FITT 535PP FR Tuner Challenge

I use the same controller setup as Biffa with Auto Transmission. I also borrowed your format, Biffa, just without the DC points.

Tuner 1 - Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione '08
Time - 1:12.134
Great car, but guessing that it was tuned by someone with throttle control; either pedals or stick. I don't have that luxury just mashing the "X" button, but can see how this car can be a contender.

Tuner 2 - BMW M3 Coupe '07
Time - 1:11.862
Excellent handling once you realize how far you can take it. With this car I found myself able to push it just that little bit harder every lap with confidence.

Tuner 3 - Dodge Viper GTS '02
Time - 1:13.298
Wow impressed with the rear suspension and LSD on this car. During the entire test run I never once got the rear tires to go red. Even though it's not the fastest, if this car was used in a longer race, the tire wear might save it. Great job!

Tuner 4 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '04
Time - 1:12.929
Solid car as far as tuning goes, just wish it would have more power.

Tuner 5 - Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08
Time - 1:13:242
Another car that I thought should have done well, but cutting it down to 535pp might be the problem. I love how good this car looks though.

Tuner 6 - Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
Time - 1:11:511
I found this car to be bouncy and unpredictable at first, but that does very well when going through the tricky bit on the back part of the track. Even with a Mongo like me sometimes messing up and clipping the rumble strips, it gives you a chance to correct it.

Tuner 7 - BMW M5 '08
Time - 1:11:651
Not sure why my times are so far off than others with this car. It handled well and ran quick through the gears. Guess I'm not as good as you boys!

Tuner 8 - Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury '07
Time - 1:13:833
A little on the sluggish side, especially through the corners. Wondering if the side bite from the spoiler is contributing to that.

Tuner 9 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Time - 1:13:707
Found this 1 a little hard to handle. I could never predict how it was going to react. Think it would be better in the hands of someone who can run the exact same line every lap.

Tuner 10 - Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT (C4) '96
Time - 1:13.029
Could feel that it's a little on the tight side. Hurting the lap times. Gear box on this one was funny for me using automatic trans, the only car to drop down into 1st gear.

Tuner 11 - Ferrari 599 '06
Time - 1:11.912
This car can be twitchy at times, but quick. Something up with the suspension in the corners, sometimes tight, sometimes loose.

Tuner 12 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08
Time - 1:12:420
Big thumbs up to the tuner on this one. This car usually handles like a half filled bathtub, but that was resolved. I think the PP on this car is messed up because if it had less weight....

Tuner 13 - Lexus IS F '07
Time - 1:12:520
This was another car who's tuner gets a big thumbs up for tire wear. Like the Viper, I only lit up the tires once and that was due to me missing my brake point.

This is a great group of cars (you can see that in most of the times) the tuners have done a great job. If my times were slow for your car or I didn't get on with your car, it's probably nothing to do with the tuning, I'd put it down to driving style. Still loads of fun!!!

Last edited:
EDIT: 8-Oct-13 all testing complete and results submitted.

All cars tested using:

Control - Logitech DFP, coffee table 'rig' and sponge ball brake pedal mod :dopey:
Manual Gears - Paddles
Driving Aids - ABS 1
Track - Rome, Practice Mode, Grip Reduction: Real

Tuner 1 - Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione 08
1:12.623
DC 4.2

This was quite good fun. Fast but a bit loose and care was needed with the throttle. Understeer in the high speed corners prevented better times I think. Quit hard work to keep it tidy. But look at it :drool:

Tuner 2 - BMW M3 Coupe 07
1:12.290
DC 4.8

I really got on with this car. Very nice handling and hard to fault: just get in and drive...fast. Perhaps a bit more care required than it's bigger brother.

Tuner 3 - Viper GTS 02
1:13.514
DC 3.8

A pretty safe tune this and it felt good to start with, but the big improvements didn't come. Felt heavy and pushed on in the corners. Well sorted rear end, however - like and old Kung-Fu master it would not fight back, even under extreme provocation.

