VCRC Tournament#4 Ford RS200 '84 -Congrats OwensRacing!

Was you looking in the thread for a report that the room was open?

Most of us when it gets close to race time we start checking the VCRC Lounge.

I feel your pain on missing races. Especially if you spent time practicing.

I was in this thread and watching the PSN friends list for the VCRC lounge to be opened for two hours.

Looks more like a lack of posting in this thread of where and when the private lounge / or public lobby room number was opened.

A simple note here along the lines of the private lounge or online lobby room (post room number) would have helped a lot.

This was the last posted message I saw.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6700658#post6700658

The VCRC won't actually log in and go online. It is the meeting spot. It will be offline. However go to that name then coffee cup about 30 minutes before race. :)

Congratulations to Owens, pretty sure he took down the win for the day along with 2 race wins. My apologies to anyone effected by my inconsiderate and wreckless driving today. No excuse for the incidents that took place.

I was in this thread and watching the PSN friends list for the VCRC lounge to be opened for two hours.

Looks more like a lack of posting in this thread of where and when the private lounge / or public lobby room number was opened.

A simple note here along the lines of the private lounge or online lobby room (post room number) would have helped a lot.

This was the last posted message I saw.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6700658#post6700658

Sorry Drand...the VCRC is an ID that is used only for hosting races...a private lounge whose only friends are those that race in the VCRC. Punch "owns" the ID but will sign in as Punch so VCRC will never appear online even when the lounge has people in it. So next time just click on VCRC, then look in the lounge and you'll see people there, then just join in. Sorry for the confusion.

Great job today Owens...you were hooked up!! 👍 👍

:banghead: ... :banghead: ... :banghead: ... :banghead:

The VCRC won't actually log in and go online. It is the meeting spot.
SVCRC will never appear online even when the lounge has people in it. So next time just click on VCRC, then look in the lounge and you'll see people there, then just join in. Sorry for the confusion

Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!
NOTE: I will make that more clear in the future on the OP.
I'll try to make the scheduling run-down a bit clearer too.

I know that a lot of hosts track down all their sign-ups for races. And I do try to do that, when I can.
But, and I'm going to say this & hope that it doesn't come off like I'm complaining or something... But it's enough to worry about the settings for the races & organizing everything... I'm human. I just can't track everyone down at the last minute.
Also, it's very important that we stick to a schedule because many participants of organized races have plans & obligations, etc, and expect that it really will be 1-1/2 hours. If I myself don't make it into the track in time, then so be that as well. The show must go on. ;)
I hope that didn't seem unwelcoming. If someone is late, they're always welcome to stay for the next race. There's no rule about participating in all 3 races, other than that you will miss out on points if you don't.
But I set the race auto timer, and that's that. It's just the only way I know to keep things on schedule.

So I hope we'll have people willing to give it a try again next week or sometime.

This won't be my last plan with this car, as I think it was fun. Very fun.
I'm thinking perhaps of doing Johnnypenso's suggestion of maybe a 3 lap race with it at Nurb 24hrs sometime.
So if anyone's interested in that, pipe up!!

Race Report:
Eiger was, as expected, quite the upset. :lol:
I apparently did NOT save the replay. :boggled:
Sorry.

So I can only speak for myself, and say sorry to Johnnypenso. GTSail290 was dogging me for a couple of laps straight, and I was paying too much attention to him, that Johnnypenso appeared out of nowhere, and according to a race steward, I was responsible for his unfortunate switchback in the switchback after he sneaked around me & got in a pass. As soon as I could get to safety outside the bottleneck, I slowed, & GTSail290 & Brandonw77 went past me, and then I noticed that there was no sense in waiting for Johnnypenso because he wasn't coming. :grumpy: So I said well then pooey on Johnnypenso passing on the switchback & taking a coffee break, and went about my business. :lol: :sly: :P

Anyway, apparently there were a couple of incidents on the switchback hairpins.
This is to be expected, I know. And I really want to emphasize that an incident is only an incident if you don't make contact concession.
So that's just a reminder on that. We're all cool with a bit of the occasional bumper boats, if we be sporting about it when it happens.
So I hope we can all be forgiving about all of us being rather exuberant in this most exciting car!!

I'm going to explain the Tournament concept again here. LOL
The race/track order, and it being Reverse Grid Order, is no accident, and I do it on purpose...
With malice of forethought!!!
evil.gif
mwahahaha!!!
Just kidding. ;)
It's to make sure our more experienced or more talented racers we like to race with, are given enough challenge. We shouldn't like anyone getting bored!!! :sly:
Our vintage low hp unmodified races are definitely a niche interest, so it's important we can all have fun races despite there being discrepancies in our general speed with various cars. :)

So keep that in mind with the RGO... The difficult to pass on track will ALWAYS be the 2nd race. :mischievous:
evil.gif
:sly:

And OwensRacing... yes, very impressive maneuvers!
Watching him on Eiger gave me an incentive to try & keep up with him for awhile, just to watch him dance through the track. :lol:

Race results will be posted soon...

My Race Reports

Cape Ring North - Got pole :D and then a very clean race to finish 3rd. Brandon was slightly quicker and I couldn't retake 2nd so I was happy to finish 3rd. Johnny was catching up very fast though.

Eiger - Crashed on lap 1 after getting way out of shape on the entry to the left right corner at the end. After that it was just a case of overtaking people who spun/crashed/retired.

Trial Mountain - Got off to a poor start as I was trying to turn the music off on my ipod :lol:. Miles off the pace of the front runners so I had a great battle with watermelon. Loads of passes and then I started to pull out a bit of a gap but being cocky trying to drift I crashed so I was left battling for position again. After more passes I lost out on the straight. It was then full throttle through the last corner to regain 5th? by a tenth. Good stuff. 👍

Absolutely loved the RS200.

