actually moved a PSN bought PS1 game and its save from one memory card to the other using my PC. If the 16GB card gets into a range that I am willing to pay before my iPod dies then I will definitely be abandoning the iPod altogether.

With Beats on my PSP I have already loaded a gig of music on it just so I could play that with my own music. Freebird is sitting as my high score with Stairway to Heaven just behind. With a 16GB card devoted to music and Podiobooks I would put Beats on that card alone and be done.

Plus, with the Blu-Ray digital copy coming for PSP then I may need the extra storage space.

Honestly, games aside, the PSP is coming into its own as an all-inclusive portable device.

Too bad there are only a handful of dedicated games that I want. But even the gaming area is changing with the PS3 and PSN. All I can say is Echochrome.

Well, obviously other than that. btw, You did see the price was $399 right?
Good point. You can get two of the 16GB Memory Stick's for that and they supposedly transfer faster (MS - 32MB/s vs SD - 20 MB/s That may need fact checking as I pulled it from retail specs)

I was replying to Nick09 but I think two 16gb might be a better deal even though it's two cards not one.

Not like you'll play all 16gb worth of games in one sitting. :dopey:

@ FK, you sure got your 4gb stick really cheap. Mine was like 80 euros when i first bought it :eek:. I might be getting the 8gb stick:tup:. I wonder how much those are now?

I've PM'd certain members regarding a few things. If you are upset that I don't post links, that's fine, just know that most of my information generally comes before the links you all post up, if you don't want to take my information, that's fine, I can gladly stop giving you guy's a heads up of what is coming or isn't coming. I'm just trying to be nice and divulge what little info I get, I don't see the need for questioning, really.

Now, if I had posted up information that wasn't correct, that would certainly be a different story.

I've PM'd certain members regarding a few things. If you are upset that I don't post links, that's fine, just know that most of my information generally comes before the links you all post up, if you don't want to take my information, that's fine, I can gladly stop giving you guy's a heads up of what is coming or isn't coming. I'm just trying to be nice and divulge what little info I get, I don't see the need for questioning, really.

Now, if I had posted up information that wasn't correct, that would certainly be a different story.

You see you act like you are an inside member at Sony and getting all of this information before hand. Also when you do post information like:

I wouldn't bet on an exact date folks. Just giving you a heads up. "Soon". Not saying it will or will not come on any rumored dates, just saying...things change.

If you are getting your information from a particular site why not just post the link? Some members my not have been to the site you visit or read the same gaming blogs you do. It also makes your posts more creditable. D-N has consistently provided valid information with sources and citations in his post.

Back