Tuner 4 - Corvette Z06 (C5) 04
1:13.667
DC 3.7

Another contender for the wooden spoon, but I felt it was a steady, compliant drive, not troubled by the curbs. It's achilles heel, I suppose, was an inabililty to get the power down. Maybe just lacks pace.

Tuner 5 - Mercedes C63 AMG 08
1:13.537
DC 3.5

One of the few cars here I have used stock - not an easy drive. While this is a big improvement I couldn't really get on with it. I found it a bit unpredictable: no confidence through the (almost) chicane at the end of the back straight and it did not like straying off the line. Felt a bit heavy, and odd gears had me thinking I was short shifting 3-4 after a close ratio 2-3.

Tuner 6 - Camaro SS 10
1:12.296
DC 5.0

As soon as I launched on to the start/finish straight I felt comfortable with this. A great drive, really stable, no understeer - I could really hug the curbing round the long right-hander into the final section. It takes a lot to push the back end out too. The one issue I had was that firm setup meant any clipping of the curb in the tight right of the 'chicane' after the back straight bounced the car to the other side of the road. Hitting this or trying to avoid, definitely cost me time. Having said that, the Camaro would still be my top choice for a longer race.

Tuner 7 - BMW M5 08
1:11.697
DC 4.8

In terms of laptimes, undoubtedly The Daddy of this shoot-out by a significant margin. Really, an excellent tune: fast, great through the corner and I had real confidence about placing the car. The only minor issue I had was that the back-end could be a bit loose if you were a bit early or heavy with loud pedal.

Tuner 8 - Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury 07
1:13.644
DC 3.7

Disappointing performance from the only UK representative. Struggled with understeer and some rear grip issues - maybe the big wing was an act of desparation. Although not a contender or the easiest drive, I did quite enjoy the balancing act for a few laps.

Tuner 9 - Camaro Z28 COUPE 97

1:13.870
DC 3.5

This was the first car I tested, and thought it was really good until I tried some of the others, the close gearing made it feel faster than it was. I didn't get the lines right until I went back for a second try, but it was still the slowest by a tenth. Big understeer was its biggest downfall, while at the back it could spin up. Really nasty looking cars these, but the paint job made it look like a shark :dopey:.

Tuner 10 - Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT (C4) 96
1:13.082
DC 3.9

Middle of the pack. There was one big problem I just couldn't get over: the back end would step out under braking unless you were dead straight. This killed a lot of laps for me, either clouting the barriers or just losing time for correction. I didn't check, but I guess heavy rear bias was employed to try and aid turn-in. It was reasonably quick, though, as otherwise the car was OK, and sweet on the exit (assuming I wasn't sideways).

Tuner 11 - Ferrari 599 06
1:12.182
DC 4.8

I'd never used one of these before, and being almost antagonistic towards modern Ferraris (and not finding them especially nice to drive in GT5), I was expecting this one to be a chore. I went straight on from the Challenger to this and found I was missing the turning points, fighting understeer, spinning up on the exit...yep as I thought. Then something clicked - earlier brakes, smoooooth on the inputs and the times dropped. Ok it's a bit twitchy but that's part of the fun - this car feels alive. A bit more time could have seen me in the 1:11s for sure. I really enjoyed this, though it could perhaps get hard work keeping on top of it in race and might be a different beast using controller.

Tuner 12 - Challenger SRT8 08
1:12.808
DC 4.7

Big heavy car, looking moody in matt blue. Doesn't drive like a heavy lump though, feels pretty tight and easy going despite the lard. Well done to the tuner, really liked it and got a good time.

Tuner 13 - Lexus ISF 07
1:13.532
DC 4.2

A great drive: tidy on the brakes, precise turn-in and little understeer, it's hard to lose the rear on exit. I just couldn't get a better time though - another nice drive but lacks pace. And the gears got a bit tiresome- would be easier driving auto I guess.

Last edited:
🤬

I'm not doing brilliantly. Extremely confused as to why the testers' times are a LOT slower than my own though, I'm a pretty poor driver...

Tune #2 is now on share.

With all cars now shared and some lap times now posted, feel free to start guessing the list of tuners matched to cars. Send me a PM and I will publicly announce how many you have correct.