Championship Points

1. OwensRacing / OwensRacing / Black & Gold (40pts)
  2. BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / silver (34pts)
  3. GTsail290 / GTsail2 / WR Blue Mica (31pts)
  4. Johnnypenso / Johnnypenso / 70s FireChicken (30pts)
  5. TyrrellRacing / TyrrellRacing / White (29pts)
  6. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Toucan Yellow (25pts)
  7. cc570 / cc570 / green (19pts)
  8. TrackBound7 / TrackBound7 / light blue (15pts - 2/3 races)
  9. jackargent / jackargent / neon green & pink (13pts - 2/3 races)

tourn4002s.jpg

OwensRacing leads us on a merry chase.

Race Results:

Race #1: Cape Ring North

1. OwensRacing / OwensRacing / Black & Gold
  2. BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / silver
  3. TyrrellRacing / TyrrellRacing / White
  4. Johnnypenso / Johnnypenso / 70s FireChicken
  5. GTsail290 / GTsail2 / WR Blue Mica
  6. TrackBound7 / TrackBound7 / light blue
  7. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Toucan Yellow
  8. jackargent / jackargent / green & pink
  9. cc570 / cc570 / green

Race #2: Eiger Nordwand Short Track

1. OwensRacing / OwensRacing / Black & Gold
  2. GTsail290 / GTsail2 / WR Blue Mica
  3. BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / silver
  4. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Toucan Yellow
  5. TyrrellRacing / TyrrellRacing / White
  6. cc570 / cc570 / green
  7. TrackBound7 / TrackBound7 / light blue
  8. Johnnypenso / Johnnypenso / 70s FireChicken

Race #3: Trial Mountain Reverse

1. Johnnypenso / Johnnypenso / 70s FireChicken
  2. OwensRacing / OwensRacing / Black & Gold
  3. BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / silver
  4. GTsail290 / GTsail2 / WR Blue Mica
  5. TyrrellRacing / TyrrellRacing / White
  6. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Toucan Yellow
  7. jackargent / jackargent / green & pink
  8. cc570 / cc570 / green

tourn4001s.jpg

Everyone fancies a jump track once in awhile.

tourn4003s.jpg

70s Firechicken shakin' some tails.

tourn4004s.jpg

Those of us who choose to paint our cars...

tourn4005s.jpg

Bond. WatermelonBond.

tourn4006ss.jpg

tourn4007ss.jpg

BrandonW77... the burninator!

tourn4008s.jpg

Tyrrellracing, besting 5th place at the last moment.

Here's my contribution, myself and Tyrrell going 2-wide over the jump!

imagejnp.jpg

It was a pleasure racing with all of you again. I really had a wonderful time and continue to thoroughly enjoy the car selections. Looking forward to more great racing!

Thanks for waiting Punch.👍 I was completely turned around and the track is so tight in the switchbacks I didn't want to take a chance on getting out in front of someone and causing an incident or slowing them down as I got reoriented.

I watched the replay and still can't figure out what happened in the first lap at Cape Ring. I think I had 0 rear brake balance there but in the third corner, the tight double apex hairpin that crosses over the track, I lost the back end but not to the left which you would think entering a right hand hairpin, but to the right. It completely caught me off guard...lol. And no one touched me either...it was weird:crazy:

Anyway it was fun playing catch up:tup:

Congratulations again to Owens for a convincing overall victory:tup:👍 and congrats againt to Team Orca in the form of myself, Owens, Brandon and Trackbound for another strong showing!!

Great racing everyone!
Congratulations to OwensRacing!

Eiger Nordwand is great fun, but its a very tough track on which to pass cleanly.

Watermelonpunch was doing a great job of driving the track (as usual) and I was finding it very hard to find my way past. So I was doing my "dogged" best for a few laps.

From my vantage point, it seemed that Punch probably caused the incident with Johnnypenso. Johnnypenso had swung wide a little, so Punch was trying to take a tighter line and some in-advertant contact insued. At most tracks this contact would not have been enough to turn anyone around, however this was at one of the hairpins, so 180's are common (I know, I did one in practice).

I must say that Johnnypenso made an amazing pass on both me and Watermelonpunch to take both positions in the prior turn.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Cape Ring is a bizarre track... like a track in a mystical world where things are not quite what they seem. :rolleyes:
In watching the replay, it looked like several cars, including my own, were not obeying the brake being depressed at various times!
I made an embarrassing sort of dive-bomb at a corner that was completely unintentional & unexpected. :ouch:
And apparently someone else did, at the same corner... and it was someone I know would not be doing that either.

All of the tracks for this race were the sort of tracks that can make conservative drivers seem like wild risk-takers. :lol: They're just wild tracks. Cape Ring, Trial Mountain, Eiger.
But I think this was the car to do it in. :)
So you take the good with the bad. :dopey:
And lessons learned for all.

Eiger... the entire track is a risky passing zone! :eek: But particularly the switchback hairpins.
But it is often so much fun.
And OwensRacing definitely excelled there.
But I have to admit, I take whatever line the car & track demand I take (on Eiger)... I often feel like I don't have much say in the matter! :indiff: At least not if I want to keep pointed in a direction that doesn't lead to a wall, off-track, or the wrong way. :scared:

That said, I WILL be pushing for the reverse eiger in some future race... because it's a very neglected track! ;)
I always enjoy shuffle races on Eiger (in wet even better)... either direction.

And I would be interested in putting the RS200 on a 3-lap race at Nurb24hrs, if anyone's interested... let me know! :D
(Though I may say that we might avoid hard tires for that, and go with comfort soft or sports medium!!)

Next up, 1970 Celica!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=244627

Last edited:
Back