Google Docs Official Score Sheet updated. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8785114#post8785114

Current Leaders

Lap Times
1. BMW M5
2. Camaro SS '10
3. Ferrari 599

Driver's Choice
1. BMW M5
2. Alfa romeo 8C
2. Ferrari 599

Last edited:
I haven't done a lot of FITT test driving but I have to say that so far, this is the best bunch of cars yet. Most of the cars were at least good, some great, and only one I struggled to be consistent with...my results so far. 10 laps only in each car, no more no less:)

Vehicle Selection:
Tuner 1 - Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione ‘08 - 1:11.287
Tuner 2 - BMW M3 Coupe ’07 - hosted by MotorCtyHamilton
Tuner 3 - Viper GTS ’02 - 1:12.676
Tuner 4 - Corvette Zo6 - hosted by GTPMotorCityHami
Tuner 5 - Mercedes C63 AMG ’08 - 1:12.526
Tuner 6 - Camaro SS ’10 - 1:11.214
Tuner 7 - BMW M5 '08 - 1:10.959
Tuner 8 - Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury ’07 - 1:12.831
Tuner 9 - Camaro Z28 COUPE '97 - 1:12.994
Tuner 10 - Corvette ZR-1 (C4) '90 - 1:12.017
Tuner 11 - Ferrari 599 ’06 - hosted by GTPMotorCityHami
Tuner 12 - Challenger SRT8 ‘08 - hosted by GTPMotorCityHami
Tuner 13 - Lexus ISF ‘07 -- hosted by GTPMotorCityHami

Welp, I'm right where I expected to be.

Unfortunately, I'm a cynical bastard, so I'm really not doing too well. :lol:
I'm doing about as well as I could have expected, will still be relying on people enjoying the ride, because I'm seeing 1:10 bombs being dropped everywhere!! :ouch::crazy::ouch:
🤬

I'm not doing brilliantly. Extremely confused as to why the testers' times are a LOT slower than my own though, I'm a pretty poor driver...
Where you driving as per FITT regs? I only ask, because I got suckered into running a bunch of laps with SRF on. I sent Bob and his mates off to run one of the Seasonals to put some mileage on the car, it must have defaulted SRF on, because when I went back to testing, I made a couple of tweaks and thought I'd turned into a tuning god. My heart sank when I swapped up to SS tyres and say SRF turned on.

Don't forget that driving style and switching between cars fairly quickly will effect people. I know that of the cars I've tested so far, the most noticeable difference is under braking. I've broke quite a few cars :sly:

I haven't done a lot of FITT test driving but I have to say that so far, this is the best bunch of cars yet. Most of the cars were at least good, some great, and only one I struggled to be consistent with...my results so far. 10 laps only in each car, no more no less:)

I've tested for quite a few, certainly not all, and I have to concur with you. Looking back at some of the comments I've written for this, I've been super critical, largely because they all drive pretty nicely. I've still got half the field to run, so I reserve the right to change my mind and let you guys know how much you suck!! :mischievous:

Great times, btw...

{Cy}

🤬

Have you borrowed your car from Hami/Biffa and then tried putting down some times? My car was slower when I borrowed it to test compared to my lap times when I was tuning it. During tuning, my car was reaching the mid 1:11's...on the final results borrowing it back, it's not in the same ball park.

GT5 535PP Tuner Challenge on Sport Soft
Scoring:
Fastest lap calculations – A maximum of 10 points can be earned from lap times. The tune with the fastest average lap time across all testers will earn 10 points. All other tunes will earn their score based upon how close their average lap time is to the fastest tune. For example, if the fastest tune earned the average lap time of 1:21.688 and the 2nd fastest tune equates to 1:21.832, the 2nd place tune receives 9.988 points (121.688 divided by 121.832 *10 = 9.988). Another example, if the fastest tune earned the average lap time of 1:21.688 and the slowest tune equates to 1:27.271, the slowest tune receives 9.56 points (121.688 divided by 127.271*10 = 9.56). This method of scoring rewards tunes for being very close to the front and will keep the lap time portion of the competition very close.

For respect to accuracy:

21 from 100, is not equal to 21 from 60.

Then,

1:21.688 = 81.688 s, and not 121.688 sth

1:21.832 = 81.832 s, and not 121.832 sth

1:27.271 = 87.271 s, and not 127.271 sth

So,

81.688 divided by 81.832 * 10 = 9.982 not 9.988

and

81.688 divided by 87.271 * 10 = 9.360 not 9.560

Final Test Drive Results Due: Wednesday, October 8th

Which is Tuesday. :)

Have you borrowed your car from Hami/Biffa and then tried putting down some times? My car was slower when I borrowed it to test compared to my lap times when I was tuning it. During tuning, my car was reaching the mid 1:11's...on the final results borrowing it back, it's not in the same ball park.

If so, then every tester should borrow every car for the testing sessions.

Last edited:

No, I haven't, but surely it doesn't make that big a difference? It would be a pretty fundamental problem if it did...

For respect to accuracy:

21 from 100, is not equal to 21 from 60.

Then,

1:21.688 = 81.688 s, and not 121.688 sth

1:21.832 = 81.832 s, and not 121.832 sth

1:27.271 = 87.271 s, and not 127.271 sth

So,

81.688 divided by 81.832 * 10 = 9.982 not 9.988

and

81.688 divided by 87.271 * 10 = 9.360 not 9.560

Which is Tuesday. :)

If so, then every tester should borrow every car for the testing sessions.

The score sheet does translate the times into seconds first. The write up was copy/paste from an old shootout.

Let's move the testing deadline to end after a weekend. How about October 14th?

Since all cars have been gifted to me, the test drivers will have to run all cars through share. If you are both testing and tuning, you have to run your car under the same conditions as the other. Jump in, 10 or 20 laps and take the best.

No, I haven't, but surely it doesn't make that big a difference? It would be a pretty fundamental problem if it did...

I noticed a problem when I was doing all sorts of transmission tests a few months ago (part of the reason why I got frustrated and quit doing them) and it was very odd how sometimes the lap times were off anywhere from .2-.6 when no adjustments were made to the car. I'm not great, but I know I'm consistent and that's a pretty large gap. Not sure if there has been any sort of patch to correct that (highly doubt) but for the sake of keeping everything on a level playing field for this challenge, I just made sure to borrow all the cars when getting my final times. I'm interested in knowing what others may have encountered with this... their time during tuning vs. time when borrowing it back from Hami/Biffa

I noticed a problem when I was doing all sorts of transmission tests a few months ago (part of the reason why I got frustrated and quit doing them) and it was very odd how sometimes the lap times were off anywhere from .2-.6 when no adjustments were made to the car. I'm not great, but I know I'm consistent and that's a pretty large gap. Not sure if there has been any sort of patch to correct that (highly doubt) but for the sake of keeping everything on a level playing field for this challenge, I just made sure to borrow all the cars when getting my final times. I'm interested in knowing what others may have encountered with this... their time during tuning vs. time when borrowing it back from Hami/Biffa

I'm not sure if it's relevant but there is an existing bug where the tuned transmission on a car will just reset to 0.000... It shows up on the tune sheet like that, and all the bars on the transmisson screen are at full left.

FR sent to your GTP account, MCH. Once that has been accepted I shall complete my testing.

Is there anything else I need to know that's changed for this shootout that may not be in the OP?

Had a good but gruelling session last night, so now I've tested all the cars 👍

(Un)fortunately I found my Mojo and was finding much better lines through the first half of the track. This means I now must test the earlier cars again - I redid the Jag and the 90's Camaro and took a good chunk off my posted times to get below 1:14:dopey:.

Hami - I don't want to cause you more work but it seems only fair that I run a few more laps with the other cars I already posted. I will note the times as update on my results post.

Really nice cars here and not a lot a between the main pack 👍.

Last edited:
Hi All
I'm not happy with my tune but i did 1:12.124 by it short time for me to drive it more so i hope it will do will in your hands tester . Have a good day every one .

ND

Hello my friends ,

That was my post before about my car drive and lap time . And I'm happy that all the drivers who test my car get almost the same of my time and that make my car drive the same in different hand and different drive style . 👍
Thank you all for your time testing my car 👍

ND:dopey:

FR sent to your GTP account, MCH. Once that has been accepted I shall complete my testing.

Is there anything else I need to know that's changed for this shootout that may not be in the OP?

Only this for Drivers Choice:

We should probably just do a five point scale since noone really gives below 5's anyway on a ten point.

My ranking:
5.0 - among the best tunes that I have driven in the game.
4.0 to 4.9 - has maybe on minor flaw but very easy to overcome (example: rear kicks out slightly on the exit of the slow 2nd gear corner).
3.0 to 3.9 - with a few changes the tune would be more fun to drive or could really become a contender.
2.0 to 2.9 - Tune needs work. Some big things were overlooked. Hard to drive consistent laps.
1.9 and below - among the worst tunes that I have driven. Just doesn't fit my driving style at all.

Had a good but gruelling session last night, so now I've tested all the cars 👍

(Un)fortunately I found my Mojo and was finding much better lines through the first half of the track. This means I now must test the earlier cars again - I redid the Jag and the 90's Camaro and took a good chunk off my posted times to get below 1:14:dopey:.

Hami - I don't want to cause you more work but it seems only fair that I run a few more laps with the other cars I already posted. I will note the times as update on my results post.

Really nice cars here and not a lot a between the main pack 👍.

Like you said, just note for me which times have been updated. You should think more about what is fair for the tuners than what makes things easier for me. I can't wait to start testing this weekend. I think with this group, I am going to run more laps than the typical shootout. I really like Rome and I really like FR cars in GT5.

Hello my friends ,

That was my post before about my car drive and lap time . And I'm happy that all the drivers who test my car get almost the same of my time and that make my car drive the same in different hand and different drive style . 👍
Thank you all for your time testing my car 👍

ND:dopey:

Anyone want to take a shot at guessing which car Newdriver has entered?

Only this for Drivers Choice:

We should probably just do a five point scale since noone really gives below 5's anyway on a ten point.

My ranking:
5.0 - among the best tunes that I have driven in the game.
4.0 to 4.9 - has maybe on minor flaw but very easy to overcome (example: rear kicks out slightly on the exit of the slow 2nd gear corner).
3.0 to 3.9 - with a few changes the tune would be more fun to drive or could really become a contender.
2.0 to 2.9 - Tune needs work. Some big things were overlooked. Hard to drive consistent laps.
1.9 and below - among the worst tunes that I have driven. Just doesn't fit my driving style at all.

Right, okay. From my preliminary testing with the Camaro SS '10 I think this is going to be a fun shootout. My laptimes are incredibly below my usual average, but Rome was never a strong course for me, even worse now that I'm so rusty.

So I won't post final laptimes until I'm happy with them. Drivers choice might come before laptimes in this case.

👍:tup:We have to praise the testers in addition to drive all the cars still have to adapt to the setup of each car trying to get better results without harming anyone but helping to improve congratulations testers

Testing is done, here are the results:

Tuner 1
Alfa Romeo 8C

1:12.249

4.7 - On second testing it felt a lot better, I was a lot more comfortable driving it and it felt more consistent - I really pushed it a lot more and it's flaws, although minor did show through. I'm glad I did retest this car because it is a good tune. Smooth in general, but sometimes the back slipped out. Really great tune, but I still feel it's lacking something the better cars had naturally.

Tuner 2
BMW M3 Coupe

1:11.987

5.0 - The M3 has always been one of my favourite cars in the game, and this tune didn't disappoint. Handling overall was fantastic, as was to be expected of a great car, nothing was wrong with it in my hands. Superb.

Tuner 3
Dodge Viper GTS

1:13.871

3.2 - What can I say other than this is slow. It is, but it only lacks this speed in the corners - once it's up to speed, it's fine. Entry slow, turn-in is poor but this is just the start as once through the corner the exit is poor, it really lacks acceleration here especially. Otherwise handling was okay though a bit of a disappointment, really.

Tuner 4
Chevrolet Corvette Z06

1:13.826

3.6 - Another slow one. Turn-in was quite good with this one, but exit was difficult (the rear kicked out on a regular basis) and again it seemed like it lacked power, it wasn't just a lack of speed through the corners, it just felt under-powered overall.

Tuner 5
Mercedes-Benz C 63

1:13.889

2.6 - Basically a heavy car (but it's not that heavy), it just handles like it unfortunately. Nice acceleration i.e. power, but the awful gearbox makes using that power difficult. No oversteer that I could find, exit was better for it with the good acceleration and no kicking out, but lacked speed through the corners because of the heavy understeer.

Tuner 6
Chevrolet Camaro SS

1:12.119

5.0 - Once comfortable with this car I just fell in love. It filled me with confidence lap after lap and I felt I could take corners faster, brake later and still not crash. The lap-time says it all, I feel with more time I could get in to the 1:11's with this car, it's just perfect if driven the way it wants. If mistreated it can let go, but this is only if pushed the wrong way on the right-hander. In all ways well-deserving of a 5. I felt good driving this car, and a Camaro has never made me feel like that.

Tuner 7
BMW M5

1:11.861

5.5 - Just wow. A car this consistent deserves a 6, but it will have to make do with a 5 on a 5 point scale. First car that I could get under 1:12 but the all laps were in the 1:12 range, second lap was .012 faster than the Camaro, then it just got better, time posted was achieved at lap 5, and the next 5 laps couldn't improve on it, but were still consistent.
If this car was not tuned by the tuner that I think it was, then I would be very surprised.

Tuner 8
Jaguar XK Coupe

1.14:145

3.7 - A lot to be left unsaid with this one. It's a nice car (i.e. luxury) but just not competitive. Handling was better than expected, but the understeer and lack of power made this car a very dull prospect, though nice for driving the family to the country club.

Tuner 9
Chevrolet Camaro Z28

1:14.314

3.9 - Suffered from similar traits to the Jag. Slow, some understeer, not too much, but it was noticeable. But again, a well-tuned, yet slow car. A lot of wheelspin (minus the rear-kick-out syndrome) on exit also didn't help. Nothing majorly wrong with it, just held back by a few things.

Tuner 10
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT

Where is this car hosted? I can't find it. Reading from the OP
The only car that's shared is the GRAND SPORT 96 not the ZR1 90

1:13.285

3.5 - A strange car to say the least. The gearbox was the issue. Handling was fine, once I got used to the strange powerband/gears and how this relationship was explored in each corner. Let's just say I could have gone faster with another 20 laps, but by the 10th lap, I had just about gotten used to how to drive the car, let alone understand how it could make me go faster. Not that it would have mattered, the car is not as fast as some of the others so the effort would probably be wasted. Let's just say the car was not completely alien to me after a few laps, but it was somewhat foreign.
I have an inkling about the tuner here too. But I could be completely wrong on this one.

Tuner 11
Ferrari 599

1:12.368

4.4 - Given the right inputs this car drives really nicely. But that said it can be quite demanding with the rear stepping out if not controlled with care on the sharp right-hander. Overall a very nice tune, I guess the time says all that's really to be said about the car. Some slight understeer on the sweepers, but the acceleration and top speed allowed room for error in the lap time.

Tuner 12
Dodge Challenger SRT8

1:12.428

4.6 - This car is a cornering car, rather than a top speed car. The car excelled through the corners, but felt slow on the straights, and this explains the lap time. It attacked the corners but understeered a tad on the sweepers. Overall a very nice tune.

Tuner 13
Lexus IS-F

1:13.219

3.3 - Like the GRAND SPORT I must have spent more time getting used to the gearbox than worrying about the lap time which was rather poor, but it was the best I could do using Manual. The 8 gears take a while to get used to, but I found once I had gotten used to them, I couldn't go any faster, despite finding the perfect gear for entry, then a lower gear for exit, just like 'vette. This was because it just wasn't as fast as it's competitors in this shootout, but nonetheless not a bad car to drive, handling was good, acceleration somewhat hindered by the gears - I guess automatic might improve on this - so perhaps the tune is fine, just not fast enough really, and somewhat of an oddball choice.

TESTING COMPLETE

Last edited:
Back